Connect with us

Southwest

NPR CEO Katherine Maher says viewpoint diversity is critical, defiant when grilled on liberal bias claims

Published

on

NPR CEO Katherine Maher says viewpoint diversity is critical, defiant when grilled on liberal bias claims

Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free of charge.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

Having trouble? Click here.

AUSTIN, Texas – NPR CEO Katherine Maher was largely defiant during a rare public acknowledgment of longtime editor Uri Berliner’s claims that the government-funded organization lacks “viewpoint diversity” and caters to a liberal audience.

“I stand here to defend the integrity of the newsroom and to defend the integrity of the reporting and to say that every single day our folks get up, and they want to stand there and make sure that they are serving the American public in the best possible way from a nonpartisan perspective,” Maher said Saturday at the Texas Tribune Festival.  

Advertisement

Berliner stunned the media industry earlier this year when he blew the whistle on liberal bias at the organization. Berliner, who was suspended and ultimately resigned over the criticism, penned a scathing takedown of NPR in the Free Press that criticized NPR’s coverage of Russiagate, the COVID lab leak theory, Hunter Biden’s scandalous laptop, embrace of the theory of systemic racism, in addition to saying it downplayed antisemitism following Oct. 7.

5 THINGS VETERAN NPR EDITOR EXPOSED IN STUNNING CRITICISM OF OWN EMPLOYER’S LIBERAL BIAS

NPR CEO Katherine Maher was largely defiant during rare public acknowledgment of longtime editor Uri Berliner’s claims that the public news organization lacks “viewpoint diversity” and caters to a liberal audience.  (Fox News)

Maher was asked about the situation during a lengthy on-stage Trib Fest conversation about the future of public media with former New York Times public editor Margaret Sullivan. Maher insisted early in the conversation that she is “not a journalist” and she relies on NPR editors and newsroom leaders to direct coverage. 

“My responsibility is ensuring the big picture, and their responsibility is ensuring the integrity,” she said. 

Advertisement

“We want to be down the line, we want to serve the American public well,” Maher continued. “We want to serve people from a range of perspectives and backgrounds. And they should feel as though that coverage is meaningful to them.”

Maher said her “strategic view” is that NPR needs to be “really thoughtful about our role as a nonpartisan media organization.”  

Maher said that Berliner’s criticism was received inside NPR as an “affront to the individual journalists who work incredibly hard to report the news and report the news well and report the news with integrity … in a nonpartisan way” by his now-former colleagues. 

Maher said that Berliner’s criticisms fell flat when she examined the individual stories he publicly complained about, but she recognizes that it opened the door for a larger conversation about NPR. 

NPR EDITOR REBUKES OUTLET’S OWN COVERAGE OF HUNTER BIDEN LAPTOP, COVID LAB LEAK AND RUSSIAGATE

Advertisement

Longtime editor Uri Berliner stunned the media industry earlier this year when he blew the whistle on liberal bias at NPR. (Fox News Digital/Getty Images)

“Whether you want to call that sort of selective review or cherry-picking or what have you – it was meant to drive a thesis, and that thesis certainly got legs. Whether or not the criticism itself had validity or not, [the] thesis got legs, which means, at least in part, it tapped into some sort of sentiment,” she said. 

“What I would love to disaggregate is the difference between what I think of as, sort of, an agenda-driven critique, which may be in part around broader conversations around public media receiving federal funding. And that is a long-standing conversation that happens in this country, you know, within political discourse,” Maher continued.

Maher said Berliner’s remarks underscore that NPR must ensure that it looks inwards in the face of “perceived criticism” to make sure the company is upholding its mission and serving a broad audience. She insisted that NPR faced criticism from all sides and some listeners even think the organization is too friendly to former President Trump. 

“I think it’s important for us to say, ‘If you feel as though NPR was something that was a resource for you, and you no longer feel that it’s a resource for some sort of reason, why is that the case?’ And what is it that we need to interrogate about our own practices, editorial decisions, programming decisions that that makes it feel that way? And some of the answers that we came up with were kind of worthwhile,” Maher said. 

Advertisement

Maher said that a constructive critique she has heard is that NPR is “too repetitive” on particular stories, because headlines of the day are cut in throughout various programs and could be heard a variety of times. So, if a listener hears the same story multiple times, it could seem like NPR is “putting our thumb on the scale.” 

Maher pointed out that Berliner’s bombshell came only two weeks into her tenure, and everything the longtime editor objected to predates her time running NPR. However, Maher understands that it was her mess to clean up. 

“When you step into an organization, you assume the responsibility for all that comes before it. That’s appropriate. That’s fine. It’s my responsibility to do with that criticism what we need to do in order to be able to address it,” Maher said. 

NPR EDITOR KNOCKS OUTLET’S ‘TROUBLING’ AVOIDANCE OF GROWING ANTISEMITISM FOLLOWING OCT. 7

NPR CEO Katherine Maher appeared at the Texas Tribune Festival.   (Fox News)

Advertisement

Sullivan asked Maher about a series of her social media posts from before her time at NPR that went viral following Berliner’s remarks. Maher showed support for Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden’s presidential runs while regularly sharing far-left talking points and criticizing Donald Trump on social media before landing the NPR top job. 

Maher said that once she assumed the role, she stuck to the same standards that everyone at NPR must adhere to and her only priority is to uphold the organization’s mission to serve the public. 

“Those are past positions,” she said. 

“I wasn’t a journalist previously, and I work in a journalism organization now. I think it’s fair to have some level of critique around it,” Maher added. “The question is, ‘Was it a disproportionate level of critique?’”

She believes that criticism of her past tweets had “some degree of disproportionate treatment,” because her predecessor, John Lansing, previously oversaw the Obama-era, government-supported Broadcasting Board of Governors but never received such harsh claims of being partisan. 

Advertisement

“I never worked for government. I never worked for a partisan organization, I was a private individual with personal beliefs,” she said. 

Maher said that “every single thing” in her life was combed through, and her family was doxxed and threatened along the way. She isn’t even sure if she’ll vote in November’s presidential election because her current address would become accessible once she registers, and she’s concerned people still have a bone to pick. 

NPR EDITOR’S BOMBSHELL ESSAY CAUSING ‘TURMOIL’ AT LIBERAL OUTLET: REPORT

NPR CEO and President Katherine Maher’s old tweets about looting, her support for Hillary Clinton and Biden-Harris resurfaced earlier this year. ( (Photo by Rita Franca/NurPhoto via Getty Images), Screenshot/X/KatherineMaher)

“It was really ugly,” she said. “There were security questions, I had to change the way I went to work in the morning. It was not a super fun experience.”

Advertisement

Once Maher and Sullivan wrapped up their one-on-one interview, Fox News Digital asked the NPR honcho to address Berliner’s claim that voter registration records in 2021 showed an astonishing disparity between Democrats and Republicans in the NPR newsroom. Berliner said he found 87 registered Democrats and zero Republicans. 

Maher said the numbers need to have context, as roughly 600 people work in the newsroom and the stats provided by Berliner represent a “small fraction” of individuals who self-reported their political affiliation.  She also said Washington, D.C., does not allow hiring or screening candidates based on political affiliation, so hiring managers would “never” ask if a potential staffer was a Democrat or Republican. 

“I do think it’s incredibly important for us to have people of diverse viewpoints in the newsroom, and the totality of the lived experience. It’s one of the things that we also seek to do by expanding the newsroom just outside of D.C.,” she said. 

Maher said NPR has been investing in “collaborative newsrooms” across the country to give a voice to staffers from places like the Appalachia region, the Midwest, the Rocky Mountains, Texas and other rural areas. 

Advertisement

“That’s a great way for us to start getting out of D.C. and bringing in people who have a variety of different lived experiences and backgrounds,” she said. 

“I think it’s important for us to be hiring reporters who are reporting based on their beats and experience, as opposed to looking and screening by political ideology,” Maher added. “Then ensuring that the work that they do is engaging with diverse sourcing and making sure that we’re representing all the stories that we cover in a way that it feels very balanced.”

Fox News Digital’s Joseph A. Wulfsohn and Hannah Lambert contributed to this report. 

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Los Angeles, Ca

Long Beach to hold new pride festival after previous one canceled

Published

on

Long Beach to hold new pride festival after previous one canceled

Long Beach will hold a pride festival this weekend after the one they originally had scheduled was canceled.

Long Beach city officials said the celebration was nixed after the nonprofit that organizes it, Long Beach Pride, failed to submit the required information for an event permit. 

It was supposed to start on Friday and last through Sunday.

“Despite continued collaboration and multiple deadline notices, the City did not receive the required documentation needed to complete safety reviews, inspect critical event infrastructure, such as the stage, electrical systems and tent, and emergency exiting plans to ensure compliance with public safety standards,” the city of Long Beach said in a statement. “With event programming scheduled to begin on May 15 at 5 p.m. with Teen Pride and essential information still outstanding, there is no longer sufficient time to safely permit the festival this year.” 

Advertisement

Officials noted that they were working to see if a “shortened event” could be held this weekend, and indeed, an agreement was reached to stage a one-day gathering on Sunday. 

Billed as “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” and emceed by comedian and drag queen Jewels, it will still bring the city’s LGBTQ community together after Sunday morning’s Long Beach Pride Parade, which was not canceled.

“Long Beach Pride weekend is a culmination of celebrations put on by our community, including our many vibrant restaurants, bars and businesses, and that will never change,” Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson said in a press release issued late Saturday night. “Along with the Pride Parade, we are proud to join the party with this new event that reaffirms what this City has always stood for: that every person belongs here.”

“The festival may have been canceled, but Long Beach drag artists don’t cancel joy,” added Jewels Long Beach.

The one-day “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” festival will take place at Bixby Park from noon to 7 p.m. Sunday. A free event, it will include music by several performers and a drag show. 

Advertisement

More information can be found here.  

Continue Reading

Los Angeles, Ca

L.A. Jewish institution among targets of foiled terrorist attack, U.S. officials say

Published

on

L.A. Jewish institution among targets of foiled terrorist attack, U.S. officials say

A Jewish institution in Los Angeles was among the locations targeted in a recently foiled terrorism plot, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Jay Clayton announced this week.

The thwarted terrorist attacks were the result of the recent arrest of Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, an Iraqi national and senior member of Kata’ib Hizballah, U.S. officials said.

“Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, a commander for the terrorist organization, Kata’ib Hizballah, faces serious charges for his role in numerous attacks against U.S. interests across the globe, including his efforts to kill on U.S. soil,” Clayton said. “As alleged, for years, Al-Saadi committed himself to furthering the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the IRGC, two terrorist organizations dedicated to harming the United States and its allies.”

Al-Saadi recently attempted to carry out attacks in the U.S., officials said, including attacks at Jewish cultural places of interest in New York, Los Angeles and Scottsdale, Ariz.

“Al-Saadi attempted to disrupt American society through intimidation and violence,” a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office reads. “… Those who engage in or support terrorism against Americans and on U.S. soil should take note:  the whole of the federal government is committed to dismantling terrorist organizations and bringing their members to justice.”

Advertisement

In a three-month period, Al-Saadi allegedly directed 18 terrorist attacks throughout Europe, including bombings, arson, and assaults targeting American citizens and points of interest. Prior to his arrest, national security officials say he was planning similar attacks on U.S. soil. Assistant Attorney General for National Security John A. Eisenberg said that  Al-Saadi “presented a serious threat to our national security.”

The European attacks included the bombing of the Bank of New York Mellon, an American bank, in Amsterdam on March 15. On April 29, two Jewish men, one of whom was a dual U.S.-British citizen, were stabbed and seriously injured in London.

In 2020, Al-Saadi took to social media, calling for others to attack and kill Americans in retribution for the deaths of Iranian military officer Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi military commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, U.S. officials said. In more recent months, Al-Saadi allegedly used social media to encourage the killing of Americans and Jews to further the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

“In or about February 2026, for example, AL-SAADI posted on one of his social media accounts a message in Arabic, which read in part, ‘Do not abandon the blood of your Imam of the time, oh Shiites of Iraq. Kill everyone who supports America and Israel. Do not leave any of them remaining. Civil and military targets, as well as voices of discord, kill them everywhere.’” U.S. officials said.

NYPD Commissioner Jessica S. Tisch confirmed that one of the U.S. targets was a Manhattan synagogue. On April 3, Al-Saadi allegedly spoke to an undercover law enforcement officer whom Al-Saadi believed could carry out attacks in the U.S. That same day, Al-Saadi allegedly texted the undercover officers photographs and maps showing the exact location of a prominent Jewish synagogue in New York City. 

Advertisement

Officials have not said what specific locations in L.A. and Arizona were targeted by the terrorist group.

Al-Saadi now faces numerous charges for these crimes in U.S. court. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.

The case is under investigation by the FBI’s New York Joint Terrorism Task Force, which is comprised of investigators and analysts from the FBI, the NYPD, the FBI Washington Field Office, Counterterrorism Division, and more than 50 other federal, state, and local agencies. Investigators also received help from the Department of Justice’s National Security Division, Counterterrorism Section, the Office of International Affairs of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Los Angeles, Ca

L.A. police shoot knife-wielding man during response to assault call 

Published

on

L.A. police shoot knife-wielding man during response to assault call 

A man armed with a knife was shot by L.A. police officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call overnight, authorities said. 

According to the Los Angeles Police Department, officers with the Hollenbeck Division responded to an apartment complex in the 3000 block of Glenn Avenue in Boyle Heights at 1:45 a.m. Saturday after callers reported a male suspect was armed with a knife and had just assaulted someone in the complex. 

Arriving officers found the suspect in front of the residence, but he did not comply with officers’ commands to drop the weapon. He then advanced toward the officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred, LAPD confirmed.

A man armed with a knife was shot by L.A. police officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call overnight, authorities said. Video obtained by KTLA shows the man being loaded into an ambulance. May 2026. (ANG)

“The suspect was struck by gunfire and remained non-compliant,” the LAPD Public Information Officer said on X early Saturday morning. “Officers deployed a 40mm foam round and ultimately took the suspect into custody.”

Video obtained by KTLA shows the man being loaded into an ambulance and taken to a hospital; officials said he was transported in stable condition, adding that his knife was recovered at the scene and booked as evidence. 

Advertisement

No officers or community members were injured during the incident. The man’s name was not released. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending