Massachusetts
Trial of accused Boston serial rapist Alvin Campbell Jr. begins today
The trial of Alvin Campbell Jr., accused of sexually assaulting and attacking nine women from 2017-2019, is set to get underway on Monday.
Campbell is the older brother of Massachusetts Attorney General Andrea Joy Campbell.
The 45-year-old faces a number of charges for allegedly sexually assaulting and attacking nine women between 2017-2019 in Boston. According to court records, he would intentionally seek out young women late at night near bars and restaurants, posing as a rideshare driver.
While most of the attacks happened in his car, there is one account of a 26-year-old woman who says Campbell Jr. drove her from Boston to his Cumberland, Rhode Island, apartment, where he assaulted her.
Right now, he is in custody. He has been held without bail since his arrest in 2020. He continues to insist that all of the encounters he had with the women in question were consensual.
On Monday, he will finally begin the process of trying to prove his innocence to 17 jurors. The jury was selected over the last week. The trial is expected to last several weeks.
Opening statements will lead off Monday’s proceedings.
When asked about the trial, Andrea Joy Campbell said, “I am praying for the survivors and all those affected. It takes extraordinary courage to come forward, and they deserve dignity and respect.”