Connect with us

Detroit, MI

Trump threatens 100% tariffs on Mexican-made cars by China companies

Published

on

Trump threatens 100% tariffs on Mexican-made cars by China companies


Former President Donald Trump said he would hit cars made in Mexico by Chinese companies with a 100% tariff, double the levy he has previously said he would put on automobiles made south of the U.S. border.

Trump addressed Chinese President Xi Jinping directly during a rally speech in Dayton, Ohio, on Saturday when threatening the tariffs.

“Those big monster car manufacturing plants you are building in Mexico right now and you think you are going to get that – not hire Americans and you’re going to sell the car to us, no,” Trump said. “We are going to put a 100% tariff on every car that comes across the lot.”

Advertisement

Trump continued by saying it would be a “bloodbath” if he didn’t win this year’s U.S. presidential election.

Earlier this month Trump threatened a 50% tariff on Chinese cars. He has also proposed tariffs of as much as 60% on all Chinese goods and 10% on goods made anywhere in the world. He said he’s not worried about retaliatory measures from China or other countries.

“You screw us and we’ll screw you,” he said. “It’s very simple, very fair.”

As president, Trump focused heavily on the idea that the U.S. was being ripped off by bad trade deals and cheating, embarking in 2018 on a trade war with China that saw round after round of escalation as the two countries enacted tariffs on each other’s products.

Trump’s most significant actions on trade included the trade war with China; broad implementation of tariffs; replacement of the North American Free Trade Agreement with the United States-Mexico-Canada-Agreement; and exiting the multilateral Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement negotiated under President Barack Obama.

Advertisement

International trade and automotive industry experts at the time, however, said the Trump administration’s signature trade policies did little to bring back U.S. manufacturing jobs and achieve his goal of balancing the trade deficit. Indeed, the U.S. trade deficit was higher in 2020, at $678.7 billion,  than it was when Trump took office — $502.3 billion. It rose further during the Biden presidency, ending 2023 at $773.4 billion.

The trade deficit with China, however, dropped from $347 billion when Trump took office to $308 billion in 2020. Though it rose again in the first years of the Biden administration, it fell to $280 billion at the end of 2023.

In Michigan, manufacturing employment stood at 617,100 when Trump took office in January 2017, according to federal data. It peaked at 634,200 in December 2018. By January 2020, manufacturing jobs declined to 628,700, then to 623,700 in February 2020.

Trump’s proposed 100% tariff levied on the price of a Chinese automakers’ vehicles assembled in Mexico escalates threats the former president made on Feb. 27 during Michigan’s presidential primary, which he handily won.

“I’m going to put tariffs so that we’re going to make the cars in this country, not China and all of these other countries,” Trump told WFDF-AM (910) Superstation host Justin Barclay on the morning of the primary.

Advertisement

Trump clinched the Republican Party’s presidential nomination Tuesday night, allowing him to fully turn his attention toward a rematch with President Joe Biden in November. Biden on Tuesday won enough delegates for the Democratic nomination.

In recent weeks, Biden and one of his top surrogates, United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain, have been clashing with Trump on manufacturing policy. Biden has highlighted the UAW’s gains following a six-week strike of General Motors, Stellantis and Ford Motor Co. last fall, while Trump has turned his attention to Chinese automakers investing in Mexican plants.

More: Biden touts deal to reopen idled Stellantis plant in State of the Union address

More: UAW president, Trump clash over future of auto industry

Trump, despite facing four criminal cases, has only tightened his grip on the GOP in his third White House run. The Republican National Committee is now helmed by three close allies, including his daughter in-law Lara Trump as co-chair. The shakeup saw more than 60 staffers fired on Monday.

Advertisement

Trump’s rally on Saturday took him to a once-traditional swing state where his populist message brought him easy victories in the 2016 and 2020 presidential elections.

This year, Ohio also hosts a Senate race that will be critical to Democratic hopes of retaining control of the chamber. Republicans face a three-way contest in the state’s March 19 primary for a candidate to take on Democrat Sherrod Brown in the general election.

Trump has endorsed tech executive Bernie Moreno for the Senate seat, putting him at odds with Republican Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, who has backed Matt Dolan, a moderate who didn’t seek Trump’s support. Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose is also running.

Moreno, who attended Saturday’s rally, called Trump a “great American.” Trump also took a swipe at Dolan, calling him “the next Mitt Romney” and claiming he is embracing “woke left lunatics.”

Trump demonstrated his hold on Ohio Republicans in the Senate race two years ago when he backed J.D. Vance, propelling him to a come-from-behind win in the GOP primary and a victory in the general election.

Advertisement

The Detroit News contributed.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Detroit, MI

Lions lock up offensive tackle Penei Sewell with long-term extension

Published

on

Lions lock up offensive tackle Penei Sewell with long-term extension


Hours after agreeing to a long-term extension with All-Pro wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, the Detroit Lions locked up another cornerstone from the team’s 2021 draft class, coming to terms on a four-year extension with offensive tackle Penei Sewell, a source close to the negotiations confirmed to The Detroit News.

The pact is worth up to $112 million with $85 million in guarantees. That would make the 23-year-old Sewell the highest-paid player at his position, by annual average value, easily topping the $25 million per year package signed by Houston Texans offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil last offseason.

Advertisement

Sewell, the No. 7 pick in the 2021 draft, was the first selection of general manager Brad Holmes’ tenure. Despite starting just one year at Oregon, and opting out of the 2020 season due to COVID-19 concerns, Sewell had minimal issues making an immediate impact as a rookie.

Initially starting that year as a left tackle while blindside blocker Taylor Decker recovered from a broken finger, Sewell has since settled in at right tackle, a position he hadn’t played before coming to Detroit.

Sewell has shown steady improvement each of his three seasons, and was graded as the league’s best offensive tackle by Pro Football Focus last season, earning career-high marks as both a run blocker and pass protector. In 2023, he allowed just 20 quarterback pressures and a single sack. For his early-career dominance, he’s twice been named to the Pro Bowl and was selected as a first-team All-Pro last season.

Despite his young age, Sewell also has rapidly emerged as a leader on Detroit’s roster. He was selected by his teammates as a captain last year and routinely breaks down with pre-game huddle with fiery speeches.

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

Advertisement

@Justin_Rogers



Source link

Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

Metro Detroit sinkhole to be repaired after sewer collapse

Published

on

Metro Detroit sinkhole to be repaired after sewer collapse


NFL Draft road closures, Michigan woman in fatal boat club crash gets $1.5M bond and more top stories

Advertisement


NFL Draft road closures, Michigan woman in fatal boat club crash gets $1.5M bond and more top stories

04:03

Advertisement
Crews are repairing a sinkhole in Birmingham caused by the collapse of a 12-inch sewer. 

City of Birmingham


(CBS DETROIT) – Crews are set to repair a sinkhole in an Oakland County community Wednesday following a sewer collapse, city officials said. 

The sinkhole is located on Willits between Chester and Greenwood. 

Advertisement

City officials investigated the sinkhole on Tuesday, April 23, and determined it was caused by a 12-inch sewer collapse. The collapse caused a surcharge to flow into the catch basin that leads into the Rouge River, city officials said. 

The surcharge is less than 100 gallons, according to city officials, and crews installed a bypass to contain the overflow. 

Birmingham’s contractor will complete the repairs on Wednesday.

There is no threat to public health, and Birmingham “is in compliance with its National Pollutant Discharge Elimination permit,” according to city officials. 

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

Metro Detroit airports prepare for influx of travelers ahead of NFL Draft

Published

on

Metro Detroit airports prepare for influx of travelers ahead of NFL Draft


(CBS DETROIT) – Hundreds of thousands of people are making their way to Detroit for the 2024 NFL Draft. Some will be coming by private plane.

Local airports have been preparing for the draft for months, coordinating private flights and planning with the Federal Aviation Administration. Officials said the Detroit Metro Airport is expecting a 5% to 25% increase in traffic.

“What that looks like is anywhere from one to 400 extra operations for the NFL Draft,” said Michael Fawaz, the director of Willow Run Airport.

LATEST ON THE NFL DRAFT:

Advertisement

Willow Run is about 15 minutes from the metro airport. It hasn’t seen an uptick in private flight traffic yet, but that could change quickly.

“They can file their flight plan last minute, they can do it today or tomorrow.”

Fawaz said the area is expecting the brunt of the plane traffic on Thursday and Friday. And they don’t just have to coordinate landings and take-offs. They also have to have places to park all of the planes.

 “We will close one of our runways if needed,” said Fawaz. 

However, he said it’s nothing they haven’t faced before. 

Advertisement

“When Ohio State and Michigan play, it gets very busy at Willow Run. We are only 15 minutes from the Big House, so we’re used to that type of traffic.”

Detroit Metro is also prepared for commercial travelers, who will have an easier time getting to the draft activities with the new express bus service. 

“The Detroit Airport Express will take folks right from the airport to downtown Detroit,” said Zachary Kolodin, Michigan’s chief infrastructure officer.

He said the city and the Michigan Department of Transportation have done a lot of work to prepare for the draft, including improving highway access and the people mover.

“Work that the city, and in some cases the state, have planned for many years. But we were able to accelerate it in anticipation of the draft.”

Advertisement

Kolodin said the draft isn’t just an event for athletes and sports fans. through it, there’s been added greenery, signage, storefront upgrades, and artwork that benefit all Michiganders.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending