Connect with us

World

'I am not quite myself': Danish PM gives first interview after attack

Published

on

'I am not quite myself': Danish PM gives first interview after attack

Danish Prime Minister Metter Frederiksen suffered minor whiplash in a street attack that follows a wave of attacks on politicians across Europe.

ADVERTISEMENT

In her first interview to Danish channel TV 2 since she was assaulted in a street attack last week, Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen told reporters “I am not quite myself,” and will continue to work from her office.

Frederiksen suffered a minor whiplash after a man assaulted her in central Copenhagen on Friday evening. Local media reported that a man walked towards Frederikson and pushed her before hitting her upper right arm.

Danish police believe the incident was likely not politically motivated.

The assault took place in Kultorvet, one of Copenhagen’s main squares.

Frederiksen did not give further details of the assault but told journalist, “it is very intimidating when someone crosses the last physical limit you have. There is some shock and surprise in that.”

Advertisement

The prime minister indicated that the assault followed “threats over a long period of time on social media have gotten worse, especially after the war in the Middle East.”

“As a human being, it feels like an attack on me,” said Frederiksen. “But I have no doubt it was the prime minister that was hit. In this way, it also becomes a kind of attack on all of us.”

The incident drew both domestic and international criticism as both Danish ministers and other leaders, including French President Emmanuel Macron, calling the attack “unacceptable.”

A 39-year-old Polish man living in Denmark was arrested and held in pre-trial custody until June 20.

Wave of attacks across Europe

The assault on Frederiksen follows a wave of violence directed towards politicians across Europe.

Advertisement

The most serious was an assassination attempt against Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico, who was shot multiple times last month as he greeted supporters. Fico survived the attack, but faces a long recovery.

In Germany, attacks on Green politicians have almost tripled in the past decade according to the German Federal Statistical Office.

Other politicians in Germany are not immune as both the coalition government and opposition parties’ day members and supporters have faced attacks in the run-up to the European elections.

Last week, a local council candidate for Alternative for Germany (AfD) party was injured in a knife attack in Mannheim.

In an interview with German television Tageschau, Social Democrat politician Lars Klingbeil pointed to an increase in violence against politicians on campaign trails, saying, “We notice at the party headquarters that colleagues keep coming to us and reporting that they have been attacked, threatened or persecuted. And the other democratic parties are experiencing this too. This is a social problem.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World

Canadian national pleads guilty to stealing Tesla trade secrets

Published

on

Canadian national pleads guilty to stealing Tesla trade secrets
A Canadian resident of China pleaded guilty in New York federal court on Thursday to stealing Tesla electric-vehicle battery manufacturing trade secrets and conspiring to sell them to undercover government agents, according to the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ).
Continue Reading

World

Ship hit twice in apparent Houthi cruise missile attack off Yemeni coast

Published

on

Ship hit twice in apparent Houthi cruise missile attack off Yemeni coast
  • A commercial ship was reportedly struck twice Thursday by Houthi-fired cruise missiles in the Gulf of Aden.
  • The Palauan-flagged M/V Verbena was still on fire at the time of U.S. Central Command’s report, and the mariner was flown via helicopter to another vessel for medical treatment.
  • “The M/V Verbena reported damage and subsequent fires on board. The crew continues to fight the fire,” a statement by Central Command said.

The U.S. said Thursday that the Iranian-backed Houthis launched two anti-ship cruise missiles and struck a commercial ship in the Gulf of Aden off Yemen, setting it on fire and severely injuring one civilian mariner.

U.S. Central Command said the M/V Verbena was still ablaze and the mariner was flown by a U.S. helicopter based on the USS Philippine Sea to another nearby ship for medical treatment.

In a statement, Central Command said the Verbena is a Palauan-flagged, Ukrainian-owned and Polish-operated bulk cargo carrier that had docked in Malaysia and was on its way to Italy carrying wood. “The M/V Verbena reported damage and subsequent fires on board. The crew continues to fight the fire,” the statement said.

HOUTHIS CLAIM ‘AMERICAN-ISRAELI SPY NETWORK’ MEMBERS ARRESTED

The attack is the latest such assault in the Houthis’ campaign over the Israel-Hamas war.

Earlier Thursday, the British military’s United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations center said a vessel had been attacked and had caught fire. And the private security firm Ambrey said a merchant vessel made a radio distress call saying it had been struck by a missile.

Advertisement

A fighter jet parks on the deck of the USS aircraft carrier Dwight D. Eisenhower, also known as IKE, in the Red Sea, Tuesday, June 11, 2024. (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue)

The Houthis did not immediately acknowledge Thursday’s attacks, but it typically takes the rebels hours or even days to claim them. The attack follows the Houthis launching a boat-borne bomb attack against a commercial ship in the Red Sea on Wednesday.

The Houthis, who seized Yemen’s capital nearly a decade ago and have been fighting a Saudi-led coalition since shortly after, have been targeting shipping throughout the Red Sea corridor.

They say the attacks are aimed at stopping the war and supporting the Palestinians, though the attacks often target vessels that have nothing to do with the conflict.

The war in Gaza has killed more than 36,000 Palestinians there, according to Gaza health officials, while hundreds of others have been killed in Israeli operations in the West Bank. It began after Hamas-led militants attacked Israel on Oct. 7, killing about 1,200 people and taking around 250 hostage.

Advertisement

The Houthis have launched more than 50 attacks on shipping, killed three sailors, seized one vessel and sunk another since November, according to the U.S. Maritime Administration. A U.S.-led airstrike campaign has targeted the Houthis since January, with a series of strikes May 30 killing at least 16 people and wounding 42 others, the rebels say.

Also Thursday, the Washington-based National Democratic Institute said three of its staff were detained by the Houthis earlier this month. Their detention comes as staff of United Nations agencies and those working for aid groups also have been detained in a widening crackdown by the rebels.

“This arbitrary and inhumane treatment of Yemeni citizens involved in humanitarian assistance, diplomacy, democracy and human rights, peacemaking and civil society development is entirely without foundation and must be ended immediately,” the institute said. It called for the “swift release by the Houthi regime of our staff, and of all individuals who have been unjustly detained.”

The institute is a democracy promotion organization that has worked in Yemen since 1993. It receives funding from the U.S. government and others.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

World

Russia says US journalist Evan Gershkovich to face trial for ‘CIA work’

Published

on

Russia says US journalist Evan Gershkovich to face trial for ‘CIA work’

Wall Street Journal rejects ‘false and baseless’ charge against 32-year-old reporter who has been in custody since March 2023.

Russian prosecutors have said US journalist Evan Gershkovich will face trial in the Ural city of Yekaterinburg, where he was detained more than a year ago after he was accused of working for the CIA.

Gershkovich, 32, is accused of “gathering secret information” on orders from the CIA about Uralvagonzavod, a facility that produces and repairs military equipment, the prosecutor general’s office said in a statement, revealing for the first time the details of the accusations against him. The statement gave no date for the trial.

Gershkovich, a journalist with the Wall Street Journal, has been in jail since he was arrested in Yekaterinburg, about 1,400 kilometres (870 miles) east of Moscow, on March 29, 2023, and was accused of spying. He denies any wrongdoing.

Following the Russian announcement, the Journal said that Gershkovich was facing “a false and baseless charge”. A joint statement from Almar Latour, the newspaper’s publisher, and its editor-in-chief, Emma Tucker, demanded Gershkovich’s immediate release.

Advertisement

“Russia’s latest move toward a sham trial is, while expected, deeply disappointing and still no less outrageous,” the statement said.

“Evan has spent 441 days wrongfully detained in a Russian prison for simply doing his job. Evan is a journalist. The Russian regime’s smearing of Evan is repugnant, disgusting and based on calculated and transparent lies.”

Gershkovich at his appearance in a Moscow court on April 23 [Alexander Zemlianichenko/AP Photo]

The United States designated Gershkovich “wrongfully detained” in April 2023, and President Joe Biden has called his detention “totally illegal”.

Latour and Tucker said they now expected the US government to step up efforts to secure his release.

US State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said Washington would continue to work to bring Gershkovich home.

Advertisement

“Evan has done nothing wrong. He should never have been arrested in the first place. Journalism is not a crime,” Miller said. “The charges against him are false. And the Russian government knows that they’re false. He should be released immediately.”

Potential prisoner swap

Gershkovich was the first US journalist to be arrested on spying charges in Russia since the Cold War, as Moscow enacted increasingly repressive laws on freedom of speech after sending troops into Ukraine. Washington has sought to negotiate his release, but Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Moscow would consider a prisoner swap only after a verdict in his trial.

Asked last week by The Associated Press news agency about Gershkovich, Russian President Vladimir Putin said the US was “taking energetic steps” to secure the journalist’s release. He told international news agencies in a rare news conference that any such releases “aren’t decided via mass media” but through a “discreet, calm and professional approach”.

“And they certainly should be decided only on the basis of reciprocity,” he added, alluding to a potential prisoner swap.

Gershkovich faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

Advertisement

The Uralvagonzavod factory, about 100km (60 miles) north of Yekaterinburg, has been sanctioned by Western countries. Based in the city of Nizhny Tagil in the Sverdlovsk region, it plays a crucial role in supplying tanks for Moscow’s war in Ukraine, according to the Russian Ministry of Defence.

The factory, which is run by a state conglomerate controlled by one of Putin’s allies, has publicly spoken of producing T-90M battle tanks and modernising T-72B3M tanks.

The number of tanks which Russia has lost in battle in Ukraine is a military secret in Russia, which says it has ramped up tank production.

The London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies think tank said in February that Russia had lost more than 3,000 tanks – the equivalent of its entire pre-war active inventory – but had enough lower-quality armoured vehicles in storage for years of replacements.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending