Connect with us

Sports

Falcons select quarterback Michael Penix Jr. in draft stunner after signing Kirk Cousins

Published

on

Falcons select quarterback Michael Penix Jr. in draft stunner after signing Kirk Cousins

The Atlanta Falcons shook things up.

The Falcons, who signed Kirk Cousins to a four-year deal earlier this offseason, selected Washington quarterback Michael Penix Jr. in the draft’s first stunner Thursday night.

Cousins is 35 years old and coming off an Achilles tear, so maybe this is a security blanket. But Cousins did sign for $180 million with $100 million guaranteed.

Michael Penix Jr. of the Washington Huskies throws in the second half against the Michigan Wolverines during the 2024 CFP national championship game at NRG Stadium Jan. 8, 2024, in Houston.  (Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)

Advertisement

It’s a stunner considering just about every expert had Penix as the fifth quarterback being taken. Instead, he was the fourth, and Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy remains available.

Last season, Washington’s reign over the Pac-12 continued. Penix threw for 4,903 yards with 36 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. His efforts with a high-octane offense led to a national championship appearance, though Michigan defeated Washington. 

Washington Huskies quarterback Michael Penix Jr. throws an interception during the CFP national championship game against the Michigan Wolverines Jan. 8, 2024, at NRG Stadium in Houston.  (David Buono/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

That performance probably hurt his stock. He completed 27 of his 51 passes for 255 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.

Michael Penix Jr. of the Washington Huskies celebrates after a 37-31 victory against the Texas Longhorns in the CFP semifinal Sugar Bowl at Caesars Superdome Jan. 1, 2024, in New Orleans. (Sean Gardner/Getty Images)

Advertisement

Penix, who will soon turn 24, also has an injury history before even taking an NFL snap. 

He’s torn his right ACL twice, once in 2018 and once in 2020 with Indiana, and he had a clavicle fracture in 2019 and an A/C joint separation in 2021.

Fox News’ Scott Thompson contributed to this report.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Advertisement

Sports

Sophomore Carlos Acuna grinds out complete game to send Birmingham to Dodger Stadium

Published

on

Sophomore Carlos Acuna grinds out complete game to send Birmingham to Dodger Stadium

If anyone needs a definition for what grinding means in sports, sophomore Carlos Acuna’s performance on Wednesday at Cal State Northridge provided the answer.

In six of seven innings, the Birmingham High pitcher saw Carson get the leadoff man on base. That’s usually something that leads to disaster. But Acuna kept coming up with key strikeouts pitching into the seventh.

Coach Matt Mowry was asked if Acuna was close to being pulled.

“Heck, yeah,” he said. “He was on the edge of coming out.”

Except Acuna refused to give Mowry the chance. He got a fly ball out to right field to end a 4-1 complete-game victory to send Birmingham into the City Section Open Division championship game on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Dodger Stadium against West Valley League rival El Camino Real, a 4-3 winner over Granada Hills. Birmingham has won eight City titles. El Camino Real has won 10.

Advertisement

Acuna threw 102 pitches to finish his pitching season with an 11-0 record. He struck out seven, walked three and gave up four hits. As he has done all season, he pitched with the maturity of a senior. Nothing fazes him.

“It’s an amazing season he’s having,” Mowry said.

He has thrown 91 innings and since Birmingham has opted out of playing in the state playoffs, Saturday’s game at Dodger Stadium will be his last this season. He’ll be playing third base or second base, and that’s fine with him.

“I love this team,” Acuna said. “I want to play one last game.”

When in trouble, Acuna turned to his slider as his out pitch. The only run he gave up came in the sixth inning after Xavier Allen had a double and scored on a ground out.

Advertisement

JJ Rodriguez contributed two RBIs for Birmingham and JuJu Monroe-Truitt had two hits and one RBI.

It will be No. 1-seeded Birmingham against No. 2-seeded El Camino Real on Saturday in a venue both programs know well. Nathan Soto will start on the mound for Birmingham and Hudson December for El Camino Real.

Continue Reading

Sports

Cubs star Pete Crow-Armstrong fined for vulgar response to female heckler: report

Published

on

Cubs star Pete Crow-Armstrong fined for vulgar response to female heckler: report

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Chicago Cubs star center fielder Pete Crow-Armstrong was reportedly fined an undisclosed amount of money for his interaction with a Chicago White Sox fan on Saturday.

Crow-Armstrong, 24, was heckled by a fan after making a play during the fifth inning of the team’s 8-3 loss to the White Sox. He had a vulgar response to the female heckler.

“You suck my f–-ing d–k b—-,” Crow-Armstrong told the female fan.

Advertisement

Pete Crow-Armstrong #4 of the Chicago Cubs stands on deck in a game against the Philadelphia Phillies at Wrigley Field on April 21, 2026 in Chicago, Illinois. (Matt Dirksen/Chicago Cubs/Getty Images)

The fine for Crow-Armstrong is undisclosed, ESPN reported. He said he regretted his actions on Monday.

“I think I just regret my choice of words the most and who that affects in my life, directly and indirectly,” Crow-Armstrong said. “I don’t think that any of the women in my life would ever think that I would use those kind of words regularly, especially referring to them.

“So I’m just bummed out about the word choice, and that a bunch of little kids go and probably find their way to social media and see that as well.”

ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

Advertisement

Pete Crow-Armstrong #4 of the Chicago Cubs reacts after getting hit by a pitch in the eighth inning against the Chicago White Sox at Rate Field on May 17, 2026 in Chicago, Illinois. (Michael Hirschuber/Getty Images)

Cubs manager Craig Counsell said he spoke with Crow-Armstrong and called fan interactions as part of the job.

“He made a mistake, and we’ve got to move on from it,” Counsell said before Chicago’s 9-3 loss to Milwaukee. “It’s a reality of this job. It happens. Fan interactions happen. You want to try to keep them positive, even when they’re not. Sometimes when it’s a really emotional situation, it’s difficult, but it’s still a requirement of the job.”

Crow-Armstrong is one of the best defensive center fielders in baseball and made his first All-Star team last season. Last season, Crow-Armstrong hit .247 with 31 home runs and 95 RBI.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

Pete Crow-Armstrong #4 of the Chicago Cubs rounds the bases after hitting a two run home run against the Chicago White Sox during the ninth inning at Rate Field on May 16, 2026 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Daniel Bartel/Getty Images)

This season, Crow-Armstrong has not had the same success. In 49 games, he has hit just .229 with five home runs and 20 RBI.

The Cubs (29-20) will take on the Milwaukee Brewers (28-18) in the final game of their three-game series on Wednesday at 7:40 p.m. ET.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Sports

Chiefs’ Rashee Rice ordered to 30 days in jail for probation violation after failing drug test

Published

on

Chiefs’ Rashee Rice ordered to 30 days in jail for probation violation after failing drug test

Kansas City Chiefs receiver Rashee Rice was taken into custody Tuesday and ordered to serve 30 days in jail after violating the terms of his probation stemming from a 2024 vehicle crash that left multiple people injured.

A spokesperson for the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office said in an email to The Times that Rice had tested positive for THC, the primary psychoactive chemical in marijuana. The fourth-year player out of Southern Methodist will remain in the Dallas County jail until June 16.

Based on that timeline, Rice will miss the Chiefs’ voluntary team workouts May 26-28 and June 1-3 and mandatory minicamp June 9-11.

“We are aware of the reports and have been in touch with the league office,” a Chiefs spokesman told the Associated Press, declining further comment. An NFL spokesperson told The Times that the league is “aware of the report” and also declined further comment.

Also on Tuesday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that Rice underwent surgery on his right knee last week to remove loose debris that was causing inflammation. Rice is expected to be ready for training camp this summer, according to Schefter.

Advertisement

The Chiefs did not immediately respond to The Times’ request for comment regarding Rice’s reported surgery.

Rice was sentenced to 30 days in jail last July after pleading guilty to third-degree felony charges of collision involving serious bodily injury and racing on a highway causing bodily injury. He was, however, granted flexibility as to when to serve his jail time and had not served it yet.

After his recent probation violation, the district attorney’s office spokesperson said, Rice was ordered to serve that jail time immediately.

On March 30, 2024, according to prosecutors, Rice was driving a Lamborghini Urus SUV at 119 mph when made “multiple aggressive maneuvers around traffic” and struck other vehicles, then fled the scene on foot without checking on anyone in the other vehicles.

He was suspended for the first six weeks of the 2025 season for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

Advertisement

In 28 games with the Chiefs, Rice has 156 receptions for 1,797 yards and 14 touchdowns. He is entering the final year of his rookie contract.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending