Connect with us

Nebraska

‘World’s largest’ time capsule opened in Nebraska 50 years later

Published

on

‘World’s largest’ time capsule opened in Nebraska 50 years later


SEWARD, Neb. — Treasures from 1975, sealed inside what the World Record Academy once called the “world’s largest time capsule,” went on display Friday, drawing hundreds from across the country to catch a glimpse of relics from the past.

Thousands of letters, pet rocks, artwork, a groovy teal suit and even a yellow Chevy Vega had been preserved inside the capsule — a portal to another era — for half a century.

“This is the culmination of 50 years of planning on the part of my father,” Trish Davisson Fisher said.

“My father, Harold Davisson, wanted to wait for his grandchildren to remember life in 1975. He was a big proponent of life. He did everything big,” she told NBC News.

Advertisement

Back then, sealing the items was a logistical feat. Fisher said her father created a ventilation system in an attempt to keep moisture out.

In 1983, after learning they had lost the world record from the World Record Academy, the family added a pyramid atop the capsule to recapture the title.

“There were packages from, I’m going to say, 3,000 people, letters and packages, letters to themselves, letters to the grandchildren, letters to their heirs,” Davisson said.

But inside, some items fared better than others.

“A lot of the other packages that were wrapped in plastic have come out very, very well, but we have a layer of mold-type items on the outside of all the paper and cardboard. But again, I would say about 80% of the people are going to be able to get their items back, and 20% are going to be disappointed,” Davisson said.

Advertisement

Stephanie Fisher, who is not related to Trish, traveled from Colorado with her parents to retrieve their artifact, a cassette tape that contains voice messages from members of her family.

“My parents didn’t think that they would be here 50 years later to retrieve it with us. So it’s pretty special to know that their voices [are] in there that I haven’t heard in a long time,” Fisher said, filled with emotion.

Chris Galen made the journey from Virginia.

“I made a mental note that in 50 years if I was still alive — because I’d be in my 60s then — I would want to come back here and be part of the opening,” he told NBC News.

Despite the thousands of letters that need to be sorted, Galen was able to find one from his mother.

Advertisement

“I hope you had a good education, a happy and successful life, rich in many ways,” he read from the letter.

“I’m hoping as she’s looking down on us from somewhere that I can report back to her that a lot of the things she wanted for me and for my brother came true,” Galen said.

Clark Kolterman, who was there in 1975, put his wedding invitation in the capsule.

“I can’t believe they found it,” he said, surrounded by his children.

“I have to thank Mr. Davisson for his insight. And you know, his idea wasn’t perfect, but it worked, and as a result it’s been very successful,” Kolternman said.

Advertisement

Trish said she believes her father would be very proud of Friday’s celebration and that she’s learned a lot in the 50 years since the capsule was sealed.

“Life is too short. You’re going to hit an age where you want more time and you know you don’t have it,” she said.

She said she plans on creating a permanent display for the capsule to help future generations remember the year 1975.

Galen said the message goes deeper than artifacts.

“It’s not about what’s inside of it. It’s about what’s inside of us and who we were back in ’75, and who we are today,” he said.

Advertisement



Source link

Nebraska

Nebraska Game and Parks 250-mile challenge offers prizes for getting outdoors

Published

on

Nebraska Game and Parks 250-mile challenge offers prizes for getting outdoors


Nebraska Game and Parks is offering residents a chance to win prizes simply for getting outside and moving, as part of a challenge honoring America’s 250th birthday.

The Outdoor Nebraska 250-Mile Challenge invites participants to log miles through activities like walking, running, kayaking, horseback riding and more using any fitness app. The goal is to reach 250 miles before the end of the year. Once completed, participants fill out a form on the Nebraska Game and Parks website to become eligible for prizes.

Mike Selman, a regular walker at Zorinsky Lake, said the challenge caught his attention.

“I think it’s great, as long as you put in the time and effort,” Selman said.

Advertisement

Selman said getting outdoors is already a big part of his routine.

“I absolutely love it, I love being outdoors, just the beauty, the nature, the trees, the water,” Selman said.

He said one of his favorite aspects of the challenge is the opportunity to explore Nebraska’s many outdoor spaces.

“Especially here, around Zorinsky, Standing Bear, Flanagan, you got great opportunities and great places to go,” Selman said.

When asked if he planned to submit his miles, Selman did not hesitate.

Advertisement

“I’ll definitely think about it, most definitely,” Selman said.

Between Memorial Day and the end of the year, logging just over 1 mile a day would be enough to reach the 250-mile goal and qualify for prizes.

Download our apps today for all of our latest coverage.

Get the latest news and weather delivered straight to your inbox.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Nebraska

OSU Softball: Cowgirls’ Super Regional Opener Against Nebraska Postponed for Weather

Published

on

OSU Softball: Cowgirls’ Super Regional Opener Against Nebraska Postponed for Weather


We’ll have to wait a bit longer to get into the Cowgirls’ Super Regional.

A rainy night in Lincoln meant the teams only managed to get four outs into the Super between Oklahoma State and Nebraska. The game is tied at 0. The weather delay lasted about two hours before they called it.

The game will resume at 4 p.m. Friday and be televised on ESPN2. They will not play another game Friday, as Game 2 will now take place at 4 p.m. Saturday.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Nebraska

Nebraska lands Georgia OL KD Jones for 2027 class

Published

on

Nebraska lands Georgia OL KD Jones for 2027 class


The Nebraska football team added its third 2027 offensive line commitment and addition from the state of Georgia on Wednesday.

Loganville (Ga.) Grayson offensive lineman KD Jones officially announced his commitment to NU this week. The 6-foot-4, 270-pound Jones picked the Huskers over Georgia Tech, Auburn, Kentucky and Virginia Tech. He visited Lincoln on May 6 and is scheduled to take his official visit to Nebraska on June 6.

***JOIN HuskerOnline for $1 for your first 5 days, then get 50% off your first year***

The Huskers first offered Jones in April, after offensive line coach Geep Wade had previously been recruiting him at Georgia Tech.

Advertisement

“Coach Wade called me and offered me today,” Jones told HuskerOnline on Apr. 25. “He has been on me for a long time, ever since he was at Tech. So his interest wasn’t anything new to me. He came to watch me train at school and was amazed. He offered the next day.”

Jones joins safety Corey Hadley from the state of Georgia in NU’s 2027 recruiting class.

“I knew nothing about Nebraska before the offer,” Jones said in April. But now that Coach Wade and Coach (Lonnie) Teasley are there, I know I can trust them.”

Jones had planned to take official visits to all the schools recruiting him, but his early commitment to NU appears to have shut down those visits.

He jones Omaha (Neb.) Millard North’s Matt Erickson and fellow Grayson product Jordan Agbanoma are the other offensive linemen in the Huskers’ 2027 recruiting class. He’s now the 10th commitment in Nebraska’s class of 2027.

Advertisement

Never miss breaking news or another HuskerOnline article again. Click HERE to sign up for HuskerOnline’s Daily and Breaking News Newsletters



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending