Connect with us

New Jersey

Bob Menendez trial exposes weird quirks held by New Jersey senator – Washington Examiner

Published

on

Bob Menendez trial exposes weird quirks held by New Jersey senator – Washington Examiner


Sen. Bob Menendez’s (D-NJ) bribery and corruption trial has not only exposed the seedy side of politics but has also highlighted some quirks held by the once-powerful Democratic senator and his wife, Nadine.

Both are accused of accepting bribes from three New Jersey businessmen in the form of 13 gold bars, a Mercedes-Benz convertible, and $500,000 in cash. In exchange, federal prosecutors allege Menendez greased the wheels in deals that benefited co-defendants Wael Hana and Fred Daibes.

Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ) leaves the Manhattan federal court after the second day of jury selection in his trial on Tuesday, May 14, 2024, in New York. The Democrat has pleaded not guilty to bribery, extortion, fraud, and obstruction of justice, along with acting as a foreign agent of Egypt. (AP Photo/Stefan Jeremiah)

A third businessman, Jose Uribe, has already pleaded guilty and is expected to be sentenced Friday.

He testified that he offered to buy Nadine Menendez a car in exchange for the sitting senator to make fraud investigations into his family and friend’s insurance businesses go away.

Advertisement

Uribe spent four days on the stand and lifted the veil on some of the Menendez family quirks, including the senator ringing a small silver bell to summon his wife of two years and the couple’s penchant for hoarding gold bars. 

Menendez, Hana, and Daibes have all pleaded not guilty and are on trial together. Nadine Menendez was supposed to be tried alongside her husband but had her court date pushed back to at least August following a cancer diagnosis that required immediate medical attention.

The trial taking place in a Manhattan federal courtroom isn’t Menendez’s first rodeo.

In 2017, he dodged conviction on a laundry list of other corruption charges. That trial also revealed some oddities surrounding the senator who was forced last year to resign as head of the powerful Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Here is a list of just a few of those learned over the course of two federal corruption trials.

Advertisement

The bell

On his third day on the stand, Uribe testified that he had been trying to score a sit-down with the senator for months and, after much wrangling, finally had a face-to-face in September 2019.

Uribe and Menendez were seated outside at a patio table in the backyard of Nadine Menendez’s New Jersey home. After a brief chat, the senator allegedly asked Uribe for the names of the people who were being targeted by investigators, Uribe said.

Menendez realized he had nothing to write on and rang a tiny bell on the table that summoned his wife, who appeared from inside the home with paper. Uribe scribbled down the details and handed over the paper to the senator.

At trial, Menendez’s lawyer, Adam Fee, took issue with the bell, grilling Uribe over how it looked, sounded, and if it even existed. Fee told jurors Uribe stopped at a bar before the meeting, had been known to use Xanax without a prescription, and got Uribe to admit he couldn’t remember if Nadine Menendez brought the paper immediately or if she came out and then went back inside to get it.

Fee also asked Uribe if he shared the “super weird” incident with anyone before he became the government’s star witness against Menendez.

Advertisement

Fee also suggested that prosecutors pushed back on the bell story but Uribe didn’t back down. After Uribe finished his testimony, prosecutors called a paralegal to read two text messages Nadine Menendez sent to someone saying she was “looking for the perfect bell.”

‘Mon amour’

Uribe also said the senator called out, “Mon amour, mon amour, please come here,” before ringing the bell to summon Nadine Menendez, who was his then-girlfriend.

The scene he painted could have been one out of a mob movie. Uribe said the senator was drinking a glass of Grand Marnier and smoking a cigar when he rang the bell for her.

After she rushed in, he asked for paper. Uribe wrote down the names of people being investigated, Menendez took a puff from his cigar, folded the piece of paper with the names, and put it into his pants pocket.

The bell and the “mon amour” underscored the peculiar relationship between the now-married couple.

Advertisement

Menendez’s defense strategy has largely been to blame his wife. His lawyers claim he was lovestruck and didn’t know what she was up to.

Morton’s

FBI investigative specialist Terry Thompson testified that she was eavesdropping on one of Menendez’s frequent dinners at the uber-expensive Morton’s steakhouse in Washington when she heard Nadine Menendez tell an unidentified diner, “What else can the love of my life do for you?”

Menendez is infamous for holding court at the steakhouse, where a 16-ounce New York strip steak goes for $64, and billing it to his political action committee.

Menendez has spent almost $40,000 at Morton’s, according to Federal Election Commission filings. Since 2003, he’s spent $386,000 at Morton’s for meals, catering, and fundraising events.

Before the jury was even seated in his trial, his attorney argued that prosecutors were unfairly painting the dinner as something nefarious. Instead, they argued that the upscale hot spot was his local haunt and that he goes there 250 nights out of the year.

Advertisement

“There is nothing unusual about having dinner there with a diplomat or with a friend,” Fee told Judge Sidney Stein.

Prosecutors argued that just because Menendez went there a lot, it didn’t mean all the dinners were above board.

Gold bars

Investigators found more than a dozen gold bars during a June 2022 search of Menendez’s home.

Menendez claimed he had them because his Cuban heritage has given him PTSD. Specifically, he suffered from “intergenerational post-traumatic stress disorder” because of his parents’ experience in Cuba, with confiscated property, before he was born.

He also said they were tied to his father’s death.

Advertisement

Menendez “experienced trauma when his father, a compulsive gambler, died by suicide after Senator Menendez eventually decided to discontinue paying off his father’s gambling debts,” a court filing reads.

The senator, after charges were filed against him last year, said stashing gold bars and cash was common among immigrant families in case of “emergencies.”

Juror talks

At Menendez’s first trial in 2017, juror Evelyn Arroyo-Maultsby told the judge in August that she had a long-scheduled family vacation to the Bahamas in mid-November. The judge told her she could go if the trial was still going on, which it was, and he excused her.

Arroyo-Maultsby promptly left the courtroom and told reporters what had been happening inside the secret jury room.

A year later, Arroyo-Maultsby showed up at a Menendez political rally and then again at his election night victory party.

Advertisement

“I never really knew anything about him before the trial,” she told Northjersey.com. “He’s a good man. I was in that jury room, and I know he didn’t do anything wrong.”

CLICK HERE FOR MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

Menendez was accused of using his power to help South Florida doctor Salomon Melgen obtain visas for his foreign girlfriends. Prosecutors also alleged the senator intervened in a port security contract in the Dominican Republic and a multimillion-dollar Medicare dispute.

Melgen was sentenced to 17 years in prison. Former President Donald Trump pardoned him and commuted his sentence in what federal prosecutors called one of the biggest Medicare fraud cases in U.S. history.



Source link

Advertisement

New Jersey

Why the Brooklyn Nets Need to Start Embracing Their New Jersey Roots More

Published

on

Why the Brooklyn Nets Need to Start Embracing Their New Jersey Roots More


It’s been nearly a decade and a half since the Brooklyn Nets moved out of New Jersey.

The organization has completely revamped its vibe since switching states, ditching the red, white and blue look for a very basic black and white colorway.

The Nets have also intermittently changed the colors of the banners hanging up in the Barclays Center from red, white and blue to black and white, much to the chagrin of traditional Nets fans.

Advertisement

Despite the Nets now playing in a bigger market and being far removed from their days in the Garden State, some fans seem to hope for the Nets to make their return across the river. New Jersey governor Mikie Sherrill was asked about the matter.

Advertisement

“I mean, would I support it? I ask about it all the time,” Sherrill said. “I love the idea. So, I have been pressing for that. I haven’t made a lot of headway yet; you know, maybe in my second 100 days.

“But I do think there is some work being done for some — I don’t know if I’m allowed to say too much about it — but some people are working on some different sports coming into the Rock.”

As time went on, the Nets eventually started to embrace more of their New Jersey roots, which started when they rocked a clean tie-dye jersey from the 90s during the 2020-21 season.

The next season, the Nets followed it up with uniforms commemorating their run in the 2000s, when the team got to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003 and endlessly broke the ESPN top 10 with each crazy Jason Kidd assist and Vince Carter dunk.

Advertisement

Apr 25, 2022; Brooklyn, New York, USA; Brooklyn Nets guard Kyrie Irving (11) and forward Kevin Durant (7) drop back on defense during the second quarter of game four of the first round of the 2022 NBA playoffs against the Boston Celtics at Barclays Center. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-Imagn Images | Brad Penner-Imagn Images

It’s fitting that Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving, the latter of whom grew up in New Jersey as a Nets fan, got to rock these uniforms, helping boost the popularity of the New Jersey brand to a wide array of fans.

True Nets fans embraced the Continental Airlines Arena/Izod Center and the swamps of East Rutherford, getting to witness a winning basketball team for a fraction of the cost of the team mired in dysfunction that happened to play their home games at “The World’s Most Famous Arena.”

Advertisement

Not many marquee free agents would have signed up to play in New Jersey, but real fans remember the good times in the swamps, especially with Sly the Fox as the team’s mascot. Those times deserve to be remembered properly.

Advertisement
Add us as a preferred source on Google



Source link

Continue Reading

New Jersey

Travelers hit the road to the Jersey Shore despite dreary Memorial Day weekend forecast

Published

on

Travelers hit the road to the Jersey Shore despite dreary Memorial Day weekend forecast


ATLANTIC COUNTY, N.J. (WPVI) — Drivers heading to the shore on Friday afternoon saw slow-moving traffic for several miles coming off the Walt Whitman bridge, but many travelers said the start of the holiday weekend was smoother than they anticipated.

Aldara Madden, who was traveling with her friend Elana Maser, said the trip moved faster than she expected.

“I was expecting it to take a lot longer,” she said.

Maser added that they left school early to avoid delays.

Advertisement

“My mom and I do that every year and then we always stop here as our little pre-down the shore,” she said.

Others shared similar experiences.

“I’m coming from Bucks County, so I was worried there was gonna be some traffic but it really wasn’t bad at all,” said Erin McFadden of Churchville, who was headed to Ocean City.

AAA reported that while slightly more people are traveling by car this year compared to last, 2026 is projected to have the lowest year-over-year travel growth rate in more than a decade, excluding the steep drop seen in 2020 during the pandemic.

The organization attributes the slowdown largely to concerns over rising prices.

Advertisement

“Gas is ridiculously expensive and I think all the time before going anywhere these days,” said Debbie Maser of Philadelphia. “But this is our happy place and nothing can keep us away.”

A dreary weekend forecast may also be influencing travel patterns.

“I was thinking that, I wonder if there’ll be less congestion on the roads because of the weather,” said Kyra Wolin of Massachusetts. “It’s not looking to be too good this weekend with the rain.”

Still, many shore-bound travelers said tradition outweighs any concerns about rain or crowds.

“No not at all. You go down. You get it done,” said George Miller of Lansdale.

Advertisement

Eric Wolin of Massachusetts agreed: “Never, never. Margate’s a special place for us.”

As the unofficial start of summer begins, travelers said they remain committed to kicking off the season in their favorite spots, not letting rain, traffic, or high prices keep them away.

Copyright © 2026 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

New Jersey

New Jersey drought warning persists into summer months

Published

on

New Jersey drought warning persists into summer months


This story is part of the WHYY News Climate Desk, bringing you news and solutions for our changing region.

From the Poconos to the Jersey Shore to the mouth of the Delaware Bay, what do you want to know about climate change? What would you like us to cover? Get in touch.


As summer begins, New Jersey Gov. Mikie Sherrill is urging residents to limit lawn watering, and hand water flowers and shrubs as a drought warning continues. The warning, in place since December 2025, could turn into a drought emergency if conditions do not improve. The state has suffered eight consecutive months of below-normal rainfall, according to officials.

“New Jersey is experiencing a chronic water supply drought, the scale of which we haven’t seen in more than twenty years,” state geologist Steven Domber said in a statement issued earlier this month. “The indicators that we track closely are showing persistently dry conditions. With uncertainty for rainfall in the coming months, we need residents to conserve water today, to ensure we have enough to sustain our needs over the summer.”

Advertisement

The Department of Environmental Protection uses a variety of indicators to determine drought levels, including precipitation, stream flows, reservoir levels, ground water levels and demand.

In addition to the last two months, officials say, the state “experienced below normal precipitation for 20 of the last 24 months since September 2024,” despite heavy snowfall events this past winter that helped restore reservoirs in North Jersey.

“While we saw a little relief over the winter, New Jersey is feeling the effects of nearly two years of below-normal precipitation,” Sherrill said in a statement earlier this month. She urged residents to voluntarily conserve water.

New Jersey state climatologist David Robinson said that since precipitation has been below normal for most of the last 24 months, the recent winter weather did not provide enough water to help restore streams and groundwater.

Should a drought emergency be declared, mandatory water restrictions would be put in place. The last drought emergency lasted almost a year, between March 2002 and January 2003.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending