Connect with us

Minnesota

Iowa 68, Minnesota 60

Published

on

Iowa 68, Minnesota 60


IOWA (16-7)

Stuelke 7-11 3-7 17, Affolter 4-9 2-3 13, Feuerbach 4-8 4-4 13, McCabe 1-5 0-0 3, Olsen 5-15 3-4 14, O’Grady 2-4 2-4 6, Guyton 0-4 0-0 0, Mallegni 0-0 0-0 0, Stremlow 1-2 0-0 2, Totals 24-58 14-22 68

Copyright 2017 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Advertisement



Source link

Minnesota

Boy, 15, injured after reportedly stolen car rolls at end of chase in Sherburne County

Published

on

Boy, 15, injured after reportedly stolen car rolls at end of chase in Sherburne County



A 15-year-old boy is in the hospital after the car he was driving, which was reportedly stolen, rolled at the end of a pursuit by a deputy in Becker Township Friday morning, according to the Minnesota State Patrol.

Advertisement

The boy drove the Kia Sportage away from a Sherburne County Sheriff’s Office deputy after they tried to stop the SUV, which the state agency said was stolen from Minneapolis. According to officials, the deputy had their “emergency equipment activated.”

The Kia went off a road and rolled in the area of U.S. Highway 10 and 165th Avenue Southeast around 11:49 a.m., according to the state agency.

A damaged Kia Sportage sits on the side of a road in Becker Township, Minnesota, after a crash on Feb. 20, 2026.

WCCO

Advertisement


Officials said the boy, who was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash, was taken to the hospital. The severity of his injuries has yet to be disclosed.

The state patrol is investigating the crash. 

WCCO has reached out to the sheriff’s office for more information.



Source link

Continue Reading

Minnesota

Minnesota has seen 5 measles cases so far in 2026

Published

on

Minnesota has seen 5 measles cases so far in 2026



Measles cases in the U.S. are rising at the fastest rate in a generation, and the trend now includes five cases in Minnesota since the start of the new year.

The Minnesota Department of Health said the five cases occurred in unvaccinated children and adults in the Twin Cities area. Four of the cases are linked, the department said, and all were infected within the United States.

Nationwide, doctors have diagnosed nearly 1,000 cases of measles in 2026. Last year, there were 2,281 cases total, with three deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. No deaths have been reported so far this year.

Advertisement

In Minnesota, 26 cases were reported last year.

The CDC classifies measles as one of the most contagious infectious diseases. It can lead to severe lung and brain infections, cognitive issues, hearing loss and even death. Experts say getting vaccinated is the best protection against the disease — 94% of U.S. cases this year have occurred in unvaccinated people, according to the CDC.

Officials recommend children receive two doses of the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine — the first at 12 to 15 months old and the second between 4 and 6 years old.  

Health experts blame declining vaccination rates for increases in preventable diseases like measles. During the 2019-2020 school year, 95.2% of kindergarteners were vaccinated against measles. In 2021-2022, that figutre dropped to 93%, and again to 92.7% in 2023-2024.

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Minnesota

Minnesota State system updates fraud prevention measures during House hearing

Published

on

Minnesota State system updates fraud prevention measures during House hearing


The Minnesota State system is fighting a growing fraud problem facing colleges and universities across the country. Ghost students are enrolling using stolen identities and receiving financial aid.

“These fraudsters are very well organized and well financed,” said Craig Munson, the chief information security officer for the Minnesota State system, during a Minnesota House hearing on Thursday. “Stealing money that was intended for real students in need of financial aid.”

According to state lawmakers, victims sometimes find out they owe on a student loan years after someone enrolled them in a college or university without their knowledge.

House members questioned Munson about how much it’s costing the system, how many students are enrolling fraudulently, and what needs to change to prevent it in the future.

Advertisement

“I believe we are making very good progress,” responded Munson, who did not provide a dollar amount for the cost to the system. 

He presented a report from the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Enrollment Fraud Working Group, which was convened under a 2025 state law requiring the development of policies to prevent fraudulent enrollment.

It outlines the rising threat and includes recommendations, including enhanced training, adopting an enrollment fraud user guide, which was recently rolled out across the system, and a state investment in automated identity proofing.

“An automated identity solution is kind of that gold standard,” said Munson, in an interview following the hearing. 

He explained that an automated identity proofing system would cost $1 million to $1.5 million annually but would save on the time and labor required to check identities manually.

Advertisement

“The faster we can move, the better we are equipped to stop it before it blossoms into something bigger,” he said.

If the Legislature approves the funding, he expects it would take months to implement. 

“There are several on the market, and we have had extensive talks with a number of vendors already,” said Munson.

5 INVESTIGATES reported in the fall that the Minnesota State system flagged more than 7,700 applications as fraudulent or potentially fraudulent in an academic year.

“We’re seeing similar numbers right now this year in the first few months,” said Munson. “What I am pleased to say some of the changes we have made in some of our safeguards have been quite useful in stopping this.”

Advertisement

There has been a change since the fall, however, in which institutions are being targeted by fraudsters.

“It used to be more of the two-year [colleges], we’re starting to see they’re looking at all colleges and universities,” he said. “It could be a couple of reasons — that they’ve learned the system to its extent, and they want to extend their stay in the system and transfer to a four-year possibly. We’re also seeing some positive reports that many of our two-year colleges are seeing a little bit of a reduction in these fraud attempts.”

The Minnesota State system reports catching most of the fraud before money is paid out. A recent U.S. Department of Education report shows nearly $90 million has gone to ineligible recipients nationwide.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending