Los Angeles, Ca
Southern California wildfires are being contained, but there is still lots of work to be done
The three wildfires that have burned hundreds of thousands of acres this month in Southern California are starting to get under control, but the firefight is far from over.
As of Sunday morning, the Airport, Bridge and Line fires all remained under 40% containment.
Line Fire
The most contained of the three is the Line Fire, which started on Sept. 5 near Base Line Road in Highland.
In an update issued at 6:42 a.m. Sunday, Cal Fire stated that the fire was active as Saturday turned to Sunday due to a dry airmass at higher elevations.
“The fire smoldered and crept on the ground in the lower elevations under the marine layer,” Cal Fire said in their most recent situation summary. “Cool conditions prevail across the fire area, and late Sunday and into Monday, light rain is possible. Firefighters are strengthening control lines and mopping up hot spots.”
The Line Fire stands at 38,421 acres with 36% containment as of Sunday morning. Preliminary damage assessments indicate that only three structures have been damaged with one destroyed; three civilian and firefighter injuries have been reported due to the Line Fire, officials confirmed.
Evacuation orders remain in place for some areas. More information can be found on Cal Fire’s Line Fire incident page.
Airport Fire
The second most contained of the three fires is the Airport Fire in Orange and Riverside counties, which has been burning since Sept 9.
On Saturday evening, the Orange County Fire Authority stated that the fire remained at 23,519 acres with 19% containment.
Despite the progress, crews still observed “active fire behavior” near Modjeska Peak and Sugar Loaf throughout the day.
“Substantial progress was made toward Bell Canyon through the combined efforts of heavy equipment, hand tools and aerial support,” OCFA said in a post to Facebook. “Ongoing efforts are focused on preventing further property loss and establishing a containment line to confine the fire within its current boundaries.”
According to OCFA, “favorable” weather conditions persisted Saturday and light precipitation in the forecast should aid in the firefight. They did note, however, that despite the break in the heat, the dry vegetation still exhibited active fire behavior, which indicates the continued risk of increased fire activity.
As of the latest assessment, 24 structures had been damaged by the Airport Fire, with a further 109 destroyed.
A total of 14 injuries to civilians and firefighters have been reported.
More information on the Airport Fire, including maps of areas still under evacuation orders, can be found here.
Bridge Fire
The Bridge Fire, burning in both Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties, is the least contained of the three active SoCal wildfires as of Sunday morning.
Burning since Sept. 8, the Bridge Fire initially remained small before exploding late last week, eventually spanning over 51,000 acres at its peak on Thursday.
Cooler weather over the weekend aided fire crews, but in their latest status update, Cal Fire said that several parts of the blaze remain active.
“The northwest corner of the fire was most active [Saturday] … although interior ‘islands’ of unburned vegetation remain in the northern part of the fire, firefighters also plan to go direct and continue holding and securing their containment lines to protect the communities of Wrightwood, Pinon Hills and beyond,” officials stated. “To the northeast, the fire has reaches drainages on the west side of the north fork of Lytle Creek; however, firefighters are prioritizing dozer lines and direct attack wherever possible to stop the fire’s spread.”
“The east side of the fire is less active, [but it] still presents risks to residents in the Mount Baldy area so evacuation orders remain in effect,” Cal Fire added. “On the south side, firefighters are still holding their containment line at Sunset Peak while they continue contingency line construction below it…this area of the fire is where they were able to increase containment percentage by two percent.”
Six structures have been damaged and 19 have been destroyed as of the latest damage assessment, although Cal Fire noted that upwards of 11,500 structures remain threatened by the fire.
Only two injuries have been reported as a result of the Bridge Fire. Click here for the latest updates from Cal Fire, including a map detailing evacuation order zones.
As for the causes of the three fires, the Line Fire was allegedly set intentionally by a 34-year-old man from Norco and the Airport Fire started due to a spark from heavy equipment being operated by Orange County Public Works employees, although some have accused the workers of negligence or even “accidental arson.”
The cause of the Bridge Fire remains under investigation.
According to Cal Fire, there have been 6,126 wildfires in California this year which have scorched over 992,000 acres, destroyed 1,229 structures and led to one civilian death.
Los Angeles, Ca
Long Beach to hold new pride festival after previous one canceled
Long Beach will hold a pride festival this weekend after the one they originally had scheduled was canceled.
Long Beach city officials said the celebration was nixed after the nonprofit that organizes it, Long Beach Pride, failed to submit the required information for an event permit.
It was supposed to start on Friday and last through Sunday.
“Despite continued collaboration and multiple deadline notices, the City did not receive the required documentation needed to complete safety reviews, inspect critical event infrastructure, such as the stage, electrical systems and tent, and emergency exiting plans to ensure compliance with public safety standards,” the city of Long Beach said in a statement. “With event programming scheduled to begin on May 15 at 5 p.m. with Teen Pride and essential information still outstanding, there is no longer sufficient time to safely permit the festival this year.”
Officials noted that they were working to see if a “shortened event” could be held this weekend, and indeed, an agreement was reached to stage a one-day gathering on Sunday.
Billed as “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” and emceed by comedian and drag queen Jewels, it will still bring the city’s LGBTQ community together after Sunday morning’s Long Beach Pride Parade, which was not canceled.
“Long Beach Pride weekend is a culmination of celebrations put on by our community, including our many vibrant restaurants, bars and businesses, and that will never change,” Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson said in a press release issued late Saturday night. “Along with the Pride Parade, we are proud to join the party with this new event that reaffirms what this City has always stood for: that every person belongs here.”
“The festival may have been canceled, but Long Beach drag artists don’t cancel joy,” added Jewels Long Beach.
The one-day “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” festival will take place at Bixby Park from noon to 7 p.m. Sunday. A free event, it will include music by several performers and a drag show.
More information can be found here.
Los Angeles, Ca
L.A. Jewish institution among targets of foiled terrorist attack, U.S. officials say
A Jewish institution in Los Angeles was among the locations targeted in a recently foiled terrorism plot, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Jay Clayton announced this week.
The thwarted terrorist attacks were the result of the recent arrest of Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, an Iraqi national and senior member of Kata’ib Hizballah, U.S. officials said.
“Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, a commander for the terrorist organization, Kata’ib Hizballah, faces serious charges for his role in numerous attacks against U.S. interests across the globe, including his efforts to kill on U.S. soil,” Clayton said. “As alleged, for years, Al-Saadi committed himself to furthering the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the IRGC, two terrorist organizations dedicated to harming the United States and its allies.”
Al-Saadi recently attempted to carry out attacks in the U.S., officials said, including attacks at Jewish cultural places of interest in New York, Los Angeles and Scottsdale, Ariz.
“Al-Saadi attempted to disrupt American society through intimidation and violence,” a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office reads. “… Those who engage in or support terrorism against Americans and on U.S. soil should take note: the whole of the federal government is committed to dismantling terrorist organizations and bringing their members to justice.”
In a three-month period, Al-Saadi allegedly directed 18 terrorist attacks throughout Europe, including bombings, arson, and assaults targeting American citizens and points of interest. Prior to his arrest, national security officials say he was planning similar attacks on U.S. soil. Assistant Attorney General for National Security John A. Eisenberg said that Al-Saadi “presented a serious threat to our national security.”
The European attacks included the bombing of the Bank of New York Mellon, an American bank, in Amsterdam on March 15. On April 29, two Jewish men, one of whom was a dual U.S.-British citizen, were stabbed and seriously injured in London.
In 2020, Al-Saadi took to social media, calling for others to attack and kill Americans in retribution for the deaths of Iranian military officer Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi military commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, U.S. officials said. In more recent months, Al-Saadi allegedly used social media to encourage the killing of Americans and Jews to further the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
“In or about February 2026, for example, AL-SAADI posted on one of his social media accounts a message in Arabic, which read in part, ‘Do not abandon the blood of your Imam of the time, oh Shiites of Iraq. Kill everyone who supports America and Israel. Do not leave any of them remaining. Civil and military targets, as well as voices of discord, kill them everywhere.’” U.S. officials said.
NYPD Commissioner Jessica S. Tisch confirmed that one of the U.S. targets was a Manhattan synagogue. On April 3, Al-Saadi allegedly spoke to an undercover law enforcement officer whom Al-Saadi believed could carry out attacks in the U.S. That same day, Al-Saadi allegedly texted the undercover officers photographs and maps showing the exact location of a prominent Jewish synagogue in New York City.
Officials have not said what specific locations in L.A. and Arizona were targeted by the terrorist group.
Al-Saadi now faces numerous charges for these crimes in U.S. court. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.
The case is under investigation by the FBI’s New York Joint Terrorism Task Force, which is comprised of investigators and analysts from the FBI, the NYPD, the FBI Washington Field Office, Counterterrorism Division, and more than 50 other federal, state, and local agencies. Investigators also received help from the Department of Justice’s National Security Division, Counterterrorism Section, the Office of International Affairs of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Los Angeles, Ca
L.A. police shoot knife-wielding man during response to assault call
A man armed with a knife was shot by L.A. police officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call overnight, authorities said.
According to the Los Angeles Police Department, officers with the Hollenbeck Division responded to an apartment complex in the 3000 block of Glenn Avenue in Boyle Heights at 1:45 a.m. Saturday after callers reported a male suspect was armed with a knife and had just assaulted someone in the complex.
Arriving officers found the suspect in front of the residence, but he did not comply with officers’ commands to drop the weapon. He then advanced toward the officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred, LAPD confirmed.
“The suspect was struck by gunfire and remained non-compliant,” the LAPD Public Information Officer said on X early Saturday morning. “Officers deployed a 40mm foam round and ultimately took the suspect into custody.”
Video obtained by KTLA shows the man being loaded into an ambulance and taken to a hospital; officials said he was transported in stable condition, adding that his knife was recovered at the scene and booked as evidence.
No officers or community members were injured during the incident. The man’s name was not released.
-
Milwaukee, WI44 seconds agoWisconsin’s Most Wanted: Erin Conley sought for child sex assault
-
Atlanta, GA7 minutes agoPolice investigating fatal shooting in Stone Mountain
-
Minneapolis, MN13 minutes agoWomen were arguing over $50 debt before fatal Minneapolis apartment shooting, charges say
-
Indianapolis, IN19 minutes agoAlex Palou Claims Pole For 110th Indianapolis 500
-
Pittsburg, PA25 minutes agoMason Rudolph’s Fate With Steelers Could Now Be Sealed
-
Augusta, GA31 minutes agoMen’s Golf Regional Preview: Commodores Head to Athens with NCAA Championship Hopes
-
Washington, D.C37 minutes agoStorm Team4 Forecast: Near-record heat expected to start off week
-
Cleveland, OH43 minutes agoCleveland Asian Festival shuts down over capacity issues, police say