Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis Man Gets 8.5 Years For Trying To Join ISIS In Somalia
MINNEAPOLIS, MN — A 23-year-old Minneapolis man was sentenced Wednesday to 102 months in prison and 15 years of supervised release after pleading guilty to attempting to provide material support and resources to ISIS, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota.
Prosecutors said Abdisatar Ahmed Hassan tried to travel from Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport to Somalia in December 2024 to join and fight for the foreign terrorist organization.
ISIS has been designated a foreign terrorist organization by the U.S. secretary of state since 2014.
According to court documents cited by federal prosecutors, Hassan consumed and reposted ISIS propaganda, obtained bombmaking and weapons-related manuals, and communicated on social media with ISIS media wings and recruiters operating in Somalia.
The U.S. attorney’s office said Hassan bought a one-way ticket, left Minneapolis for Chicago on Dec. 29, 2024, and was prevented from continuing to Somalia after an interview by Customs and Border Protection’s Tactical Terrorism Response Team.
Prosecutors said he later continued researching ISIS attacks and posting pro-ISIS content online before the FBI arrested him on Feb. 27, 2025.
Hassan pleaded guilty Sept. 29, 2025, before Judge Donovan W. Frank, who imposed the sentence on April 22.
In the announcement, FBI Minneapolis Special Agent in Charge Christopher D. Dotson said, “Abdisatar Hassan took active steps in an attempt to join and support ISIS—a brutal foreign terrorist organization responsible for the violent deaths of thousands of innocent people.”
He added that the sentence “takes a would-be terrorist off the streets and sends a clear message that the FBI and our partners will unremittingly pursue anyone seeking to join or support a foreign terrorist organization.”
This case was investigated by the FBI, the Joint Terrorism Task Force, Customs and Border Protection and the New York Police Department.
Minneapolis, MN
Stabbing at Minneapolis Fine Line leaves man hospitalized: MPD
A man was stabbed at the Fine Line music venue on Sunday night, according to Minneapolis police.
Investigators say that an altercation inside the Fine Line led to the stabbing but no arrests have been made.
The victim was hospitalized with potentially life-threatening injuries, according to police.
Hip Hop artist, Babyfxce E, was performing at the Fine Line at the time of the incident.
Minneapolis, MN
Women were arguing over $50 debt before fatal Minneapolis apartment shooting, charges say
Charges say two women had been arguing over $50 when one of them fatally shot the other at a Minneapolis apartment earlier this month.
A 42-year-old Minneapolis woman was charged with second-degree murder for the May 9 shooting, according to the criminal complaint filed in Hennepin County on Friday.
Police were called to an apartment building located on the 2400 block of Pillsbury Avenue South, where they found a woman who had been shot. She later died at the hospital.
Officers spoke to a witness who rented the apartment where the shooting took place. He told police the victim and suspect had been over, along with an unknown man. The two women were allegedly arguing over $50.
The witness said that while he was in the bathroom, he heard the unknown man say “what are you doing?” before shots were fired, according to the complaint. He claims he saw the suspect with a gun earlier that day.
Both the suspect and the unknown man left the apartment before police arrived. Officers obtained survelliance video, which charges say showed a woman matching the suspect’s appearance leaving the apartment in a hurry shortly after the shooting.
Investigators found and interviewed the unknown man, who said the suspect and victim had been arguing over a debt when the suspect went into the bedroom and returned with a pistol. He says he told the suspect to stop, but she fired multiple shots at the victim anyway. He added that the suspect threatened him as they left the building, and he got away from her as soon as he could, according to charges.
The suspect originally denied any knowledge of the shooting, but eventually admitted to being at the apartment where it took place after being confronted with survelliance video images. She denied being involved in the shooting itself.
The suspect is currently in custody. Her bail has been set at $1 million.
Minneapolis, MN
5 years after her killing, Aniya Allen’s grandfather is returning to peace activism
Monday will mark five years since the tragic killing of 6-year-old Aniya Allen in Minneapolis.
Family says it’s a loss that will never heal.
“I went from anger to being heartbroken, “said KG Wilson.
Allen, 6, was hit by a stray bullet. It was the second of three child shootings in a three-week span that shook Minneapolis.
After that, Allen’s grandfather walked away from his well-known role as an advocate for peace. Now five years later, he’s ready to push for change again.
“I’m coming out of a mask of tears, hurt, anger and grief,” said Wilson.
The pain of losing a granddaughter continues to hurt his soul.
“I cannot believe that human beings can hold in a secret of somebody who shoots and kills an innocent child,” Wilson said.
The person who shot and killed Allen has not been found. In February, William Burton was sentenced for straw purchasing dozens of guns, including one used in the shooting of Allen.
For years, he stood on street corners, helping families searching for justice after their loved ones were taken by gun violence.
When Allen was murdered, he left that work and left Minneapolis.
His pain turned to anger.
Sitting on the bench where he announced his retirement five years ago, Wilson has turned his anger into action.
“So much grief and so much anger still, but I decided to, instead of just sitting, to channel it into something positive and productive. I’ll be coming up out of retirement after five years it won’t be in Minneapolis, but it will be in St. Paul,” said Wilson.
Wilson wants to help, anyway he can, to stop the violence and save lives.
Working in Minneapolis is too painful for him, his focus now is on the capital.
“I couldn’t save the life of Trinity or Aniya. I couldn’t save LaDavionne from getting shot. None of those three children, but maybe I can come back out of retirement and save somebody’s child or their grandchild and that’s my mission and it will all be in memory of Aniya.”
A $180,000 reward is still being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction in Allen’s killing.
Wilson is planning an Angel-versary celebration for Allen on Monday. Family and friends will gather at Lakewood Cemetery at 4:30 p.m. for a memorial to include a ballon launch. Everyone is invited.
-
Washington, D.C2 minutes agoMayor shares ‘grave concern’ about federal police pursuits in DC
-
Cleveland, OH8 minutes agoMetroparks reopens after shutting down 2 lakefront locations due to overcrowding
-
Austin, TX14 minutes agoDelta doubling flight schedule between Las Vegas and Austin, Texas – CDC Gaming
-
Alabama20 minutes agoCAMPAIGN 2026: Voters Guide for Alabama Primaries – WAKA 8
-
Alaska26 minutes agoMemorial Day travel plans shift as Alaska gas prices near record highs
-
Arizona32 minutes ago
Autopsy says the death of a Haitian man detained in Arizona was related to his dental woes
-
Arkansas38 minutes agoThree Reasons Arkansas Fans Should Be Optimistic for This Season
-
California44 minutes agoKars4Kids ordered to pull ads in California over claims donors were misled