Connect with us

Politics

More than 500 noncitizens registered to vote in DC Council elections Tuesday despite House reckoning

Published

on

More than 500 noncitizens registered to vote in DC Council elections Tuesday despite House reckoning

More than 500 noncitizens are registered to vote in Tuesday’s Washington, D.C., Council elections.

As of May 29, which is the latest available count, 523 noncitizen Washington, D.C., residents are registered to vote, Sarah Graham, a spokeswoman for the District of Columbia Board of Elections (DCBOE), told Fox News Digital. 

That includes 310 registered Democrats, 28 Republicans, 16 with the D.C. Statehood Green Party, and 169 unaffiliated noncitizen voters who are registered with no party, Graham said. 

Graham said the DCBOE does not collect data on the nationalities of noncitizen voters, but The Washington Post spoke to noncitizen voters from El Salvador, Iran and Ethiopia. 

TOP DEM’S PAST PUSH FOR NONCITIZEN VOTING RIGHTS REVEALED AHEAD OF HOUSE VOTE

Advertisement

A sign for an early voting site at the Stead Park Recreation Center is photographed in northwest Washington, D.C., on May 29, 2024. (AP Photo/Robert Yoon)

Just days before the June 4 Washington, D.C., primary, 52 House Democrats voted with Republicans on a bill to overturn a 2022 Washington, D.C., law that allows noncitizens to vote in local elections. Though it is unclear if the Democrat-controlled Senate will take on the legislation, the margin of House Democrats who supported the bill increased from the 42 who voted to strike down the law last year. 

The House Administration Committee has held two hearings in recent weeks dedicated to discussing how noncitizen voting impacts confidence in American elections and risks possible foreign interference. 

 “The D.C. Board of Elections recently confirmed that nearly 500 non-citizens have registered to vote in our nation’s capital, and that number is only growing. Early voting for D.C. primary election is happening right now. And as we sit here today, non-citizens are voting to elect members of the D.C. City Council. That’s absurd,” Chairman Bryan Steil, R-Wis., said during his opening statement last week. 

“We must do two things. One, we cannot allow the D.C. citizens voting law to spread across the United States,” he said. “And two, we need to ensure non-citizens aren’t voting in federal elections across the United States. While it’s illegal today for non-citizens to vote in our federal elections, it’s also illegal to evade border patrol and unlawfully enter the country. And as we’ve seen, that hasn’t stopped anyone.” 

Advertisement

During early voting for the D.C. Council primary, 6,051 people have already voted in person at polling sites across the district, 27,734 mail-in ballots have been received via the U.S. Postal Service and another 18,492 ballots have been received by drop box, according to the latest figures posted on the DCBOE website. 

House Administration Committee Chairman Bryan Steil, R-Wis., has been holding hearings in recent weeks about concern over noncitizen voting across the U.S. (Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images)

DC CARJACKER CRASHES NEAR US ATTORNEY’S OFFICE, ELDERLY WOMAN INSIDE VEHICLE DIES: POLICE

As of April 30, 450,750 people were registered to vote in the nation’s capital. 

The numbers are tallied monthly, so the latest data available is from April, Graham explained, since May ended four days ago, and the Washington, D.C., Council elections are happening Tuesday. 

Advertisement

Last year, Abel Amene, an Ethiopian immigrant, became the first noncitizen elected to public office in Washington, D.C. Amene ran unopposed as Ward 4’s advisory neighborhood commissioner. 

Abel Amene, the advisory neighborhood commissioner in Ward 4 and the first noncitizen to hold public office in Washington, D.C., smiles on May 31, 2024 after voting early in the district election. (Jenny Gathright/The Washington Post via Getty Images)

“I like to say that non-citizen voting is actually as American as apple pie. It’s been happening for centuries as part of the fabric of America,” Amene claimed in an interview with WUSA last week. “We pay taxes. I could be drafted, so I’m not really sure where the controversy is around. We can’t participate in federal elections. All we want to vote for is our ANCs and our council members.”

Another noncitizen voter, Shaghayegh Chris Rostampour, who moved to the U.S. from Iran in 2018 for graduate school at Brandeis University, and then moved to Washington, D.C., for work after that, argued that illegal immigrants who register to vote in local elections wouldn’t take the risk of breaking the law to vote at the federal level. 

Advertisement

“A person who is either a student and on a visa or on a work visa, or is on the path to citizenship or has applied for asylum or is undocumented, wouldn’t really risk registering it when it’s illegal to vote in federal elections and risk, everything that they’ve done, risk, all the sacrifices that they’ve made to cast a vote a ballot that would not be counted,” Rostampour said in an interview with WUSA.

At last week’s hearing, Steil argued that letting noncitizens vote in local elections will “continue to create challenges for states to maintain clean voter rolls.” The chairman said the committee discovered a week earlier that 137 noncitizens were on the voter roll in Ohio and cited how Virginia removed 1,481 noncitizens from their voter rolls in May 2023. 

Advertisement

Politics

Trump reads Bible as thousands pack National Mall for America 250 prayer rally

Published

on

Trump reads Bible as thousands pack National Mall for America 250 prayer rally

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Top Trump administration officials, Republican lawmakers and prominent Christian leaders gathered on the National Mall on Sunday for a massive prayer rally celebrating America’s upcoming 250th anniversary.

The event — “Rededicate 250: A National Jubilee of Prayer, Praise & Thanksgiving” — drew thousands for worship music, speeches and prayers focused on reaffirming the United States as “One Nation Under God.”

President Donald Trump, Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard and House Speaker Mike Johnson all addressed the gathering, alongside numerous other political and faith figures.

In a prerecorded message, Trump read from 2 Chronicles 7, reciting the well-known Bible verse calling on people to “humble themselves” and seek God.

Advertisement

TRUMP CALLS ON AMERICANS TO PRAY FOR NATION AS 250TH BIRTHDAY APPROACHES: ‘ONE NATION UNDER GOD’

Attendees watch a pre-recorded video of President Donald Trump reading from the Bible during “Rededicate 250” on the National Mall in Washington, DC, on May 17, 2026.  (Matthew Hatcher / AFP via Getty Images)

“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land,” Trump said.

Vance described the United States as “a nation of prayer,” saying faith has shaped the country since before its founding.

“In times of suffering and in times of triumph, millions of Americans continue to turn to prayer and their faith in God,” Vance said.

Advertisement

Rubio similarly tied America’s identity to Christianity.

“From the beginning, we have carried the belief that our country represents something new in the world,” Rubio said. “But the soul of our nation has always been rooted in an ancient faith.”

Gabbard urged Americans to humble themselves before God, saying the nation’s founders “knelt” and “asked for God’s mercy” before declaring independence.

FOR 2026, YOU SHOULD MAKE A RESOLUTION TO KNOW THE REVOLUTION

Johnson delivered a prayer of “rededication,” thanking God for guiding the nation since its founding.

Advertisement

“Heavenly Father, we thank you,” Johnson said. “Thank you so much for this great day that you’ve given us here, and we remember that your mighty hand has been upon our nation since the very beginning.”

Hegseth referenced George Washington’s faith, while Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., spoke about Christianity’s role in shaping the nation and argued prayer was central to the Civil Rights Movement.

Alveda King, niece of Martin Luther King Jr., praised Trump for encouraging Americans to “rededicate America to God.”

“This nation was founded on godly principles,” Alveda King told Fox News, adding that Martin Luther King Jr., “spoke to a crowd like this in 1963.”

Actor Jonathan Roumie, who portrays Jesus in “The Chosen,” also spoke at the event, encouraging Americans to recommit themselves to faith and prayer.

Advertisement

NEARLY 500 PUBLIC FIGURES FROM POLITICS TO HOLLYWOOD WILL READ BIBLE COVER TO COVER TO MARK AMERICA’S 250TH

House Speaker Mike Johnson delivers a prayer during “Rededicate 250” on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., on May 17, 2026. (Matthew Hatcher/AFP)

The event also featured appearances from Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Bishop Robert Barron, Rabbi Meir Soloveichik, evangelist Franklin Graham, along with performances from Grammy-winning Christian artist Chris Tomlin, among others.

Many attendees wore patriotic colors as they packed the National Mall.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

Freedom 250, the nonprofit behind the event, said the gathering is part of a broader effort leading up to America’s semiquincentennial celebration on July 4, 2026.

Fox News Digital’s Stephen Sorace and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

News Analysis: Trump spent two days with Xi in Beijing. Was he outplayed?

Published

on

News Analysis: Trump spent two days with Xi in Beijing. Was he outplayed?

As President Trump left Beijing on Friday, Chinese social media resurfaced a familiar nickname for the president — flattering at first glance — declaring that Chuan Jianguo, the “Nation Builder,” had returned.

It was not meant as a compliment. The nation he is building, according to the Chinese, is not the United States but their own, through a series of inadvertent yet costly mistakes inflicted by Trump at home and abroad.

  • Share via

    Advertisement

Advertisement

If the Chinese government was self-assured entering Trump’s summit with Xi Jinping, then the results of the state visit, in which Beijing refused to offer Trump any meaningful deals or concessions, signal their unmistakable confidence in American decline.

Chinese government statements in local media stating as much made their way back to Trump as he was departing, aggravating the president, a U.S. official said. But the White House secured a clarification from the Chinese that seemed to placate Trump. America was only declining under President Biden, they said — not anymore.

President Trump and President Xi Jinping tour Zhongnanhai Garden in Beijing

President Trump and President Xi Jinping tour Zhongnanhai Garden on Friday in Beijing.

(Evan Vucci / Pool via Getty Images)

The Trump administration argues the trip was a success, having secured the display of conciliation and partnership the president had sought after years of increasingly dangerous acrimony.

Advertisement

Foreign policy hawks on China will be displeased with his new direction of friendship and cooperation with a government they view as openly hostile to the United States. But Trump seems to have reached a similar conclusion as past administrations, that China might require a relationship in pursuit of, as Xi put it, “constructive strategic stability.”

Trump was notably out of character throughout his stay here, deferential to his host, marveling at displays of Chinese power and reticent to speak with the press.

Five times over two days, Trump referred to Xi as his friend, taking every public opportunity to offer his compliments and pats on the back. None of it was reciprocated. The Chinese leader, Trump told Fox News in an interview, was “all business” in private, as well, apparently uninterested in his overtures of personal goodwill.

Presidents Xi and Trump tour Zhongnanhai Garden.

Presidents Xi and Trump tour Zhongnanhai Garden on Friday.

(Evan Vucci—Pool/Getty Images)

Advertisement

The summit may ultimately be remembered as the moment when Trump recognized a shifting power dynamic, where an American president had the rare and uncomfortable experience of entering a meeting clearly overmatched.

“I think the most important thing is relationship,” Trump said in the interview, describing the summit as “historic.”

“It’s all about relationship,” he added. “I have a very good relationship with President Xi.”

Taiwan was discussed ‘the whole night’

Little of substance was accomplished over two days of talks. But Chinese officials expected no less after warning Trump’s team before the summit that its minimal preparation had failed to lay the groundwork for diplomatic agreements.

Still, the lack of breakthroughs may come as a relief to some in Washington. Trump appears to have held to a long-standing U.S. line on Taiwan, for now, refusing to provide Xi with clarity on whether the United States would defend the self-ruled island if China tries to reclaim it by force.

Advertisement

The two men discussed the matter “the whole night,” Trump told Fox.

If China attacked, “they would be met harshly, and bad things will happen,” Trump said. Yet within the same answer, he questioned Taiwan’s “odds” against China if war were to break out, even with U.S. help, noting its proximity to the Chinese mainland and its vast distance away from the United States.

Whether Trump will proceed with arms sales to Taiwan — passed by Congress and obligated by law under the Taiwan Relations Act — is still an open question.

“If you kept it the way it is, I think China is going to be OK with that,” Trump said, referencing an ambiguous status quo around Taiwan’s status, “but we’re not looking to have somebody say, ‘Let’s go independent because the United States is backing us.’ ”

“Taiwan would be very smart to cool it a little bit,” he added. “China would be smart to cool it a little bit. They ought to both cool it.”

Advertisement
President Trump departs as President Xi looks on after a visit to Zhongnanhai Garden on Friday.

President Trump departs as President Xi looks on after a visit to Zhongnanhai Garden on Friday.

(Evan Vucci/ Pool via Getty Images)

Curious company

Trump’s choice of company in the U.S. delegation left the Chinese with questions over the purpose of the trip.

Lara Trump, a Fox News host and the president’s daughter-in-law, attended alongside her husband, Eric Trump, whose presence as a private citizen running the Trump Organization was a direct appeal to Beijing to treat the administration like a family business. Brett Ratner, director of the “Rush Hour” series and a documentary on the first lady that bombed at the box office, was given prime placement along with America’s top business leaders.

The last time a secretary of Defense attended a presidential state visit to China was on Richard Nixon’s famous trip in 1972. Chinese officials were unsure what to make of Pete Hegseth’s presence — whether it was meant to convey a softer stance, a hardening one, or simply an ignorance of basic diplomatic protocol.

Advertisement

Trump said he felt personally honored by the lavish welcome he received on the edge of Tiananmen Square, outside the Great Hall of the People, where China hosts all visiting dignitaries.

Before a lunch at Zhongnanhai, the secretive headquarters of the Chinese Communist Party, Trump asked Xi if he was special for getting to visit the compound. He was the fourth U.S. president to do so.

While the Trump administration offered itself glowing reviews of the outcome of the summit, the Chinese government offered little to say as he departed. And Chinese media highlighted Beijing’s resolute stance on American priorities — from trade to the Iran war — as evidence of Chinese confidence and American decline.

But all that business wasn’t the point of the trip, Trump told Fox’s Bret Baier. For the president, it was all personal.

“I want to thank President Xi, my friend, for this magnificent welcome,” Trump said in his toast at the state banquet, repeating the personal overture. “The American and Chinese people share much in common. We value hard work. We value courage and achievement. We love our families and we love our countries.

Advertisement

“Together, we have the chance to draw on these values to create a future of greater prosperity, cooperation and happiness and peace for our children,” Trump added. “We love our children. This region and the world — it’s a special world, with the two of us united and together.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Video: Cassidy Loses Primary After Drawing Trump’s Ire

Published

on

Video: Cassidy Loses Primary After Drawing Trump’s Ire

new video loaded: Cassidy Loses Primary After Drawing Trump’s Ire

transcript

transcript

Cassidy Loses Primary After Drawing Trump’s Ire

Republican Senator Bill Cassidy lost his Louisiana primary on Saturday after President Trump targeted him for voting to impeach him in 2021. The two-term senator took veiled swipes at the president in his concession speech.

Thank you, Louisiana! I want to say thank you to a very special man who you all know, the best president this country has ever had, President Donald Trump. I’ve been able to participate in democracy. And when you participate in democracy, sometimes it doesn’t turn out the way you want it to. But you don’t pout. You don’t whine. You don’t claim the election was stolen. Our country is not about one individual. It is about the welfare of all Americans, and it is about our Constitution. And if someone doesn’t understand that and attempts to control others through using the levers of power, they are about serving themselves. They’re not about serving us.”

Advertisement
Republican Senator Bill Cassidy lost his Louisiana primary on Saturday after President Trump targeted him for voting to impeach him in 2021. The two-term senator took veiled swipes at the president in his concession speech.

By Cynthia Silva

May 17, 2026

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending