Connect with us

Maine

NH Gov. Kelly Ayotte joins Maine in rejecting new lobster regulations to protect industry

Published

on

NH Gov. Kelly Ayotte joins Maine in rejecting new lobster regulations to protect industry


SEABROOK — New Hampshire has joined Maine in rejecting new regulations that would increase the minimum length of catchable lobster this summer.

Republican Gov. Kelly Ayotte sent a letter to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) that oversees lobster caught by New Hampshire and Maine fishermen, stating New Hampshire would not comply with the guidelines set to go into effect July 1.

The new regulation requires an increase in the size of the gauge used by fishermen to measure lobster length, determining whether they can be caught or must be released. Lobstermen measure the size of a lobster by gauging its carapace (shell) from the eye socket to the tail.

Ayotte echoed a concern expressed by lawmakers in Seabrook, where lobstering is a local industry, that the rule could decrease lobstermen’s hauls by 30%. Her letter to the ASMFC follows similar action by Maine Department of Marine Resources Patrick Keliher, who said earlier this month Maine would not follow the regulations.

Advertisement

Ayotte called New Hampshire’s commercial fishing industry a “proud part of our heritage,” and said she has heard “loud and clear” from lobstermen and their supporters that the new regulations would damage the industry and the state.

“To ensure the survival of an iconic and historic industry in our state and our region, and to ensure our nation remains competitive in global trade, I ask you today to rescind these new guidelines,” Ayotte wrote. “In the meantime, New Hampshire will comply with the previous minimum size for lobster in an effort to preserve this proud industry.”

Since 2017, regulators have faced pressure to increase lobster gauge sizes following trawl surveys that indicated a decline in the population of small, sub-legal lobsters, according to Seafood Source.

Advertisement

The new regulation aims to address a 35% decrease in juvenile lobsters settling on the ocean floor, which is crucial for their maturation. ASMFC voting members, representing each Atlantic coast state, believe the change is necessary to help the lobster population recover. Cheri Patterson, chief of Marine Fisheries at New Hampshire Fish and Game, said earlier this month the rule was “backed by science.”

Lobstermen, however, have expressed concern that the regulations have no impact on Canadian fishermen who also catch lobster. Jim Titone, a Seabrook lobsterman since 1965, said the new change would also mean the end of fishing for the “chicken lobster” class, which refers to those that weigh 1 to 1.25 pounds.

Maine was set to adopt the gauge change for its lobstermen until a Jan. 9 hearing in Augusta drew significant backlash from members of the lobster industry. The following day, Keliher stated that they would not adopt the policy.

Lawmakers in New Hampshire who support the lobstermen then turned to Ayotte, as well as the incoming Trump administration, according to state Rep. Aboul Khan, who represents Seabrook, where many lobstermen dock their boats. He said he was glad Tuesday when Ayotte announced New Hampshire would not adopt the regulation.

Advertisement

“It would be good for the New Hampshire economy,” Khan said. “Thanks to Kelly Ayotte for understanding the men and women who work in this industry.”

Patterson could not be reached for comment.



Source link

Maine

US Senate confirms key new Maine officials

Published

on

US Senate confirms key new Maine officials


Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, departs the chamber at the Capitol in Washington, on July 24, 2025. (J. Scott Applewhite/Associated Press)

The U.S. Senate on Monday confirmed President Donald Trump’s appointees for U.S. attorney and U.S. marshal for the District of Maine.

In party line votes, Judge Andrew Benson of Unity got the nod to be the next U.S. attorney, and former Lewiston Police Chief David St. Pierre was confirmed as U.S. marshal.

Both nominees received bipartisan support in the Senate Judiciary Committee earlier this year. They were approved “en bloc,” along with 47 other nominees in a single vote, prompting dissent from Maine’s junior senator.

Advertisement

Benson and St. Pierre were recommended to Trump by U.S. Sen. Susan Collins, a five-term Republican whose Federal Appointments Advisory Committee helps vet possible appointees.

“Judge Benson and Chief St. Pierre have each devoted more than three decades to public service and law enforcement in Maine,” Collin said in a written statement. “I was proud to support both their nominations and now confirmations, and I am confident that they will serve the people of Maine with distinction.”



Purchase this image

Sen. Angus King, an independent who caucuses with the Democrats, also signed off on the recommendation. But King joined Democrats in voting “no” on Monday.

A King spokesperson said the junior senator opposed approving all of the nominations in a single vote, because the slate included “many seriously problematic candidates.”

St. Pierre is a 2018 graduate of the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Virginia, who oversaw the Lewiston Police Department during the 2023 mass shooting that resulted in 18 deaths. He retired last year after serving more than 30 years with the department.

Advertisement

The U.S. Marshals Service is the enforcement arm of the federal courts. Its duties include protecting the federal judiciary, managing property seized from criminals, transporting federal criminals and overseeing the Witness Protection Program.



Purchase this image

Benson, a graduate of the University of Maine Law School, is currently serving as the interim U.S. attorney of Maine, a position to which he was appointed last October. He was a Maine District Court judge from 2014 to 2025. Prior to that, he was a homicide prosecutor in the Maine Office of Attorney General for 15 years.

Benson will now be the chief federal law enforcement officer for the District of Maine. He’s one of 83 U.S. attorneys, and the only one in Maine.

Despite Monday’s partisan votes, both nominees received strong bipartisan support from the Senate Judiciary Committee. Benson was recommended 19-3 in January and St. Pierre was endorsed 20-2 in March.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Maine

This New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland

Published

on

This New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland


As someone who is completely obsessed with oysters, summer seafood spots, and the excitement of trying a brand-new restaurant, I’ve been counting down the days for Ladyfish to open in Portland. There’s just something about a seasonal pop-up that makes it feel extra special, and Ladyfish already feels like the place everyone will be talking about this summer.

Where Is It Located?

Located at 425 Fore Street in Portland’s Old Port, the restaurant officially opened on May 13 and has already been drawing major attention from locals and visitors looking for fresh seafood and fun summer vibes.

What Makes Ladyfish Stand Out From Other Restaurants?

What makes Ladyfish stand out is how playful and exciting the menu feels while still keeping Maine seafood at the center of everything. The scallops in a blanket are already becoming one of the must-order dishes, balancing buttery richness with fresh coastal flavor. The eggplant dip is unbelievably good and adds a unique twist to the menu, while the steamed buns are soft, flavorful, and honestly addictive. On top of all that, the seafood is incredibly fresh, which is exactly what you want from a summer restaurant in Portland.

Since opening, Ladyfish has quickly become one of the hottest new dining spots in the city, proving that Portland’s restaurant scene continues to thrive with creative concepts and unforgettable seafood experiences.

Advertisement

22 Seasonal Maine Restaurants Worth Visiting for a Delicious Meal

Gallery Credit: Sean McKenna

10 Maine Lobster Pounds You Need to Try This Summer 🦞

Summer plans = eating your way through these 10 Maine lobster pounds!

Gallery Credit: Arlen Jameson





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Maine

Maine high school students accidentally served dirt at charity dinner

Published

on

Maine high school students accidentally served dirt at charity dinner


Teenagers are known for dishing out the dirt, but not quite like this.

Students at a high school in Maine were fed potting soil at a community service event raising money to fight hunger, in a bizarre incident the school called “an unfortunate accident.”

Students at Medomack Valley High School in Waldoboro had baked a batch of potting soil earlier that day during a science class experiment to determine the effect of sterilized soil on plant growth, according to a statement from the school.

Students were accidentally served dirt at a fundraiser dinner at Medomak Valley High School in Waldoboro, Maine, about 30 miles outside the state capital Augusta. WMTW

“The soil had been placed in a baking dish covered with foil and set off to the side of the stove area, separate from the Empty Bowl Supper food items,” the statement signed by principal Linda Pease read.

Advertisement

Later, in the mad dash to serve guests at the charity dinner, the oven-roasted dirt got mixed in with other food items meant for the meal and was brought out for service.

“Three students briefly put some of the soil in their mouths, believing it to be a dessert item, before immediately realizing what it was,” the school said, adding they “promptly” had the unwanted earthen confection removed from the serving tables.

“This was a completely accidental situation and absolutely not a prank,” the school assured.

The parents of the involved students were contacted by administrators, and the students were spoken with at school.

“Those involved in organizing the Empty Bowl Supper, a longstanding community service event that means a great deal to our school and community, are deeply sorry that this occurred.”

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending