Connect with us

Milwaukee, WI

Milwaukee detectives shoot, injure man after he pointed a gun at them, police say

Published

on

Milwaukee detectives shoot, injure man after he pointed a gun at them, police say


Milwaukee police shot and injured a man Tuesday night who pointed a gun at two detectives, according to a statement from the department Wednesday.

The “critical incident” was not originally given that designation Tuesday night as police said they had reason to believe the 28-year-old man was not hit. The department sent a statement late on Tuesday night that stated, “It does not appear anyone was struck by gunfire at this time.”

The police shooting took place shortly before 7:30 p.m. on the 1500 block of West Hopkins Avenue.

The department said Wednesday that two detectives were riding in an unmarked squad when they observed a man grab another person and point a firearm at that person’s head.

Advertisement

The detectives stopped and exited the squad and ordered the man on the ground but instead the man pointed his gun at the detectives, according to police.

Police said Tuesday that the detectives and the man then “exchanged gunfire.” But in the statement released Wednesday there is no mention of the man firing shots. The department said in a follow-up statement that Tuesday’s information was “preliminary” and sent out by a night watch commander.

After the man pointed the gun at them, both the detectives fired at the man, according to police. The man then fled the scene. It was initially believed that the man wasn’t hit but police found a non-fatal gunshot injury when they arrested him on Wednesday and he was transported to a hospital.

Surveillance footage obtained by WISN-TV from a gas station near the intersection of North Teutonia Avenue and West Locust Street shows that around the time of the incident a man could be seen running with a gun in his hand before pointing a gun toward something off-camera. A short time later, a police cruiser arrives on the scene.

Advertisement

The detectives are a 50-year-old man with more than 16 years of service and a 40-year-old man with more than 10 years of service. Both detectives will be placed on administrative duty, per department policy.

Police will release video from the incident in about 45 days. That timeframe is a department goal after a Milwaukee County judge temporarily blocked an approved policy from taking effect, which would have required the department to release footage in 15 days.



Source link

Milwaukee, WI

Missing 29-year-old man out of Milwaukee found safe, police report

Published

on

Missing 29-year-old man out of Milwaukee found safe, police report


MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) – The Milwaukee Police Department reported on Wednesday afternoon that 29-year-old Griffin Schneider has been found and is safe.

Police first reported him missing Tuesday night. Officials said he was last seen leaving Milwaukee at 10 a.m. on Tuesday. His vehicle was spotted near Wisconsin Dells at 9:15 p.m.

In a release, police thank everyone who was involved in the search for their help.

Click here to download the WMTV15 News app or our WMTV15 First Alert weather app.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Milwaukee, WI

Organizers say recall effort against Milwaukee school board members has over 37k signatures

Published

on

Organizers say recall effort against Milwaukee school board members has over 37k signatures


Organizers for a recall effort against four Milwaukee Public Schools board members say they’ve collected over 37,000 signatures so far. That’s more than half of the total they need by mid-August to initiate a recall against four board members.

The effort, from the MPS School Board Recall Collaborative, comes after a tumultuous few weeks for the district. In late May, the state Department of Public Instruction sent a letter to the district warning that it could lose millions of dollars in state funding after it failed to send in financial reports.

In the weeks since, district superintendent Keith Posley resigned from his post, Gov. Tony Evers called for operational and instructional audits of the district and Legislative Republicans have pushed for an audit of the district’s finances. This month, the state said the district was projected to lose $81 million in state funds as a result of the reporting failures. 

Stay informed on the latest news

Sign up for WPR’s email newsletter.

Advertisement

Now organizers with the recall effort are looking to unseat school board president Marva Herndon, vice president Jilly Gokalgandhi, school board member at large Missy Zombor and board member Erika Siemsen.

To trigger a recall election, the group will need to collect 5,137 signatures for Herndon, 6,809 signatures for Siemsen, 7,759 signatures for Gokalgandhi and 44,177 signatures for Zombor, according to Paulina Gutiérrez, executive director of the Milwaukee Election Commission.

“This MPS recall is not us recalling Milwaukee Public Schools,” said Tamika Johnson, a petitioner in the recall effort, during a Wednesday afternoon press conference. “This recall is recalling incompetent board members who allowed corruption to happen on the back of our Black and brown and white children.” 

Advertisement

Angela Harris, chair of the Black Educators Caucus and a second grade teacher at the Milwaukee Academy of Chinese Language, is also in support of the effort.

“I can understand, certainly, after all of the things that have occurred with Milwaukee Public Schools and the current iteration of the board, why community members would feel that it would be necessary to engage in a recall,” Harris said.

“We elect these folks to be our voices, but it seems to me that particularly with these four board members, folks in their district don’t feel like their voices are being heard, respected, or valued,” she added. 

But not everyone supports the recall effort. The Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association said in a statement that they believe the push is being led by people with “close ties to private voucher and charter schools.”

“Milwaukee should see this recall effort for what it is — local affiliates of the deep-pocketed, nationwide anti-public education voucher industry seeking to capitalize on the recent troubles with the MPS financial office,” MTEA President Ingrid Walker-Henry said in a statement. 

Advertisement

Nicole Johnson, another petitioner in the recall effort, said the group doesn’t have any candidates lined up yet in the case of a recall election. 

But Johnson did say Wednesday the recall effort has received money from “anonymous donors” to help pay for canvassers who are collecting signatures. Organizers said those canvassers will be paid for their work after the signatures have been verified by the city. 

Organizers also said they do not know who the “anonymous donors” are. 

After speaking at a Milwaukee Press Club event Wednesday, Gokalgandhi said she’s aware of the recall effort but is staying focused on the district’s needs. 

“The public has … their democratic right. My job is to continue to serve our kids, work on getting the ship back into the right direction and be prepared in September for our kids to come to our schools,” Gokalgandhi said.

Advertisement

Asked if she plans to run again in a recall election, she responded, “I think we got to see what happens.”

The group has until Aug. 12 to collect signatures and submit them to the Election Commission.  Johnson said organizers are “confident” they’ll collect enough signatures needed by that time.

The Commission has 31 days after the group submits the signatures to verify them.

Last week, the school board also announced it had selected Eduardo Galvan to serve as the new acting superintendent following Posley’s resignation. The board will meet Thursday to confirm or deny that appointment. 

“We are confident in the leadership Mr. Galvan brings to MPS and to this role,” Herndon said in a statement. “Additionally, this step moves the district closer to having an interim superintendent in place before the beginning of the school year, which is critical to our goal of serving the students and families of MPS in the best way possible.”

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Milwaukee, WI

Milwaukee Brewers OF Christian Yelich Dealing With Problematic Back Injury

Published

on

Milwaukee Brewers OF Christian Yelich Dealing With Problematic Back Injury


Milwaukee Brewers All-Star Christian Yelich left Tuesday night’s contest against the Chicago Cubs due to back tightness, the team announced.

Yelich, who was serving as Milwaukee’s designated hitter, made three plate appearances before getting subbed out. He drew two walks before grounding out in the sixth, and Rhys Hoskins pinch-hit for him the next time he was due up in the eighth.

When manager Pat Murphy was asked for his thoughts on Yelich’s injury, he didn’t sound particularly optimistic.

“My thoughts are ‘Oh sh*t’ – can I say that?” Murphy said. “Those are my thoughts.”

Advertisement

As noted by The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Curt Hogg, Yelich had been dealing with back flareups over the past few days.

Yelich already suffered a lower back strain in April, costing him nearly a month of action. After missing those 23 consecutive games, though, Yelich had only missed four of the Brewers’ next 66 contests.

The 32-year-old outfielder has been enjoying a resurgent 2024 campaign, making his first All-Star appearance since 2019. He currently leads the National League with a .315 batting average and .415 on-base percentage, five years removed from his back-to-back batting titles in 2018 and 2019.

Advertisement

Yelich’s .504 slugging percentage and .909 OPS are also the highest they’ve been since 2019, when he finished runner-up in the NL MVP race. He won NL MVP in 2018, leading the league in both categories.

Through 73 games this season, Yelich has racked up 11 home runs, 42 RBI, 21 stolen bases and a 2.4 WAR. He recently became one of five active MLB players to hit 200 career home runs and steal 200 career bases.

It remains to be seen if Yelich will need to hit the injured list again, or if he will be able to rejoin the Brewers’ lineup for Wednesday’s finale against the Cubs. First pitch at Wrigley Field is scheduled for 2:20 p.m. ET.

Continue to follow our FanNation on SI coverage on social media by liking us on Facebook and by following us on Twitter @FastballFN.

You can also follow Sam Connon on Twitter @SamConnon.

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending