Connect with us

World

UK prosecutors charge 3, including dual Pakistani citizen, in arson attack on Jewish ambulances in London

Published

on

UK prosecutors charge 3, including dual Pakistani citizen, in arson attack on Jewish ambulances in London

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

British prosecutors charged three suspects — ages 17, 19 and 20 — in an alleged arson attack targeting Jewish community ambulances in north London.

The March 23 incident unfolded at around 1:45 a.m. in the Golders Green neighborhood, where four ambulances operated by a volunteer emergency service serving the Jewish community were deliberately set ablaze in a synagogue parking lot.

Hamza Iqbal, 20, Rehan Khan, 19, and a 17-year-old boy are accused of arson with intent to damage property while recklessly endangering life, according to the Metropolitan Police. 

Officials said two of the suspects are British citizens, while one holds dual British and Pakistani citizenship.

Advertisement

GUILTY VERDICTS IN ISIS PLOT POLICE SAY COULD HAVE BEEN ‘THE DEADLIEST TERRORIST ATTACK IN UK HISTORY’

Members of the Jewish community view an alleged antisemitic arson attack in the Golders Green neighborhood of north London March 24, 2026. (Henry Nicholls/AFP)

All three were arrested Wednesday at separate locations across London.

They did not enter pleas and remained in custody after a roughly 45-minute hearing Saturday afternoon at Westminster Magistrates’ Court, according to The Standard.

Prosecutors said a fourth suspect was also arrested and taken into custody at the courthouse where the three charged men were appearing, according to Reuters.

Advertisement

UK COUNTERTERRORISM POLICE PROBE ANTISEMITIC ARSON ATTACK AS IRAN-LINKED GROUP CLAIMS RESPONSIBILITY

Firefighters tackle a blaze at Highfield Road in the Golders Green neighborhood of London after an apparent arson attack on four ambulances belonging to the Jewish Community Ambulance Service. (PA/PA Images via Getty Images)

U.K. Prime Minister Keir Starmer previously condemned the attack as a “horrifying” antisemitic act.

“An attack on our Jewish community is an attack on us all. We will fight the poison that is antisemitism,” Starmer wrote on X March 23.

A report from the SITE Intelligence Group says an Iran-backed network calling itself the Islamic Movement of the People of the Right Hand has claimed responsibility, according to Reuters.

Advertisement

UK ARRESTS 2 OVER ‘ANTISEMITIC ARSON ATTACK’ AS POLICE INVESTIGATE POSSIBLE IRAN LINK

Shadow Foreign Secretary Priti Patel visits the site after four ambulances belonging to Hatzola, a Jewish community organization, were set on fire in northwest London March 23, 2026. (Isabel Infantes/Reuters)

Despite the claim, officials have not formally classified the case as terrorism. However, counterterrorism police are leading the investigation, Metropolitan Police said.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Police in the United Kingdom previously arrested two other men, ages 45 and 47, in the days after the attack. They were later released on bail, according to the Metropolitan Police.

Advertisement

“I want to reiterate that the support we had from the local community since this attack took place has been incredible, and we will continue to work closely with local policing colleagues to do everything we can to keep the public safe,” Commander Helen Flanagan, head of Counter Terrorism Policing London, said in a statement.

The Metropolitan Police did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.

Fox News Digital’s Efrat Lachter and Greg Norman and Reuters contributed to this report.

World

Video: Hall of ‘Eternal Flame’ Burns Down in Japan

Published

on

Video: Hall of ‘Eternal Flame’ Burns Down in Japan

new video loaded: Hall of ‘Eternal Flame’ Burns Down in Japan

The sacred site of a flame that was lit more than 1,200 years ago, according to Buddhist spiritual leaders, burned down on Wednesday in southwestern Japan.
Advertisement

By Shawn Paik

May 21, 2026

    First North Korean Athletes Play in South Korea in Nearly 8 Years

    1:17

    Xi Meets Putin Days After Trump Visit

    0:57

    Train Crashes Into Bangkok Traffic, Killing at Least 8 People

    1:12

    Advertisement
    Xi Mentions Putin During Private Garden Walk With Trump

    2:05

    Deadly Storms Devastate Northern India

    0:42

    Trump and Xi Meet as Summit Begins

    1:58

Video ›

Today’s Videos

Advertisement

U.S.

Politics

Immigration

NY Region

Science

Advertisement

Business

Culture

Books

Wellness

World

Advertisement

Africa

Americas

Asia

South Asia

Donald Trump

Advertisement

Middle East Crisis

Russia-Ukraine Crisis

Visual Investigations

Opinion Video

Advertisement

Advertisement

SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

Continue Reading

World

Two suspected American communist insurgents killed in clash in the Philippines

Published

on

Two suspected American communist insurgents killed in clash in the Philippines

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Two Americans have died in the Philippines during a military engagement that the government said involved communist-linked groups.

Lyle Prijoles, 40, and transgender woman Kai Dana-Rene Sorem, 26, were among the 19 people killed last month during a firefight between the Philippine Army and suspected members of a communist insurgency.

The U.S.-born Filipino Americans are now at the center of a disputed encounter, with critics alleging the two were active combatants for the New People’s Army (NPA), the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP), which has been designated a foreign terrorist organization by the U.S. State Department. Human rights groups and the NPA, however, reportedly maintain that the pair were civilian activists who posed no military threat.

According to the City Journal, the two Americans were first exposed to left-wing ideology through college-linked institutions that critics say helped pave the way to involvement with groups the Philippine government has long argued serve as fronts for the CPP.

Advertisement

FAMILIAR PROTEST GROUPS MOBILIZE IMMEDIATELY AFTER ICE SHOOTING OF MINNESOTA PROTESTER

Members of the local Filipino youth diaspora, Anakbayan Alberta, react during the protest on Sunday, May 15, 2022. (young filipino group react during protest)

“This brings to two (2) the number of U.S. citizens—Lyle Prijoles and Kai Dana-Rene Sorem—who died in the same incident, a development that highlights the increasing involvement of individuals from outside the Philippines in local armed hostilities,” the Philippines’ National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) said.

“The presence of two American fatalities in a single encounter should prompt careful reflection on how involvement in certain activities or networks may lead to unintended exposure to dangerous environments.”

On April 19, Philippine troops engaged in an armed encounter in Toboso, Negros Occidental, according to the NTF-ELCAC. The agency characterized the 19 dead as enemy combatants during an operation aimed at dismantling the decades-long communist insurgency in the Philippines.

Advertisement

On the other hand, family members and human rights advocates reportedly described Prijoles and Sorem as dedicated civilian community activists. The NPA acknowledged that 10 of those killed were members of its armed revolutionary force, but claimed the remaining victims — including several activists such as Prijoles and Sorem — posed no military threat, the San Francisco Standard reported.

INSIDE THE FAR LEFT ‘BREEDING GROUND’ UNIVERSITIES ALLEGED WHCD CALLED HOME FOR YEARS

Members of the League of Filipino Students (LFS) from various schools and universities clash with the police in Manila on Nov. 13, 2025. (NurPhoto/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

In 2012, Prijoles, a Filipino American born and raised in San Diego, California, was involved with Anakbayan, which translates to “Children of the Nation,” a prominent left-wing youth and student organization founded in the Philippines in 1998. Anakbayan-USA operates across several major U.S. college campuses and has drawn scrutiny from critics over its opposition to U.S. involvement in the Philippines. 

His activism reportedly began after attending San Francisco State University around 2004, when he joined the League of Filipino Students (LFS), a left-wing political alliance rooted in Marxist, Leninist and Maoist ideology, the City Journal said.

Advertisement

After 2006, Prijoles reportedly made several trips to the Philippines organized by Bayan USA, another left-wing activist network. The Philippine government has alleged that both organizations function as fronts for the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP).

Prijoles also may have harbored animosity toward the Armed Forces of the Philippines after his friend — the father of his godchild and chairperson of the U.S. chapter of the International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines — survived a 2019 assassination attempt that left him paralyzed, according to City Journal.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Philippine Navy personnel are deployed to the area as members of the League of Filipino Students (LFS) from various schools and universities march towards the U.S. Embassy in Manila on Nov. 13, 2015. (George Calvelo/NurPhoto)

Meanwhile, Kai Dana Sorem was a Filipino American from Seattle whose political development was initially shaped by a search for personal and cultural identity, according to advocacy group Malaya Movement.

Advertisement

Her early political involvement reportedly included serving as a legislative page for the Washington State Democratic Party. Sorem later deepened her activism within left-wing Filipino diaspora organizations while attending the Central Washington University in 2020. She later launched the South Seattle chapter of Anakbayan, Malaya Movement said.  

In 2025, Sorem reportedly traveled to the Philippines on a U.S.-based exposure trip, and by 2026, she had relocated to the country full-time to work as an organizer.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

World

Bolivia’s president reshuffles cabinet amid anti-government protests

Published

on

Bolivia’s president reshuffles cabinet amid anti-government protests
NewsFeed

Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz has announced a cabinet reshuffle and other measures as protests demanding his resignation continue. Paz said the government wants to build a collaborative government with broader participation from social and economic groups.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending