🏠 News From Your Neighborhood
Miami, FL
Miami Heat’s Haywood Highsmith being sued by man who lost part of his leg in car crash
MIAMI – The 21-year-old man who lost part of his leg during a car accident involving Miami Heat forward Haywood Highsmith earlier this month is now suing the NBA player, court records show.
According to court documents, Alekxei Pino, 21, filed the lawsuit in Florida last week and is seeking unspecified damages in excess of $50,000.
The crash occurred on Feb. 6 a short time after the Heat’s 121-95 victory over the Orlando Magic.
A police report from the crash states Highsmith was cited with careless and negligent driving by the Miami-Dade Police Department.
According to the report, Pino was on the road helping a woman with her disabled car when Highsmith, who was driving west on Southwest 136th Street in a 2021 Audi, was traveling at an estimated 45 mph in a 40 mph zone and wasn’t able to stop his car when he noticed the disabled vehicle in the road.
Authorities confirmed Highsmith’s car crashed into the disabled vehicle and Pino, who was standing directly behind the vehicle.
Pino was taken to a local hospital in critical condition and had a partial amputation of his right leg, in addition to suffering a fractured left leg and a possible broken left arm, a police report stated.
Jerry Dianis, Highsmith’s agent, said his client had not consumed alcohol or drugs at the time of the crash.
TMZ previously noted the police report stated Highsmith may have been distracted by unknown circumstances.
Manuel Dobrinsky, Pino’s attorney, said in a statement obtained by TMZ that his client is still in the hospital recovering with “a very long road of rehabilitation ahead of him.”
Dianis released a statement last Thursday night that read, in part:
“This was an unfortunate accident. We have been notified that the person sustained significant injuries but is in stable condition. Haywood and his family are praying for him. Haywood is of course shaken by this and appreciates the support and prayers he has received from the Miami Heat and fans. We will have no further comment.”
Highsmith is currently in his third season with the Heat after originally signing a 10-day contract with the club in December 2021. He has appeared in 40 games this season, including each of the last three before the All-Star break after sitting out a Feb. 7 win over the San Antonio Spurs.
Read the court filings:
Copyright 2024 by WPLG Local10.com – All rights reserved.
Miami, FL
Man accused of following woman in his Tesla, exposing himself to her in South Miami
SOUTH MIAMI, Fla. — A 50-year-old man was arrested Wednesday, nearly a week after he followed a woman who had just left a gym in Miami’s Brickell neighborhood and then exposed himself to her while she was stopped at an intersection in South Miami, authorities said.
Leer en español
According to an arrest report from the South Miami Police Department, the victim told police that just after leaving the gym last Friday, she immediately noticed that she was being followed by a gray Tesla Model Y.
“The vehicle continued following the victim southbound on S. Dixie Highway while the driver attempted to gain her attention,” a police officer wrote in the arrest report.
The driver, later identified by police as Rogerio Miranda De Souza, of Pinecrest, was also “brake checking” her “in a manner that could have caused a collision,” the report stated.
Police said the victim was stopped near the intersection of South Dixie Highway and Southwest 70th Street when Miranda De Souza drove extremely close to the driver’s side of her vehicle, at which time she noticed his pants were lowered, exposing his genitals, and he was stroking his penis while making direct eye contact with her.
The victim provided detectives with the vehicle’s license plate number and a physical description of the suspect.
Police said she later identified Miranda De Souza in a photo lineup.
He was arrested Wednesday on a charge of indecent exposure.
As of Thursday morning, Miranda De Souza was being held at the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center on a $1,000 bond.
“Investigators have since learned that a neighboring law enforcement agency is conducting a separate investigation involving the same subject under similar circumstances,” a news release from SMPD stated. “Based on the ongoing investigation and the similarities between the incidents, detectives believe there may be additional victims who have not yet reported their encounters to law enforcement.”
Anyone with information about this investigation, or who believes they may have been victimized by Miranda De Souza is asked to call the South Miami Police Department or Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-8477.
Copyright 2026 by WPLG Local10.com – All rights reserved.
Miami, FL
Inter Miami nearing deal to bring in Brazilian star Casemiro to pair with Lionel Messi
A Manchester United veteran is closing in on a deal to join another soccer great in the MLS.
Brazilian star Casemiro is expected to reach a deal with Lionel Messi-led Inter Miami after he revealed he would depart Man United this summer after his contract ends, according to multiple reports.
The addition of Casemiro, who was just named to Brazil’s squad for the 2026 World Cup, would bolster an already star-studded lineup for the defending MLS Cup champs, headlined by Messi, Luis Suárez and Rodrigo De Paul.
Casemiro would join Inter Miami as a free agent during the MLS summer transfer window, which runs from July 13 to Sept. 2, according to ESPN. Miami is the Brazilian’s top choice.
The LA Galaxy and Saudi Arabia’s Al Ittihad also reportedly expressed interest in trying to lure Casemiro to their respective clubs.
Since Inter Miami does not have a Designated Player spot available on its roster, Casemiro’s contract will be less than $2 million for this season, barring one of the club’s three DPs doesn’t leave over the summer.
Inter Miami will also need to negotiate an agreement with the Galaxy, which holds Casemiro’s MLS discovery rights
The mechanism allows for a club to put a player on its discovery list, which is limited to five players, in order to get priority rights to negotiate with them in order to sign them.
According to The Athletic, no agreement has been reached between Inter Miami and the Galaxy regarding compensation for his discovery rights.

The news of the likely signing comes while the club has been in the middle of a spat with some of its most diehard fans, who protested over the lack of recognition during Inter Miami’s 2-0 win over Portland.
La Familia, the club’s collective of supporters’ groups, staged an 84-minute silent protest before breaking out in a chant demanding recognition from Inter Miami.
The protest overshadowed what Inter Miami’s first win at its new home field, but the Miami Herald reported that club leadership was set to meet with members of La Familia on Wednesday.
Miami next plays Philadelphia on Sunday in the last game before the World Cup break.
Miami, FL
United States expected to indict Raúl Castro today. Here’s how to watch.
The United States is expected to announce the indictment of former Cuban leader Raúl Castro at an event in Miami on Wednesday, and CBS News Miami will be airing the historic moment on-air and online.
Why is Raúl Castro being indicted?
Raúl Castro, 94, the younger brother of longtime dictator Fidel Castro, is expected to face charges related to the deadly 1996 shootdown of two Brothers to the Rescue planes, as CBS News was first to report last week.
This comes as the U.S. continues to pile on the pressure on the Cuban government.
In recent months the Trump administration has threatened heavy tariffs on countries that export oil to Cuba, and that has led to widespread blackouts amid an economic and energy crisis.
How to watch the expected Raúl Castro indictment
CBS News Miami will begin special streaming coverage starting at 12:30 p.m.
Starting at 1 p.m., the United States Department of Justice is expected to make the announcement at an event in Miami.
You can stream special coverage starting at 12:30 p.m. on this page, or download the free CBS News app on your mobile or streaming device. The announcement from the DOJ will be broadcast live on CBS News Miami Channel 4, as well as the cbsnews.com/miami live stream.
-
Cleveland, OH5 minutes ago
2 shot at Cleveland barbershop, suspect on the run
-
Austin, TX11 minutes agoLive updates: Scattered storms make their way through Central Texas
-
Alabama17 minutes agoAlabama Poppy Project display moving from Prattville in 2026
-
Alaska23 minutes agoSouthcentral Alaska’s chilly spring prompts avalanche alerts for hikers
-
Arizona29 minutes agoCalls for Department of Justice to investigate DCS treatment of children with type 1 diabetes
-
Arkansas35 minutes agoArkansas officials target repeat fentanyl traffickers as counterfeit pill threat grows
-
Colorado47 minutes agoDenver flights grounded, hundreds delayed as storms hit Colorado’s Eastern Plains
-
Connecticut53 minutes ago3 names added to Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial in Meriden