Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis City Council expected to pass resolution pushing for stronger state laws on domestic violence
The Minneapolis City Council wants a change in how the state handles domestic violence cases.
This comes after Allison Lussier was found dead inside her North Loop apartment in 2024 after multiple domestic violence reports were filed.
In a recent report, the Minneapolis city auditor found 22 issues with Lussier’s case.
On Tuesday, the council plans to pass a resolution that calls on state lawmakers to pass Allison’s Law, a bill that would strengthen reporting requirements and police response in domestic violence cases, as well as create a statewide task force focused on investigations and prosecutions.
The resolution would be mostly symbolic, since the legislative session is now over, but would keep attention on domestic violence reform.
Lussier’s family believes police and others didn’t do enough to keep her safe.
An audit released last month shows officers missed opportunities to investigate possible stalking in her case. It also found inconsistent reporting practices throughout the case, including incomplete witness statements, missing victim forms and gaps in documentation.
To this day, no charges have been filed in her death.
The report also criticized how Minneapolis police publicly discussed Lussier’s death, saying comments about her substance abuse history caused harm to her family and the broader Indigenous community.
The audit recommended several changes, including stronger domestic violence protocols.
City Council members say the resolution is meant to show support for victims’ families and push for stronger protections moving forward. They’ll call for the resolution to pass during an afternoon meeting.
Lussier’s family has continued to call for accountability. At a rally last fall, her aunt pointed to what she believes are larger systemic failures.
“We saw the gaps in the system and the issues with Minneapolis police and their failings,” Jana Williams said. “If they can’t protect the citizens of Minneapolis, who can?”
For anonymous, confidential help, people can call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224.
Minneapolis, MN
Man dies days after being injured in attempted Minneapolis carjacking
A 38-year-old man seriously injured in an attempted auto theft in Minneapolis on Friday has died.
Minneapolis police say the assault happened when the victim saw two people trying to steal his car around 1:35 p.m. on the 5400 block of 43rd Avenue South and confronted them.
After being confronted, the suspects abandoned the car they were trying to steal and ran to the car they had arrived in, police said. As the suspects tried to get away, the victim was either hit by the car or jumped onto the hood.
The suspects were driving erratically, Minneapolis police said, causing the victim to be thrown from the hood of the car and seriously injure his head.
On Sunday, police say the man died from his injuries.
There have been no arrests at this time.
“This is a tragic event that has devastated a family and shocked the community,” said Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara. “The reckless disregard for the value of human life shown in this case is horrifying, and those responsible should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”
Minneapolis, MN
Stabbing at Minneapolis Fine Line leaves man hospitalized: MPD
A man was stabbed at the Fine Line music venue on Sunday night, according to Minneapolis police.
Investigators say that an altercation inside the Fine Line led to the stabbing but no arrests have been made.
The victim was hospitalized with potentially life-threatening injuries, according to police.
Hip Hop artist, Babyfxce E, was performing at the Fine Line at the time of the incident.
Minneapolis, MN
Women were arguing over $50 debt before fatal Minneapolis apartment shooting, charges say
Charges say two women had been arguing over $50 when one of them fatally shot the other at a Minneapolis apartment earlier this month.
A 42-year-old Minneapolis woman was charged with second-degree murder for the May 9 shooting, according to the criminal complaint filed in Hennepin County on Friday.
Police were called to an apartment building located on the 2400 block of Pillsbury Avenue South, where they found a woman who had been shot. She later died at the hospital.
Officers spoke to a witness who rented the apartment where the shooting took place. He told police the victim and suspect had been over, along with an unknown man. The two women were allegedly arguing over $50.
The witness said that while he was in the bathroom, he heard the unknown man say “what are you doing?” before shots were fired, according to the complaint. He claims he saw the suspect with a gun earlier that day.
Both the suspect and the unknown man left the apartment before police arrived. Officers obtained survelliance video, which charges say showed a woman matching the suspect’s appearance leaving the apartment in a hurry shortly after the shooting.
Investigators found and interviewed the unknown man, who said the suspect and victim had been arguing over a debt when the suspect went into the bedroom and returned with a pistol. He says he told the suspect to stop, but she fired multiple shots at the victim anyway. He added that the suspect threatened him as they left the building, and he got away from her as soon as he could, according to charges.
The suspect originally denied any knowledge of the shooting, but eventually admitted to being at the apartment where it took place after being confronted with survelliance video images. She denied being involved in the shooting itself.
The suspect is currently in custody. Her bail has been set at $1 million.
-
New York10 minutes agoVideo: Judge Grants Luigi Mangione’s Request to Supress Some Evidence
-
Los Angeles, Ca16 minutes agoCardi B in the lead as 2026 BET Awards nominations announced
-
Detroit, MI40 minutes agoSouthfield police chase ends in fiery crash in Detroit
-
San Francisco, CA52 minutes agoSan Francisco ninth graders will now be measured by a controversial ‘Wheel of Power’ — so how would the city’s leaders fare? We put them to the test. – The Voice of San Francisco
-
Dallas, TX58 minutes ago
Mailbag: Could Valdes-Scantling battle for WR3?
-
Miami, FL1 hour agoMen arrested for defacing Miami Beach pride bench with antisemitic graffiti, cops say
-
Boston, MA1 hour agoBoston’s Logan airport opens first-in-nation remote airport terminal
-
Denver, CO1 hour agoVehicle goes airborne, hits home overnight in Denver: Police