Delaware
‘Takeover’ events on uptick statewide; 4 wanted for Rehoboth incident
$30K Millsboro police misconduct settlement reveals new details
Millsboro paid a $30,000 settlement, a Freedom of Information Act request revealed.
- Several “takeover” events, large gatherings of young people often organized via social media, have happened recently in Delaware.
- Six police agencies responded to a “takeover” event in Rehoboth Beach May 20.
- Police are seeking four Delaware State University students for allegedly inciting a riot at the Rehoboth event.
The rate of “takeover” events in Delaware appears to be going up with the temperature, with recent incidents in all three counties.
“Takeover” events are typically shared via social media, which results in large gatherings of young people that sometimes require a police response.
The evening of May 19, six police agencies in at least 10 vehicles responded to the area of the bandstand in Rehoboth Beach for such an event and now, four Delaware State University students are wanted for inciting a riot.
The Rehoboth “takeover” event was advertised to take place on the beach and boardwalk, according to Rehoboth Beach Police Department spokesman Mark Sweet, but police had “minimal advance notice.”
“As the event grew, additional resources from the area to include the Delaware State Police, the Department of Natural Resources, Dewey Beach Police, Milford Police, Lewes Police and Bethany Beach Police, responded to growing concerns over the safety of people and property,” Sweet said in a statement.
He did not say how many people attended the event or how many were arrested, but said charges included disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, underage consumption and marijuana use in a public space, he said.
Multiple business owners in the beach block of Rehoboth Avenue said there were at least a hundred people at the event and at least one business closed early.
The event was the fifth “takeover” this year, Sweet said, and the people responsible have previously promoted similar events in Rehoboth.
Police are actively looking for the four Delaware State University students, Sweet said, to charge them with conspiracy and intent to commit or facilitate a riot, both felonies. The suspects are ages 19 to 22.
“At this time, there is no known danger to the public and we will continue to monitor future events to ensure the safety of our residents, visitors, business owners, employees, and their property,” Sweet said. “We will take the necessary actions to keep the peace and good order of the City of Rehoboth Beach so that all may enjoy everything the City has to offer.”
The Ice Cream Store is located at 6 Rehoboth Ave. Owner Chip Hearn said his employees had no problems and witnessed no crimes.
“But they’re not out there watching, they’re serving customers,” Hearn said. “I thought police handled it extremely well.”
What’s a junebug?
Large groups of students, typically high school- or, increasingly, college-age, often gather at the Delaware beaches at this time of year. Seniors come to celebrate graduation, and locals call them “junebugs.”
Dewey Beach, especially, has long dealt with the issue.
“Oftentimes underage kids are at a loss for structured activities and they end up loitering outside bars and other restricted venues,” Dewey Beach Police Chief Constance Speake said in a 2024 town newsletter. “Some bring alcohol in back packs and gather on the beach.”
All of Delaware’s ocean beach towns have a curfew. Rehoboth, Dewey and Bethany beaches all have an 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew for those younger than 18. Fenwick Island’s curfew is midnight to 6 a.m.
Rehoboth was the last to institute a curfew, in 2025, and the only one to issue any curfew violations last year. In nine separate incidents, 21 civil citations were issued, 10 of which were for juveniles under the age of 16, according to Sweet.
The context
Large gatherings of students haven’t been confined to the beaches recently, though.
Six teens were arrested at the Christiana Fashion Center May 16 after police responded to reports of 100 juveniles fighting in the parking lot. They were charged with disorderly conduct and other offenses.
In Kent County, public parks closed multiple times in April to prevent such gatherings.
In Smyrna, George C. Wright Jr. Municipal Park closed early April 24 due to a planned, unpermitted party, the Smyrna Police Department said in a Facebook post.
Kent County Parks & Recreation closed three parks earlier in April “due to credible reports of large, unsanctioned gatherings,” a social media post said.
The closures were made out of precaution because past parties have resulted in vandalism and large amounts of trash, Kent Department of Community Services Director Jeremy Sheppard said.
Reach Shannon Marvel McNaught at smcnaught@gannett.com or on Facebook.