Indianapolis, IN
‘Clerical error’ leads to Indy migrant being wrongfully placed in deportation proceedings
Indianapolis immigration arrest video shows federal agents detain men
Viewer discretion advised. This video posted on social media shows the arrest of two Honduran men in Indianapolis by U.S. immigration officers.
A federal immigration judge was visibly irritated after learning a Honduran man had been sitting in an Indiana detention center for the past two months because of a “clerical error.”
Immigration officials have been holding Amner Nunez-Vasquez without bond while trying to fast-track his deportation to Honduras. Nunez-Vasquez is one of the two people who were forcibly removed from their vehicle by federal agents in Indianapolis earlier this year and has been held in the Clay County immigration detention center since.
But Nunez-Vasquez’s attorney, Elisabeth Carlson with ECG Immigration, says he’s being wrongfully detained, doesn’t meet the criteria for expedited removal from the U.S. and should be allowed bond while his immigration case makes its way through the courts.
In April, the Chicago Immigration Court was informed during a bond hearing that Nunez-Vasquez, who has no prior criminal record, was being detained because of a mistake in his booking information.
His case was being reviewed by Judge Samia Naseem, who was appointed to her seat in January 2020 by then-Attorney General William Barr. Since her appointment to the court in 2024, she has heard 634 asylum cases and denied 45% of them, according to TRAC, a nonprofit data research center.
During the hearing, the Department of Homeland Security’s attorney asked the judge to deny bond since the Department of Justice had plans to deport Nunez-Vasquez via expedited removal proceedings, a process that operates outside the court’s jurisdiction under certain circumstances.
DHS contends Nunez-Vasquez meets the criteria because he hasn’t been in the country more than two years. His booking information shows he entered the country illegally in September 2023, they said.
Nunez-Vasquez’s attorney, however, said that date is incorrect and her client has been in the U.S. since September 2022.
After reviewing the information given by both attorneys, Naseem rescheduled Nunez-Vasquez’s hearing and ordered his lawyer to file evidence proving he’d been in the country since 2022 with the court. The judge also said to turn that information over to the DOJ so it could rectify the error.
DOJ’s error still not fixed
On April 28, Nunez-Vasquez’s lawyers appeared in Naseem’s courtroom virtually, expecting to move forward on his bond hearing. However, after reviewing court files, the judge noticed the “clerical error” had not been resolved by the Department of Justice.
Under terse questioning by the judge, Nunez-Vasquez’s lawyer explained she’s made several attempts to reach the Executive Office for Immigration Review to remedy this issue. The attorney filed several documents with the DOJ and the court, including receipts and pay stubs, proving her client has been in the U.S. since at least September 2022.
Naseem reviewed those documents before shifting her irritation toward the DHS attorney, questioning why the error wasn’t fixed.
“It’s clear that there is some kind of error here,” Naseem said.
Naseem ordered the DHS attorney to ensure Executive Office for Immigration Review personnel resolve the issue before their next hearing on May 9.
“It’s a waste of government resources,” Naseem said regarding Nunez-Vasquez’s continued detainment and time spent on court proceedings.
How did Nunez-Vasquez get into ICE Custody?
On Feb. 28, 2025, Nunez-Vasquez and his nephew, Jose Montoya-Lopez, who are both from Honduras, were pulled over by federal agents near the intersection of West 29th Street and Interstate 65 in Indianapolis.
The men were forced out of their vehicle by agents and placed into U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody. They were booked into the Marion County jail before being sent to the Clay County immigration detention facility in Brazil, Indiana.
The arrest of the two men was captured on camera and shared on social media by a family friend on March 7, 2025.
On Dec. 8, 2023, the Chicago Immigration Court issued a deportation order for Montoya-Lopez, which stemmed from an August 2020 incident when Indianapolis police arrested and preliminarily charged him with battery using a deadly weapon and battery resulting in moderate bodily injury, according to public records.
The state never formally charged Montoya-Lopez with a crime due to a lack of witness cooperation and evidentiary issues, the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office said.
Either way, Montoya-Lopez was been deported to Honduras.
It was unclear what happened to Montoya-Lopez until March 30, when Univision, an American Spanish-language news broadcaster, met with him in Honduras and captured the moment he returned home to his family.
“For me, it’s a joy that he has returned,” Alejandrina Avila, Montoya-Lopez’s grandmother, told Univision.
Montoya-Lopez also took a moment to reflect on the day he was taken into ICE custody.
“In that moment, I felt afraid because I didn’t know if they were going to shoot us just for simply being from another country,” Montoya-Lopez told Univision.
He explained that he decided to record the interaction, believing that he and his uncle would have the opportunity to plead their case in court. However, due to his pending deportation order, he never had the chance.
Montoya-Lopez’s wife and their 3-year-old daughter remain in the U.S. and are struggling to get by without their sole provider, but she’s glad he’s safe.
“He’s back with his family,” she told IndyStar.
Nunez-Vasquez’s fate remains uncertain.
Contact IndyStar reporter Noe Padilla at npadilla@indystar.com, follow him on X @1NoePadilla or on Bluesky @noepadilla.bsky.social.
Indianapolis, IN
Fever beat Valkyries, wrap up homestand with third straight win
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The Indiana Fever beat the Golden State Valkyries, 90-82, to win their third straight game to close out their homestand.
Caitlin Clark returned after missing Wednesday’s game due to a back injury. Clark had a team-high 22 points (7-15 FG and 4-9 3FG) and 9 assists.
Aliyah Boston had a big night, putting up 20 points (8-15 FG) and 16 rebounds, which tied a regular season career-high.
Kelsey Mitchell added 19 points (4-10 FG) and three assists. Sophie Cunningham (11 points) also scored in double figures.
As a team, the Fever shot 46% from the floor, 38% from three, and 76% from the free throw line.
The Fever (4-2) are back in action on Thursday when they face the Valkyries again, this time on the road. Tipoff is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET.
Indianapolis, IN
Jordin Sparks To Perform National Anthem At Indianapolis 500
Jordin Sparks on the red carpet at 2022 Gateway Celebrity Fight Night at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa in Phoenix, Arizona. Sparks will perform the national anthem at the 110th Running of the Indianapolis 500. Photo by Gage Skidmore, Wikimedia Commons.
News Release
INDIANAPOLIS — Jordin Sparks will perform the national anthem before the 2026 Indianapolis 500, marking her third appearance singing the patriotic standard at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
The pre-race ceremony for the 110th running of the race will also coincide with celebrations marking the United States’ 250th anniversary, adding historical significance to this year’s event. Coverage of the pre-race festivities is scheduled to begin Sunday at 10 a.m. EDT across FOX networks and the INDYCAR Radio Network.
IMS and INDYCAR President J. Douglas Boles praised Sparks’ previous performances at the speedway and welcomed her return to the annual tradition. Sparks previously sang the anthem before the race in 2015 and 2024.
Sparks first rose to national prominence after winning “American Idol” and later built a successful music career with multiple charting hits and millions of digital sales. She has toured alongside major pop artists, collaborated on award-winning music connected to Ariana Grande and expanded into acting with film and Broadway roles, including appearances alongside Whitney Houston and performances in the stage production of In the Heights.
Outside entertainment, Sparks remains active in philanthropy, media appearances and brand partnerships through her large social media following.
Indianapolis, IN
‘We’re a bunch of psychos’: Crashing is part of the job for Indy 500 drivers
Alexander Rossi shares update on injuries sustained at practice
ECR’s Alexander Rossi shares an update on injuries sustained during Monday’s crash.
INDIANAPOLIS – Putting a revolving panel of 33 race car drivers in front of dozens of reporters on and off over a couple of weeks might be as good a metaphor for the Indianapolis 500 as there is.
Every lap takes us closer to the finish, and although not every one is exciting there’s usually some captivating entertainment along the way.
Here’s a collection of some of the insightful and interesting comments – and some silliness – from media day ahead of the 110th running May 24 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Perspective on crashing from three drivers
After crashing during practice May 18 and undergoing a small outpatient procedure on his right ankle, front-row qualifier Alexander Rossi has been cleared to drive.
Not that there was a doubt in his mind.
“Unfortunately I’ve crashed twice here. Both times have been turn two,” Rossi said. “I recovered from that. I don’t see this being any different.
“We crash race cars. That’s part of the job description.”
Rossi needs crutches to get around because he can’t put weight on the ankle, but he was able to get in and out of his car, drive on the simulator and react to situations to the satisfaction of IndyCar medical officials. Rossi will have a brace on his foot, but was able to wear his usual shoe.
Before knowing for certain Rossi had been cleared, Conor Daly was asked about the drivers’ mindset in regard to injuries.
“We’re a bunch of psychos, honestly,” Daly said. “If you have this job, you’re very lucky to have this job, so you don’t want to let that go away at all.
“You’d have to rip his limbs off to have him not in that car.”
Pato O’Ward was caught up in Rossi’s crash and also will race a backup car.
At Indy, where qualifying laps average more than 230 mph, a high percentage of crashes are brutal, O’Ward said, and yet there cannot be any second-guessing.
“But after you have that first shunt, one, you definitely feel more like a man when you get back in it, and two, I feel like it just puts some reality into your head,” O’Ward said. “Like dude, you’re moving. You need to be aware of your surroundings, be careful who you’re running [around]. You do grow quite a bit. At least I did.
“I way much rather would be doing this than doing something else. … We are kind of risking our lives, but this is straight-up badass.”
The Penske-fication of Andretti Global
For the first time since 2009, two-time IndyCar series champion and 2018 Indy 500 winner Will Power is at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with a team not named Penske.
Andretti Global is happy to have that experience at its disposal.
“There’s a lot of things that we’ve been able to kind of bounce off him to figure out exactly what we need,” said Andretti driver Kyle Kirkwood, who is again a title contender. “Fortunately with him coming in with his experience and his work ethic, it’s been a big push for our team because he’s like, well, these were the expectations when I was driving at the other place and we were winning races, so these are now the expectations now.
“I think it’s kind of pushed people along really, really nicely, and it’s been a really good atmosphere among the team with him involved and kind of pushing us. There’s been a lot of positives out of his tenure so far.”
During Power’s time at Penske, the organization has collected six of its 20 Indianapolis victories and five of its 17 series titles while Andretti won three 500s and one championship.
Don’t say the ‘r’ word
The weather forecast for the weekend and beyond leaves a bit to be desired.
After a long two weeks, most drivers and teams are ready to move on come late Sunday afternoon. In fact the full-time teams have to turn the page quickly. They’re on track in Detroit five days later. But not everyone.
“I’ll do it on Thursday, I don’t care,” said 33rd starter Jack Harvey, who has no more races on his 2026 driving schedule. “We have to extend this month as long as we can.”
Pick a finger
Times change. So do the gestures from angry drivers.
“The thumbs-up has become the new middle finger,” second-year starter Louis Foster said. “’I feel like maybe we’ve become a bit more politically correct over the years and gone to a thumbs-up.
“Which I think is even worse. If someone cuts me off when I’m driving, I don’t middle finger them, I thumbs-up them, ‘You’re a great driver, man.’ I haven’t seen anyone flip me off recently.”
That brings us back to Rossi and his injuries from his crash. In addition to the procedure he had on his right ankle, he suffered an injury to a finger on his left hand.
Which finger?
“I can’t show you that one,” he said. “I’ll get in a lot of trouble.”
Those other racing sausages
The “Weenie 500” featuring the six Oscar Meyer Wienermobiles was an instant hit in 2025, so naturally it is back. Last-row starter Sting Ray Robb is among the IndyCar drivers scheduled to serve as crew chiefs.
“I think the jokes write themselves,” he said. And indeed they do.
“You want to relish that opportunity, I guess,” responded IndyCar’s Dave Furst, the moderator.
“It’s good that you mustered the courage to get that pun out,” preceded the next question.
-
Los Angeles, Ca14 minutes agoFirefighters make progress on wildfires burning across Southern California
-
Detroit, MI38 minutes agoMichigan man dies months after alleged attack by DoorDash driver
-
San Francisco, CA50 minutes ago20 women sue SF sheriff after alleged mass strip search ‘for training’
-
Dallas, TX56 minutes agoFriends are rallying for Ruby Gonzalez’s family after the crash
-
Miami, FL1 hour agoMiami Heat’s Bam Adebayo wins NBA’s Social Justice Champion award for his work helping underserved communities
-
Boston, MA1 hour agoSecond suspect charged in armed bank robberies in Boston
-
Denver, CO1 hour agoFamily identifies teenage victim of deadly shooting at recreation center in Denver
-
Seattle, WA1 hour agoSeattle Social Housing Developer buys $60M apartment building