AUSTIN, TEXAS – The No. 22 South Carolina women’s tennis team came up short against No. 9 Texas in Austin on Thursday afternoon. The Gamecocks move to 9-5 (2-4 SEC).
No. 21 Lauren Friedman and Helena Buchwald picked up right where they left off, securing another doubles win, defeating the top pair from Texas, 6-2. Sara Borkop and Jane Dunyon dropped their match on court three, 6-1. It all came down to Kaitlyn Carnicella and Jana Stojanova on court five. The duo from South Carolina battled back to tie things up at four apiece before Texas claimed the court and doubles point with a 6-4 win.
Moving into singles, the Gamecocks picked up three first-set wins, including Buchwald defeating her ranked opponent 6-3. Buchwald went on to defeat the No 16 player in the country in straight sets (6-3, 6-4). Jana Stojanova stormed back and won her first set 7-5 on court six. She claimed the Gamecocks’ second overall point, defeating her opponent from Texas in straight sets. Taylor Goetz claimed her first set on court four, but her opponent forced a third frame after winning the second. After a back-and-forth battle, Texas was able to pick up the set win, the court and the overall match. Jane Dunyon fought back hard in the second frame, earning a 7-5 win, forcing a third. Her court was marked unfinished as the Longhorns clinched the match.
The Gamecocks remain on the road as they take on No. 8 Texas A&M on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET.
No. 22 South Carolina 2, No. 9 Texas 4
Doubles (order of finish: 2,1,3)
Singles (order of finish:)
AUSTIN, Texas – We are in the middle of early voting for the runoff elections, and the battle for the Republican nomination for attorney general is heating up.
What they’re saying:
Congressman Chip Roy spent Wednesday morning with members of the Austin Police Association. He came to show support for those wearing the badge and to voice his support for legislative proposals that are focused on liberal district attorneys.
“This is not the same as federalism. Like some people talk about it and say, well, you know, you don’t like the federal government reaching into Texas. Yeah, true. Do I want Austin micromanaging the rest of the state? I do not. But do I think the state has the legal ability? And frankly, I think it’s a moral duty. To make sure that the entire state of Texas is safe for its people? Yes, I do,” said Roy.
Congressman Roy is in a runoff for the GOP Attorney General nomination with state senator Mayes Middleton. The Galveston Republican has also been busy making campaign stops and rallying his supporters.
“You got to go earn this. You got go fight for it. And I am never retreating from Washington DC because I’m never going to Washington DC. I have always known the fight is here. And the most important thing in this race and as attorney general, the number one thing is defeating the left,” said Middleton.
Both candidates are considered staunch conservatives, but neither was included in President Trump’s Tuesday endorsement of current AG Ken Paxton.
President Trump Wednesday morning defended his endorsement of Ken Paxton for the Texas GOP Senate nomination. He made the pick despite recent polls that show Paxton is trailing Democratic nominee James Talarico.
The Paxton endorsement is an example of how the GOP Senate runoff between Paxton and incumbent John Cornyn continues to suck the political air out of all the other runoff races.
FOX 7 asked Roy and Middleton if they were disappointed.
“Well, like I would be honored to have the president’s endorsement, his endorsement in this race here. And look, I’m the pro-Trump candidate,” said Middleton.
Roy also took the presidential pass in stride when asked if he was disappointed no official endorsement had been made in his race.
“We’ve had a lot of great conversations about this race. The president is an engaged guy across the country, but he’s been focusing predominantly on federal races,” said Roy.
PREVIOUS COVERAGE: We are almost a month away from the start of early voting for the May runoff elections. That vote will finalize several big primary races and will kick off the push to the November general election.
Middleton’s campaign has accused Roy of not being a true Trump supporter, citing what the Congressman did and didn’t after Trump’s first-term House Impeachment vote. Roy responded by saying the President knows he is a great ally.
“I’ve delivered on the Big, Beautiful Bill. I’m leading his favorite piece of legislation in his words, the Save America Act. I’m the author of that,” said Roy.
“And we’re delivering a message that’s resonating that you ought to have a real lawyer as your attorney general. Somebody who’s been in court, prosecuted bad guys. Been, the first assistant attorney general run complex litigation not effectively manage your family royalties, never having been in court,” said Roy.
Middleton’s message is also how he is a different kind of conservative than Roy.
“And look, every vote’s going to count. We know turnout is lower in a runoff than it is in the March 3 primary. But the same things that I’m doing. They got me in first place on March 3. I’m going now. And I will make sure that I protect and defend our great state. And I say this as well, a lazy campaigner turns into a lazy elected official.”
The other side:
Texas Democrats are also having a contentious runoff for their AG nomination.
Joe Jaworski, the former mayor of Galveston, and state Senator Nathan Johnson, who is from the DFW Metroplex, have taken a few political and personal shots at each other.
The Source: Information from interviews conducted by FOX 7 Austin’s Rudy Koski
As three teens face charges in a string of weekend shootings and robberies, mental health is becoming part of the broader conversation in Austin. One suspect’s mother told KXAN her 15-year-old son had struggled with substance abuse and suicidal thoughts — not as an excuse, she said, but as context for how mental health can affect a young person’s decisions. READ MORE: https://www.kxan.com/news/simplehealth/travis-county-launches-childrens-mental-health-plan-as-teen-crime-case-raises-concerns/
AUSTIN (KXAN) — Severe thunderstorms and flooding are possible in Central Texas Tuesday evening into early Wednesday. Here’s the latest forecast from the First Warning Weather team.
Here are the main headlines:
8:54 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for southern Blanco, Hays, Travis and southwestern Williamson counties until 10 p.m. Winds gusts up to 70 mph and quarter-size hail are possible with this storm.
8:49 p.m.: Wind gusts are strengthening in Williamson County. The National Weather Service now says wind gusts of 70 mph are possible, which could cause “considerable tree damage.” A Severe Thunderstorm Warning remains in effect until 9:15 p.m.
8:51 p.m.: KXAN’s Grace Reader is monitoring the storms and sent in this video heading towards Marble Falls.
8:35 p.m.: The National Weather Service said the severe thunderstorm in central Williamson County is now capable to producing ping pong ball-sized hail. A Severe Thunderstorm Warning remains in effect until 9:15 p.m.
8:20 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Blanco, Burnet, northeastern Gillespie, northwestern Hays, southeastern Llano, northwestern Travis and southwestern Williamson counties until 9:15 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.
8:18 p.m.: Texas Game Wardens have been activated and are prepared to provide support in areas affected by the potential severe weather.
8:11 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for central Williamson County until 9:15 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.
8:10 p.m.: KXAN’s Jordan Belt is monitoring the storms and sent in this video from Burnet.
7:51 p.m.: KXAN’s Grace Reader is monitoring the storms and sent in this video from just north of Burnet.
7:45 p.m.: A Flash Flood Warning has been issued for northern Burnet and northern Llano counties until midnight.
7:43 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for central Burnet County until 8:30 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.
7:40 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for northwestern Williamson County until 8:15 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.
7:28 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for western Burnet county and Llano County until 8:30 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph are possible with this storm.
7:16 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Northeastern Burnet County until 8:15 p.m. Ping pong ball-sized hail and wind gusts up to 60 mph are possible with this storm.
7:06 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Southeastern Lampasas County until 8:15 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.
6:56 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for northern Williamson County until 7:30 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and half dollar-sized hail are possible with this storm.
6:55 p.m.: KXAN’s Grace Reader is monitoring the storms and sent in this video from just south of Lampasas.
6:45 p.m.: KXAN’s Grace Reader is monitoring the storms and sent in these photos from Marble Falls.


6:33 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Burnet County, northern Llano County and northwestern Williamson County until 7:30 p.m. Ping pong ball-sized hail and wind gusts up to 60 mph are possible with this storm.
6:27 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for northeastern Williamson County until 7:15 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.
6:12 p.m.: The Severe Thunderstorm Watch has been extended to include Bastrop, Blanco, Burnet, Hays, Lampasas, Lee, Milam, Travis and Williamson counties until 1 a.m.
6:11 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for northwestern Mason County until 7:15 p.m. Golf ball-sized hail and wind gusts up to 60 mph are possible with this storm.
5:54 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for western Burnet and central Llano counties until 6:45 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.
3:56 p.m.: The National Weather Service has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Gillespie, Llano, Mason and San Saba counties. It will be in effect until 11 p.m.
Don’t Miss
AMAZING AMERICA 250: Alabama BBQ Joints Keeping Tradition on the Fire
Opinion: Alaska’s win-win constitutional solution – Homer News
Where to watch Colorado Rockies vs Arizona Diamondbacks: TV channel, start time, streaming for May 21
Turkey season was one of the best | Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
They used to battle in CA elections. Now, they back the same candidate
Colorado residents who switch to heat pumps can expect more rebates this summer
Eversource seeks 11% rate hike for Connecticut residents by next summer
Mike Purzycki was enough for Wilmington. We’ll miss him | Opinion