Massachusetts
Massachusetts man accused of kidnapping, rape planned to meet 14-year-old girl in Canisteo
New York State Police said a Massachusetts man charged with kidnapping and raping an underage girl in Steuben County was taken into custody after troopers staked out a location where he allegedly planned to have a second encounter with her.
On Oct. 8, Hornell-based state police arrested Estefan D. Henriquez, 29, of Lynn, Massachusetts. Henriquez was charged with two counts of felony second-degree rape, one count of sexually motivated second-degree kidnapping and one count of misdemeanor endangering the welfare of a child.
In an Oct. 10 news release, troopers said an ongoing investigation determined Henriquez had engaged in sexually explicit communications with a 14-year-old girl in Steuben County and made arrangements to travel from Massachusetts to meet with her.
Investigators learned Henriquez had previously met the victim in person in the town of Jasper and had sent numerous sexually explicit messages through a social media platform in the days leading up to his arrest.
At approximately 2:58 a.m. Oct. 8, troopers observed Henriquez’s vehicle arrive at a prearranged location in the village of Canisteo, where state police said he was taken into custody without incident.
Troopers charged Henriquez with attempted second-degree rape, attempted second-degree kidnapping and attempted acting in a manner injurious to a child in connection to his arrest in Canisteo.
Henriquez appeared in centralized arraignment court and was committed to the county jail. Sheriff’s records say he is being held on $15,000 bond.
Email Neal Simon at nsimon@gannett.com. To get unlimited access to the latest news, please subscribe or activate your digital account today.
Massachusetts
It’s not just white sharks: Massachusetts shark researchers ‘closely monitoring’ another shark species this season
This is just jaw-some.
Another shark species has the attention of local white shark researchers, who will be “closely monitoring” an additional apex predator this season as beachgoers return to the water.
Dusky sharks — which were spotted attacking seals off Nantucket in the past — have also been seen off Orleans’ Nauset Beach, where great white sharks are frequently spotted during the summer and fall.
Local white shark researchers previously had not observed dusky sharks preying on seals off Massachusetts, but now it seems like the shark species is making a comeback in these northern waters.
“It’s something we’re going to be keeping track of this year,” said Megan Winton, senior scientist with the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy. “We’re definitely going to be closely monitoring them.
“Some people might say, ‘Oh great, now we have another shark species we have to worry about at the beach,’ but the public safety messaging stays the same,” Winton added. “The same ‘Shark Smart’ behaviors still apply.”
To the untrained eye, dusky sharks can look like big white sharks.
They are large-bodied, about 8- to 10-feet long, typically grey with dusky margins on the fins. While a white shark’s fin is triangular, a dusky shark’s fin slopes and curves.
Dusky sharks are not as beefy as white sharks, and their tail movements are more snake-like.
Dusky sharks are potentially dangerous to beachgoers due to their large size and occurrence in shallow coastal waters, though they have been implicated in few interactions with humans, according to the Florida Museum of Natural History.
“The same messaging goes with a second shark species feeding on seals: You don’t want to be swimming with shark food,” Winton said. “That means seals and big schools of fish.
“Also, we’ve learned that white sharks spend a lot of time in shallow water hunting for seals, so be aware of your depth when visiting our beaches,” she added. “Always pay attention to the lifeguards, and don’t swim or surf alone. Anytime you’re going into a wild environment and you know large predators are around, pay attention and be smart about it.”
Researchers put real-time shark receivers off the Cape, so lifeguards get instant updates if a tagged white shark is nearby. The lifeguards will then order everyone out of the water for some time.
Also, beachgoers are urged to report shark sightings to the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy’s Sharktivity app. The app helps raise awareness of the presence of white sharks off the coast. The app sightings are fed by researchers, safety officials, and users who upload photos for confirmation.
Last week, the first confirmed white shark report of the season was off Martha’s Vineyard when a shark fatally bit a seal.
This is the typical time of year when great whites return to the Cape and Islands to hunt for seals.
Winton over the winter was off South Carolina, where she helped tag seven white sharks. One of those sharks recently pinged off Maryland.
“Some are making their way north already as the water temperatures tick up,” Winton said.
Over the weekend, a porbeagle shark beached itself and died in Rhode Island’s Point Judith Pond.
“The species itself isn’t that surprising as they love colder water and unlike many other sharks that have yet to arrive, this shark was likely getting ready to follow the colder water north as our waters slowly warm,” the Atlantic Shark Institute posted.
The shark was apparently first found wedged in rocks by the breakwater at Salty Brine State Beach in Galilee, but then the shark freed itself and started swimming in circles. The porbeagle then swam into Point Judith Pond and eventually died.
“Thanks to everyone who reached out to us over 24 hours to provide information and video on this shark along with Greg Skomal at MADMF and John Chisholm from New England Aquarium,” the Atlantic Shark Institute wrote. “Both aided our executive director in reviewing all the video and photos to identify this shark.”
Massachusetts
Trial of accused Boston serial rapist Alvin Campbell Jr. begins today
The trial of Alvin Campbell Jr., accused of sexually assaulting and attacking nine women from 2017-2019, is set to get underway on Monday.
Campbell is the older brother of Massachusetts Attorney General Andrea Joy Campbell.
The 45-year-old faces a number of charges for allegedly sexually assaulting and attacking nine women between 2017-2019 in Boston. According to court records, he would intentionally seek out young women late at night near bars and restaurants, posing as a rideshare driver.
While most of the attacks happened in his car, there is one account of a 26-year-old woman who says Campbell Jr. drove her from Boston to his Cumberland, Rhode Island, apartment, where he assaulted her.
Right now, he is in custody. He has been held without bail since his arrest in 2020. He continues to insist that all of the encounters he had with the women in question were consensual.
On Monday, he will finally begin the process of trying to prove his innocence to 17 jurors. The jury was selected over the last week. The trial is expected to last several weeks.
Opening statements will lead off Monday’s proceedings.
When asked about the trial, Andrea Joy Campbell said, “I am praying for the survivors and all those affected. It takes extraordinary courage to come forward, and they deserve dignity and respect.”
Massachusetts
Motorcyclists suffer life-threatening injuries in Marlborough crash
A multi-vehicle crash in Marlborough on Sunday sent two motorcycle riders to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, Massachusetts State Police said.
The crash involved three cars and two motorcycles along I-495 southbound, authorities said.
State police said they, along with Marlborough fire and EMS, responded to the accident at 3:52 p.m.
Both motorcycle riders have life-threatening injuries and one was airlifted to a nearby hospital for treatment.
The highway was closed but has since reopened.
-
News5 minutes agoLong Island Rail Road strike ends as MTA, unions reach tentative deal
-
New York2 hours agoRead the judge’s decision on evidence in the Luigi Mangione state murder trial.
-
Los Angeles, Ca2 hours agoSimi Valley School District cancels school Tuesday as Sandy Fire doubles in size
-
Detroit, MI2 hours agoTwerking for your vote: Detroit 13th Congressional Candidate not shy on social media
-
San Francisco, CA2 hours agoSan Francisco’s last jeepney helps highlight city’s Filipino culture
-
Dallas, TX2 hours agoDallas Sumer of Safety initiative is back
-
Miami, FL2 hours agoFIFA launches official World Cup merchandise shop in Miami Beach
-
Boston, MA3 hours agoWith the World Cup weeks away, Boston and the T clash over Summer Street closure – The Boston Globe