Connect with us

Southwest

Border czar Kamala Harris visits Houston weeks after Jocelyn Nungaray allegedly murdered by illegal immigrants

Published

on

Border czar Kamala Harris visits Houston weeks after Jocelyn Nungaray allegedly murdered by illegal immigrants

Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free of charge.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

Having trouble? Click here.

“Border czar” Vice President Kamala Harris traveled to Houston, Texas, choosing to attend a dinner for a convention for teachers rather than visit the grieving parents of 12-year-old Jocelyn Nungaray, who was raped and murdered, allegedly by two migrants.

Nungaray was found strangled to death June 17. Authorities identified the suspects as two Venezuelan nationals — Johan Jose Martinez-Rangel, 21, and Franklin Jose Peña Ramos, 26.

Advertisement

Authorities previously confirmed the pair illegally entered the U.S. earlier this year.

Harris’ visit to Houston came as the vice president began a whirlwind campaign tour after President Biden announced he would not seek re-election.

DEM WHO CRITICIZED VP HARRIS’ HANDLING OF SOUTHERN BORDER ENDORSES HER FOR PRESIDENT

Vice President Kamala Harris addresses the members of the American Federation of Teachers at George R. Brown Convention Center Thursday, July 25, 2024, in Houston. (Conley/Houston Chronicle via Getty Images)

Jocelyn Nungaray, 12, was found strangled to death in a Houston creek. (Fox Houston courtesy of the Nungaray family)

Advertisement

Harris began her trip by greeting local leaders to be briefed on the region’s recovery efforts from Hurricane Beryl and then attended the American Federation of Teachers’ (AFT) annual convention.

“And I thank you also for your support over the years and for being the first union to endorse me this week,” Harris said.

The American Federation of Teachers is the first labor union to endorse Harris for president since she announced her campaign.  (Montinique Monroe/Getty Images)

TRUMP EYES MULTIPLE BORDER VISITS AS HE DRAWS CONTRAST WITH ‘RADICAL LEFT’ HARRIS

Harris’ address highlighted her campaign hot-button topics, which included key parts of the Democratic Party platform, such as eliminating voter ID to expand mail-in voting, banning assault rifles, protecting LGBTQ+ rights and restoring national access to abortion.

Advertisement

“In this moment across our nation, we witness a full-on attack on hard-won, hard-fought freedoms,” said Harris. 

“In this moment, we are in a fight for our most fundamental freedoms. And to this room of leaders, I say bring it on. Bring it on. Bring it on.”

Jocelyn Nungaray’s mother, Alexis Nungaray, speaks after Pena Ramos’ court appearance June 24, 2024. (KRIV)

Harris’ visit notably did not include a visit to Nungaray’s grieving parents who, since her death, have pleaded for a “safer country” and called for heightened border security to prevent other families from suffering the same fate.

“We have to stop burying our kids,” Jocelyn’s mother, Alexis Nungaray, said tearfully on “Hannity.” “This isn’t right. We have to have more reinforcement when it comes to letting people in. This is not OK.”

Advertisement

Jocelyn’s grandfather, Kelvin Alvarenga, turned his attention directly to lawmakers.

“Think about all these little angels that shouldn’t have been taken away.”

— Kelvin Alvarenga, grandfather of Jocelyn Nungaray

“I would like the people that can make changes to our laws to just sit back and reflect,” Alvarenga said. “I don’t know if we can transmit the pain that we’re having through cameras, but please sit back and reflect and think of all these little angels that shouldn’t have been taken away, and they have for the reason that we’re not doing what we need to, screening these people.”

Vice President Kamala Harris speaks during a campaign event at Westover High School in Fayetteville, N.C., July 18, 2024.  (Allison Joyce/AFP via Getty Images)

“Screening these people” fell under Harris’ charge as “border czar” for the Biden administration.

Advertisement

“Border czar” is an informal title widely granted to Harris in 2021 when Biden appointed her to handle the “root causes” of illegal immigration.

In July 2021, she introduced a five-point general strategy to combat those “root causes” of illegal immigration. The plan did not include specific policies, but instead called for “diplomacy, foreign assistance, public diplomacy and sanctions” to “establish a fair, orderly and humane immigration system.”

TRUMP SLAMS BIDEN’S ‘TERRIBLE’ OVAL OFFICE ADDRESS ON ABRUPT EXIT FROM 2024 RACE: ‘IT WAS A COUP’

The document emphasized the “push” factors of migration, including natural disasters in Central America, poverty, hunger, and gang violence, each of which contributes to people leaving their homes in search of a better life in America. 

“In Central America, the root causes of migration run deep — and migration from the region has a direct impact on the United States,” Harris said at the time. “For that reason, our nation must consistently engage with the region to address the hardships that cause people to leave Central America and come to our border.”

Advertisement

WATCH:

The Biden administration has pushed back against categorizing Harris as the “border czar,” saying the vice president was never formally given that title.

BLUE CITY COPS SAY KAMALA HARRIS ‘HELPED’ KILLERS AND RAPISTS, WARN OF ‘DISASTER’ IF SHE BECOMES PRESIDENT

“[Border apprehensions] are down by 55%. Not because of Republicans and what they did. It’s because of what this president and this vice president did,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told Fox News’ Peter Doocy when pressed on Harris’ title. 

“We are going to debunk the false characterization of the vice president. She was not a border czar. And it’s not just us. Independent fact-checkers have said the same thing — that that did not exist, and that is not true.”

Advertisement

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott speaks at the Republican National Convention at the Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee July 17, 2024.  (Reuters/Callaghan O’hare)

Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott torched Harris’ visit to Houston, saying she “couldn’t trouble herself” to visit the southern border.

“Kamala Harris flew to Houston for a political rally, but couldn’t trouble herself to go a few hundred miles more & see the damage she caused to our border,” Abbott wrote in a post on X.

“She refused to mention Jocelyn Nungaray who was recently killed by illegal immigrants in Houston.”

Joselyn Jhoana Toaquiza had just turned 21 years old when she was killed. (GoFundMe)

Advertisement

Nungaray is among victims killed in migrant-related crime during the Biden administration.

HARRIS’ BACKING OF BAIL FUND DURING GEORGE FLOYD PROTESTS DAMPENS TRUMP ‘PROSECUTOR’ CAMPAIGN PITCH

In July, Jhon Moises Chacaguasay-Ilbis, a 21-year-old illegal immigrant from Ecuador, allegedly murdered Joselyn Jhoana Toaquiza at an Airbnb property in Syracuse, New York. 

The gruesome crime was reportedly carried out on the victim’s 21st birthday.

Laken Riley poses for a photo posted to Facebook. Riley, a nursing student at the University of Georgia, was found dead near a lake on campus Feb. 22, 2024. (Allyson Phillips/Facebook)

Advertisement

In February, 22-year-old Laken Riley was murdered when taking a run along dirt trails on the University of Georgia campus in Athens.  

Jose Antonio Ibarra, a 26-year-old illegal migrant from Venezuela, is facing 10 counts following the death of Riley. The 26-year-old recently pleaded not guilty in the death of a college student.

Victor Martinez Hernandez, 23, was arrested in the murder of Rachel Morin.

In August 2023, Maryland mother Rachel Morin was allegedly sexually assaulted and murdered by Victor Antonio Martinez Hernandez, a 23-year-old illegal El Salvadorian migrant.

TAKE IT FROM ME, REPUBLICANS: KAMALA HARRIS IS A STRONG CANDIDATE: DONT UNDERESTIMATE HER

Advertisement

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement confirmed to Fox News Digital that Hernandez had attempted to enter the country illegally four times after being accused of a similar murder in his native El Salvador.

Hundreds of migrants attempt to cross the Mexico-U.S. border in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, March 29, 2024. (David Peinado/Anadolu via Getty Images)

The ongoing border crisis is a top issue for voters ahead of the November election. The Biden administration has pushed back against Republican criticism, saying there has been a 50% drop in illegal immigrant crossings since Biden announced an executive order in June limiting crossings into the U.S.

Fox News Digital has reached out to the Harris campaign and the White House for comment.

Advertisement

Fox News Digital’s Adam Shaw, Anders Hagstrom and Chris Pandolfo contributed to this report. 

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Los Angeles, Ca

Long Beach to hold new pride festival after previous one canceled

Published

on

Long Beach to hold new pride festival after previous one canceled

Long Beach will hold a pride festival this weekend after the one they originally had scheduled was canceled.

Long Beach city officials said the celebration was nixed after the nonprofit that organizes it, Long Beach Pride, failed to submit the required information for an event permit. 

It was supposed to start on Friday and last through Sunday.

“Despite continued collaboration and multiple deadline notices, the City did not receive the required documentation needed to complete safety reviews, inspect critical event infrastructure, such as the stage, electrical systems and tent, and emergency exiting plans to ensure compliance with public safety standards,” the city of Long Beach said in a statement. “With event programming scheduled to begin on May 15 at 5 p.m. with Teen Pride and essential information still outstanding, there is no longer sufficient time to safely permit the festival this year.” 

Advertisement

Officials noted that they were working to see if a “shortened event” could be held this weekend, and indeed, an agreement was reached to stage a one-day gathering on Sunday. 

Billed as “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” and emceed by comedian and drag queen Jewels, it will still bring the city’s LGBTQ community together after Sunday morning’s Long Beach Pride Parade, which was not canceled.

“Long Beach Pride weekend is a culmination of celebrations put on by our community, including our many vibrant restaurants, bars and businesses, and that will never change,” Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson said in a press release issued late Saturday night. “Along with the Pride Parade, we are proud to join the party with this new event that reaffirms what this City has always stood for: that every person belongs here.”

“The festival may have been canceled, but Long Beach drag artists don’t cancel joy,” added Jewels Long Beach.

The one-day “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” festival will take place at Bixby Park from noon to 7 p.m. Sunday. A free event, it will include music by several performers and a drag show. 

Advertisement

More information can be found here.  

Continue Reading

Los Angeles, Ca

L.A. Jewish institution among targets of foiled terrorist attack, U.S. officials say

Published

on

L.A. Jewish institution among targets of foiled terrorist attack, U.S. officials say

A Jewish institution in Los Angeles was among the locations targeted in a recently foiled terrorism plot, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Jay Clayton announced this week.

The thwarted terrorist attacks were the result of the recent arrest of Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, an Iraqi national and senior member of Kata’ib Hizballah, U.S. officials said.

“Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, a commander for the terrorist organization, Kata’ib Hizballah, faces serious charges for his role in numerous attacks against U.S. interests across the globe, including his efforts to kill on U.S. soil,” Clayton said. “As alleged, for years, Al-Saadi committed himself to furthering the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the IRGC, two terrorist organizations dedicated to harming the United States and its allies.”

Al-Saadi recently attempted to carry out attacks in the U.S., officials said, including attacks at Jewish cultural places of interest in New York, Los Angeles and Scottsdale, Ariz.

“Al-Saadi attempted to disrupt American society through intimidation and violence,” a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office reads. “… Those who engage in or support terrorism against Americans and on U.S. soil should take note:  the whole of the federal government is committed to dismantling terrorist organizations and bringing their members to justice.”

Advertisement

In a three-month period, Al-Saadi allegedly directed 18 terrorist attacks throughout Europe, including bombings, arson, and assaults targeting American citizens and points of interest. Prior to his arrest, national security officials say he was planning similar attacks on U.S. soil. Assistant Attorney General for National Security John A. Eisenberg said that  Al-Saadi “presented a serious threat to our national security.”

The European attacks included the bombing of the Bank of New York Mellon, an American bank, in Amsterdam on March 15. On April 29, two Jewish men, one of whom was a dual U.S.-British citizen, were stabbed and seriously injured in London.

In 2020, Al-Saadi took to social media, calling for others to attack and kill Americans in retribution for the deaths of Iranian military officer Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi military commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, U.S. officials said. In more recent months, Al-Saadi allegedly used social media to encourage the killing of Americans and Jews to further the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

“In or about February 2026, for example, AL-SAADI posted on one of his social media accounts a message in Arabic, which read in part, ‘Do not abandon the blood of your Imam of the time, oh Shiites of Iraq. Kill everyone who supports America and Israel. Do not leave any of them remaining. Civil and military targets, as well as voices of discord, kill them everywhere.’” U.S. officials said.

NYPD Commissioner Jessica S. Tisch confirmed that one of the U.S. targets was a Manhattan synagogue. On April 3, Al-Saadi allegedly spoke to an undercover law enforcement officer whom Al-Saadi believed could carry out attacks in the U.S. That same day, Al-Saadi allegedly texted the undercover officers photographs and maps showing the exact location of a prominent Jewish synagogue in New York City. 

Advertisement

Officials have not said what specific locations in L.A. and Arizona were targeted by the terrorist group.

Al-Saadi now faces numerous charges for these crimes in U.S. court. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.

The case is under investigation by the FBI’s New York Joint Terrorism Task Force, which is comprised of investigators and analysts from the FBI, the NYPD, the FBI Washington Field Office, Counterterrorism Division, and more than 50 other federal, state, and local agencies. Investigators also received help from the Department of Justice’s National Security Division, Counterterrorism Section, the Office of International Affairs of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Los Angeles, Ca

L.A. police shoot knife-wielding man during response to assault call 

Published

on

L.A. police shoot knife-wielding man during response to assault call 

A man armed with a knife was shot by L.A. police officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call overnight, authorities said. 

According to the Los Angeles Police Department, officers with the Hollenbeck Division responded to an apartment complex in the 3000 block of Glenn Avenue in Boyle Heights at 1:45 a.m. Saturday after callers reported a male suspect was armed with a knife and had just assaulted someone in the complex. 

Arriving officers found the suspect in front of the residence, but he did not comply with officers’ commands to drop the weapon. He then advanced toward the officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred, LAPD confirmed.

A man armed with a knife was shot by L.A. police officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call overnight, authorities said. Video obtained by KTLA shows the man being loaded into an ambulance. May 2026. (ANG)

“The suspect was struck by gunfire and remained non-compliant,” the LAPD Public Information Officer said on X early Saturday morning. “Officers deployed a 40mm foam round and ultimately took the suspect into custody.”

Video obtained by KTLA shows the man being loaded into an ambulance and taken to a hospital; officials said he was transported in stable condition, adding that his knife was recovered at the scene and booked as evidence. 

Advertisement

No officers or community members were injured during the incident. The man’s name was not released. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending