Connect with us

Maine

Maine Mariners games postponed amid labor dispute between league, players union

Published

on

Maine Mariners games postponed amid labor dispute between league, players union


Maine Mariners players run a drill during practice in Portland on Dec. 10. (Gregory Rec/Staff Photographer)

Both Maine Mariners games in Portland scheduled for this weekend have been postponed amid a labor dispute between the hockey league and a players union.

Members of the Professional Hockey Players’ Association announced earlier this week that players in the league were prepared to strike, accusing the ECHL of obstructing collective bargaining with unfair labor practices.

The strike notice became effective Friday, when games were scheduled to continue after a holiday break, according to the association, which represents players in the ECHL, formerly known as the East Coast Hockey League.

Advertisement

The Cross Insurance Arena box office confirmed Friday afternoon that both Friday and Saturday’s games have been postponed and will be rescheduled.

The Mariners were set to play the Worcester Railers on Friday night and the Trois-Rivières Lions on Saturday afternoon.

The ECHL issued a statement Friday, saying the league had made its “last, best and final offer” to the players’ union Thursday. Any future offers by the league “likely will need to account for losses in revenue attributable to missed games from player strike,” the statement read.

The union said in its own statement that it had filed an unfair labor practice charge against the league after several months of bargaining.

“We are asking for basic standards around health, safety and working conditions that allow the players to remain healthy, compete at a high level and build sustainable professional careers,” Brian Ramsay, the executive director of the hockey players’ association, said in the statement Monday. “Our members have never been more united and remain ready to return to the bargaining table at any time.”

Advertisement

The Mariners team social media account shared a statement from the ECHL in posts Friday that accused the union of forcing all players in the league to go on strike.

“This could also result in the postponement or rescheduling of additional games, and we will be in direct communication with our fans and supporters as soon as practicable if that is the case,” the statement read. “But know that we’re working to have a team on the ice for our next regularly scheduled home game.”

A reporter’s efforts to reach Michael Keeley, director of media relations and broadcasting for the Mariners, were unsuccessful Friday afternoon.

As of Friday, the Mariners are 11-8 on the season, with three overtime losses and one shootout loss, good for fifth place out of nine in the Eastern Conference’s North Division and 16th overall in the 30-team league.

Advertisement

The ECHL is the third tier of North American professional hockey, below the NHL and the American Hockey League. Most ECHL teams serve as developmental teams for nearby NHL and AHL teams; the Mariners are affiliated with the Boston Bruins and their AHL team, the Providence Bruins.

This story will be updated.



Source link

Advertisement

Maine

US Senate confirms key new Maine officials

Published

on

US Senate confirms key new Maine officials


Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, departs the chamber at the Capitol in Washington, on July 24, 2025. (J. Scott Applewhite/Associated Press)

The U.S. Senate on Monday confirmed President Donald Trump’s appointees for U.S. attorney and U.S. marshal for the District of Maine.

In party line votes, Judge Andrew Benson of Unity got the nod to be the next U.S. attorney, and former Lewiston Police Chief David St. Pierre was confirmed as U.S. marshal.

Both nominees received bipartisan support in the Senate Judiciary Committee earlier this year. They were approved “en bloc,” along with 47 other nominees in a single vote, prompting dissent from Maine’s junior senator.

Advertisement

Benson and St. Pierre were recommended to Trump by U.S. Sen. Susan Collins, a five-term Republican whose Federal Appointments Advisory Committee helps vet possible appointees.

“Judge Benson and Chief St. Pierre have each devoted more than three decades to public service and law enforcement in Maine,” Collin said in a written statement. “I was proud to support both their nominations and now confirmations, and I am confident that they will serve the people of Maine with distinction.”



Purchase this image

Sen. Angus King, an independent who caucuses with the Democrats, also signed off on the recommendation. But King joined Democrats in voting “no” on Monday.

A King spokesperson said the junior senator opposed approving all of the nominations in a single vote, because the slate included “many seriously problematic candidates.”

St. Pierre is a 2018 graduate of the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Virginia, who oversaw the Lewiston Police Department during the 2023 mass shooting that resulted in 18 deaths. He retired last year after serving more than 30 years with the department.

Advertisement

The U.S. Marshals Service is the enforcement arm of the federal courts. Its duties include protecting the federal judiciary, managing property seized from criminals, transporting federal criminals and overseeing the Witness Protection Program.



Purchase this image

Benson, a graduate of the University of Maine Law School, is currently serving as the interim U.S. attorney of Maine, a position to which he was appointed last October. He was a Maine District Court judge from 2014 to 2025. Prior to that, he was a homicide prosecutor in the Maine Office of Attorney General for 15 years.

Benson will now be the chief federal law enforcement officer for the District of Maine. He’s one of 83 U.S. attorneys, and the only one in Maine.

Despite Monday’s partisan votes, both nominees received strong bipartisan support from the Senate Judiciary Committee. Benson was recommended 19-3 in January and St. Pierre was endorsed 20-2 in March.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Maine

This New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland

Published

on

This New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland


As someone who is completely obsessed with oysters, summer seafood spots, and the excitement of trying a brand-new restaurant, I’ve been counting down the days for Ladyfish to open in Portland. There’s just something about a seasonal pop-up that makes it feel extra special, and Ladyfish already feels like the place everyone will be talking about this summer.

Where Is It Located?

Located at 425 Fore Street in Portland’s Old Port, the restaurant officially opened on May 13 and has already been drawing major attention from locals and visitors looking for fresh seafood and fun summer vibes.

What Makes Ladyfish Stand Out From Other Restaurants?

What makes Ladyfish stand out is how playful and exciting the menu feels while still keeping Maine seafood at the center of everything. The scallops in a blanket are already becoming one of the must-order dishes, balancing buttery richness with fresh coastal flavor. The eggplant dip is unbelievably good and adds a unique twist to the menu, while the steamed buns are soft, flavorful, and honestly addictive. On top of all that, the seafood is incredibly fresh, which is exactly what you want from a summer restaurant in Portland.

Since opening, Ladyfish has quickly become one of the hottest new dining spots in the city, proving that Portland’s restaurant scene continues to thrive with creative concepts and unforgettable seafood experiences.

Advertisement

22 Seasonal Maine Restaurants Worth Visiting for a Delicious Meal

Gallery Credit: Sean McKenna

10 Maine Lobster Pounds You Need to Try This Summer 🦞

Summer plans = eating your way through these 10 Maine lobster pounds!

Gallery Credit: Arlen Jameson





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Maine

Maine high school students accidentally served dirt at charity dinner

Published

on

Maine high school students accidentally served dirt at charity dinner


Teenagers are known for dishing out the dirt, but not quite like this.

Students at a high school in Maine were fed potting soil at a community service event raising money to fight hunger, in a bizarre incident the school called “an unfortunate accident.”

Students at Medomack Valley High School in Waldoboro had baked a batch of potting soil earlier that day during a science class experiment to determine the effect of sterilized soil on plant growth, according to a statement from the school.

Students were accidentally served dirt at a fundraiser dinner at Medomak Valley High School in Waldoboro, Maine, about 30 miles outside the state capital Augusta. WMTW

“The soil had been placed in a baking dish covered with foil and set off to the side of the stove area, separate from the Empty Bowl Supper food items,” the statement signed by principal Linda Pease read.

Advertisement

Later, in the mad dash to serve guests at the charity dinner, the oven-roasted dirt got mixed in with other food items meant for the meal and was brought out for service.

“Three students briefly put some of the soil in their mouths, believing it to be a dessert item, before immediately realizing what it was,” the school said, adding they “promptly” had the unwanted earthen confection removed from the serving tables.

“This was a completely accidental situation and absolutely not a prank,” the school assured.

The parents of the involved students were contacted by administrators, and the students were spoken with at school.

“Those involved in organizing the Empty Bowl Supper, a longstanding community service event that means a great deal to our school and community, are deeply sorry that this occurred.”

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending