New York
Man Sentenced to 115 Years for Killing N.Y.P.D. Officer in Queens
A man was sentenced to 115 years in prison on Monday for the fatal shooting of a New York City police officer who had ordered him to step out of a car in Queens in 2024.
More than 200 people, mostly police officers, packed a courtroom in State Supreme Court in Queens to hear Justice Michael Aloise sentence Guy Rivera in the killing of Jonathan Diller, 31, who was promoted to the rank of detective after his death.
“It took me five minutes to calculate these numbers,” Justice Aloise said. “It’s going to take you a lifetime to calculate the damage you did and the grief that you caused.”
He said that Mr. Rivera had determined his own fate “the second you pulled that trigger.”
Detective Diller’s wife, Stephanie, who sat among the officers in the courtroom, read a statement in court just before the sentencing, speaking of the pain and loss that she and her son, Ryan, now 3, have suffered. Ms. Diller, who testified during the trial, spoke directly to Mr. Rivera as he sat at the defense table.
“This is the last moment I will allow you to take from me,” she said as tears rolled down her cheeks. “You took my husband, Jonathan. You took the future we planned together. The life we were building, the years we were supposed to share together.”
“What you did to Jonathan” she said, “gave me and our son a life sentence without him.”
A jury found Mr. Rivera, 36, guilty earlier this month on four charges, including aggravated manslaughter, in Detective Diller’s death, but acquitted him of the most serious charge, first-degree murder. The decision, after a three-week trial in Queens, stunned the dozens of police officers present when it was announced in the courtroom on April 1.
To find him guilty of murder, the jury had to decide whether they believed Mr. Rivera had intended to kill Detective Diller when he pointed his gun at him in the Far Rockaway section of Queens on March 25, 2024. They ultimately determined that Mr. Rivera had intentionally pulled the trigger, but did not intend to kill him.
Mr. Rivera did not speak at his sentencing at the advice of one of his lawyers, Jamal Johnson, who told Justice Aloise they would appeal the conviction.
Mr. Johnson, a lawyer with the Legal Aid Society, said after the hearing that Justice Aloise’s statement at sentencing showed the court “had already made up its mind about sentencing well before the trial was conducted.”
During the trial, prosecutors said that before the fatal shooting, Detective Diller’s partner, Sgt. Sasha Rosen, saw Mr. Rivera and another man, Lindy Jones, come out of a store and get into a car. Mr. Rivera had an L-shaped object in the pocket of his sweatshirt that resembled a firearm, prosecutors said.
Detective Diller approached the vehicle and asked Mr. Rivera repeatedly to comply with orders. When he did not, Sergeant Rosen reached in to pull him out of the car.
Then Mr. Rivera fired, the jury found. The defense argued that Mr. Rivera’s gun went off accidentally when Sergeant Rosen pulled him out, striking Detective Diller. Prosecutors said Mr. Rivera then turned his gun on Sergeant Rosen, but the weapon jammed.
Justice Aloise did not allow the jury to see video that, the defense contended, showed Mr. Rivera’s arm was broken during his confrontation with the police.
That evidence would have directly undermined the prosecution’s contention that Mr. Rivera was physically able to pull the trigger when he tried to shoot Sergeant Rosen, they said.
In all, Mr. Rivera was sentenced to 25 years to life for the aggravated manslaughter conviction; 40 years to life for the attempted murder of Sergeant Rosen; and 25 years to life for each of the gun possession counts. He was ordered to serve those sentences consecutively.
.
On Monday, after the sentencing, dozens of police officers smiled and embraced one another as they left the courtroom. The prosecutors who tried the case and Melinda Katz, the Queens district attorney, hugged several of Detective Diller’s family members.
Jessica Tisch, the police commissioner, called the sentence “obviously the right result, for him and for anyone who kills a New York City police officer.”
Outside the courthouse, members of the Police Benevolent Association, the police officers’ union, said they were pleased with the sentence.
“The verdict in this case did not send the right message to the Diller family and every police officer who wears the uniform,” said Patrick Hendry, the union president, who spoke at the foot of the courthouse stairwell, backed by nearly 100 police officers.
“But this sentence,” he said, “it sent the right message.”
New York
Read the complaint filed against a top militia commander linked to Iran.
COUNT TWO
(Conspiracy to Provide Material Support to a Foreign Terrorist Organization)
3.
From at least in or about 2019, up to and including the date of this Complaint, in an offense begun and committed out of the jurisdiction of any particular State or district of the United States, MOHAMMAD BAQER SAAD DAWOOD AL-SAADI, the defendant, and others known and unknown, at least one of whom is expected to be first brought to and arrested in the Southern District of New York, knowingly and intentionally combined, conspired, confederated, and agreed together and with each other to provide “material support or resources,” as that term is defined in Title 18, United States Code, Section 2339A(b)(1), to a FTO, namely, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (“IRGC”), which was designated by the U.S. Secretary of State as a foreign terrorist organization on or about April 15, 2019, and is currently designated as such as of the date of the filing of this Complaint.
4. It was a part and an object of the conspiracy that MOHAMMAD BAQER SAAD DAWOOD AL-SAADI, the defendant, and others known and unknown, would and did knowingly provide the IRGC with material support and resources, including property, services, lodging, weapons, personnel, training, facilities, explosives, and transportation, knowing that the IRGC was a designated terrorist organization (as defined in Title 18, United States Code, Section 2339B(g)(6)), that the IRGC s engages and has engaged in terrorist activity (as defined in Section 212(a)(3)(B) of the Immigration and Nationality Act), and that the IRGC engages and has engaged in terrorism (as defined in Section 140(d)(2) of the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1988 and 1989), in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 2339B.
(Title 18, United States Code, Sections 2339B(a)(1), (d)(1)(C), (d)(1)(D), (d)(1)(E), and (d)(1)(F), and 3238.)
COUNT THREE
(Conspiracy to Provide Material Support for Acts of Terrorism)
5.
From at least on or about February 28, 2026, up to and including the date of this Complaint, in an offense begun and committed out of the jurisdiction of any particular State or district of the United States, MOHAMMAD BAQER SAAD DAWOOD AL-SAADI, the defendant, and others known and unknown, at least one of whom is expected to be first brought to and arrested in the Southern District of New York, knowingly and intentionally combined, conspired, confederated, and agreed together and with each other to provide “material support or resources,” as that term is defined in Title 18, United States Code, Section 2339A(b)(1), including property, services, lodging, weapons, personnel, training, facilities, explosives, and transportation, knowing and intending that they were to be used in preparation for and in carrying out one or more of the following violations of Title 18, United States Code: (a) attempting and conspiring to murder nationals of the United States, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 2332(b), and (b) bombing and conspiring to bomb a place of public use, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 2332f.
(Title 18, United States Code, Sections 2339A and 3238.)
2
New York
Video: Debris Falls Onto Car on Busy New York City Highway
new video loaded: Debris Falls Onto Car on Busy New York City Highway
May 15, 2026
Watch Today’s Videos
Debris From Overpass Strikes Car on Busy N.Y.C. Road
0:19
Judge Releases Suicide Note Said to Be Epstein’s
0:46
Highlights From the Met Gala
1:09
New York’s Plan to Slow Down Reckless Drivers
2:26
King and Queen Spend a Day in New York
1:15
The M.T.A. Is Updating How It Powers the Subway
2:49
Today’s Videos
U.S.
Politics
Immigration
NY Region
Science
Business
Culture
Books
Wellness
World
Africa
Americas
Asia
South Asia
Donald Trump
Middle East Crisis
Russia-Ukraine Crisis
Visual Investigations
Opinion Video
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT
New York
Video: Long Island Rail Road Service Suspended as Workers Strike
new video loaded: Long Island Rail Road Service Suspended as Workers Strike
transcript
transcript
Long Island Rail Road Service Suspended as Workers Strike
For the first time in over 30 years, thousands of workers walked off the job, halting service on the Long Island Rail Road, the country’s busiest passenger rail service.
-
“What do we want?” “Contracts!” “I feel terrible. Terrible. This is going to hurt. This is going to hurt the island. This is going to hurt the city. They think they can push us around. And we’re supposed to just fall in line. Alls we’re asking for is fair wages. Record inflation in the last few years. Our contract goes back three years. It’s not going forward. So, we went through those record inflationary years and they’re trying to lowball us.” “Their strategy is to inconvenience Long Islanders to try to force the M.T.A. and the state to do a bad deal.” “What do we want?” “Contracts!” “When do we want it?” “Now!”
By Cynthia Silva
May 16, 2026
-
New York1 hour agoRead the complaint filed against a top militia commander linked to Iran.
-
Los Angeles, Ca1 hour agoLong Beach man arrested for murder in deadly hit-and-run crash
-
Detroit, MI2 hours agoPistons’ playoff run ends in Game 7 blowout to Cavaliers
-
San Francisco, CA2 hours agoSan Mateo supervisor urges CDC to step up protections amid hantavirus outbreak
-
Dallas, TX2 hours agoThe art of showing up: how two Dallas women paint a new vision for relief
-
Miami, FL2 hours agoMessi’s goal, assist lead Inter Miami to 2-0 win over Portland and first at new stadium
-
Boston, MA2 hours agoFire breaks out at East Boston home, spreads to neighboring buildings
-
Denver, CO2 hours agoNuggets’ Nikola Jokic finishes 2nd in MVP voting; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander repeats