Sports
Kiké Hernández caps milestone day with heroic effort in thrilling Dodgers win
Kiké Hernández was having a pretty memorable Saturday even before he set foot in Dodger Stadium, the veteran utility man starting the weekend with an emotional family gathering to mark the day he reached 10 years of major league service time, a milestone fewer than 10% of players achieve.
“It was at home with my wife, my daughter, my parents, my two sisters and their boyfriends and my dogs,” Hernández said. “My wife prepared an hourlong video of all my friends from back home [in Puerto Rico] with messages from people who have impacted my career. It was definitely a great way to start my day.”
Somehow, Hernández authored an even better finish, entering the game against the Boston Red Sox as a pinch-hitter in the seventh inning and almost single-handedly keeping the Dodgers in it with clutch, score-tying hits in the ninth and 10th innings.
Will Smith then delivered a bases-loaded single to left-center in the bottom of the 11th to give the Dodgers a dramatic 7-6, walk-off victory in front of a rollicking crowd of 48,129 in Chavez Ravine.
“It’s been a day of a lot of reflection,” Hernández said at his corner locker afterward, his brow still sweaty and his uniform covered in dirt. “This game, it’s such a grind, such a long season. It’s hard to sit back and appreciate what you’ve done or what the game has done for you.”
There was a certain symmetry to Hernández’s afternoon. The 32-year-old has played 7½ seasons of his 11-year career with the Dodgers and 2½ seasons with the Red Sox, the teams that packed about as much drama as you can fit in a 3½-hour nationally televised regular-season game.
And Hernández was a teammate of Kenley Jansen, the man he hit a game-tying home run off of in the ninth inning, in both Los Angeles and Boston.
“It’s funny how things work,” Hernández said. “I’ve played for four teams, and the two I played the majority of my career with are here at Dodger Stadium on the day I celebrate my tenure. It’s a really beautiful thing.”
Dodgers catcher Will Smith gets a face full of water as he celebrates with teammates after hitting a walk-off single in the 11th inning Saturday.
(Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)
The lead changed hands three times in the the first seven innings, with Tyler O’Neill crushing a two-run homer off left-hander Anthony Banda to give the Red Sox a 4-3 lead in the seventh, an inning that began with James Outman making a spectacular, leaping catch of a Rob Refsnyder drive as the Dodgers center fielder crashed into the wall.
The bottom of the ninth began with a familiar sight in Chavez Ravine, as Jansen, the former Dodgers closer, entered to protect a one-run lead against the team with whom he notched the first 350 saves of his career.
Jansen grooved a 2-and-2 cut fastball to his old buddy, and Hernández, who entered with a .191 average, .557 on-base-plus-slugging percentage, five homers and 15 RBIs in 71 games, drove a a 415-foot homer to left to tie the score 4-4.
“I’ve played a lot behind Kenley, but I had only faced him once when he was in Atlanta in 2022,” Hernández said. “I ambushed the first pitch, and he broke my bat on a two-seamer that went out to the warning track. The whole way back to the dugout, he was yelling at me, ‘Keep cheating to the cutter! Keep cheating to the cutter!’
“He’s not really throwing the two-seamer this year, so there’s no mystery to what Kenley is trying to do. He gave me one to handle, and I didn’t miss it.”
Did Jansen say anything to Hernández this time?
“If he did, I didn’t hear it because the stadium was loud, and I kind of blacked out because it had been a while since I did something in a big moment in this stadium,” Hernández said. “But I’m sure he might have some words tomorrow.”
The Red Sox took a 6-4 lead in the top of the 10th when O’Neill hit his second homer of the game, a two-run shot to center off Dodgers closer Evan Phillips, one of the relievers responsible for blowing a five-run lead in the ninth inning of a walk-off loss to the Detroit Tigers in the final game before the All-Star break.
Back came the Dodgers in the bottom of the 10th. Andy Pages hit a one-out double to left off Red Sox right-hander Greg Weissert to score Freddie Freeman, who began the inning as the automatic runner at second base, and cut the deficit to 6-5.
Miguel Rojas, who tapped a check-swing comebacker to the mound to start an inning-ending, 1-2-3 double play with the bases loaded in the eighth, struck out. Up stepped Hernández, who took a first-pitch sweeper for a strike and swung through a second-pitch sweeper for Strike 2. But Hernández worked his way back to a full count and lined a 96-mph sinker to center for a single and a 6-6 tie.
Hernández was thrown out at second trying to advance on the throw home to end the 10th, but his big day wasn’t done yet.
“I’ve never faced the guy — he’s a very funky right-hander with a huge crossfire delivery,” Hernández said of Weissert. “I got down 0-2, and after that, it was just about slowing everything down, taking it pitch by pitch and having a lot of self-talk.
Dodgers catcher Will Smith celebrates after hitting a walk-off single in the 11th inning of a 7-6 win over the Red Sox on Saturday.
(Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)
“It’s been hard to stay confident, but I kept telling myself throughout the at-bat that there’s nobody better in these types of situations. Just get a pitch, don’t chase, and don’t try to do too much. All I have to do is get a hit or a walk. That 3-2 pitch was right there, and I hit a liner up the middle.”
Reliever Blake Treinen gave the Dodgers a chance to win by escaping a two-on, no-out jam in the top of the 11th, striking out Dominic Smith, getting Ceddanne Rafaela to pop out to first base and pinch-hitter Masataka Yoshida to pop out to third.
“That was huge,” manager Dave Roberts said. “Inheriting the baserunner, it’s hard to get out of there with no run.”
Pinch-hitter Cavan Biggio opened the bottom of the 11th with a sacrifice bunt to advance Hernández, the automatic runner, to third. Chris Taylor walked, and Shohei Ohtani was intentionally walked to load the bases.
Boston brought an outfielder in for a five-man infield, but Will Smith hit a ball where the Red Sox weren’t to give the Dodgers their second straight come-from-behind win.
“There was a lot of back and forth, homers, clutch hits … it was a fun game to be a part of,” Smith said. “I wish we could have closed it out a little earlier, but we were able to grind through it and come out with a win.”
Dodgers left-hander Justin Wrobleski gave up three hits, struck out five and walked two in 4⅓ innings of his third big-league start, and reliever Brent Honeywell, in his second appearance for the Dodgers, threw scoreless eighth and ninth innings.
Gavin Lux hit a solo homer in the second, and the Dodgers scored twice in the sixth for a 3-2 lead when Ohtani doubled, Freeman walked, Teoscar Hernández hit an RBI single and Pages hit a sacrifice fly.
But when it was over, it was Kiké Hernández whom teammates honored with a champagne toast in the clubhouse, a tradition that Roberts started a few years ago to salute players reaching 10 years of service time.
“My family did a really good job this morning of making sure that I enjoy today,” Hernández said. “I had two big moments in the game, and I’m glad we got the win. It’s been a special day for me.”
Sports
Pro wrestling star learns what ‘land of opportunity’ means in US as he details journey from Italy to America
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Cristiano Argento has been tearing up opponents in the ring for the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) as he worked his way up the ladder to get a few shots at some gold.
But the path to get to one of the most prestigious pro wrestling companies in the U.S. was long and a path that not many wrestlers have taken.
Argento was born and raised in Osimo, Italy – a town of about 35,000 people located on the east side of the country closer to the Adriatic Sea. He told Fox News Digital he started training in a ring at a boxing gym before he got started on the independent scene in Italy. He wrestled in Germany, Sweden, France and Denmark before he came to the realization that, to become a professional wrestler, he needed to make his way to the United States.
ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!
Cristiano Argento performs in the National Wrestling Alliance (Instagram)
He first worked his way to Canada to get trained by pro wrestling legend Lance Storm. He moved to Canada, leaving most of his friends and family behind and without a firm grasp on the English language.
“At the time, my English was horrible. I didn’t speak any English at all,” he said. “But I was with my friend, Stefano, he came with me and he translated everything for me. I probably missed 50% of the knowledge that Lance Storm was giving to us because I was unable to understand. I was only given a recap and everything I was able to see. I’m sure if I was doing it now with a proper knowledge of English, it would have been a different scenario.
“Eventually, I moved back to Italy after the training and I said, OK, now, I want to go to the U.S. So, I studied English more properly, and eventually I got my first work visa that was in Texas. I was in Houston for a short period of time. I trained with Booker T at Reality of Wrestling. I got on his show, which was my debut in the U.S. That was awesome. I eventually got a new work visa in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where I currently live since 2017. Since then, my wrestling career, thankfully, kept growing, growing, growing and growing until now wrestling for the NWA. One of the bigger promotions in the U.S.”
Argento said that his family thought he was “nuts” for chasing his pro wrestling dream.
He said they were more concerned about his well-being given that he was half-way around the world without anyone he knew by his side in case something went sideways.
“My family, friends, everybody was like why do you want to move to the opposite side of the world not knowing the language, not knowing anybody, by yourself, to try to become a professional wrestler? And I was like, well, we have one life, I love, and that’s what I’m gonna do,” he told Fox News Digital. “Eventually, my family was really supportive. But when I first said, ‘Hey, mom and dad, I want to do that.’ They looked at me like, ‘Are you nuts? Are you drunk or something? What are you talking about?’ And I said, no that’s what I want to do. And they knew I loved this sport because in Italy I was traveling around Europe, spending time in Canada training, so they started to understand slowly that’s what I want to do with my life. They were proud of me.
Cristiano Argento works out in the gym. (Instagram)
“They’re still proud of me. I think more like the fact that you’re gonna try that, that it’s hard than more like you’re gonna leave us. The fact like, oh, my son is gonna go on the opposite side of the world for a six-hour time difference and we’re gonna see him maybe, when, like, I don’t know. Not often. I think it was more that. And for me too, it was really hard. It was heartbreaking not being able to see my family every day or every month. Like once a year if I’m lucky. I think that was the biggest part for them because of concern or that I was here by myself and if I have any issue or any problem, I didn’t have nobody. So they were scared. Like, you get sick, if you have a problem, anything, and they’re not being able to be here next to me. But they were really supportive since day one.”
Argento is living out his dream in the U.S. He suggested that the moniker of the U.S. being the “land of opportunity” wasn’t far from what is preached in movies and literature – it was the real thing.
“I was inspired by people who came to the U.S. and made it big,” Argento told Fox News Digital. “The U.S. was always like the land of opportunity. That’s how they sell it to us and this is what it is. I feel like, in myself, that was true because anything I tried to do so far I was able to reach a lot more than if I wasn’t here. I’m not yet where I’d like to be but I see like there’s so many opportunities in this country. Not just in wrestling but like in any business to reach the goal. I’m really happy of the choices I did here.
National Wrestling Alliance star Cristiano Argento poses in Times Square in New York. (Instagram)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
“But my big inspirations were big-time actors who moved to the country, who didn’t know English, with no money, no support system. I had one dream, I have to go right there to make it happen and I’m gonna go and do it and I’m gonna make it happen. So those people were always the biggest inspiration even if it wasn’t in wrestling, just how they handled their passion, how they pursued their dream without being scared of anything, how far you are, how alone by yourself … You don’t know the language, you’re like, let’s go, let’s do it.”
Outside of the NWA, Argento has performed for the International Wrestling Cartel, Enjoy Wrestling and Exodus Pro Wrestling this year.
Sports
Loyola wins Southern Section Division 1 lacrosse championship
There’s no denying that Loyola’s lacrosse program is best in Southern California and could be that way for years to come with the number of elite young players participating.
On Saturday night, the Cubs (16-3) won their latest Southern Section Division 1 championship with a 14-6 win over Santa Margarita. The Cubs have won three title since the sport was adopted as a championship event in the Southern Section. Defense has been Loyola’s strength all season.
Senior defenders Chase Hellie and Everett Rolph and junior goalkeeper William Russo led one of the best defenses in program history under coach Jimmy Borell.
Senior Cash Ginsberg finished with five goals and junior North Carolina commit Tripp King finished with two goals.
In girls Division 1, Mira Costa upset top-seeded Santa Margarita 12-6.
Sports
Napoleon Solo wins 151st Preakness Stakes
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Napoleon Solo took home the 2026 Preakness Stakes on Saturday, the 151st running of the race.
The favorite in Taj Mahal, the 1 horse, was in the lead from the start until the final turn until Napoleon Solo made his move on the outside and took the lead at the top of the stretch. As Taj Mahal fell off, Iron Honor, the 9 horse, snuck up, but the effort ultimately was not enough.
Napoleon Solo opened at 8-1 and closed at 7-1. Iron Honor, at 8-1, finished second, with Chip Honcho fishing third after closing at 11-1. Ocelli, one of just three horses to run both the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago and Saturday’s Preakness, finished fourth at 8-1.
A Preakness branded starting gate is seen on track prior to the 151st Preakness Stakes at Laurel Park on May 16, 2026 in Laurel, Maryland. For the first and only time, Laurel Park is hosting the Preakness Stakes which is the second race of the Triple Crown jewel due to the traditional home of the race of the Pimlico Race Course undergoing complete renovations. (Patrick Smith/Getty Images)
A $1 exacta paid out $53.60, while a $1 trifecta brought in $597.10. But someone out there is very lucky, as a $1 superhighfive – picking the top-five finishers in order – paid out $12,015.70.
Even moreso, a 20-cent Pick 6 – picking the winners of the six consecutive races, with the final being the Preakness, paid out $33,842.34.
The race was run without the Kentucky Derby winner for the second year in a row. After Sovereignty did not run the Preakness last year – and wound up winning the Belmont Stakes – the training team of Golden Tempo opted to skip the Maryland race.
From 1960 to 2018, only three Derby winners did not run in the Preakness. Three Derby winners have skipped the Preakness in the last five years, and for the sixth time in eight years, for various reasons, the Triple Crown had already been impossible to accomplish by the time the Preakness even rolled around.
“I understand that fans of the sport or fans of the Triple Crown are disappointed, but the horse is not a machine,” Golden Tempo’s trainer, Cherie DeVaux, told Fox News Digital earlier this week.
Paco Lopez, right, atop Napoleon Solo, edges out Iron Honor, ridden by Flavien Prat, to win the 151st running of the Preakness Stakes horse race, Friday, May 15, 2026, at Laurel Park in Laurel, Maryland. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
CHERIE DEVAUX REFLECTS ON MAKING KENTUCKY DERBY HISTORY AS FIRST FEMALE TRAINER TO WIN THE RACE
Only three horses from two weeks ago – Ocelli, Robusta, and Incredibolt, were back at the Preakness. Corona de Oro, the 11 horse on Saturday, was scratched well ahead of the Derby, and Great White, who reared up and fell on his back after becoming startled shortly before entering the Derby gate, took the 13 post on Saturday.
The Preakness went off roughly 24 hours after a horse died following the completion of his very first race.
Hit Zero, trained by Brittany Russell, came into the race as the favorite. However, he finished last in the race, which was won by another one of Russell’s horses, Bold Fact — and upon crossing the finish line, Hit Zero reportedly began coughing, dropped to his knees, then put his head down and died.
The Preakness took place at Laurel Park as Pimlico undergoes renovations. It was the first time ever that Pimlico did not host the race, moving roughly 20 miles south.
Paco Lopez, atop Napoleon Solo, wins the 151st running of the Preakness Stakes horse race, Friday, May 15, 2026, at Laurel Park in Laurel, Maryland. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
The Belmont Stakes, the final Triple Crown race, will take place on June 6. The race will return to Saratoga for a third year in a row as Belmont Park continues to be renovated.
Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
-
New York16 minutes agoRead the complaint filed against a top militia commander linked to Iran.
-
Los Angeles, Ca22 minutes agoLong Beach man arrested for murder in deadly hit-and-run crash
-
Detroit, MI46 minutes agoPistons’ playoff run ends in Game 7 blowout to Cavaliers
-
San Francisco, CA58 minutes agoSan Mateo supervisor urges CDC to step up protections amid hantavirus outbreak
-
Dallas, TX1 hour agoThe art of showing up: how two Dallas women paint a new vision for relief
-
Miami, FL1 hour agoMessi’s goal, assist lead Inter Miami to 2-0 win over Portland and first at new stadium
-
Boston, MA1 hour agoFire breaks out at East Boston home, spreads to neighboring buildings
-
Denver, CO1 hour agoNuggets’ Nikola Jokic finishes 2nd in MVP voting; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander repeats