Connect with us

Missouri

New Yorkers confused by appearance of Missouri campaign signs: ‘Everyone with eyes is talking’

Published

on

New Yorkers confused by appearance of Missouri campaign signs: ‘Everyone with eyes is talking’


BETHPAGE, N.Y. (KCTV) – The residents of Long Island, New York, have been spending a lot more time talking about Missouri politics this week than usual, but not for any reason you would guess.

Within the last week, yard signs campaigning for Missouri Representative Aaron McMullen have started to appear all across the island.

The strangest part of this mystery is twofold—not only does McMullen have no apparent ties to Long Island, the signs are promoting his bid for the Missouri Senate that ended after the Aug. 6 primaries.

McMullen ran to be the Republican candidate for the 2024 Missouri State Senate District 11 race but came in second place to opponent Joe Nicola. This makes the sudden appearance of the signs, which read “Vote Andrew MucMullen Missouri State Senate” all the more strange.

Advertisement
Aaron McMullen campaign signs pictured in different areas of Bethpage.(Michelle Levine)

Michelle Levine lives on Long Island and said the universal feeling amongst residents is “confusion.”

“I started seeing these signs 5 days ago, and didn’t think anything of it when I saw the first couple,” Levine told KCTV5. “Then, when it got to the level where I was seeing more Aaron McMullen signs than Trump, Harris, and all other yard signs COMBINED- my reaction shifted to extreme confusion.”

She said it’s been the talk of the town all week—“Everyone with eyes is talking about it.”

“I find myself talking with my friends and neighbors about it almost every day. We share photos in group chats, and one of my friends even took a sign and put it in their backyard,” Levine said.

She explained a few different theories she’s seen as to why the signs are popping up.

Advertisement

For one, about 1,300 miles away from Bethpage, New York, in the far southwest corner of the state, is Bethpage, Missouri. Levine said some people think that’s where the mixup happened.

One commenter in the Long Island subreddit agreed, saying it was probably a mistake to have them shipped to Bethpage but that there was nothing else to do with them but put them up.

Levine said other people think it’s a strategic move by the Missouri Representative’s campaign, and “that McMullen is trying to reach high income citizens that would be open to donating to his campaign.” What campaign that would be is unclear.

Another Reddit user, responding to the question “Does anyone know why this is here?” perhaps put it best:

KCTV5 reached out to McMullen for comment but has not yet heard back.

Advertisement
ALSO READ: Pedestrian killed after BMW runs red light, knocks power out at KC intersection



Source link

Missouri

Google announces $15 billion data center in mid-Missouri

Published

on

Google announces  billion data center in mid-Missouri


ST. LOUIS, Mo. (First Alert 4) – Google announced it is bringing a $15 billion data center to mid-Missouri, located next to an already approved $35 billion data center run by Amazon.

The data centers are slated to go in Montgomery County in New Florence, 20 miles west of Warrenton along Interstate 70.

The two data centers combined would take up nearly 2,000 acres. Busch Stadium and Ballpark Village take up 28 acres, making the combined data center footprint roughly the size of 70 Busch Stadiums.

Google explained how it will be using advanced technology, hoping to limit water usage and reduce the environmental impact.

Advertisement

“We look forward to expanding Google’s investments in Missouri and helping Missourians benefit from the next wave of American innovation,” said Ruth Porat, President and Chief Investment Officer of Alphabet and Google. “To deliver the upside of technology, we are investing in workforce development and energy affordability, both directly and through our partnerships with local organizations. This commitment will provide thousands of Missourians with valuable technical and trade skills, while supporting energy affordability for residents in Montgomery County and across the state.”

According to Missouri Governor Mike Kehoe, in accordance with Senate Bill 4, Google will continue to pay for 100% of the power the data center uses and any new infrastructure costs that are directly driven by its operations.

This is a breaking news story that will be updated.

Copyright 2026 KMOV. All rights reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Missouri

Remains of missing Missouri Valley man found, arrest made

Published

on

Remains of missing Missouri Valley man found, arrest made


play

The remains of a Missouri Valley man, missing for nearly three years, were found by law enforcement in April.

Jesse George, 35, was reported missing on June 29, 2023. The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, in conjunction with the Missouri Valley Police Department and the Harrison County Sheriff’s Office continued to investigate his disappearance, according to a news release from the Iowa DCI.

Advertisement

On April 15, 2026, law enforcement excavated a location four miles northwest of Missouri Valley where human remains were found, the release said. The remains were positively identified as George’s and the Iowa State Medical Examiner ruled his death a homicide.

Joseph Langford, 52, also of Missouri Valley, was arrested by the Iowa DCI in George’s death on Monday, May 18. He was charged with first-degree murder and abuse of a corpse.

An investigation into George’s death is ongoing.

Langford admitted to killing, burying body to others

George was last seen with Langford near a camper around Fourth Street in Missouri Valley on the morning of June 29, 2023. Langford later admitted the two had an argument in the camper, according to court filings.

Later that morning, around 4:30 a.m., Langford had a friend help move a car that was parked in front of the camper. Langford was armed with a rifle and wouldn’t let his friend in the camper, the court filing said. He later told the same friend that “somebody’s gone, they’re not coming back, and I’m going to prison.”

Advertisement

Langford and his sister took the camper to an Interstate 29 rest area, where they were both employed, and cleaned the camper, according to the court filings.

A report to local law enforcement was made about the camper. Upon arrival, law enforcement saw bullet holes in the side of the camper, and blood was observed in the camper. The camper was processed by law enforcement at that time. Forensic testing determined the blood to be George’s.

About a year later, Langford admitted to killing George to another friend, the court filings said. He also told a coworker he had shot and killed George in the camper. He also admitted to burying George’s body behind the rest area.

An autopsy determined George had been shot multiple times.

Advertisement

Langford is in the custody of the Harrison County Jail on a $1 million cash bond, with a court appearance scheduled for May 27.

Kyle Werner is the breaking news and public safety reporter for the Register. Reach him at kwerner@registermedia.com.



Source link

Continue Reading

Missouri

Demolition timeline detailed for Providence Road bridge over I-70

Published

on

Demolition timeline detailed for Providence Road bridge over I-70


Providence Road over Interstate 70 in Columbia is set to close for five months starting in late May, according to a news release from the Missouri Department of Transportation.

The process will begin with demolition and removal of the overpass bridge and pedestrian bridge beginning at 9 p.m. May 29 until 9 a.m. May 31, according to the release. During the demolition and removal of the bridge, there will be no access to or from Providence Road from I-70, and both directions of the I-70 will be reduced to one lane.

The ramp from Range Line Street onto westbound I-70 will be closed for the duration of the demolition and replacement, according to the release. Pedestrians will have to find an alternate route during this time due to the removal of the pedestrian bridge.

Advertisement

Once the demolition and cleanup are complete on May 31, I-70 will return to normal traffic patterns in the area, according to the release. 

As the new bridge is built over the five-month period, the ramp from westbound I-70 to Providence Road will be closed, and there will be no access for drivers to cross the interstate. Signed detours will be available for alternate routes, according to the news release.

The new overpass bridge will be longer to accommodate a third lane of I-70 in each direction and raised to allow passage of taller vehicles, according to the release. The overpass will feature pedestrian crossings and “beautification elements” including decorative lighting, railings and fencing, stone-pattern retaining walls and bridge facade enhancements.

The work is part of MoDOT’s Rocheport to Columbia I-70 improvement project, which is part of a larger program to expand the interstate to three lanes in each direction and improve interchanges and overpasses along the corridor.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending