Sports
Michael Penix Jr's perseverance through injuries a 'positive,' will improve any NFL roster, Rome Odunze says
Rome Odunze could be among the first players taken off the board in Thursday’s NFL Draft. His Washington Huskies teammate Michael Penix Jr. may also be taken early.
Penix’s draft stock has risen over the last few weeks, making him one of the best quarterback prospects along with Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye and J.J. McCarthy.
Rome Odunze of the Washington Huskies celebrates his touchdown catch with Michael Penix Jr. during the Oregon State Beavers game at Reser Stadium on Nov. 18, 2023, in Corvallis, Oregon. (Tom Hauck/Getty Images)
Odunze vouched for Penix in an interview with Fox News Digital.
“I think everything on the field, that’s my QB1 in this draft,” the former Huskies wide receiver star. “I think he’s a tremendous talent. From what he’s been able to do on the field, I don’t think that there’s anything that he really lacks. He’s going to improve on all aspects of his game, just like he has in the past two years.”
Penix led Washington to the national title game against Michigan last season. He threw for 4,903 yards and 36 touchdown passes. In 2022, he had 4,641 passing yards and 31 touchdown passes. It was during those two seasons that he showcased what he’s capable of when he’s healthy.
He was oft-injured while at Indiana and he transferred to Washington after the 2021 season. Penix penned a letter to general managers last week, recalling his injuries and urging NFL officials to dive into his tape and overlook the concerns about his health.
Washington’s Rome Odunze hauls in a Michael Penix Jr. pass against the Utah Utes on Nov. 11, 2023, at Husky Stadium in Seattle. (Jesse Beals/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
2024 NFL DRAFT: 5 QBS DRAFTED, JETS ADD BOWERS IN NICK WRIGHT’S FINAL MOCK DRAFT
“I loved his tribute and his letter to GMs and I wholeheartedly agree with it,” said Odunze, who partnered with Sharpie ahead of his pro journey. “I think at this point, you turn on the field, there’s not anything that he can’t do. So, people are going to look at his injuries and things (and) the adversity that he’s gone through in the past. And I think he said it best, I think it’s important to view it as something that he persisted through and the perseverance that one has that you have to have when you are in the league as a quarterback and the face of a program.
“I see it as a positive for him to be able to go through those things and come out of the fire as leading his team to the national championship game. I think he’s a tremendous player, tremendous person, and he’s going to add an extreme talent to any roster.”
Will Penix be a part of an historic run on quarterbacks in the first round? Only time will tell.
Michael Penix Jr. of Washington prepares for a snap during the NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium on March 2, 2024, in Indianapolis. (Kara Durrette/Getty Images)
The Chicago Bears go on the clock at 8 p.m. ET.
Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
Sports
Cubs star Pete Crow-Armstrong fined for vulgar response to female heckler: report
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Chicago Cubs star center fielder Pete Crow-Armstrong was reportedly fined an undisclosed amount of money for his interaction with a Chicago White Sox fan on Saturday.
Crow-Armstrong, 24, was heckled by a fan after making a play during the fifth inning of the team’s 8-3 loss to the White Sox. He had a vulgar response to the female heckler.
“You suck my f–-ing d–k b—-,” Crow-Armstrong told the female fan.
Pete Crow-Armstrong #4 of the Chicago Cubs stands on deck in a game against the Philadelphia Phillies at Wrigley Field on April 21, 2026 in Chicago, Illinois. (Matt Dirksen/Chicago Cubs/Getty Images)
The fine for Crow-Armstrong is undisclosed, ESPN reported. He said he regretted his actions on Monday.
“I think I just regret my choice of words the most and who that affects in my life, directly and indirectly,” Crow-Armstrong said. “I don’t think that any of the women in my life would ever think that I would use those kind of words regularly, especially referring to them.
“So I’m just bummed out about the word choice, and that a bunch of little kids go and probably find their way to social media and see that as well.”
ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!
Pete Crow-Armstrong #4 of the Chicago Cubs reacts after getting hit by a pitch in the eighth inning against the Chicago White Sox at Rate Field on May 17, 2026 in Chicago, Illinois. (Michael Hirschuber/Getty Images)
Cubs manager Craig Counsell said he spoke with Crow-Armstrong and called fan interactions as part of the job.
“He made a mistake, and we’ve got to move on from it,” Counsell said before Chicago’s 9-3 loss to Milwaukee. “It’s a reality of this job. It happens. Fan interactions happen. You want to try to keep them positive, even when they’re not. Sometimes when it’s a really emotional situation, it’s difficult, but it’s still a requirement of the job.”
Crow-Armstrong is one of the best defensive center fielders in baseball and made his first All-Star team last season. Last season, Crow-Armstrong hit .247 with 31 home runs and 95 RBI.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Pete Crow-Armstrong #4 of the Chicago Cubs rounds the bases after hitting a two run home run against the Chicago White Sox during the ninth inning at Rate Field on May 16, 2026 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Daniel Bartel/Getty Images)
This season, Crow-Armstrong has not had the same success. In 49 games, he has hit just .229 with five home runs and 20 RBI.
The Cubs (29-20) will take on the Milwaukee Brewers (28-18) in the final game of their three-game series on Wednesday at 7:40 p.m. ET.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
Sports
Chiefs’ Rashee Rice ordered to 30 days in jail for probation violation after failing drug test
Kansas City Chiefs receiver Rashee Rice was taken into custody Tuesday and ordered to serve 30 days in jail after violating the terms of his probation stemming from a 2024 vehicle crash that left multiple people injured.
A spokesperson for the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office said in an email to The Times that Rice had tested positive for THC, the primary psychoactive chemical in marijuana. The fourth-year player out of Southern Methodist will remain in the Dallas County jail until June 16.
Based on that timeline, Rice will miss the Chiefs’ voluntary team workouts May 26-28 and June 1-3 and mandatory minicamp June 9-11.
“We are aware of the reports and have been in touch with the league office,” a Chiefs spokesman told the Associated Press, declining further comment. An NFL spokesperson told The Times that the league is “aware of the report” and also declined further comment.
Also on Tuesday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that Rice underwent surgery on his right knee last week to remove loose debris that was causing inflammation. Rice is expected to be ready for training camp this summer, according to Schefter.
The Chiefs did not immediately respond to The Times’ request for comment regarding Rice’s reported surgery.
Rice was sentenced to 30 days in jail last July after pleading guilty to third-degree felony charges of collision involving serious bodily injury and racing on a highway causing bodily injury. He was, however, granted flexibility as to when to serve his jail time and had not served it yet.
After his recent probation violation, the district attorney’s office spokesperson said, Rice was ordered to serve that jail time immediately.
On March 30, 2024, according to prosecutors, Rice was driving a Lamborghini Urus SUV at 119 mph when made “multiple aggressive maneuvers around traffic” and struck other vehicles, then fled the scene on foot without checking on anyone in the other vehicles.
He was suspended for the first six weeks of the 2025 season for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy.
In 28 games with the Chiefs, Rice has 156 receptions for 1,797 yards and 14 touchdowns. He is entering the final year of his rookie contract.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Sports
Lamar Jackson absent from Ravens OTA as new coach Jesse Minter downplays voluntary practice skip
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The Baltimore Ravens were without their two-time NFL MVP quarterback when Tuesday’s organized team activities (OTAs) began.
Why Lamar Jackson was absent from Tuesday’s media-open practice remains unclear. Monday’s voluntary OTAs were closed to reporters. New Ravens coach Jesse Minter offered little explanation but downplayed concerns about Jackson’s absence and suggested the star quarterback would return soon.
“Lamar’s been one of our leaders of the offseason program, and he had a couple things going on yesterday and today, and I do expect him to be back soon,” Minter said. “We’ve had some great conversations. I know when he’s going to be back and again, I’ll probably leave those between me and Lamar.”
Lamar Jackson of the Baltimore Ravens watches the NFL preseason game against the Washington Commanders at Northwest Stadium in Landover, Md., on Aug. 23, 2025. (Greg Fiume/Getty Images)
Minter replaced John Harbaugh, who was dismissed in January after 18 seasons as the Ravens’ head coach. The New York Giants hired Harbaugh shortly after his departure from Baltimore.
Jackson’s attendance at voluntary offseason activities has drawn attention because of its inconsistency throughout his NFL career. It’s hard to say how much that matters, but it’s certainly an issue critics have pointed to from time to time. His contract, with two years remaining, has also been a significant topic lately after he and the Ravens did not agree to an extension before the start of free agency. Baltimore instead restructured Jackson’s deal to create cap space.
LAMAR JACKSON HITS BACK AT CRITICS WITH FAITHFUL MESSAGE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
The Ravens held minicamp in April — the first under Minter — and Jackson was in attendance.
At the end of Tuesday’s OTAs, the team took part in a little game in which players from the offense and defense competed at throwing medicine balls. Minter said that’s part of preparing the team to play well in the most important moments.
New Baltimore Ravens head coach Jesse Minter is introduced during a news conference at Under Armour Performance Center in Owings Mills, Maryland, on Jan. 29, 2026. (Rob Carr/Getty Images)
“We end practice every day (with an) ‘At our best when our best is needed’ period, and so that could be anything different. Today, we decided to do a little friendly competition,” Minter said.
“Right now, you can’t really do the football competition, and so I thought it would be something different, something fun. I try to get guys to not know what’s about to happen and answer the bell when their number’s called, and it’s as simple as that. That’s really all we’re trying to get done with that and make it fun, have the guys pull for each other.”
Lamar Jackson of the Baltimore Ravens warms up before the game against the New England Patriots at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Md., on Dec. 21, 2025. (Kevin Sabitus/Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Star running back Derrick Henry caused a brief scare after a knee-to-knee collision with another player. Though he stayed down momentarily, he later returned to practice.
“The ground felt like a bed for a little while,” he said. “And I saw you all (reporters) looking hot and bored, so I was like, ‘I need to give them something to tweet and write about.’”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
-
News3 minutes agoColorado Democratic Party censures Gov. Jared Polis after he commutes Tina Peters’ sentence
-
Los Angeles, Ca2 hours agoSouthern California jeweler accused of stealing $1.5 million from customers through Rolex watch scam
-
Detroit, MI2 hours agoAir France flight bound for Detroit diverted to Canada over passenger from Congo, officials say
-
San Francisco, CA2 hours agoCaltrans considering 140 mph bus that would take passengers from San Francisco to Los Angeles
-
Dallas, TX2 hours agoDallas police seek two people of interest seen leaving Deep Ellum shooting that injured five
-
Miami, FL2 hours agoInter Miami nearing deal to bring in Brazilian star Casemiro to pair with Lionel Messi
-
Boston, MA3 hours agoBoston City Council deadlocks on push to reject Mayor Wu’s $4.9B budget
-
Denver, CO3 hours agoDenver weather: More rain to end the week