Kentucky
Former Kentucky superintendent sentenced for sexually exploiting children
A former Kentucky superintendent was sentenced May 7 at the federal courthouse in Owensboro on charges related to sexual exploitation of children.
U.S. District Court Judge Greg N. Stivers sentenced Matthew D. Constant, the former Owensboro Public Schools superintendent, to 30 years in prison, followed by a lifetime supervised release for:
- Two counts of online enticement of a minor
- Three counts of receipt of child pornography
- Two counts of sexual exploitation of a minor
- Two counts of transferring obscene material to a minor
Court records state Constant “knowingly received child pornography” on or about Dec. 3, 2019. The nine charges span events from that day until April 26, 2023.
Constant, who served as superintendent in Owensboro from 2020 to May 2023, was arrested by Kentucky State Police in July 2023 after KSP received a tip about an inappropriate relationship between the school administrator and a student.
Owenboro’s Board of Education voted unanimously in June 2023 to suspend Constant without pay, then began to terminate his contract “for conduct unbecoming of a superintendent,” according to the Owensboro Times.
While criminal charges had not yet been filed in June 2023, the school board told the Owensboro Times it had been informed by police that Constant “did engage in a relationship with an adult-aged student enrolled in another school district.”
A grand jury indicted Constant in August 2024 on charges related to three separate minors. The case was quickly sealed under state law.
Court records show it was unsealed within a week, while Constant was being held in the Henderson County Detention Center. On Aug. 22, 2024, he pleaded not guilty to the charges, according to a court order.
Due a protective order brought forward by U.S. Attorney Michael Bennett and Assistant U.S. Attorney Leigh Ann Dycus, many of the details of the case remain under seal.
Constant withdrew his guilty plea on Feb. 11, instead pleading guilty to all counts. He did not enter a plea agreement, according to court records.
A sentencing memorandum filed May 5 and written by his attorney, Bryce L. Caldwell, states: “Mr. Constant makes no excuses for his actions and fully accepts the consequences of his catastrophic, illegal choices.”
Stephanie Kuzydym is an enterprise and investigative sports reporter, with a focus on the health and safety of athletes. She can be reached at skuzydym@courier-journal.com. Follow her for updates at @stephkuzy.
Kentucky
Trump endorsements shape Kentucky primary races
KENTUCKY (WKYT) – President Donald Trump’s endorsements of several Kentucky candidates have drawn attention to Tuesday’s U.S. Senate and House primary races, with political experts and party officials weighing in on the potential impact on voters.
Trump has been vocal on social media and in interviews about who should represent Kentucky in Washington.
“Something like an endorsement from President Trump or good coverage in partisan media can make the difference,” said Dr. Stephen Voss, a specialist in elections and voting behavior at the University of Kentucky.
Voss said presidential endorsements, especially from Trump, can easily sway a close election. He said the average voter is looking for a shortcut on who to push forward in the primary.
“Party identification drives how a lot of people vote, but in a party primary, that doesn’t help,” Voss said. “Voters in Kentucky that are republican are choosing republican politicians; voters need shortcuts so they can get their homework done, pick a candidate and move on. A Donald Trump endorsement for a lot of voters is the guideline they’d use to determine how to vote.”
Questions still remain surrounding Trump’s decisions to speak against certain candidates who have disagreed with him, including U.S. Representative Thomas Massie. The president endorsed Massie’s opponent, Ed Gallrein.
Kentucky Democratic Party Chair Colmon Elridge called it petty politics.
“Who we send to congress, who’s in the United States Senate — they affect people’s real lives and Donald Trump really is detached from the lives of the Emerican people and people right here in Kentucky,” Elridge said.
Adam Hope with the Republican Party of Kentucky said while the party cannot show favoritism, they support Trump’s decisions.
“Our president is definitely endorsing some candidates he feels like are gonna get the job done and advance his agenda in the best way he sees fit,” Hope said.
Hope said while these endorsements may not necessarily bring more people to the polls, they will get more people’s attention as to why primary races are important.
Copyright 2026 WKYT. All rights reserved.
Kentucky
Kentucky Wildcats News: Jamal Crawford dream lives on
Kentucky
Ky. women work to combat period poverty, free period pantries open in Lexington and beyond
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) – Gov. Andy Beshear signed a proclamation on May 5. It officially marks May 11-17 as Period Poverty Awareness Week in Kentucky.
According to a fact sheet from Alliance for Period Supplies, one in five women and girls in Kentucky between the ages of 12 and 44 live below the federal poverty level. Nationwide, two out of five people who get periods struggle to afford period products.
Skylar Davis founded Period Y’all in 2022. Since then, the organization has been fighting to end period poverty in the Commonwealth. Davis said the group has installed free menstrual product pantries in seven Kentucky counties.
That includes Letcher, Madison, Garrard, Jessamine, McCracken, Jefferson, and Washington County.
Davis said recent cost increases have left many with a difficult choice.
“Choosing between period products and feeding their kids,” Davis said.
Davis said many have had to skip work or school because of a lack of resources.
But through her organization’s work, she’s able to make a change.
This week alone, they were able to give out more than 19,000 free period products.
“Anything that we can do to raise awareness about this experience and help alleviate this is monumental,” Davis said.
Emily Yonter, creator of the more than 60,000 member Ladies of Lexington Facebook page, has noticed the problem too.
“We get tons of requests, pretty much daily, of women in the area needing period products,” Yonter said.
That’s why she and other members of the group launched “The Pink Box” last week on West Sixth Street downtown, right across from Coolavin Park.
Yonter said it’s simple to use. Anyone can open the door, take what they need and leave what they can.
“It’s time to start being more direct and be more hands on with the community,” Yonter said.
“We’re just really grateful that the community wanted to help us make it happen and that so many women in ladies of lex donated,” Yonter said.
Both groups rely on the community to keep these pantries stocked and they hope to open more pantries in Kentucky.
Ladies of Lexington is accepting monetary and supply donations. They also are now selling merchandise, and that money will go towards buying period products.
Period Y’all has an Amazon Wishlist and monetary donation link for anybody who’d like to donate.
Copyright 2026 WKYT. All rights reserved.
-
News3 minutes agoLong Island Rail Road strike ends as MTA, unions reach tentative deal
-
New York2 hours agoRead the judge’s decision on evidence in the Luigi Mangione state murder trial.
-
Los Angeles, Ca2 hours agoSimi Valley School District cancels school Tuesday as Sandy Fire doubles in size
-
Detroit, MI2 hours agoTwerking for your vote: Detroit 13th Congressional Candidate not shy on social media
-
San Francisco, CA2 hours agoSan Francisco’s last jeepney helps highlight city’s Filipino culture
-
Dallas, TX2 hours agoDallas Sumer of Safety initiative is back
-
Miami, FL2 hours agoFIFA launches official World Cup merchandise shop in Miami Beach
-
Boston, MA3 hours agoWith the World Cup weeks away, Boston and the T clash over Summer Street closure – The Boston Globe

