Connect with us

World

Commission denies singling out NGOs in green funding row

Published

on

Commission denies singling out NGOs in green funding row
ADVERTISEMENT

After a vote during a fractious meeting of the European Parliament’s environment committee, the row over the funding of non-governmental organisations in the EU policy bubble is rolling on, with a statement from the EU executive provoking criticism that it was bending to pressure from the political right.

The conservative European People’s Party (EPP) and allies further to the right lost by one vote on Monday evening a motion objecting to the EU executive’s decision on funding NGOs through the LIFE Programme for the period 2025 to 2027.

In a subsequent statement, the Commission noted that funding for NGOs was “explicitly provided for in the LIFE Regulation” and that it remained “fully committed to ensuring a healthy and vibrant civil society”. However, it also stated some work programmes attached to grant agreements “contained specific advocacy actions and undue lobbying activities”.

The EPP seized on the latter statement, with the co-sponsor of the censure motion Sander Smit saying the Commission had “finally admitted” wrongdoing – although Budget Commissioner Piotr Serafin did just that in the parliament in January, when he acknowledged use of EU funds to lobby MEPs was inappropriate.

Smit pointed to the EU executive’s fresh commitment to preclude “lobbying that targets specific policies or MEPs” from grant agreements, prevent conflicts of interest and review transparency. “This is good news for EU taxpayers, for the integrity and balance of EU Institutions and for the separation of powers,” he said.

“It is also good news for those parts of civil society organisations that work transparently and fairly,” the Dutch lawmaker added.

Advertisement

The European Environmental Bureau, among the largest green groups operating in Brussels, welcomed the Commission’s acknowledgment of the “essential role” of NGOs, but pointed to “serious questions” the process had raised around “blackmailing and backdoor influencing by some political groups”.

Commission denies ‘singling out’ NGOs

Faustine Bas-Defossez, the group’s policy director, said public funding enabled NGOs to work in the public interest and represent voices that would otherwise go unheard by policy makers. “If that’s considered ‘undue lobbying’, then we must seriously question what those standards mean for the future of democratic accountability in Europe,” she said.

The Socialists & Democrats group, second in size only to the EPP, slammed what it sees as submission to pressure from the right and demanded that environment commissioner Jessika Roswall explain why green groups are being “singled out”.

“This politically motivated move risks legitimising right-wing attacks to silence civil society,” the S&D said on social media. “We won’t accept this.”

Asked by Euronews to respond to this criticism, a spokesperson for the EU executive, Balazs Ujvari, said guidance issued last May applied to all beneficiaries of funding through the LIFE Programme, which has a budget of €5.43 billion for the period 2021-2027, of which NGOs shared about €15 million last year, with individual grants capped at €700,000.

Advertisement

Private companies, local authorities and research foundations also receive LIFE funding, but the issues that prompted the EU executive to take action had arisen in relation to NGOs “according to our own research and assessment”, Ujvari said.

“We don’t want to be seen as obliging…non-governmental organisations to lobby concrete members of the European Parliament,” the Commission official said. “This is the main consideration for us.”

Eurosceptics demand a parliamentary inquiry

If the EPP’s latest statement seemed somewhat conciliatory – they “strongly support the LIFE programme and recognise the very important role of NGOs”, the group’s environment policy coordinator Peter Liese said – the same cannot be said for the co-sponsor of the failed parliamentary motion, the eurosceptic ECR group.

On the morning after the vote, co-chair Nicola Procaccini told reporters in Strasbourg that the ECR wanted to set up a parliamentary committee of inquiry into what they are characterising as a full-blown corruption scandal.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We have successfully gathered the required number of signatures to initiate the procedure for a formal committee of inquiry about the so-called Timmermans-gate,” Procaccini said, adding that the proposal would be put forward at the next meeting of parliamentary group presidents, who set the parliamentary agenda.

However, it appears far from likely that the initiative will succeed. The ECR and its allies further to the right would need the support of the EPP, so the position of group leader Manfred Weber at the meeting on Thursday morning (3 April) will be decisive.

Advertisement

An official contacted by Euronews said the group had not formally discussed the subject. “However, the EPP generally does not support the multiplication of special parliamentary committees, especially when existing committees, such as CONT, are already fully capable of addressing the issue.”

The official was referring to the parliament’s committee on budgetary control, which is due to adopt on 7 April its report on the discharge of the Commission’s 2023 budget.

ADVERTISEMENT

Greens co-chair Terry Reintke told Euronews that NGOs play an “essential role in balancing the interests of business in European legislation” and it “goes without saying that EU funds must be spent according to the rules”, but she questioned the ECR’s motives.

“Following the script of Donald Trump and Viktor Orbán, ECR wants to silence NGOs and civil society, and we call on EPP members to stick with the democratic centre,” the German lawmaker said.

The EU Court of Auditors is due to present next week an eagerly awaited report into NGO funding that, although it will not specifically target groups operating primarily in the Brussels policy making bubble, will no doubt shine a light on the EU executive’s monitoring and transparency practices.

Advertisement

World

Suffocating Western pressure may finally force Russian oil output cuts

Published

on

Suffocating Western pressure may finally force Russian oil output cuts
Russian oil producers could be forced to sharply cut output in coming months as tightening pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump and European powers restricts the country’s exports and its storage fills up, a development that would further dent the Kremlin’s war chest.
Continue Reading

World

Australia Hanukkah terror attack suspect seen for first time in prison

Published

on

Australia Hanukkah terror attack suspect seen for first time in prison

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The man accused of carrying out a Hanukkah terror attack in Sydney, Australia, was seen publicly for the first time Monday, appearing by video link from Goulburn Supermax prison during a hearing at Downing Center Local Court.

7NewsAustralia reported that Naveed Akram, 24, spoke only briefly during the less than 10-minute hearing as a suppression order protecting the names of some victims was extended.

“Did you hear what just occurred?” Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund asked. “Yep,” Akram replied.

“Your solicitor will call you, OK?” Freund said.

Advertisement

FAMILIES MOURN LOVED ONES LOST IN BONDI BEACH TERROR ATTACK: ‘NO WORDS CAN DESCRIBE THE PAIN’

A court sketch depicts accused Bondi shooter Naveed Akram appearing via video link from Goulburn Supermax prison at Downing Centre Local Court in Sydney, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (Rocco Fazzari/AAP Image via AP)

“Yeah,” responded the shooting suspect.

Akram has been charged with one count of committing a terrorist act, 15 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder, and additional firearms and explosives offenses, according to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions website. 

The most serious charges carry potential life imprisonment.

Advertisement

ISRAELI DIASPORA MINISTER SAYS AUSTRALIA SHOULD HAVE SEEN ‘WRITING ON THE WALL’ BEFORE TERROR ATTACK

Rabbi Eli Schlanger, 10-year-old Matilda and French national Dan Elkayam were victims of the Bondi Beach attack.  (Audrey Richardson/Getty Images/Facebook/Eli Schlanger/GoFundMe/Project Volta)

Akram’s lawyer, Ben Archbold, told reporters it was too early to indicate how his client would plead, according to 7NewsAustralia.

“There’s a client that needs to be represented. And we don’t let our personal view get in the way of our professional application,” Archbold said.

His next court appearance is scheduled for April 8.

Advertisement

Police teams take security measures at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia, on Sunday after a terrorist attack targeting the Jewish community during the first night of Hanukkah.  ( Claudio Galdames A/Anadolu via Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The 24-year-old is accused of carrying out Australia’s deadliest terror attack targeting a Jewish “Hanukkah by the Sea” celebration at Bondi Beach in December. 

His father, Sajid Akram, 50, was shot and killed in a gun battle with police at the scene.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described the Bondi attack as an “ISIS-inspired atrocity,” saying at a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra late last year that the government had been informed by the Office of National Intelligence of an ISIS online video feed reinforcing that assessment.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

World

Ukraine team heads for Geneva talks as Moscow, Kyiv build military pressure

Published

on

Ukraine team heads for Geneva talks as Moscow, Kyiv build military pressure

Representatives of Ukraine, Russia and the US are set to meet for a third round of trilateral negotiations to end the four-year war.

Ukrainian officials have left for Geneva, Switzerland, where another round of negotiations aimed at ending the war with Russia is set to take place.

“On the way to Geneva. The next round of negotiations is ahead. Along the way, we will discuss the lessons of our history with our colleagues, seek the right conclusions,” Ukraine’s Chief of Staff Kyrylo Budanov posted on his Telegram channel on Monday, along with a picture of him standing in front of a train with two other members of the delegation he is heading.

Advertisement

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The Geneva talks follow two rounds of the United States-brokered negotiations held in the United Arab Emirates in January and early February.

The last meeting marked the first direct public talks between Moscow and Kyiv on a plan proposed by the Trump administration to end the conflict, which started with Russia invading its neighbouring country in February 2022.

Russia and Ukraine described both rounds of talks as constructive, but failed to achieve any breakthrough.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Sunday said he hoped the trilateral talks in Geneva “will be serious, substantive” and “helpful for all of us”.

“But honestly, sometimes it feels like the sides are talking about completely different things,” Zelenskyy said. “The Americans often return to the topic of concessions, and too often those concessions are discussed only in the context of Ukraine, not Russia.”

Advertisement

Among the most contentious issues is the long-term fate of the eastern Ukrainian region, large parts of which Russia has occupied. Moscow is demanding that Kyiv pull its troops from the Donbas region, including heavily fortified cities that sit atop vast natural resources, as a condition for any deal. It also wants international recognition for the land it has unilaterally annexed in eastern Ukraine.

Kyiv said the conflict should be frozen along the current front lines and has rejected a one-sided pullback of forces. Ukrainian officials are also demanding solid security guarantees against future Russian attacks.

Meanwhile, Al Jazeera’s Yulia Shapovalova, reporting from Moscow, said people in the Russian capital do not seem to be too enthusiastic about the talks.

“The general public does not take this next round very seriously. The first two did not answer a lot of questions,” she said, referring to the territorial issues and the implementation of a ceasefire mechanism.

As both parties prepare for further negotiations, they are also ramping up military pressure.

Advertisement

Kyiv said it carried out a large-scale drone attack on energy infrastructure in western Russia on Sunday.

On Monday, the governor of the Bryansk region, Alexander Bogomaz, said Russian forces destroyed more than 220 drones. The strikes, which lasted more than 12 hours, were the heaviest since the start of the war, he said. Residents were temporarily left without heating.

Russian army chief General Valery Gerasimov said on Sunday his forces took control of 12 settlements in eastern Ukraine this month, an equivalent of 200sq km (77sq miles).

“The task of the military operation continues to be carried out. The offensive is under way in all directions,” Gerasimov said while visiting troops on the front line in the Ukrainian territory.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending