Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis teachers, support staff ratify two-year contracts with significant pay increases
Minneapolis educators approved a pair of two-year contracts Friday that will give teachers and support staff the highest pay raises they’ve seen in years.
For the Minneapolis school district’s teachers, the salary hikes — 4% this year (retroactive to July 2023) and 5% in the next school year — amount to the biggest pay increase in 25 years, according to a statement from Greta Callahan, president of the teacher chapter of the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers. She said the contract will draw new teachers to the district and slow their move to nearby districts offering more pay.
According to the federation, the contract for education support professionals (ESP) includes a large pay increase and the restoration of “steps” to retain educators. “We’re creating a compensation system that recognizes the value of experience in the district,” said Catina Taylor, president of the federation’s ESP chapter.
According to a news release issued Friday night by the federation, both teachers and support staff voted “overwhelmingly” to ratify the contracts, which now go to the school board for final approval.
It’s unclear how the contracts might affect the 2024-25 school district budget, now projected to show a $110 million deficit. But district officials have said the deal meets board-approved budget parameters.
The vote, which was held Wednesday through Friday, came before a strike authorization vote by teachers. The ESP charter had already voted to authorize a strike. Negotiations on the contracts took about 10 months.
Education Minnesota officials have said that teachers in the state are seeing their biggest pay hikes in 20 years. As of May 1, average salary increases were 4.3% this year. St. Paul teachers struck a two-year contract in March that includes a 4% raise next year and a fixed increase of $3,500 retroactive to January.
Annual teacher pay in Minneapolis this year ranges from about $49,000 for a starting teacher with a bachelor’s degree to about $107,000 for the most experienced and educated instructors. Next year, that salary range would be $54,000 to $112,000.
Minneapolis, MN
‘He was just the best kid’: Grandparents grieve 16-year-old shot and killed in north Minneapolis
“He was just the best kid, he was so loving, that’s the biggest thing about him, he loved his family, that was everything to him,” said James Nelson.
Homicide investigation underway in north Minneapolis after double shooting leaves 16-year-old dead
James was referring to his 16‑year‑old grandson, Cordero Montgomery Jr., also known as “Junior,” who family identified as the teen shot and killed Thursday in north Minneapolis.
James and Wendy Nelson are Junior’s father’s foster parents, and consider Junior their grandson.
James said the last text message they exchanged with him is something the couple keeps replaying. “The last thing he said was ‘I love you,’ and he said, ‘I love you more.’”
They are remembering him as a loving teenager who constantly told them how much he cared.
They said the day of the incident, Junior had been visiting a friend in north Minneapolis and was supposed to take the bus to their home in St. Paul afterward.
“All I know is they were walking, and I guess he, somebody got out of a car and started shooting, and then he ran. Junior ran down the sidewalk a ways,” Wendy said.
Advocates sound alarm after teen is shot and killed in north Minneapolis
The family said he was shot 11 times.
“They must have been really mad at him, or who knows. We don’t know. We got to wait till the detectives find out. It just doesn’t make sense,” he said.
Wendy said she learned about the shooting through a text message.
“All I got was ‘Please call, Junior is dead.’ So I immediately ran out of the bedroom. I was very upset, kind of uncontrollably upset, and gave the phone to James, but [it] didn’t feel real, not until I got there,” she said.
Minneapolis police said officers found Junior outside on 18th Avenue North and performed life‑saving measures, but he later died at the scene. The family said they cannot understand why anyone would do something so violent.
“Why? He’s 16, you know. He’s 16,” Wendy said. “What would he have done that deserved to die for, and get rid of the guns?”
“He was just a kid,” James said.
Flowers now lay near the space where he took his last breath.
“It’s so senseless,” Wendy said.
The grandparents said they later learned people were recording video of Cordero’s body at the scene. Wendy said they wish people would think about how they would feel if it were their own family.
James also said they were hurt by comments online.
“Yeah, somebody on Facebook said, ‘Ho hum, just another day in north Minneapolis,’ and I said, ‘That’s my grandson, and right now it is all everything, but ho hum.’” He added, “I wanted to put a name to my grandson’s death.”
James said he needed to see an image of Junior to accept what happened. When asked if he saw an image of him on the ground, he said, “I did,” and added, “I just said, I have to see my boy.” After he saw the image, he thought, “Yeah, this is real.”
Minneapolis police said a 44‑year‑old man was also shot and injured with non‑life‑threatening injuries. The grandparents said they don’t know who he is or what connection, if any, there is to Junior.
They described Junior as a smart, respectful teenager who was thriving in a school where he received one‑on‑one attention. They said he was going to be a sophomore next school year.
“He was getting straight A’s. I mean, he is really smart and very respectful. People always tell me, ‘Man, that’s a really respectful young man you have there,’ all the time, because he was just the best,” James said.
He also said Junior loved video games and was preparing to apply for a job.
Junior often stayed with them for days at a time.
“He’d come over for weekends. Yeah, he’d stay for days. He loved it so quiet over here,” Wendy said.
She said he was also affectionate. “We were leaving one day, we dropped him off, and he goes, ‘Oh no, Grandma, you need to give me a hug,’ that’s, I mean, a 16-year-old, you know, and he always hearted with a text, you know, just amazing,” Wendy said.
The family is also carrying an older grief. The Nelsons said Junior’s mother previously lost a young daughter during a surgery.
They say Junior’s mother is too devastated to speak publicly right now, and part of why they agreed to talk was to take pressure off of her.
“We have a GoFundMe for Support Cordero to help a single mother, and she’s already lost one child, James said. “It’s really, really tough,” James said.
The grandparents also spoke about mental health and the need for more support in the community.
“People need to treat mental health like physical health. That’s what I would like to get out of this, that our community would wake up and deal with mental health,” James said.
He said he wishes people would think about consequences before tragedy.
“Try and be a better person before a tragedy happens. Just think, look at other people’s consequences, look at other families’ consequences, and just try and put yourself in their place. That could be you if you keep up this on this road,” James said.
The couple also said they moved out of north Minneapolis after gunfire near their home years ago; they said they have seen firsthand how violence affects families.
For the person who pulled the trigger, Wendy had a direct message.
“Whoever you are, you, you took a 16-year-old’s life over something probably really stupid, and there’s no reason for it, you know, get rid of the guns.”
Now, they hope justice comes soon.
Minneapolis police said there have not been any arrests or updates in the case.
MPD juvenile shooting numbers
Minneapolis police data provided to KSTP shows 12 juvenile shooting victims so far in 2026, making up 17% of all shooting victims (the percentage represents the share of all shooting victims who were juveniles).
A year‑to‑date comparison shows:
- 2026: 12 juvenile victims (17%)
- 2025: 6 juvenile victims (7%)
- 2024: 13 juvenile victims (15%)
- 2023: 17 juvenile victims (14%)
- 2022: 14 juvenile victims (8%)
Annual totals from MPD show:
- 2025: 52 juvenile victims (17%)
- 2024: 41 juvenile victims (11%)
- 2023: 62 juvenile victims (15%)
- 2022: 58 juvenile victims (11%)
Minneapolis, MN
George Floyd Square in Minneapolis is getting a major redesign
Future of George Floyd Square still undecided
Memorial Day marks six years since the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, with remembrance events held in his honor. City officials have since pondered what George Floyd Square should look like in the future. FOX 9’s Leon Purvis has the details.
MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) – Minneapolis is preparing for major changes at George Floyd Square as it marks six years since Floyd’s murder.
City prepares to reshape George Floyd Square after years of debate
What we know:
City leaders have spent years discussing whether to keep the intersection mostly closed to traffic or reopen it in some way.
For nearly six years, George Floyd Square at 38th Street and Chicago Avenue has been a place for memorials, art and community gatherings. After much debate, construction is set to begin on June 8.
The city council’s original idea was to turn the area into a pedestrian mall, keeping it closed to most vehicles.
That plan faced pushback from some businesses and residents, and ultimately decided on a flexible open-street design.
Dwight Alexander, owner of Smoke in the Pit, said, “I don’t want a pedestrian mall.”
Under this plan, 38th Street and Chicago Avenue will reopen to vehicle and bus traffic, but the area where Floyd was killed will remain closed to traffic.
Renderings show wider sidewalks, new gathering spaces and improved infrastructure throughout the intersection.
Jeremiah Rupert, who visits George Floyd Square every day, said, “How do you balance community and social justice to make sure everyone gets what they need?”
“I want the road back open. I want the bus line to come back this way if it can. I want the streetlights back up there,” said Alexander.
City officials say memorials and gathering spaces will remain part of the redesign during and after construction, though some locations may shift.
Artists and community members will be involved in making sure the public can still access the memorials during construction.
“If we shut it down for construction, or if we further open it up, what would it do to the space?” said Rupert.
The city says construction is expected to continue through 2027.
Big picture view:
George Floyd Square has become both a memorial and a gathering place for the community since 2020.
The redesign aims to balance the needs of residents, businesses and those who visit the space to remember Floyd.
Business owners and community members have voiced a range of opinions on how the intersection should function moving forward.
Some want easier access for vehicles and buses, while others are focused on preserving the area’s significance as a memorial.
The city’s plan attempts to address both concerns by reopening some streets while keeping the most sensitive area closed to traffic.
Minneapolis, MN
Dinkytown armed robbery: Victim assaulted, vehicle stolen, gun recovered
MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) – Authorities are searching for three suspects reportedly involved in a Dinkytown assault and robbery.
Armed robbery investigation
What we know:
A Safe-U advisory states that the armed robbery happened at about 4:20 a.m. on Saturday near the intersection of 14th Avenue Southeast and 7th Street Southeast.
The victim was reportedly “hit in the face with an unknown weapon” before his phone, keys and jacket were taken by three masked suspects who were wearing all black, according to the advisory.
The victim’s vehicle was also taken during the robbery, but police later found it and initiated a traffic stop. The occupants of the stolen vehicle then fled, and officers say they recovered a firearm.
What we don’t know:
Details on the suspects’ descriptions have not been shared.
What you can do:
Anyone with information on the suspects is asked to call 911.
The Source: This story uses information shared in a University of Minnesota safety alert notification.
-
Technology10 minutes agoThe best Memorial Day sales you can shop this weekend
-
World16 minutes agoMass tanker blackout rattles Gulf ahead of 1.35M-barrel oil transfer amid US-Iran talks: firm
-
Politics22 minutes agoRetiring senator warns if Trump continues to do ‘stupid things’ it will kill GOP in November
-
Health28 minutes agoFiltered water at specific ages could add months to your lifespan decades later, new study finds
-
Sports34 minutes agoRaiders’ No 1 pick Fernando Mendoza surprises Cal’s MBA commencement by walking the stage for undergrad degree
-
Technology40 minutes agoHumanoid robots work nonstop in package test
-
Business46 minutes agoDefying Trump, California continues to bet big on offshore wind
-
Entertainment52 minutes agoStar Wars strikes back with $102 million projected for ‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’

