Connect with us

West

Blue city mayor’s official SUV stolen after thief breaks into office, swipes keys: police

Published

on

Blue city mayor’s official SUV stolen after thief breaks into office, swipes keys: police

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The mayor of Oakland, California’s city-owned SUV was stolen this week when City Hall was closed for Presidents Day.

“We know that someone jimmied open the mayor’s office, they stole the keys to her car, they went to the City Hall parking lot, they stole the car. This occurred on Monday,” Sam Singer, a spokesperson for the Oakland Police Officer’s Association, told Fox News Digital on Friday, after Mayor Barbara Lee’s official vehicle was taken. “She reported it, her staff reported it.”

Singer said the SUV was found around 24 hours later.

The Oakland Police Department confirmed on Thursday that a suspect had been arrested.

Advertisement

The mayor of Oakland, California’s city-owned SUV was stolen this week when City Hall was closed for President’s Day. (Lea Suzuki/San Francisco Chronicle via Getty Images)

“This afternoon, the Oakland Police Department (OPD) arrested a suspect in connection with [the] theft of a city-owned vehicle,” the department said on Facebook. “This is an active ongoing investigation. No additional details are being released at this time.”

Singer identified the suspect to Fox News Digital as Logan Tell DeSilva, 29, who was reportedly arrested on suspicion of burglary, auto theft and vandalism after the SUV was found in Vallejo.

The SUV is used to take the mayor to and from official events, FOX 2 reported.

Fox News Digital has reached out to the OPD for comment.

Advertisement

STEPHEN A SMITH CALLS ON GAVIN NEWSOM TO ‘ANSWER’ FOR CALIFORNIA’S HOMELESSNESS, CRIME

“No one in Oakland should have to worry about their car being stolen, whether they’re a resident, a city worker, or the Mayor,” Lee said in a statement earlier this week. “Public safety is a priority across our entire city.”

After her official SUV was stolen, Oakland Mayor Barbara Lee said safety is a top priority for the city.  (Santiago Mejia/San Francisco Chronicle via Getty Images)

The theft comes months after the Oakland Police Officers Association claimed that the city had defunded the police, which Singer reiterated to Fox News Digital on Friday, adding that City hall uses private security and the city spends more than $20 million for private security for all its city properties. 

“Crime in Oakland continues to be out of control because there’s not enough police officers and the mayor herself has now become a victim,” Singer told Fox News Digital. 

Advertisement

Huy Nguyen, president of the Oakland Police Officer’s Association, told KRON-TV last year, “The operational strength is about 530, so realistically, we’re down 300 police officers plus in our city just to be at a baseline.”

Oakland police at a crime scene. (Jane Tyska/Digital First Media/East Bay Times via Getty Images)

The union added in a statement last year that the city’s new budget will “result in further defunding in the Oakland Police Department and increase the danger of crime for residents and businesses.”

Lee told FOx News Digital: “As with criminal cases such as this, the Oakland Police Department is actively investigating, and we cannot comment further at this time. No one in Oakland should have to worry about their car being stolen, whether they’re a resident, a city worker, or the Mayor. Public safety is a priority across our entire city.” 

Her office also sent Fox News Digital statistics showing areas where they had increased police, including $220,000 for Oakland Police Department Academy Outreach, $1.4 million for sideshow prevention detail, and $700,000 for human trafficking special operations. 

Advertisement

“Additional recent OPD staffing support efforts led by the Mayor include launching the Merritt College pre-academy program for recruiting officers — and the Mayor securing $900,000 to reinstate police cadet program,” her office said, adding, “Mayor Lee is committed to getting to 700 officers as approved by voters in Measure NN.” 

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

While recent data has shown violent crime trending down in Oakland, the city was named the second most dangerous place to live by U.S. News and World Report for 2025-2026. Memphis, Tennessee, nabbed the top spot.

Related Article

California career politician Barbara Lee wins mayor race in embattled Oakland

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement

San Francisco, CA

San Mateo supervisor urges CDC to step up protections amid hantavirus outbreak

Published

on

San Mateo supervisor urges CDC to step up protections amid hantavirus outbreak


(KRON)– San Mateo County Supervisor David Canepa is asking the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to step up protections at ports and Airports across the country, including San Francisco International Airport (SFO), after the recent hantavirus outbreak.

The outbreak began aboard a cruise ship in May 2026.

The ship outbreak has reached 12 cases, nine of which have been confirmed. So far, three people have died.

In California, five people, including one Santa Clara County resident, are being monitored for possible exposure. Another Bay Area resident is being monitored separately in Nebraska.

Advertisement

In the U.S., the CDC is monitoring 41 people for Hantavirus. That includes an additional 16 who were not aboard the cruise ship where the outbreak began, but were exposed on an April flight from Johannesburg with a woman who was infected on the ship and later died.

Canepa is fighting for concrete policies that would protect Californians, specifically calling out the CDC to create a clear process when outbreaks, similar to the recent hantavirus outbreak, begin.

Along with the CDC, the World Health Organization is emphasizing that the overall risk to the public remains low. So far, there’s been no evidence of ongoing transmission.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Denver, CO

Nuggets’ Nikola Jokic finishes 2nd in MVP voting; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander repeats

Published

on

Nuggets’ Nikola Jokic finishes 2nd in MVP voting; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander repeats


Two of the top three players in the NBA will face each other Monday. The other, according to MVP voters, will be watching from the couch.

Nuggets center Nikola Jokic finished in second place in the 2025-26 MVP vote, the league announced Sunday night. In what was widely regarded as a three-horse race, Jokic was a distant runner-up but extended his streak of top-two finishes to six consecutive years, joining Bill Russell and Larry Bird as the only players to do so.

Oklahoma City Thunder point guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was crowned MVP for the second straight season. San Antonio Spurs phenom Victor Wembanyama, just 22 years old, placed third. He was also named Defensive Player of the Year last month. The Spurs and Thunder are set to compete in the Western Conference Finals starting Monday night.

The award is decided by a panel of 100 voters who cover the NBA and its teams for various local, national and international media outlets. Jokic appeared on all 100 ballots, earning 10 first-place votes and 48 second-place nods. He was third on 37 ballots, fourth on four, fifth on one.

Advertisement

Gilgeous-Alexander received the lion’s share of the first-place votes with 83. Wembanyama got five votes for first. Ballots are submitted before the playoffs begin, ensuring that only the regular season is taken into account — meaning that Denver’s first-round exit had no bearing on the tally this year.

Jokic averaged 27.7 points, 12.9 rebounds and 10.7 assists per game, marking the seventh time in NBA history that a player has averaged a triple-double. Jokic, Russell Westbrook and Oscar Robertson are the only players to accomplish the feat. Jokic has done it two seasons in a row.

He shot 56.9% from the field, 38% from 3-point range and 83.1% from the foul line, good for a 67% true shooting clip that ranked fifth in the league. At 66.5%, Gilgeous-Alexander was the only non-center to rank in the top eight. He averaged 31.1 points, 4.3 rebounds and 6.6 assists for the defending champion and first-place Thunder.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Seattle, WA

Caitlin Clark’s stats today in Indiana Fever vs Seattle Storm

Published

on

Caitlin Clark’s stats today in Indiana Fever vs Seattle Storm


play

Caitlin Clark and the Indiana Fever continued their 2026 WNBA regular season with an 89-78 victory against the Seattle Storm on Sunday, May 17.

Advertisement

Clark, a former Iowa women’s basketball star, and the Fever are 2-2 after the first four games of the regular season.

Here’s a look at how Clark fared in Sunday’s game in Indianapolis:

Caitlin Clark stats today in Indiana Fever vs Seattle Storm

  • Minutes: 23
  • Points: 21
  • Rebounds: 7
  • Assists: 10
  • Blocks: 2
  • Steals: 0
  • Turnovers: 5
  • FG shooting: 5-10
  • 3-point shooting: 2-4
  • Free throws: 9-9

Caitlin Clark, Indiana Fever upcoming games

  • May 20: vs. Portland Fire, 6 p.m. CT, USA Network
  • May 22: vs. Golden State Valkyries, 6:30 p.m. CT, ION
  • May 28: at Golden State Valkyries, 9 p.m. CT, Prime



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending