South-Carolina
South Carolinians encouraged to ‘give from the heart, but give smart’ this holiday season
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) – The season of giving is now upon us, and many South Carolinians will be opening their wallets and checkbooks over the next month to support causes they care about.
Each year, Americans collectively donate hundreds of billions of dollars to charity, with much of that giving during the holiday season, according to the National Philanthropic Trust.
But South Carolina Secretary of State Mark Hammond wants donors to be wary of charities that might take advantage of that kindness.
“There’s a lot of organizations out there that sometimes give less than 10% toward their charitable purpose, and we know that our charitable donors want the best bang for their buck, and they want to make sure that their donations are actually going to those missions and to serve those purposes,” Hammond said.
Hammond recommends anyone in the giving spirit do their research before they open their wallets.
People can look up organizations through the Secretary of State’s public database to find out how much of their expenses were allocated to program services in their most recent year’s filings. They can also call the Charities Division at 1-888-CHARITI or email the division to learn more about an organization before they give.
This information is also available through the free “Give Smart SC” app.
“It will tell you how much they’ve raised, how much goes to their charitable programs. It will give you all the information that you need to make a wise giving choice,” Hammond said.
If you have concerns about a charitable organization, you can file an online, confidential complaint with the Secretary of State’s Office.
And the secretary of state has one final piece of advice for South Carolinians in the giving spirit.
“Give from the heart, but please give smart,” Hammond said.
Each year, the Secretary of State’s Office recognizes 10 charities as “angels” that follow state law and spend at least 80% of their revenue on charitable work.
The following organizations were honored this year:
- AccessHealth Horry, Inc., Conway, SC – 96.1% of expenditures went toward program services last year
- Bluffton Community Soup Kitchen, Bluffton, SC – 82.6%
- Ezekiel Ministries, Inc., Columbia, SC – 85.4%
- Family Promise of York County, Inc., Rock Hill, SC – 88.4%
- Greater Florence Habitat for Humanity, Inc., Florence, SC – 85.0%
- Rabbit Sanctuary, Inc., Simpsonville, SC – 93.6%
- Ride To Work Ministry Nonprofit, Inc., Seneca, SC – 91.4%
- Sleep in Heavenly Peace, Inc., Pocatello, ID – 95.1%
- The Barrier Islands Free Medical Clinic, Inc., Johns Island, SC – 82.9%
- United Way of Pickens County, Easley, SC – 85.7%
Feel more informed, prepared, and connected with WIS. For more free content like this, subscribe to our email newsletter, and download our apps. Have feedback that can help us improve? Click here.
Copyright 2025 WIS. All rights reserved.
South-Carolina
Commentary: Echoes of yesterday in today’s SC redistricting debate
On Friday, May 8, I stood on the Old Tomlinson High School athletic field in Kingstree, a place etched into both my personal memory and American history. Sixty years ago, I sat on my grandfather’s shoulders at this very site during Mother’s Day weekend and listened to the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. deliver a speech that still echoes today: March on Ballot Boxes.
On that historic day in May 1966, more than 5,000 people gathered in Williamsburg County to hear Dr. King call African Americans — and all citizens of conscience — to register and vote. Among those present was a young James E. Clyburn, who would go on to represent South Carolina’s 6th Congressional District.
King’s message came at a pivotal time. On March 7, 1965, peaceful protesters were brutally attacked on the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama, during what became known as Bloody Sunday. That moment led to the passage of the Voting Rights Act, signed into law on Aug. 6, 1965, to protect voting rights.
As I returned to the field in 2026, I was struck by the contrast between past progress and present reality.
On the anniversary of Dr. King’s speech, the South Carolina General Assembly advanced H.5683, which seeks to redraw congressional districts, particularly the 6th Congressional District. This district was drawn as an African American-majority district in 1993. Critics argue the bill would weaken minority voting power.
Currently, this bill is moving through the legislative process, and despite its setback in the Senate, the debate is far from over.
The debate in South Carolina is shaped by the broader legal context created by U.S. Supreme Court decisions. In 2013, Shelby County v. Holder removed federal oversight of voting-law changes. In 2021, Brnovich v. Democratic National Committee made it harder to challenge voting restrictions. Together, these rulings weakened the Voting Rights Act. The court’s fresh ruling in Louisiana v. Callais fed the current redistricting push.
South-Carolina
South Carolina’s Season Ends in Game 5 of South Division Finals
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. – The South Carolina Stingrays’ season came to an end in Game 5 of the South Division Finals as they fell to the Florida Everblades, 3-1, on Sunday night at the North Charleston Coliseum in front of 3,666 fans.
Neither side could figure out the goaltenders in the first period. Seth Eisele, making his second straight start for South Carolina, and Cam Johnson for Florida, kept both offenses quiet in the first.
In the second period, the Everblades started the frame on a 5-on-3 power play, but could not capitalize with Eisele denying multiple chances.
The Stingrays spent a majority of the period in their own end with Florida pressuring, but Eisele continued to stand tall in net. The Everblades had 18 shots in the second period alone as the Lake Elmo, MN native turned aside every chance, keeping the game scoreless going to the third.
Florida eventually broke through in the third. Isaac Nurse punched in a loose puck in front to give the Everblades a 1-0 lead 7:11 into the frame. Kyle Betts then doubled the visitors’ advantage less than two minutes later on a rebound.
Trailing by two in the final minutes, the Stingrays pulled Eisele for the extra attacker and converted. Jalen Luypen scored with 2:38 remaining in regulation, cutting the deficit in half, 2-1.
The Stingrays again pulled Eisele for the extra attacker, but Carson Gicewicz scored an empty-net goal with 1:09 left to ice the 3-1 win for the Everblades and seal the series, beating South Carolina in five games, 4-1.
Copyright 2026 WCSC. All rights reserved.
South-Carolina
Coroner releases identity of fifth person killed in South Carolina car crash
SPARTANBURG COUNTY, SC. (WLOS) — The Spartanburg County Coroner’s Office has identified the fifth victim in a car crash that killed five people, including an off-duty Greenville Police Department sergeant.
Arturo Lean Munoz, 64, of Fountain Inn, South Carolina, has been identified as the fifth victim in the crash.
5 KILLED IN SOUTH CAROLINA CAR CRASH, INCLUDING A POLICE SERGEANT
As previously reported, the collision that occurred in the morning hours of Friday, May 15, on Highway 101 involving two cars, a Ford SUV and a Toyota SUV.
On Friday, the Spartanburg County Coroner’s Office identified four of the five killed, including:
- Deborah Sue Wyatt, 50, of Duncan, S.C
- Max Douglas Wyatt Jr., 46, of Duncan, S.C.
- Greenville Police Department Sergeant Ashley Munoz, 35, of Woodruff, S.C.
- Maria Del Rosario Munoz, 62, Greenville, S.C.
Deborah Sue Wyatt and Max Douglas Wyatt Jr. were the occupants of the Ford SUV. Deborah was pronounced dead at the scene, the coroner’s office said. Wyatt Jr. was pronounced dead at Spartanburg Regional Medical Center at 4:06 a.m.
Ashley Munoz, Maria Del Rosario Munoz and Arturo Lean Munoz were the three occupants of the Toyota SUV who were pronounced dead at the scene.
LOCAL NEWS
As previously reported, Diana Munoz, a sergeant for the Greenville Police Department, was a passenger in the crash and was airlifted to a local hospital, where she remains in critical condition.
Ashley Munoz and Diana Munoz have two small children and were returning from vacation when the accident happened.
-
World6 minutes agoShakira Is Found Not Guilty of Tax Fraud in Spain
-
News13 minutes agoVideo: Deal Ends Long Island Rail Road Strike
-
Business24 minutes agoVideo: Jury Rejects Elon Musk’s Lawsuit Against OpenAI and Microsoft
-
Culture48 minutes agoKennedy Ryan on ‘Score,’ Her TV Deal, and Finding Purpose
-
Lifestyle54 minutes agoColbert’s last episodes: What happened on ‘The Late Show’ last night
-
Technology1 hour agoLG will release the first 1000Hz, 1080p gaming monitor this year
-
World1 hour agoAmerican tourists arrested in Japan after alleged break-in at viral monkey Punch’s enclosure
-
Politics1 hour agoHegseth unleashes on Massie in GOP primary showdown against Trump-backed Navy SEAL vet