South Dakota
South Dakota medical marijuana cards are going digital
How to choose and use Scrub Daddy sponges
Learn which Scrub Daddy sponge is best for every cleaning task with this easy guide.
PIERRE, S.D. — South Dakota medical marijuana cards will soon be primarily digital.
The cannabis card news came Tuesday at the Capitol during a meeting of the House of Representatives’ Health and Human Services Committee.
Rep. Josephine Garcia, R-Watertown, had planned to testify on her bill to create digital cards, but instead sat down before the committee and asked its members to table it.
Garcia is the chairwoman of the state’s Medical Marijuana Oversight Committee, which had discussed legislation to require the Department of Health to provide digital cards.
On Tuesday, Garcia announced that the Department of Health had agreed to pursue digital cards without legislation.
The department is looking for vendors now and will select one during the summer, Garcia said, reading from a letter to the committee from Health Secretary Melissa Magstadt. The vendor will build the digital card system in the fall. Once the system is ready, the department will begin issuing digital cards to anyone who doesn’t ask for a plastic card. No implementation date was offered.
The shift to digital cards will “enhance convenience for patients and caregivers,” the letter said.
Magstadt was in the room for the hearing and thanked Garcia for reading the letter. The committee voted 13-0 to table Garcia’s bill.
Patients with a medical recommendation for marijuana pay initial and annual fees for plastic, driver’s license-sized cards, which let them legally purchase marijuana products at dispensaries around the state. Recreational marijuana use remains illegal in South Dakota.
Digital cards would be accessible on patients’ smartphones.
South Dakota Searchlight is part of States Newsroom, the nation’s largest state-focused nonprofit news organization.
South Dakota
South Dakota Board of Regents approves 2.4% tuition increase at most public universities for 2026-27; South Dakota Mines students to see 5% increase
google-site-verification: google9919194f75dd62c5.html
South Dakota
Blake Ellwein is South Dakota’s Mr. Basketball
HURON, S.D. (Dakota News Now) -The Mr. Basketball Award goes to Huron’s Blake Ellwein who will take his talents to play in Brookings for South Dakota State.
Ellwein had a great career for the Huron Tigers capped off by his senior season when he led them to the State AA title.
He became the Tigers all-time leading scorer in the process, breaking his father’s record. He averaged 22 points per game his senior season.
Copyright 2026 Dakota News Now. All rights reserved.
South Dakota
Rapid City’s Jonasia Nance crowned Miss South Dakota for America Strong 2026
RAPID CITY, S.D. (KOTA) – Rapid City resident Jonasia Nance has been crowned Miss South Dakota for America Strong 2026 and will represent the state at the national Miss for America Strong pageant in August, according to South Dakota America Pageants.
Nance, an active-duty member of the U.S. Air Force, previously competed as Miss Pennington County for America Strong 2026. Her advocacy platform centers on improving access to food and essential resources for underserved families and individuals.
(South Dakota America Pageants)
She has volunteered with Feeding South Dakota since 2022, helping with food packaging and distribution efforts in Rapid City and Box Elder. Nance has also supported Fork Real Community Café outreach efforts and remained active with Black Hills Community Theatre since 2021, contributing both on stage and behind the scenes.
Nance is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science in business administration through Western Governors University and has earned her CompTIA Security+ certification.
As Miss South Dakota for America 2026, she will continue community advocacy efforts while preparing to compete on the national stage later this year.
See a spelling or grammatical error in our story? Please click here to report it.
Do you have a photo or video of a breaking news story? Send it to us here with a brief description.
Copyright 2026 KOTA. All rights reserved.
-
Los Angeles, Ca5 minutes agoLoved ones search for missing 21-year-old Southern California man with special needs
-
Detroit, MI29 minutes agoSouthfield Freeway closed after shooting in Detroit, state police says
-
San Francisco, CA41 minutes agoSan Francisco soccer league Girls Got Goals ready for World Cup in Bay Area
-
Dallas, TX47 minutes agoDallas felon arrested after allegedly shooting 14-year-old inside vacant Pleasant Grove home
-
Miami, FL53 minutes agoSister of high-ranking Cuba conglomerate official arrested by ICE in Miami
-
Boston, MA59 minutes ago
FIFA permit delays for watch parties deepen World Cup woes in Massachusetts – The Boston Globe
-
Denver, CO1 hour agoPolice investigate shooting at Montbello Recreation Center
-
Seattle, WA1 hour ago3 Seattle Seahawks UDFAs Who Could Steal a Spot on 53-Man Roster