Connect with us

Connecticut

Connecticut makes work zone speed cameras permanent

Published

on

Connecticut makes work zone speed cameras permanent


Posted:

Updated:

Advertisement

BRANFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — A pilot program designed to down on speeders in Connecticut’s work zones is permanent now.

It was a pilot program tested in different locations around the state. Special white SUVs were set up with cameras to monitor speeders as they drove by.

Gov. Ned Lamont recently signed legislation that will allow the Connecticut Department of Transportation to go out for bids to vendors who can install a system to check speeds.

Over a two-year period, more than 2000 crashes were reported in Connecticut. One driver, according to CTDOT, was clocked at going more than 100 mph in a work zone.

The first offense is a $75 fine. The CTDOT said it’s meant to be educational, not a money maker.

Advertisement

The hope is the new speed zone systems are in place by spring 2025.



Source link

Connecticut

NASA astronaut from Connecticut arrives at International Space Station

Published

on

NASA astronaut from Connecticut arrives at International Space Station


An astronaut from Connecticut, a member of the SpaceX Crew-12, arrived Saturday at the International Space Station.

Navy Captain Jack Hathaway, of South Windsor, is part of the four-astronaut crew.

The crew launched in a SpaceX rocket from Cape Canaveral in Florida Friday morning at 5:15 a.m.

Hathaway will call the ISS home for the next eight months.

Advertisement

Last month’s medical evacuation was NASA’s first in 65 years of human spaceflight. One of four astronauts launched by SpaceX last summer suffered what officials described as a serious health issue, prompting their hasty return. That left only three crew members to keep the place running — one American and two Russians — prompting NASA to pause spacewalks and trim research.

Along with Hathaway, moving in for eight to nine months are NASA’s Jessica Meir, France’s Sophie Adenot and Russia’s Andrei Fedyaev. Meir, a marine biologist, and Fedyaev, a former military pilot, have lived up there before. During her first station visit in 2019, Meir took part in the first all-female spacewalk.

Adenot, a military helicopter pilot, is only the second French woman to fly in space. Hathaway is a captain in the U.S. Navy.

A couple of hours later, the hatches swung open and the seven space travelers hugged and exchanged exuberant high-fives. “Let’s get rolling,” Meir said.

NASA has refused to divulge the identity of the astronaut who fell ill in orbit on Jan. 7 or explain what happened, citing medical privacy. The ailing astronaut and three others returned to Earth more than a month sooner than planned. They spent their first night back on Earth at the hospital before returning to Houston.

Advertisement

The space agency said it did not alter its preflight medical checks for their replacements.

AP Wire Services contributed to this report.



Source link

Continue Reading

Connecticut

Search for missing hikers in Southington

Published

on

Search for missing hikers in Southington


Officials have located the lost hikers from Ragged Mountain and are working on bringing them out.

According to the Southington Fire Department, there is a medical emergency involved.

Officials have not said what the extent of the medical emergency is.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Connecticut

Judge dismisses charges against 3 Connecticut officers accused of mistreating paralyzed prisoner

Published

on

Judge dismisses charges against 3 Connecticut officers accused of mistreating paralyzed prisoner


By DAVE COLLINS

A Connecticut judge on Friday dismissed criminal charges against three current and former New Haven police officers who were accused of mistreating prisoner Richard “Randy” Cox after he was paralyzed in the back of a police van in 2022.

Judge David Zagaja dropped the cases against Oscar Diaz, Jocelyn Lavandier and Luis Rivera after granting them a probation program that allows charges to be erased from defendants’ records, saying their conduct was not malicious. Two other officers, Betsy Segui and Ronald Pressley, pleaded guilty last year to misdemeanor reckless endangerment and received no jail time.

Cox, 40, was left paralyzed from the chest down on June 19, 2022, when the police van, which had no seat belts, braked hard to avoid an accident, sending him head-first into a metal partition while his hands were cuffed behind his back. He had been arrested on charges of threatening a woman with a gun, which were later dismissed.

Advertisement
FILE – This combo of photos provided by the Connecticut State Police, shows, from left, New Haven, Conn., police officers Oscar Diaz, Betsy Segui, Jocelyn Lavandier, Luis Rivera and Ronald Pressley. (Connecticut State Police via AP, File)

“I can’t move. I’m going to die like this. Please, please, please help me,” Cox said in the van minutes after being injured, according to police video. He later was found to have broken his neck.

Diaz, who was driving the van, brought Cox to the police department, where officers mocked Cox and accused him of being drunk and faking his injuries, according to surveillance and body-worn camera footage. Officers dragged Cox out of the van and around the police station before placing him in a holding cell before paramedics brought him to a hospital.

Before pulling him out of the van, Lavandier told Cox to move his leg and sit up, according to an internal affairs investigation report. Cox says “I can’t move” and Lavandier says “You’re not even trying.”

New Haven State’s Attorney John P. Doyle Jr.’s office said prosecutors and Cox did not object to the charges being dismissed.

Defense lawyers said that while the officers were sympathetic to what happened to Cox, they did not cause his injuries or make them worse. The three officers whose cases were dismissed were scheduled to go on trial next month.

Advertisement

“We don’t think that there was sufficient evidence to prove her guilt or any wrongdoing,” said Lavandier’s attorney, Dan Ford. “This is a negotiated settlement that avoids the risk of having go through the emotional toll of a trial.”

Rivera’s lawyer, Raymond Hassett, called the decision to charge the officers “unjust and misplaced.”

“The actions of the Police Chief and City Mayor in targeting the officers were a misguided effort to deflect attention from the police department shortcomings in managing the department and ensuring proper protocols were in place and followed,” Hassett said in a statement.

Attorneys for Cox and Diaz did not immediately return phone and email messages Friday. Cox’s lawyer, Louis Rubano, has said Cox and his family hoped the criminal cases would end quickly with plea bargains.

New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker said city officials disagreed with the judge’s decision to dismiss the charges.

Advertisement

“What happened to Randy was tragic and awful,” he said in a statement.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending