Maine
Video captures student assaulting freshman at Maine high school
WALDOBORO, Maine — A freshman at Medomak Valley High School was attacked Wednesday afternoon in a vicious assault captured on video.
The father of the child, who is not being named to protect the privacy of the student, said bullying is rampant in the schools.
The assault occurred outside the school as students were getting on buses. The video shows a larger male student knocking down a smaller male and then repeatedly punching him in the head. Nearby students did not intervene, with some watching and others walking by the assault. Two adults are seen rushing to the scene and the assailant got up and walked away as one of the adults directed him to go to the office.
The father said this was the fourth time his son has been assaulted at the school since classes started this year.
“They have posters throughout the school, saying bullying is not tolerated but they don’t do anything,” the father said.
He said, in one instance, a junior in the gym picked up his son and threw him to the floor, breaking his son’s cellphone. In another, a girl came up from behind him in the hallway and knocked him to the floor.
The father said he is frustrated with the lack of action by the school resource officer throughout the year. He said the officer asked his son if he did anything to provoke the assault and that is trying to shift the blame to the victim.
A student filmed the Wednesday assault and shared it on social media.
Regional School Unit 40 Superintendent Thomas Ambrose issued a letter to parents Thursday morning
“I want to thank everyone who reached out to me about the fight at the high school yesterday. I’m writing this letter to let everyone know the following: 1. Fighting and violence at RSU 40 will not be tolerated. 2. There will be consequences for students who have violated our code of conduct or district policies once the investigation is complete. 3. We are working in collaboration with law-enforcement and our attorney to make sure that the investigation is conducted appropriately and that laws and policies for student behavior and discipline are being implemented appropriately. I’ve received some questions about the process for communication when an incident like this occurs. It is important to remember that students are protected by State and federal privacy laws including FERPA: the Federal Education Rights to Privacy Act. It is very likely that little to no information about the discipline or consequences for situations like this will be shared publicly. Students have a right to confidentiality, and this right often causes people to think that things are being swept under the rug or not addressed. I want to assure everyone that is not the case and we will be dealing with the discipline aspects of this situation as soon as the investigation is complete. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at any time. My email address is Thomas_Ambrose@rsu40.org,” the letter stated.
Medomak serves students from Waldoboro, Friendship, Warren, Union and Washington.
This story appears through a media partnership with Midcoast Villager.
Maine
US Senate confirms key new Maine officials
The U.S. Senate on Monday confirmed President Donald Trump’s appointees for U.S. attorney and U.S. marshal for the District of Maine.
In party line votes, Judge Andrew Benson of Unity got the nod to be the next U.S. attorney, and former Lewiston Police Chief David St. Pierre was confirmed as U.S. marshal.
Both nominees received bipartisan support in the Senate Judiciary Committee earlier this year. They were approved “en bloc,” along with 47 other nominees in a single vote, prompting dissent from Maine’s junior senator.
Benson and St. Pierre were recommended to Trump by U.S. Sen. Susan Collins, a five-term Republican whose Federal Appointments Advisory Committee helps vet possible appointees.
“Judge Benson and Chief St. Pierre have each devoted more than three decades to public service and law enforcement in Maine,” Collin said in a written statement. “I was proud to support both their nominations and now confirmations, and I am confident that they will serve the people of Maine with distinction.”
Purchase this image
Sen. Angus King, an independent who caucuses with the Democrats, also signed off on the recommendation. But King joined Democrats in voting “no” on Monday.
A King spokesperson said the junior senator opposed approving all of the nominations in a single vote, because the slate included “many seriously problematic candidates.”
St. Pierre is a 2018 graduate of the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Virginia, who oversaw the Lewiston Police Department during the 2023 mass shooting that resulted in 18 deaths. He retired last year after serving more than 30 years with the department.
The U.S. Marshals Service is the enforcement arm of the federal courts. Its duties include protecting the federal judiciary, managing property seized from criminals, transporting federal criminals and overseeing the Witness Protection Program.
Purchase this image
Benson, a graduate of the University of Maine Law School, is currently serving as the interim U.S. attorney of Maine, a position to which he was appointed last October. He was a Maine District Court judge from 2014 to 2025. Prior to that, he was a homicide prosecutor in the Maine Office of Attorney General for 15 years.
Benson will now be the chief federal law enforcement officer for the District of Maine. He’s one of 83 U.S. attorneys, and the only one in Maine.
Despite Monday’s partisan votes, both nominees received strong bipartisan support from the Senate Judiciary Committee. Benson was recommended 19-3 in January and St. Pierre was endorsed 20-2 in March.
Maine
This New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland
As someone who is completely obsessed with oysters, summer seafood spots, and the excitement of trying a brand-new restaurant, I’ve been counting down the days for Ladyfish to open in Portland. There’s just something about a seasonal pop-up that makes it feel extra special, and Ladyfish already feels like the place everyone will be talking about this summer.
Where Is It Located?
Located at 425 Fore Street in Portland’s Old Port, the restaurant officially opened on May 13 and has already been drawing major attention from locals and visitors looking for fresh seafood and fun summer vibes.
What Makes Ladyfish Stand Out From Other Restaurants?
What makes Ladyfish stand out is how playful and exciting the menu feels while still keeping Maine seafood at the center of everything. The scallops in a blanket are already becoming one of the must-order dishes, balancing buttery richness with fresh coastal flavor. The eggplant dip is unbelievably good and adds a unique twist to the menu, while the steamed buns are soft, flavorful, and honestly addictive. On top of all that, the seafood is incredibly fresh, which is exactly what you want from a summer restaurant in Portland.
Since opening, Ladyfish has quickly become one of the hottest new dining spots in the city, proving that Portland’s restaurant scene continues to thrive with creative concepts and unforgettable seafood experiences.
22 Seasonal Maine Restaurants Worth Visiting for a Delicious Meal
Gallery Credit: Sean McKenna
10 Maine Lobster Pounds You Need to Try This Summer 🦞
Summer plans = eating your way through these 10 Maine lobster pounds!
Gallery Credit: Arlen Jameson
Maine
Maine high school students accidentally served dirt at charity dinner
Teenagers are known for dishing out the dirt, but not quite like this.
Students at a high school in Maine were fed potting soil at a community service event raising money to fight hunger, in a bizarre incident the school called “an unfortunate accident.”
Students at Medomack Valley High School in Waldoboro had baked a batch of potting soil earlier that day during a science class experiment to determine the effect of sterilized soil on plant growth, according to a statement from the school.
“The soil had been placed in a baking dish covered with foil and set off to the side of the stove area, separate from the Empty Bowl Supper food items,” the statement signed by principal Linda Pease read.
Later, in the mad dash to serve guests at the charity dinner, the oven-roasted dirt got mixed in with other food items meant for the meal and was brought out for service.
“Three students briefly put some of the soil in their mouths, believing it to be a dessert item, before immediately realizing what it was,” the school said, adding they “promptly” had the unwanted earthen confection removed from the serving tables.
“This was a completely accidental situation and absolutely not a prank,” the school assured.
The parents of the involved students were contacted by administrators, and the students were spoken with at school.
“Those involved in organizing the Empty Bowl Supper, a longstanding community service event that means a great deal to our school and community, are deeply sorry that this occurred.”
-
Denver, CO3 minutes agoDenver weather: More rain expected this week
-
Seattle, WA9 minutes agoThe Seattle Opera Hosted Its First Official Furry Night – The Stranger
-
San Diego, CA15 minutes agoWhat we know about the San Diego shooting victims, suspects, possible motive and more
-
Milwaukee, WI21 minutes agoMilwaukee crash closes I-794 EB lanes at Van Buren Street
-
Atlanta, GA27 minutes agoAtlanta airport security: Council approves private TSA study
-
Minneapolis, MN33 minutes agoMan dies days after being injured in attempted Minneapolis carjacking
-
Indianapolis, IN39 minutes agoAlexander Rossi suffered injuries to his finger, ankle in crash; what it means for Indy 500
-
Pittsburg, PA45 minutes ago3-year-old hit and killed by vehicle in Hill District

” data-large-file=”https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?w=780″ height=”939″ width=”1024″ fifu-data-src=”https://i1.wp.com/www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1″ alt=”” class=”wp-image-7647956″ srcset=”https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg 2767w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=300,275 300w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=768,704 768w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=1024,939 1024w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=1536,1409 1536w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=2048,1879 2048w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=1200,1101 1200w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=2000,1834 2000w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=780,715 780w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=400,367 400w” sizes=”(max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px”/><figcaption>Lewiston Police Chief David St. Pierre looks at the crowd assembled at the new police station before he signed off for the last time to start his retirement. (Russ Dillingham/Staff Photographer)<span class=)

” data-image-caption=”<p>Maine District Court Judge Andrew Benson during a trial 2025 trial at Skowhegan District Court. (Anna Chadwick/Staff Photographer)
” data-large-file=”https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?w=780″ height=”700″ width=”1024″ fifu-data-src=”https://i2.wp.com/www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1″ alt=”” class=”wp-image-7506406″ srcset=”https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg 3000w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=300,205 300w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=768,525 768w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=1024,700 1024w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=1536,1050 1536w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=2048,1400 2048w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=1200,820 1200w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=2000,1367 2000w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=780,533 780w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=400,273 400w” sizes=”(max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px”/><figcaption>Maine District Court Judge Andrew Benson during a trial 2025 trial at Skowhegan District Court. (Anna Chadwick/Staff Photographer)<span class=)