Nevada
Apartment manager accused of charging ‘hidden fees’ to tenants in Nevada, other states
The federal government has taken a big apartment company with operations in the Las Vegas Valley to court, alleging it collected more than $100 million in “hidden fees” from tenants in Nevada and other states.
The Federal Trade Commission and Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser teamed up early this year, just days before President Joe Biden left office, to sue real estate giant Greystar.
They claimed in court papers that the nation’s largest multifamily-rental manager used “deceptive advertising” to entice would-be tenants into applying for units and then “bilked those consumers out of hundreds of millions of dollars” by charging hidden fees for itself and its landlord clients.
According to the complaint, Greystar “consistently omits” various mandatory fees from the advertised price of available units, and under the guise of cheaper rent, it can attract more prospective tenants.
Between summer 2019 and summer 2022, on property owners’ behalf, Greystar collected more than $100 million in hidden fees from tenants at properties it managed in California, Colorado, Nevada and Utah alone, the lawsuit alleged.
Greystar’s website lists 43 apartment communities in the Las Vegas Valley.
The civil complaint, filed Jan. 16 in federal court in Colorado, days before President Donald Trump took office, also alleged that prospective tenants have “limited options for recourse.”
If they realize the “true price” before signing a lease and try to withdraw their application, they can’t recoup the hundreds of dollars they paid during the process, and if tenants want to cancel their lease, Greystar charges termination fees often totaling thousands of dollars, according to the complaint.
The FTC, which was led by Chair Lina Khan when the case was filed, is now led by Andrew Ferguson, who was designated chairman of the agency by Trump.
The case against Greystar remains open, court records show.
In response to the lawsuit, Greystar previously said that rather than working with the company “to help drive meaningful improvements for consumers in the rental housing industry, the FTC has opted for headline-grabbing litigation in the waning days” of the Biden administration.
Greystar said that the complaint was “based on gross misrepresentations of the facts and fundamentally flawed legal theories” and that the company will “vigorously defend” itself against the suit.
“The FTC’s complaint targets a longstanding industrywide practice of advertising base rent to potential residents. The idea that this is done with the goal of hiding fees from consumers is patently false,” Greystar said. “No resident at a Greystar-managed community pays a fee they have not seen and agreed to in their lease.”
Greystar, based in Charleston, South Carolina, is led by billionaire founder Bob Faith. The company says it manages and operates nearly $315 billion worth of real estate in roughly 250 markets globally.
Contact Eli Segall at esegall@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0342.
Nevada
Raiders Nevada Mental Health Gala Greatly Successful
The Las Vegas Raiders have orchestrated many groundbreaking moves this offseason, but none as important as the impact they made at a fundraising event.
Over the weekend, the Raiders hosted the Silver & Black Gala, raising $2.5 million for mental health in Nevada. Sunday marked the third time the organization had hosted the event, which has produced a tremendous turnout.
Several individuals spoke during the event, including Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis and president Sandra Douglass Morgan, who each highlighted the importance of acknowledging mental health.
Davis’ Thoughts
- “We’re here to raise money for mental health, which is one of the most important things we can all deal with,” Davis said. “Every one of us is impacted by mental health and our families, friends, or anywhere else, we are all directly affected. That’s why it’s so critical to raise money for our community. We’re grateful for you all, and appreciate you being here.”
Morgan’s Thoughts
“Mental health remains one of the most urgent issues across Nevada,” Morgan said. “Through the Silver & Black Gala, the Raiders Foundation is helping expand access to trusted, community-based resources that meet people where they are. This year’s recipients reflect the depth and complexity of that work, supporting our community in schools, clubhouses, homes, shelters, and family systems statewide.”
The Raiders also honored former player Carl Nassib and NFL broadcaster Jay Glazer on Sunday night as the winners of the Commitment to Excellence award. Here is what each of them had to say.
Glazer’s Thoughts
- “First, this is incredible what the Raiders are doing,” Glazer said. “God blessed me with the ability to communicate, so I’m going to use that to try and help other people. When we’re willing to share our scars, we turn them into strength—into something that connects us as teammates with nothing to hide. That’s what builds a true team, a championship team. I’m proud to stand with you and be part of this team tonight.”
Nassib’s Thoughts
- “It is truly a privilege to be up here,” Nassib said. “We’re creating space for people to be vulnerable—and that work is truly lifesaving. It’s not about being perfect, it’s about showing up and reminding people they’re not alone.”
Overall Thoughts
This has been a tremendous event over the last few years, and the Raiders’ organization has done a great job of raising awareness for mental health. This will be an event that the team will continue to host in the future.
Follow
Nevada
Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video
The final casino resort in Primm, Nevada, will close this summer after years of declining tourism, ending gaming operations in the once-busy border town and putting hundreds of employees out of work.
Primm Valley Casino Resorts is shutting down its remaining hotel and casino operations in July as experts point to increased competition, changing travel habits and post-pandemic losses behind the decline.
Nevada
Nevada Governor GOP primary: 6 longshot candidates taking on incumbent Joe Lombardo
RENO, Nev. (News 4 & Fox 11) — Nevada Governor Joe Lombardo (R) is in a strong position heading into the thick of his 2026 reelection bid — a huge war chest, almost universal name recognition and strong favorability numbers among the electorate.
Though Lombardo is likely focusing on the general election already, he faces 6 longshot candidates in the GOP primary seeking to upset him in June.
Nevada Governor GOP primary: 6 longshot candidates taking on incumbent Joe Lombardo
The challengers face a ‘Herculean’ task, said Mike Noble, CEO and founder of Noble Predictive Insights, an Arizona-based nonpartisan pollster focusing on the Southwest region.
“I see it as a Herculean task for anyone. If someone was coming in with like, I don’t know $10 million or something to spend, sure I can see that might be competitive, but I don’t see any of them coming anywhere near close to that. And so again, I just think I think it’s a non-factor at this point,” Noble said.
RELATED | Ballot Battleground: Nevada podcast: Early Noble poll shows dead heat in governor’s race
Despite the long odds, News 4-Fox 11 reached out to all candidates requesting an interview as part of our commitment to 2026 election coverage and our Know Your Candidates series. Three of the 7 running interviewed with us — Irina Hansen, Kameron Hawkins, Lombardo and Jose Zelaya did not respond to multiple emails requesting an interview.
We asked them similar questions about Gov. Lombardo’s leadership as governor, how they would pass a balanced budget and whether they support taxpayer subsidies for sports teams or major projects.
Click the candidate’s name to watch their full interview. Quotes below have been edited for space and clarity.
Donald J. Beaudry Jr. is an entrepreneur who founded BlkEdgeAi, a financial technology firm specializing in AI-driven trading systems and market strategy, according to his campaign website.
He told News 4-Fox 11 that Nevada has been drifting the last four years with ‘no captain, no vision.’ He believes his Wall Street-like trading market called NGEX (Nevada Global Exchange) would generate enough revenue to eliminate sales taxes, property taxes, business taxes and vehicle registration fees.
“I completely blueprinted it out and calculated that this model could generate enough revenue in this state that we could eliminate all the state taxes and fees that are currently in place and use that as the revenue source for the state and make everybody, every man, woman and child throughout Nevada, a shareholder in the dividends of that exchange … it would be a kind of Wall Street type of stock market, but far broader, more advanced, and exponentially more profitable.”
Matthew Rian Winterhawk is the founder of SmartSlaps foundation, a nonprofit that works to help schools and students with civic engagement and community responsibility.
If elected, he described going through a DOGE-like review of the state budget to determine which areas can be cut or kept depending on their ‘dollar to impact’ ratio.
“What I would like to do is go through every department, I’m talking top to bottom, from here from the primary to the beginning. We will cut every piece of administrative bloat across the system … I need more money for my teachers. Teachers never see it, students never see it, the impact never reaches the classroom. It’s 100% administrative bloat.”
The son of immigrants, Barak Zilberberg is now an entrepreneur and real estate investor based in Las Vegas. He ran for governor in 2022, earning 0.2% of the vote in the GOP primary. He told News 4-Fox 11 he’s also running for President in 2028.
He said he’s running for governor to improve the educational system, bring jobs to Nevada and open up federal land to build more affordable housing.
“We’ve got get high-speed railing systems in here where we can transit very easily, efficiently, and basically moving around between economies of both cities. Not only that, I’d like to bring Disneyland here and the Olympics, sponsor the Olympics here. I just want to make this a well-known place of entertainment, a hub.”
To help voters make informed decisions this election year, News 4-Fox 11 is publishing and broadcasting dozens of interviews with candidates who will appear on the June primary ballot.
In fairness to all candidates, they were asked a series of similar questions. We are posting the full interviews online so voters can watch their responses in their entirety.
Visit our Know Your Candidates 2026 page to view other race previews and meet other candidates.
Email reporter Ben Margiott at bjmargiott@sbgtv.com. Follow @BenMargiott on X and Ben Margiott KRNV on Facebook.
-
Lifestyle17 minutes agoAre psychedelics getting a tech rebrand? : It’s Been a Minute
-
Education23 minutes agoVideo: The Police Clash with Anti-Government Protesters in Bolivia
-
Technology29 minutes agoMercedes’ electric AMG GT 4-door coupe can go 0-60 in 2 seconds
-
World35 minutes agoWHO head ‘deeply concerned’ over ‘scale and speed’ of Ebola spread, says emergency committee will meet
-
Politics41 minutes agoGeorgia Republicans head to runoff in secretary of state race defined by 2020 election claims
-
Health47 minutes agoCould Ebola spread to the US? WHO emergency sparks fears after American infected in Congo
-
Sports53 minutes agoLamar Jackson absent from Ravens OTA as new coach Jesse Minter downplays voluntary practice skip
-
Technology59 minutes agoTurning 65? Month-by-month plan to protect yourself