Connect with us

Maryland

Maryland astronaut named to SpaceX crew ahead of possible moon mission

Published

on

Maryland astronaut named to SpaceX crew ahead of possible moon mission


play

Jessica Watkins, who has already made NASA history, is now set for a second trip to space.

The astronaut from Gaithersburg, Maryland, was announced last week as the spacecraft commander for NASA’s SpaceX Crew-13 mission expected to launch later this year.

Advertisement

Here’s what to know about Watkins.

Who is Jessica Watkins?

Watkins was born in 1988 in Gaithersburg, Maryland, located about 25 miles northwest from downtown Washington DC.

It was in Maryland where she first had dreams of going to space. While attending an after-school program at Judith Resnik Elementary School in Gaithersburg as a 9-year-old, she learned the school was named after the second American woman who went to space.

“I learned that you could go into space as a career, and I was definitely hooked,” she told Stanford Magazine in 2022.

She later moved to Lafayette, Colorado, which she considers her hometown, according to NASA.

Advertisement

After graduating with her bachelor’s degree from Stanford University, Watkins received her doctorate from UCLA in 2015.

“Jessica Watkins has been shaping the future of space exploration since her days at UCLA,” the university said.

What experience does Jessica Watkins have with NASA?

A geologist by training, Watkins was selected as a NASA astronaut in 2017 after working on Mars rover science teams.

She first left earth in 2022 as the mission specialist on NASA’s SpaceX Crew-4 mission, logging 170 days in space.

Advertisement

It was a historic mission for Watkins, who became the first Black woman to live and work at the International Space Station.

“I think it really is just a tribute to the legacy of the Black women astronauts that have come before me, as well as to the exciting future ahead,” Watkins said during an NPR interview. 

NASA said her mission duties included “maintaining the space station and contributing to science experiments that not only might improve life on Earth, but also allow researchers to learn more about the effects of long duration spaceflight on the human body.”

In addition to her spaceflight experience, Watkins was named to NASA’s Artemis team, a group of astronauts eligible for future missions to the Moon.

Her experience will now bring her back to the ISS. Watkins will join Luke Delaney, Joshua Kutryk and Sergey Teteryatinikov to replace the Crew-12 mission at the space station.

Advertisement

NASA said the mission is targeted for September.



Source link

Maryland

Maryland Board of Elections pushes back on Trump’s claim of 500,000 fake mail-in ballots

Published

on

Maryland Board of Elections pushes back on Trump’s claim of 500,000 fake mail-in ballots


The Maryland State Board of Elections (SBE) is denying President Trump’s claim that the state “just had 500,000 Fake Mail-In Ballots revealed,” saying that no “fake ballots” were distributed.

The SBE previously acknowledged an error by its mail-in ballot vendor that resulted in some voters receiving the wrong party ballot for the gubernatorial primary election. The president, in response, claimed on social media that Maryland “just had 500,000 Fake Mail-In Ballots revealed” and pushed for the passage of the Save America Act.

Maryland SBE mailed some voters the wrong ballots

The SBE said that more than 500,000 Maryland voters requested mail-in ballots. According to the SBE, the error only affects voters who were mailed a ballot before May 14, 2026.

However, the SBE said that while it is possible that “only a small number” of voters received the wrong ballot, because of the error, all voters must be sent a replacement ballot.

Advertisement

The board of elections said it is working with the vendor to send those replacement mail-in ballots.   

Voters who requested and received their mail-in ballot online to print at home will not be impacted, according to the SBE. All impacted voters will be notified.   

The Maryland primaries will be held on June 23, 2026.

After the error was acknowledged, Mr. Trump wrote on Saturday, “Maryland just had 500,000 Fake Mail-In Ballots revealed. We cannot, as a Country, put up with this any longer!!! Voter I.D., and Proof of Citizenship, must be approved, NOW. Crooked Mail-In Voting must be stopped!!! PUT IT ALL IN THE HOUSING AND FISA BILLS. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!”  

Jared DeMarinis, the Maryland State Administrator of Elections, told CBS News Baltimore that “I want to assure the President, voters, and the public that NO Fake Mail-in ballots were distributed.”

Advertisement

He added that the trusted source on election results is the State Board of Elections, “rather than a social media influencer.”

“The wording in President Trump’s post regarding Maryland’s election seeks to mislead, sow distrust, and create misinformation,” DeMarinis said.  

DeMarinis said the SBE issued a statement acknowledging an error, and it continues to move quickly to engage all affected and concerned voters.

“The action taken for reissuance of ballots eliminates any doubt about the integrity or accuracy of mail-in voting,”  DeMarinis said. “Maryland’s elections are verified, secure, and transparent. Mail-in voting is, and will remain, an integral part of the electoral process. Every eligible voter will get a chance to cast their ballot in their chosen manner and every voice will be heard.”

What is the Save America Act?

The SAVE America Act, or the Safeguard American Voter Eligibility Act, was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives on Jan. 30, 2026.

Advertisement

The bill would require voters to provide proof of U.S. citizenship when registering, and would implement photo identification requirements for voting.

The bill would also prevent states from accepting and processing voting applications to register in a federal election unless the voter presents documentary proof of U.S. citizenship.

Proponents of the bill say it is aimed at preventing noncitizens from casting ballots. Some experts, however, say the bill could affect millions of Americans who don’t have access to certain documents, like a passport or their birth certificate, or who have changed their names



Source link

Continue Reading

Maryland

Maryland is resending thousands of mail-in primary ballots after a vendor mix-up – WTOP News

Published

on

Maryland is resending thousands of mail-in primary ballots after a vendor mix-up – WTOP News


The State Board of Elections said some voters received the wrong party’s ballot because of a vendor error.

Thousands of Maryland voters are getting new primary election ballots in the mail because of an error in the first batch.

The State Board of Elections said some voters received the wrong party’s ballot because of a vendor error.

It is possible only a small number of voters received the wrong ballot, and most voters received the correct ballot,” the board of elections said in a statement. 

Advertisement

But all mail-in voters will be sent a replacement ballot.

“Mail-in voting is an integral facet of the electoral process. With over 500,000 voters requesting mail-in ballots, we want to eliminate any doubt in its integrity or accuracy … that is why I have arranged the sending of replacement ballots,” Maryland State Administrator of Elections Jared DeMarinis said. 

The affected ballots were requested and mailed before May 14, more than a month before the state’s June 16 deadline for voters who wish to have their ballots mailed to them.

Voters who requested ballots that can be downloaded, printed and mailed were not affected by the error. They have until June 22 — the day before the state’s primary election — to request ballots by web delivery.

“Please be assured that we are actively answering phones and responding to emails and will remain transparent as we navigate through this situation,” DeMarinis said. “We will make every effort to ensure that everyone affected knows the situation and how to cast their ballot.”

Advertisement

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2026 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Maryland

Governor Moore Highlights Military Infrastructure and Small Business Investment during “Delivering for Maryland” Tour in Harford County

Published

on

Governor Moore Highlights Military Infrastructure and Small Business Investment during “Delivering for Maryland” Tour in Harford County


Updated:

ANNAPOLIS, MD — Governor Wes Moore today made the latest stop on his statewide “Delivering for Maryland” tour in Harford County, highlighting investments to support military infrastructure and small business revitalization. During his tour, the governor participated in a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Maryland Army National Guard’s new Combined Support Maintenance Shop and toured downtown Havre de Grace to underscore the administration’s commitment to investing in Maryland’s local economies.

“We cannot build a thriving state without investing directly in our communities and the men and women who protect them,” said Gov. Moore. “From upgrading century-old facilities for our citizen-soldiers to breathing new life into our Main Streets, our administration is committed to delivering real results for Harford County.”

Governor Moore look at memorial

The governor began the day at the Havre de Grace Military Reservation, joining state and local leaders to cut the ribbon on the Maryland Army National Guard’s new $45 million Combined Support Maintenance Shop. Built on an 11-acre parcel, the new 68,000-square-foot complex replaces century-old structures to provide advanced maintenance capabilities for Maryland’s inventory of military vehicles and equipment. The State of Maryland contributed nearly $20 million toward the $45 million construction project, which greatly expands maintenance capacity, increases efficiency, strengthens readiness for the more than 80 Army National Guard units dispersed throughout Maryland, and improves safety for the 63 full-time personnel stationed at the facility.

“We live in a world of advanced technology and electrical systems, so we are grateful to the state and federal partners who ensured our soldiers have a modern facility that will keep our force always ready to respond to any mission that will arise,” said Maj. Gen. Janeen L. Birckhead, Adjutant General of Maryland. “The phenomenal team who works in this new maintenance facility will be the architects of victory.”

Advertisement

Governor Moore smiling at shopkeeper in store

Following the ribbon-cutting, Governor Moore joined Havre de Grace Mayor Bill Martin for a tour of the city aboard the Tide, Maryland’s first-of-its-kind low-speed electric vehicle transit service. The tour launched from the STAR (Sports, Theater, Arts, Recreation) Centre, which received more than $930,000 in grant funding awarded to the city through the Maryland Energy Administration’s Fiscal Year 2026 Local Government Energy Modernization Program. The funding will support a new rooftop solar array and vital energy efficiency measures, allowing the facility—and the city’s all-electric transit trolleys charged there—to rely fully on solar power.

The trolley tour concluded at the Vineyard Wine Bar, kicking off a walking tour of Havre de Grace, a Designated Main Street community through the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development’s Main Street Maryland program. Governor Moore, alongside Mayor Martin and members of the Havre de Grace city council, visited a number of local businesses that have benefited from funds provided to the City of Havre de Grace Department of Economic Development & Tourism through the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development’s State Revitalization Programs.

The City of Havre de Grace’s Façade and Interior Program, provides matching funds to local businesses to encourage building renovation, business attraction, historic preservation and to improve the economic vitality of the downtown business district. During the walk, the governor met with owners of several grant recipient businesses, including JoRetro, the Havre de Grace Visitor’s Center, and the Vineyard Wine Bar.

“Hosting Governor Moore today was a wonderful opportunity to showcase the full scope of our state-local partnership,” said Havre de Grace Mayor Bill Martin. “From the more than $930,000 state grant to bring solar power and energy efficiency to the STAR Centre, to the State Revitalization Programs helping our Main Street businesses renovate and thrive, we deeply appreciate the Moore-Miller Administration’s investment in Havre de Grace’s future.”

The governor’s visit to Harford County follows his “Delivering for Maryland” tour in Talbot County yesterday. In Talbot County, Governor Moore celebrated expanded broadband access at the 19th Annual Talbot County Business Appreciation Summit, honored local public safety personnel at the Easton First Responders Celebration, toured the construction progress for the new University of Maryland Shore Regional Medical Center, and highlighted state investments in community facilities following a tour of the St. Michaels Community Center.

###

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending