Connect with us

Oklahoma

Missing 12-year-old Oklahoma boy found safe

Published

on

Missing 12-year-old Oklahoma boy found safe


play

Missing 12-year-old Ryan “RJ” Davis has been found safe, according to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.

In a Facebook post on Sunday, Jan. 11, the OSBI said Davis was located in Chickasha.

Advertisement

“The OSBI appreciates all our local law enforcement partners and search groups who assisted us throughout the week,” the OSBI posted. “We will provide updates when they become available.

The boy had been missing since Jan. 2.

News9 reported Sunday afternoon that OSBI spokesman Hunter McKee said the United Cajun Navy made contact with RJ and took him back to a hotel, where authorities processed him and took him to the hospital. Authorities said RJ appears to be fine physically, according to News9

The United Cajun Navy is a nonprofit grassroots group out of Louisiana that assists in search and rescue efforts and disaster recovery.

The boy’s mother, Kimberly Kay Cole, and stepfather, George Franklin Cole Jr., were arrested earlier this week on suspicion of child abuse and as of Sunday were still listed as being in custody at the Caddo County Jail in Anadarko. It’s not yet clear whether the charges are directly related to RJ’s disappearance, but the arrests came after officers interviewed the parents and obtained evidence from search warrants.

Advertisement

Authorities said Thursday, Jan. 8, that they believed RJ was still alive. Prior to Sunday, he was last seen Jan. 2 near the Chickasha Quality Inn.

Searchers were targeting a vast rural area from Cement to Chickasha, which is within an hour’s drive from Oklahoma City. The search included properties associated with the family. It was unclear from the OSBI’s Facebook post where in Chickasha the boy was found.

This story was updated to add new information.

Advertisement

Contributing: Staff writer Dale Denwalt



Source link

Oklahoma

New task force to inspect Oklahoma’s early childhood programs

Published

on

New task force to inspect Oklahoma’s early childhood programs


OKLAHOMA –

Starting Nov. 1, a new task force will study how Oklahoma delivers early childhood services and look for solutions to improve Oklahoma children’s care, health and education rankings.

Governor Kevin Stitt signed HB 1979 into law on May 11.

The task force will also look at how early childcare, health, and education agencies can work collaboratively so families can navigate these services more easily.

Advertisement

After two years, the task force could recommend a new governance structure to existing agencies into an agency that solely focuses on early childhood care, health, and education services.

Currently, 26 other states have implemented similar measures and are seeing positive results.

“Other states have found when they consolidate government services for early childhood, they are able to make targeted investments that actually improve outcomes for children,” said bill author Rep. Trish Ranson. “Right now, Oklahoma families have to navigate through 19 different programs through six different agencies to get the help they need. This taskforce looks at ways to better streamline this process so families are able to easily navigate the system and get the care they need. We will look at ways to fix the child care crisis long term, better prepare our children for school, and promote healthy living for families so Oklahoma children can grow strong and have the best opportunities for success.”





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Oklahoma

San Antonio at Oklahoma City, Final Score: Spurs’ late comeback falls short, 122-113

Published

on

San Antonio at Oklahoma City, Final Score: Spurs’ late comeback falls short, 122-113


The Western Conference Finals are at a stalemate thanks to chronic turnovers by the San Antonio Spurs. On top of that, Chet Holmgren finally showed up to the series, and OKC’s bench scored an abundance of relief points, which included Alex Caruso shooting like prime Klay Thompson. The series will now shift to San Antonio.

The Spurs never fell into a big crater (only 13 points), yet that deficit might as well be twice that with how desperate and physical the Thunder were playing. Victor Wembanyama was not the leading scorer this time (21 points, 17 rebounds, six assists) but his rim protection had opposing players seeing ghosts, rushing shots and trying to sell calls. But despite valiant efforts and multiple moments in which the deficit was cut to one possession, there wasn’t enough enough disruption at the arc, and the offense wasn’t flowing the same after Dylan Harper left with a leg injury in the third quarter.



Source link

Continue Reading

Oklahoma

OSDE launches teacher mentorship program in Oklahoma

Published

on

OSDE launches teacher mentorship program in Oklahoma


The Oklahoma State Department of Education has launched the Oklahoma Educator Launch & Mentorship Initiative, a statewide effort aimed at improving teacher recruitment and retention through training, mentorship and financial support for educators.

Oklahoma Teacher Initiative

The program includes a five-day Summer Launch Institute scheduled for July 27–31, 2026, followed by year-long mentorship support for first-year teachers.

OSDE said new teachers will be paired with experienced educators throughout the school year to help strengthen classroom readiness and long-term retention.

Advertisement

“Participating first-year teachers may earn up to $2,000 in stipends, while mentors may receive up to $10,000 for supporting new educators,” said Autumn Kouba, OSDE’s senior director of teacher recruitment and retention.

Focus On Teacher Recruitment and Retention

State Superintendent of Public Instruction Lindel Fields said the initiative is designed to support teachers early in their careers while recognizing experienced educators who serve as mentors.

“Recruiting great teachers is only part of the equation,” Fields said in a release. “We also have to ensure they feel supported, prepared, and encouraged to remain in the profession.”

Program Details

Advertisement
  • Summer Launch Institute runs July 27–31, 2026
  • First-year teachers can receive up to $2,000 in stipends
  • Mentors may earn up to $10,000
  • Retired educators and experienced teachers can apply as mentors

What happens next?

Applications are open now, and the Summer Launch Institute begins July 27, 2026.





Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending