Connect with us

New Jersey

“Lost Control”: US Drone Pilot Describes Encounter With New Jersey UFO

Published

on

“Lost Control”: US Drone Pilot Describes Encounter With New Jersey UFO


A drone pilot from New Jersey claims his device lost power and had to descend from restricted airspace, while the mystery flier he was attempting to examine managed to stay in the air despite a signal intended to disable it. The incident took place near the Picatinny Arsenal, a military facility in the state that has recently been the site of many unexplained drone sightings.

Michael B, a paranormal investigator and podcaster behind the YouTube channel, Terror Talk Productions, was probing a mysterious object he believed was another drone when his device malfunctioned. Speaking to FOX 5 New York, he said, “There was a drone just hanging out. I had full battery life. Not 3 minutes into the flight, I lost control of the drone.”

Michael B added he was flying his drone near Picatinny Arsenal when a warning flashed across his screen, and the battery died suddenly. “Drone started going down. Dead battery,” he said. Despite his drone descending, the unknown device he was investigating remained airborne, raising further questions about the incident.

Advertisement

Although it’s common for GPS-enabled drones to be grounded or forced to land if they enter restricted airspace, the exact circumstances surrounding the mysterious drone remain unclear. The area around Picatinny Arsenal has seen a rise in reported drone sightings, prompting an official investigation.

An army spokesperson confirmed that a temporary flight restriction had been enacted over Picatinny Arsenal, effective until December 26, following the recent spate of drone activity. In response to the sightings, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is also investigating, and additional flight restrictions have been imposed over nearby areas, including the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster.

The mystery surrounding the drones has sparked public concern. New Jersey State Senator Joe Pennacchio recently called for a federal investigation and even sent a letter to President-elect Donald Trump, expressing frustration over the lack of answers.

Despite regulations designed to prevent drones from flying into restricted zones, experts suggest that some drones may have been tampered with or hacked to bypass such restrictions. A few days ago, federal authorities filed charges against a Chinese national for using a modified drone to take photos of Vandenberg Space Force Base, raising further concerns about drone security.

Even as the origins of the drones over New Jersey remain a mystery, John Kirby, White House national security communications adviser, said, “Upon review of available imagery, it appears that many of the reported sightings are manned aircraft that are being operated lawfully.”

Advertisement

Amid all this, Laura Ballman, a former CIA operations officer, speculated on Fox News Live that the unidentified drones might be part of a secretive technology test aimed at detecting or avoiding detection.




Source link

New Jersey

NJ Transit Memorial Day weekend schedules and discounts offered

Published

on

NJ Transit Memorial Day weekend schedules and discounts offered



Two-minute read

play

  • NJ Transit is offering deals and increasing services for the Memorial Day weekend.
  • The Family SuperSaver Fare allows two children 11 and under to ride free with a paying adult.
  • Rail, light rail, and bus services will operate on modified schedules throughout the holiday weekend.

Want to save on gas and avoid Memorial Day weekend traffic? NJ Transit is offering deals and increasing services on certain trains and buses.

With the Family SuperSaver Fare, two kids 11 and under can ride for free with each fare-paying adult. The program, which is valid every weekend, is extended to accommodate early getaways this Memorial Day weekend. It begins Friday, May 22 at 7 p.m. and ends Tuesday, May 26 at 6 a.m. 

Rail, light rail and buses will operate on a modified schedule. 

Advertisement

Rail

Extra outbound trains on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, Raritan Valley, Morris and Essex and Port Jervis lines will run on Friday from 2 to 4 p.m. After 4 p.m., certain Northeast Corridor, New Jersey Coast and Raritan Valley lines will be canceled or combined, according to an NJ Transit press release. 

On Saturday, Sunday and Monday, trains will run on a regular weekend schedule. The Bay Head-Long Branch shuttle will increase to hourly services from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. 

Buses

On Friday starting at 12 p.m., certain bus routes will run extra buses from Port Authority Bus Terminal, while other routes will be cancelled. 

Advertisement

The full list of holiday weekend modifications can be found by visiting NJ Transit’s Holiday Service Guide: njtransit.com/holiday-service-guide.

On Saturday and Sunday, buses will operate on regular weekend schedules, but on Monday, bus schedules will vary in accordance with the Holiday Service Guide. NJ Transit advises passengers that routes will be subjected to detours and delays due to Memorial Day parades happening in different municipalities.  

Light rail

The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will run on a weekend schedule from Saturday to Monday. 

Advertisement

The Newark Light Rail will run on its Saturday schedule on Saturday, its Sunday schedule on Sunday and its Saturday schedule on Monday.

The River Line will run on its Saturday schedule on Saturday, its Sunday schedule on Sunday and its Sunday schedule on Monday.

NJ Transit encourages travelers to check timetables in advance and to plan extra time for traveling. 

Real time bus and train departures can be tracked on NJ Transit’s app. Notifications for delays can be found on X, formerly known as Twitter. 

Olivia Liu is a reporter covering transportation, Red Bank and western Monmouth County. She can be reached at oliu@gannett.com.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

New Jersey

Anyone have earthquake FOMO after small tremor hit NJ on Tuesday?

Published

on

Anyone have earthquake FOMO after small tremor hit NJ on Tuesday?


A small earthquake hit New Jersey Tuesday afternoon and I knew nothing. It happened about 1:30pm when a magnitude 1.8 tremor centered around a mile southeast of Long Valley in Washington Township hit a little over 3 miles below ground. That’s in Morris County.

It shook some buildings there, and the U. S. Geological Survey received 55 reports from folks in Morris County, Hunterdon County, Somerset County, and Essex County.

Map shows where earthquake was centered on Tuesday. May 19, 2026

Map shows where earthquake was centered on Tuesday. May 19, 2026 (USGS)

Where I was in Mercer County? Nothing. Squat. Nada.

To be honest, the only one I ever felt in New Jersey was several years ago. It was April 5, 2024 when a 4.8 quake hit Tewksbury, New Jersey and was felt from Virginia to Maine. But for being felt so far and wide it did very little actual damage.

Advertisement

I was living in Flemington at the time and was on the second floor of my home when it struck at 10:23 in the morning. It felt like both a jarring and swaying simultaneously almost as if a truck had hit the house.

Mario Tama | Staff | Getty Images

Mario Tama | Staff | Getty Images

Now that was exciting. It was the talk of the day. I felt part of something. A communal experience.

Years before a quake hit New Jersey when I was inside the radio station and it was the opposite experience. The part of the building I was in felt nothing. Zero. But the other end of the building? Everyone felt it.

Co-workers ran around excitedly asking each other if they felt it, was it a quake, etc.. Simply put, it was a party I wasn’t invited to.

As has been every other New Jersey quake. Talk about fear of missing out. Even in 1994 when I had been living in Southern California and the great Northridge quake hit, I had just moved out a scant number of days before taking a job in Jersey.

Advertisement

George Frey | Stringer | Getty Images

George Frey | Stringer | Getty Images

I missed that excitement too. But probably for the better, I admit, because it was a 6.7 that killed 60 people and injured thousands. Numerous buildings were destroyed or damaged to the tune of billions of dollars.

As scary as that is, and as lucky as I was to have missed it by just a week, there was still this feeling of a monumental community event that I was cut off from. Again, FOMO.

I should feel happy to have missed it, but don’t we all crave drama just a little? Be careful what we wish for I suppose.

Don’t get fooled: Here’s 25 scam texts I received in just one month

Yes, some of these may be humorous, but some do appear legit and often can fool you.

Advertisement

Spam texts are listed in the same order that they were received.

Gallery Credit: Mike Brant

Opinions expressed in the post above are those of New Jersey 101.5 talk show host Jeff Deminski only.

Report a correction 👈

POP QUIZ: Can you guess these NJ landmarks from Google Earth images?

Gallery Credit: Dan Zarrow

Advertisement

A tornado’s rapidly approaching – what should you do?

Gallery Credit: Sophia Laico





Source link

Continue Reading

New Jersey

New NJ art exhibit from Israel honors young women who fought Hamas

Published

on

New NJ art exhibit from Israel honors young women who fought Hamas



“Heroines of October 7” opened on May 17.

play

The artwork at the newly opened Paramus exhibition is haunting: A painting depicts three figures running as bombs explode around them. Another shows an anguished face and pair of hands pushing something or someone away against a backdrop of fire and blood.

Then there are the portraits of the young women. They were soldiers, police officers and civilians who bravely stood up to terrorists on Israel’s deadliest day, when Hamas stormed the country’s borders on Oct. 7, 2023, killing 1,200 people and taking 251 more hostage.

It is all part of “Heroines of October 7,” an art exhibition that pays tribute to women who acted with bravery to defend their communities even as they were outgunned and outnumbered.

There are paintings and statues made with embroidery, metal and wood. Among them is a piece portraying six of the kidnapped women. Another is a life-size sculpture of a female soldier holding flowers. The exhibit runs through May 29 at the Paramus headquarters of Jewish Federation of Northern New Jersey. The exhibit is open to the public, but reservations must be made in advance.

While other traveling exhibitions reflect on that day and memorialize the victims, this is the sole homage to women who helped save their colleagues and communities, said organizers.

Advertisement

This exhibit was the brainchild of curator and historian Yael Nitzan, who is also the founder of a museum in Haifa devoted to Israeli women, which will open next year. Nitzan said she wanted to create a space where the women who did extraordinary deeds that day could be honored.

“It’s very special to have them altogether in one exhibit,” she said. “I want everyone to know about them. It’s very inspiring.”

The Paramus event marks the American debut of this exhibit, which has been showcased in several Israeli cities. The installation highlights 50 women, “but we are hearing about new stories every day and we’re adding to it all the time,” Nitzan said.

Many of the visitors who came from around North Jersey to browse the installation at its May 17 opening were clearly moved.

Advertisement

“What strikes me is the age of these girls,” Laurie Bader of Englewood said as she examined the stories of the young women that accompanied their portraits. “A lot of them were just kids … it’s heartbreaking to learn about what they went through, sacrificing their lives in such a tragic way. They fought heroically to protect others.”

Nina Kampler of Teaneck stopped short when she reached a rocket that had been colorfully painted with the image of a young woman. “This is strikingly different than the other pieces,” she said. “It makes it all very real and makes you realize you aren’t just seeing pictures, but people who were killed. It contextualizes everything. This was a real rocket and a brutal attack designed to kill.”

The exhibit came about after Jason Shames, CEO of Jewish Federation, saw it in Nahariya, the federation’s sister city in northern Israel, and was so moved he opted to bring it to New Jersey.

“It’s a powerful tribute to the extraordinary courage of women” who “stood on the front lines of danger — protecting others, safeguarding Israel and, in many cases, making the ultimate sacrifice,” he said.

Advertisement

Zehava Ben Simon flew in from Israel to speak to the crowd about her daughter, Adar Ben Simon, whose image was included in the exhibit. Adar was a 20-year-old platoon leader who ordered her trainees on the base to seek shelter while she ran to the front lines to fight the invaders. She was ultimately killed by the terrorists, but she succeeded in saving the lives of 120 young people.

Her story is more than a war story, Ben Simon said. “It’s a story of her love for her people,” she said.

Eyal Eshel, the father of Sgt. Roni Eshel, who was also featured in the exhibit, spoke to the crowd as well. Roni, 19, was a surveillance observer on duty in the operations room in southern Israel when the attack began, he said.

She was among the first observers to “identify the terrorists crossing into Israel” that morning. “She warned everyone” he said. “She shouted. She tried to save lives until the very last moment. She remained at her post for hours that day, providing data to help direct forces.”

Advertisement

Roni was burned alive by Hamas inside the command room, along with 16 other girls, her father said.

“These young women were not political, they were not famous leaders, they were daughter, sisters, friends, young women with dreams, plans and a future that should have been waiting for them. Yet in their final moments they showed unimaginable courage,” Eyal Eshel said.

The exhibition is not only about tragedy, he said. “It’s about heroism. It’s about memory. It is about our responsibility in Israel, in America and everywhere to make sure these voices are never forgotten.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending