Detroit, MI
Whitmer budget seeks $26M to upgrade Selfridge infrastructure
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s budget proposal this week will recommend spending $26 million to upgrade “critical” infrastructure at Selfridge Air National Guard Base in Macomb County, according to her office.
The purpose is in part to attract new flying missions and aircraft to the base, “recognizing the $30 billion that it contributes to the state’s economy and more than 116,000 jobs it supports,” Whitmer’s office said in a summary.
The administration didn’t detail what infrastructure would be enhanced at the base, but the investment would build on Whitmer’s commitment to spend $100 million to upgrade facilities at Selfridge as the state seeks a follow-on mission to replace the aging A-10s that will start to be retired in 2026.
Last year, then-secretary of the U.S. Air Force Frank Kendall said Selfridge would “potentially” be considered for a future fighter mission to replace the base’s A-10 aircraft, “but at the current time we don’t have an option to do that.”
Kendall at the time noted the decision announced a year ago to base a squadron of 12 KC-46A Pegasus refueling tankers at the Selfridge base in Harrison Township was in part because of the planned divestiture of the A-10 fighters. Selfridge also is home to eight aging KC-135 Stratotankers, which are also slated to be retired.
Kendall added that the next-generation crewless or unmanned “collaborative” aircraft (CCA) that the Air Force is acquiring is a possibility for Selfridge.
Peters, who serves on the Senate Armed Services panel, has also emphasized the possibility of the Air Force employing KC-46s as a “command and control node” for future CCA aircraft.
The Air Force in January 2024 said Selfridge is the “preferred location” to host a KC-46A squadron, pending the results of a planned environmental impact analysis this year. The KC-46As are projected to start arriving in 2029.
Air Force officials have projected that jobs will still be lost in the retirement of the A-10s at Selfridge, which are expected to begin divestment in 2026.
That retirement process would occur incrementally through 2029 and could result in the net loss of approximately 300 part-time personnel positions and about 25 full-time jobs, accounting for the KC-46A jobs that will be added, the Air Force said.
Bipartisan members of Congress have said they continue to push defense officials for a follow-on fighter mission to replace the A-10s, but that depends on the availability of aircraft such as the F-35 or F-15EX.
Peters last week said he plans to press President Donald Trump’s nominee to lead the Air Force, Troy Meink, on a fighter mission. “And every mission we can get,” Peters said. “We’re just well-positioned for lots of missions.”
Members of Michigan’s congressional delegation have proposed hypersonics testing among the new missions that could come to Selfridge. A study is underway examining whether the base or a site nearby would be suitable for a facility for hypersonics and extreme environment testing. The study is being conducted by LIFT, the Detroit-based high-tech manufacturing research institute in Corktown.
Republican U.S. Rep. John James of Shelby Township, whose district includes the base, has also floated an AH-64E Apache helicopter mission for Selfridge. James, a pilot, flew AH-64s in Iraq.
The annual defense policy bill adopted in December authorized the creation of a new center to coordinate northern border security at Selfridge. The bill used language proposed in a separate bill by Peters and U.S. Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine.
mburke@detroitnews.com
Detroit, MI
Michigan man dies months after alleged attack by DoorDash driver
A 75-year-old Wixom man who was allegedly attacked by a DoorDash driver back in December has died from his injuries on May 16, his family says
Lloyd Poole’s stepdaughter, Lindsey Gonzalez, tells CBS Detroit that Poole and his wife had just gotten back from Ireland before this alleged attack, and they had plans to travel to Alaska.
“It stinks that basically my mom and his golden years of traveling and being retired was taken away by this man,” said Gonzalez.
“He had seven different brain surgeries during that time, numerous infections during that time. He ended up with pneumonia a couple times. It was just a downwhirl spiral since everything happened that night,” said Gonzalez.
Police say on Dec. 28, officers were called to the area of Barberry Circle and Windingway Drive for a report of a man lying unconscious in the roadway. Authorities say that 40-year-old Ryan Daniel Turner, a DoorDash driver, went to the police station and admitted to punching Poole after he was confronted for speeding through the neighborhood.
“The medical examiner did rule the cause of death as homicide by blunt force head trauma,” Gonzalez told CBS Detroit.
Records show that Turner was arraigned on one count of aggravated assault. He is due back in court for a pre-trial hearing. However, Poole’s family says they are frustrated that Turner is out on bond.
“I mean, he’s out on bond on house arrest on a tether, so he’s not going anywhere, but he’s still sitting out, and this happened to Lloyd,” said Gonzalez.
CBS News Detroit reached out to the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office, which says it is aware of Poole’s death. It is unclear if charges will be updated.
Detroit, MI
Grading Jack Campbell Detroit Lions Contract Extension
The Detroit Lions checked off a major item from their offseason to-do list Thursday.
They inked linebacker Jack Campbell, the heart and soul of their defense, to a four-year contract extension worth $81 million (reportedly $51.5 million guaranteed). It was a well-deserved extension for Campbell, who was named to his first Pro Bowl and earned first-team AP All-Pro honors in 2025.
The 25-year-old will enter the 2026 season as the second-highest paid off-ball linebacker in the NFL at $20.25 million per year, trailing only San Francisco’s Fred Warner ($21M/year).
Campbell led all Lions defenders – and finished second in the league – with 176 tackles last season, while playing in all but eight of the team’s 1,105 defensive snaps. He also notched career-high totals in sacks (five), forced fumbles (three) and fumble recoveries (two) while recording a Pro Football Focus overall grade of 90.2. It marked the second-best PFF overall grade among 88 qualified linebackers a season ago.
In addition to his high-level production, Campbell has donned the green dot and served as the de facto “quarterback” of the defense the last two seasons, relaying calls to the rest of the unit from Detroit’s defensive coaching staff.
Lions head man Dan Campbell offered high praise for the middle linebacker this past December.
“He’s our bell cow,” Campbell said. “He’s smart and he’s instinctive, and he is snap to whistle all out, all the time. In practice, too. And he doesn’t take plays off, he doesn’t take days off. He goes after the football, he’s a ball guy. So, he’s invaluable.”
Additional Lions Insider Analysis: Exploring If Germany Game Will Significantly Impact Lions 2026 Season
The fourth-year pro has grown into an immensely valuable member of Detroit’s defense, morphing from an inconsistently productive, part-time starter in 2023 (57.3 PFF grade) to one of the NFL’s very best linebackers. And the Iowa product has proven to be especially proficient against the run, with no less than a 75.9 PFF run-defense grade in his first three NFL seasons.
Campbell has proven time and time again he’s capable of captaining a defense, and he’s more than validated Detroit general manager Brad Holmes’ initially criticized decision to select an off-ball linebacker at No. 18 overall in the 2023 NFL Draft.
“This is Jack Campbell’s defense,” Lions defensive coordinator Kelvin Sheppard told reporters at the NFL combine in February. “And I don’t hesitate when I say that. This is Jack Campbell’s defense, and everybody in that locker room knows it, point blank, period. It all goes through Jack.”
He’s more than earned the right to be the leader of Sheppard’s unit, and Detroit should be in good hands with Campbell patrolling the middle of the defense in 2026.
Holmes & Co. made an extremely wise decision locking up the gritty linebacker until 2030 and should be commended for such. At this present juncture, I believe the Campbell extension deserves an “A” grade.
Follow
Detroit, MI
Southfield Freeway closed after shooting in Detroit, state police says
The Southfield Freeway was closed Thursday night after a shooting occurred in the area of M-39 near Joy Road, the Michigan State Police reported on X.
“Troopers are currently in the preliminary stages of the investigation, and additional information will be released as it becomes available,” the state police said.
Officials said the freeway is expected to remain closed for “several hours while investigators process the scene.” There was no indication about whether anyone was injured in the shooting. The state police gave no further details.
“The roadway will be reopened as soon as the investigation allows,” the state police said.
rburr@detroitnews.com
-
Pittsburg, PA1 minute agoReporter Confused By Pittsburgh’s Quarterback Plan: ‘Hamster Wheel’
-
Augusta, GA7 minutes agoBroad Street construction causes lane closures in downtown Augusta
-
Washington, D.C13 minutes agoInside Crypto’s Washington Command Center—and Blitz for Legitimacy
-
Cleveland, OH19 minutes agoFamily releases statement after off-duty Cleveland Police officer involved in deadly shooting of 26-year-old
-
Austin, TX25 minutes agoThe 8 Best Tex-Mex Restaurants In Austin – Chowhound
-
Alabama31 minutes agoAlabama’s Jocelyn Briski shuts out LSU with 11 strikeouts in super regional win
-
Alaska37 minutes ago
Airlines are absorbing up to 50% of surging jet fuel costs. Alaska is still betting on premium international flights
-
Arizona43 minutes agoArizona Lottery Mega Millions, Pick 3 results for May 22, 2026