Indianapolis, IN
Part of Monument Circle closes down as Spark returns
INDIANAPOLIS — Spark on the Circle has returned and closed closing down a quarter of Monument Circle to traffic for the second straight year.
Last year, Spark shut down the southwest quadrant of Monument Circle. This year’s version is on the northwest quadrant.
Organizer Jim Walker, executive director of Big Car Collaborative, “Each time, we’re learning something and we’re getting numbers and data and observations that say, ‘Well, here’s what might work.’”
Last year, Spark saw 78,000 people use the pop-up park in five months. Organizers anticipate more people this year because it’ll be open for an additional month.
A welcome truck will greet people with friendly faces.
“It’s about making a space that’s really comfortable and welcoming neighborly, inclusive,” Walker said.
One person who works on the Circle likes the park but doesn’t like the disruption to traffic. Phil Isenbarger said, “I’d like to see traffic go all the way around the Circle, but, as long as it’s temporary thing, I think that makes more sense.”
Would Isenbarger be oppose to a permanent Spark on the Circle? “Yeah, I wouldn’t want to close off the Circle,” he said.
The city’s ultimate goal is to close down at least part of the Circle and make the park permanent.
Iris Dillon, Indianapolis administrator of programing and public use, said, “We are working toward figuring it out because, of course, with the city, everything takes funding, and so the conversations are happening.”
Part of those conversations center around where a permanent park will go and how much of the Circle will close down. This year’s test will be to see if the park will make the northwest quadrant more viable for businesses.
Walker said, “It’s not being utilized very well, so one of the things that this kind of thing can do is bring energy to a space that could use a little more energy.”
Whatever the outcome of the park, it’s not the city’s mission to just force a version of Spark on the Circle that people don’t want.
“We’re all really here to adjust and adapt to what they think and not to just, like, ‘Well, too bad,’” Walker said.
Indianapolis, IN
Fever beat Valkyries, wrap up homestand with third straight win
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The Indiana Fever beat the Golden State Valkyries, 90-82, to win their third straight game to close out their homestand.
Caitlin Clark returned after missing Wednesday’s game due to a back injury. Clark had a team-high 22 points (7-15 FG and 4-9 3FG) and 9 assists.
Aliyah Boston had a big night, putting up 20 points (8-15 FG) and 16 rebounds, which tied a regular season career-high.
Kelsey Mitchell added 19 points (4-10 FG) and three assists. Sophie Cunningham (11 points) also scored in double figures.
As a team, the Fever shot 46% from the floor, 38% from three, and 76% from the free throw line.
The Fever (4-2) are back in action on Thursday when they face the Valkyries again, this time on the road. Tipoff is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET.
Indianapolis, IN
Jordin Sparks To Perform National Anthem At Indianapolis 500
Jordin Sparks on the red carpet at 2022 Gateway Celebrity Fight Night at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa in Phoenix, Arizona. Sparks will perform the national anthem at the 110th Running of the Indianapolis 500. Photo by Gage Skidmore, Wikimedia Commons.
News Release
INDIANAPOLIS — Jordin Sparks will perform the national anthem before the 2026 Indianapolis 500, marking her third appearance singing the patriotic standard at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
The pre-race ceremony for the 110th running of the race will also coincide with celebrations marking the United States’ 250th anniversary, adding historical significance to this year’s event. Coverage of the pre-race festivities is scheduled to begin Sunday at 10 a.m. EDT across FOX networks and the INDYCAR Radio Network.
IMS and INDYCAR President J. Douglas Boles praised Sparks’ previous performances at the speedway and welcomed her return to the annual tradition. Sparks previously sang the anthem before the race in 2015 and 2024.
Sparks first rose to national prominence after winning “American Idol” and later built a successful music career with multiple charting hits and millions of digital sales. She has toured alongside major pop artists, collaborated on award-winning music connected to Ariana Grande and expanded into acting with film and Broadway roles, including appearances alongside Whitney Houston and performances in the stage production of In the Heights.
Outside entertainment, Sparks remains active in philanthropy, media appearances and brand partnerships through her large social media following.
Indianapolis, IN
‘We’re a bunch of psychos’: Crashing is part of the job for Indy 500 drivers
Alexander Rossi shares update on injuries sustained at practice
ECR’s Alexander Rossi shares an update on injuries sustained during Monday’s crash.
INDIANAPOLIS – Putting a revolving panel of 33 race car drivers in front of dozens of reporters on and off over a couple of weeks might be as good a metaphor for the Indianapolis 500 as there is.
Every lap takes us closer to the finish, and although not every one is exciting there’s usually some captivating entertainment along the way.
Here’s a collection of some of the insightful and interesting comments – and some silliness – from media day ahead of the 110th running May 24 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Perspective on crashing from three drivers
After crashing during practice May 18 and undergoing a small outpatient procedure on his right ankle, front-row qualifier Alexander Rossi has been cleared to drive.
Not that there was a doubt in his mind.
“Unfortunately I’ve crashed twice here. Both times have been turn two,” Rossi said. “I recovered from that. I don’t see this being any different.
“We crash race cars. That’s part of the job description.”
Rossi needs crutches to get around because he can’t put weight on the ankle, but he was able to get in and out of his car, drive on the simulator and react to situations to the satisfaction of IndyCar medical officials. Rossi will have a brace on his foot, but was able to wear his usual shoe.
Before knowing for certain Rossi had been cleared, Conor Daly was asked about the drivers’ mindset in regard to injuries.
“We’re a bunch of psychos, honestly,” Daly said. “If you have this job, you’re very lucky to have this job, so you don’t want to let that go away at all.
“You’d have to rip his limbs off to have him not in that car.”
Pato O’Ward was caught up in Rossi’s crash and also will race a backup car.
At Indy, where qualifying laps average more than 230 mph, a high percentage of crashes are brutal, O’Ward said, and yet there cannot be any second-guessing.
“But after you have that first shunt, one, you definitely feel more like a man when you get back in it, and two, I feel like it just puts some reality into your head,” O’Ward said. “Like dude, you’re moving. You need to be aware of your surroundings, be careful who you’re running [around]. You do grow quite a bit. At least I did.
“I way much rather would be doing this than doing something else. … We are kind of risking our lives, but this is straight-up badass.”
The Penske-fication of Andretti Global
For the first time since 2009, two-time IndyCar series champion and 2018 Indy 500 winner Will Power is at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with a team not named Penske.
Andretti Global is happy to have that experience at its disposal.
“There’s a lot of things that we’ve been able to kind of bounce off him to figure out exactly what we need,” said Andretti driver Kyle Kirkwood, who is again a title contender. “Fortunately with him coming in with his experience and his work ethic, it’s been a big push for our team because he’s like, well, these were the expectations when I was driving at the other place and we were winning races, so these are now the expectations now.
“I think it’s kind of pushed people along really, really nicely, and it’s been a really good atmosphere among the team with him involved and kind of pushing us. There’s been a lot of positives out of his tenure so far.”
During Power’s time at Penske, the organization has collected six of its 20 Indianapolis victories and five of its 17 series titles while Andretti won three 500s and one championship.
Don’t say the ‘r’ word
The weather forecast for the weekend and beyond leaves a bit to be desired.
After a long two weeks, most drivers and teams are ready to move on come late Sunday afternoon. In fact the full-time teams have to turn the page quickly. They’re on track in Detroit five days later. But not everyone.
“I’ll do it on Thursday, I don’t care,” said 33rd starter Jack Harvey, who has no more races on his 2026 driving schedule. “We have to extend this month as long as we can.”
Pick a finger
Times change. So do the gestures from angry drivers.
“The thumbs-up has become the new middle finger,” second-year starter Louis Foster said. “’I feel like maybe we’ve become a bit more politically correct over the years and gone to a thumbs-up.
“Which I think is even worse. If someone cuts me off when I’m driving, I don’t middle finger them, I thumbs-up them, ‘You’re a great driver, man.’ I haven’t seen anyone flip me off recently.”
That brings us back to Rossi and his injuries from his crash. In addition to the procedure he had on his right ankle, he suffered an injury to a finger on his left hand.
Which finger?
“I can’t show you that one,” he said. “I’ll get in a lot of trouble.”
Those other racing sausages
The “Weenie 500” featuring the six Oscar Meyer Wienermobiles was an instant hit in 2025, so naturally it is back. Last-row starter Sting Ray Robb is among the IndyCar drivers scheduled to serve as crew chiefs.
“I think the jokes write themselves,” he said. And indeed they do.
“You want to relish that opportunity, I guess,” responded IndyCar’s Dave Furst, the moderator.
“It’s good that you mustered the courage to get that pun out,” preceded the next question.
-
News27 minutes agoGarden Grove gas leak: Live evacuation maps, closures and updates
-
Los Angeles, Ca2 hours agoFirefighters make progress on wildfires burning across Southern California
-
Detroit, MI2 hours agoMichigan man dies months after alleged attack by DoorDash driver
-
San Francisco, CA3 hours ago20 women sue SF sheriff after alleged mass strip search ‘for training’
-
Dallas, TX3 hours agoFriends are rallying for Ruby Gonzalez’s family after the crash
-
Miami, FL3 hours agoMiami Heat’s Bam Adebayo wins NBA’s Social Justice Champion award for his work helping underserved communities
-
Boston, MA3 hours agoSecond suspect charged in armed bank robberies in Boston
-
Denver, CO3 hours agoFamily identifies teenage victim of deadly shooting at recreation center in Denver