Connect with us

News

NASA Astronauts Don’t Receive Overtime Pay for Space Mission But Get $5 a Day

Published

on

NASA Astronauts Don’t Receive Overtime Pay for Space Mission But Get  a Day

If your eight-day work trip was unexpectedly extended by nine months, you might expect to rack up some overtime pay.

Not so for Suni Williams and Butch Wilmore, the NASA astronauts who spent 278 extra days on the International Space Station after their spacecraft malfunctioned. On Tuesday, they splashed down off the Gulf Coast of Florida, ending a saga that had captivated the country since last summer.

But despite their far-flung destination, and the danger and romance of space travel, when it comes to pay, Ms. Williams and Mr. Wilmore are treated effectively like any other government employee who takes a business trip to the next state over.

“While in space, NASA astronauts are on official travel orders as federal employees,” Jimi Russell, a spokesman for the agency’s Space Operations Mission Directorate, said via email.

Ms. Williams and Mr. Wilmore were essentially unable to leave their workplace, a cluster of modules going around the Earth every 90 minutes, for more than nine months. But astronauts aboard the International Space Station receive no overtime, holiday or weekend pay, Mr. Russell said.

Advertisement

Their transportation, meals and lodging are covered, and like other federal employees on work trips, they receive a daily “incidentals” allowance, Mr. Russell said. This is a per diem payment given to employees in the place of reimbursements for travel expenses.

The incidentals allowance for travel to any location is $5 per day, Mr. Russell said.

This means that in addition to their annual salary — about $152,258, according to NASA — Mr. Wilmore and Ms. Williams received around $1,430 for their 286 days in space.

What incidental expenses might Mr. Wilmore and Ms. Williams have incurred while in orbit 250 miles above Earth? It’s unclear. Usually, these are “fees and tips given to porters, baggage carriers, hotel staff, and staff on ships,” according to the U.S. General Services Administration.

Ms. Williams and Mr. Wilmore did not exactly see their extended stay as a hardship. “This is my happy place,” Ms. Williams told reporters in September. “I love being up here in space. It’s just fun, you know?”

Advertisement

Still, if a $5 per diem seems low for a job that causes enough muscle and bone loss for you to need a gurney when you return to Earth, spare a thought for Clayton Anderson, the NASA astronaut who spent 152 days aboard the International Space Station in 2007.

Mr. Anderson said he received a per diem of only about $1.20, or $172 in total.

Being an astronaut was amazing and his dream job, Mr. Anderson said on social media in 2022, “but it IS a government job with government pay.”

He added: “I would have done WAY better with mileage!”

Advertisement

News

Charges dropped against activists in Chicago immigration crackdown amid grand jury misconduct claims | CNN

Published

on

Charges dropped against activists in Chicago immigration crackdown amid grand jury misconduct claims | CNN


AP — 

Chicago’s top federal prosecutor abandoned a closely watched case Thursday against four activists who protested outside a federal building during last year’s immigration crackdown in the city, after a judge scrutinized allegations of grand jury misconduct by the prosecutor’s office.

U.S. Attorney Andrew Boutros announced the decision to dismiss the remaining charges in court following a closed-door meeting over redacted grand jury transcripts. He told U.S. District Judge April Perry he was unaware until recently of the alleged misconduct, including a prosecutor meeting with a grand juror outside proceedings and other jurors who disagreed with the case being dismissed prevented from participating. Boutros did not dispute the allegations, saying the conduct was upsetting and the reason the case was being dismissed.

“No one acted with the intent to mislead your honor, and I think that they were following your order to give the law,” Boutros said.

Boutros, who was appointed by the Trump administration last year, declined to comment further Thursday through a spokesman.

Advertisement

The case, slated to go to trial next week, is among the most high-profile cases out of the crackdown that rippled across the nation’s third-largest city and suburbs last year. It is also the latest example of how the Justice Department has struggled to prosecute people accused of assaulting or hindering federal officers while protesting President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown.

Defense attorneys for the activists, including onetime Democratic congressional candidate Kat Abughazaleh, said they would seek copies of the unredacted transcripts to learn more.

“The revelations of the grand jury misconduct that led to the dismissal of the charges is sadly not surprising,” said Abughazaleh’s defense attorney Josh Herman. “This misguided case should have never been brought against Kat Abughazaleh or any of her co-defendants for exercising their protected First Amendment rights.”

In October, Abughazaleh was among six people initially charged with conspiring to impede an officer, a felony. Prosecutors alleged they surrounded an immigration agent’s van with other protesters at a federal facility in the Chicago suburb of Broadview, which was central to the Trump administration’s aggressive operation.

Charges were later dropped against two of the people.

Advertisement

Last month, prosecutors scrapped the felony conspiracy charge altogether amid questions about the grand jury transcripts. Prosecutor’s fresh charging documents last month did not detail further allegations against the activists.

Despite objections from the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and other news media outlets, Perry closed part of the hearing to the public because of the discussion of grand jury proceedings, which are kept secret.

The others charged were Andre Martin, who was on Abughazaleh’s campaign staff; Oak Park village trustee Brian Straw; and Michael Rabbitt, a Democratic committeeperson. Each faced a single misdemeanor count of forcibly impeding a federal agent.

The charges were dismissed with prejudice on Thursday, preventing them from being refiled. Perry also floated the idea of a separate hearing on possible sanctions for the U.S. Attorney’s Office over their actions.

The case is not the first time during the Trump administration that prosecutors have faced scrutiny over their conduct before grand juries.

Advertisement

In November, for instance, a federal judge in Virginia accused the Justice Department of having engaged in a “disturbing pattern of profound investigative missteps” in the process of securing an indictment against former FBI Director James Comey.

Those problems, a magistrate judge wrote, include “fundamental misstatements of the law” by a prosecutor to the grand jury that indicted Comey in September, the use of potentially privileged communications during the investigation and unexplained irregularities in the transcript of the grand jury proceedings.

The case was later dismissed after a judge determined that the prosecutor who filed the false statements prosecution was illegally appointed. Comey in April was newly indicted over a social media photo of seashells arranged on a beach that officials said constituted a threat against Trump.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

The Girls: “If it was your daughter” : Embedded

Published

on

The Girls: “If it was your daughter” : Embedded
17-year-old Aryalle Stoner runs away from home and tells the police that her father, Ronnie Stoner, has been sexually abusing her for years. The cursory investigation that follows is representative of a larger issue with child sex abuse investigations in Louisville.
Continue Reading

News

Video: G.O.P. May Bear The Cost of Trump’s Unpopularity

Published

on

Video: G.O.P. May Bear The Cost of Trump’s Unpopularity

new video loaded: G.O.P. May Bear The Cost of Trump’s Unpopularity

Donald Trump’s endorsed candidates are winning Republican primaries across the country, but the president’s unpopularity with the broader electorate could drag the party down in the general election, the Times political correspondent Shane Goldmacher explains.

By Shane Goldmacher, Nour Idriss, Stephanie Swart and Rafaela Balster

May 20, 2026

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending