Indianapolis, IN
Daniel Jones, Colts just provided plenty of fuel for their doubters — how will they respond?
PITTSBURGH — All Braden Smith could do was watch. The mistake was made. The damage was done. The carnage laid before him.
Daniel Jones was on the ground, the ball was gone, and Smith was partly — if not mostly — to blame. The Indianapolis Colts’ starting right tackle had been lined up against Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end T.J. Watt, one of the best pass rushers of his generation. He showed why in the second quarter on Sunday, when he dipped under Smith’s arm, pulled Jones to the ground and snatched the ball away from him, too.
“I have to look at it a little bit more on the film,” Smith said of the sack he gave up in Indy’s 27-20 loss. “But I needed to get a little bit more depth. Gave a little bit of a short edge (to Watt), and you can’t do that. Obviously, he made a play, and that’s what he does.”
After the turnover, Watt popped to his feet and pounded his chest. Thousands of Steelers fans waved their signature Terrible Towels in approval, a fitting gesture amid the Colts’ terrible, turnover-filled day. Indianapolis’ loss snapped a four-game winning streak, and it gave fuel to all the pundits who believe everything that came in the season’s first eight weeks was a mirage.
“It’s the NFL, sometimes these things happen,” said running back Jonathan Taylor, who was held to a season-low 45 yards on 14 carries. “But the great teams find a way to figure out how to overcome this.”
The doubters, though, have all they need at the moment. They’ll point to the Colts’ six turnovers — their most in a game since Peyton Manning threw six interceptions in a loss to the then-San Diego Chargers in 2007. Great teams don’t do that.
They’ll point to Jones committing a career-high five turnovers, bringing back memories of the jittery quarterback the New York Giants jettisoned. MVP candidates don’t look like that (granted, that Manning guy turned out to be pretty good).
They’ll even point to the Colts’ schedule. Five of their seven wins this year have come against teams with losing records. Real contenders don’t just beat up on the bottom dwellers.
“Losing makes you better in the long run as long as you f—ing learn from it,” star left guard and team captain Quenton Nelson said. “And that’s what we’re gonna do. I think our preparation has been really good throughout the whole entire year, and there’s nothing I would change that we did during the week. The game plan is good and everything (else). We just gotta go out there and execute better.”
Nelson has plenty of reason to believe Indianapolis will rebound, regardless of how anyone on the outside feels, because flukes usually don’t keep popping up for this long. Entering Sunday, the Colts offense was operating at a historic level. Their 3.46 points per drive was the second-most by a team this century through its first eight games (behind only the Tom Brady- and Randy Moss-led Patriots in 2007).
Asked if Sunday’s loss changed his opinion of his team, and particularly its offense, wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. dismissed the notion.
“Winning is tough. You come to a place like this, with a hostile environment, versus a tough team, I mean, it’s really tough to win 17 (games),” said Pittman, who tied fellow receiver Alec Pierce for the team high with 115 receiving yards. “And honestly, I think that the adversity is good. I wouldn’t want to go into the postseason 17-0. There’s only been one team (the 1972 Miami Dolphins) that’s actually done that and won.”
A perfect season has been off the table ever since Indianapolis’ first loss, against the Los Angeles Rams in Week 4. But if there is a lesson to be gleaned from the team’s second defeat, it’s the same one every team in the NFL already knows: Turnovers can uplift you or they can bury you, and on Sunday the Colts threw a lot of dirt on themselves.
“(If) we don’t turn the ball over, I think we’ll be moving the ball up and down the field and scoring a lot of points again,” Colts coach Shane Steichen said of his team’s performance. “I got a ton of faith in our offense and our guys, for sure.”
For what it’s worth, Indianapolis totaled 368 yards of offense, 143 more than Pittsburgh, but its six turnovers — the most of any team in a single game this season — were too much to withstand. Wide receiver Josh Downs coughed up the first on a muffed punt in the first quarter. The ball bounced off the Acrisure Stadium turf and hit him in the chest as he tried to get out of the way, and cornerback Brandin Echols recovered it to put Pittsburgh at Indianapolis’ 11-yard line. The Colts’ defense forced a turnover on downs to mitigate the damage, but that trend wouldn’t hold up.
The Steelers scored touchdowns on the Colts’ next three turnovers, with Jones at the center of it all. The veteran QB finished 31-of-50 passing for 342 yards and one touchdown, plus another 1-yard rushing TD on the Colts’ first drive. But he also threw three interceptions and lost a pair of fumbles on strip-sacks. The first interception was arguably the worst of the bunch, as Jones failed to diagnosis the coverage and threw it straight to linebacker Payton Wilson.
That was one of Jones’ worst passes of the season, especially considering he’d thrown only three interceptions though his first eight games, but it’s worth acknowledging how often he was under siege. Jones was pressured a season-high 18 times, completing just six of his 13 passes for 88 yards and two picks when under those circumstances, per Next Gen Stats. He was also sacked five times — he was sacked only nine times through his first eight games.
“Obviously, that’s on me. I gotta protect the ball better and make sure we’re giving ourselves a chance,” Jones said. “I thought we did some good things at times, but just turnovers and some of those things, I gotta clean up.”
The Colts are still 7-2, but the narratives are coming, about a quarterback whose troubling past isn’t too far behind him; a team that hasn’t won the AFC South since 2014; and a franchise trying to return to “the upper quartile of winners,” as former Colts owner Jim Irsay once said.
The only way to extinguish the doubt is to respond. Indianapolis’ next opportunity will be in Berlin against the Falcons. On Sunday, Atlanta lost by a point to the Patriots, who are tied with the Colts for the best record in the AFC.
“(We’ll) come back to work a little pissed off,” Nelson said. “And like I said, losing is a part of life, and it makes you better as long as you learn from it.”
Indianapolis, IN
‘We’re a bunch of psychos’: Crashing is part of the job for Indy 500 drivers
Alexander Rossi shares update on injuries sustained at practice
ECR’s Alexander Rossi shares an update on injuries sustained during Monday’s crash.
INDIANAPOLIS – Putting a revolving panel of 33 race car drivers in front of dozens of reporters on and off over a couple of weeks might be as good a metaphor for the Indianapolis 500 as there is.
Every lap takes us closer to the finish, and although not every one is exciting there’s usually some captivating entertainment along the way.
Here’s a collection of some of the insightful and interesting comments – and some silliness – from media day ahead of the 110th running May 24 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Perspective on crashing from three drivers
After crashing during practice May 18 and undergoing a small outpatient procedure on his right ankle, front-row qualifier Alexander Rossi has been cleared to drive.
Not that there was a doubt in his mind.
“Unfortunately I’ve crashed twice here. Both times have been turn two,” Rossi said. “I recovered from that. I don’t see this being any different.
“We crash race cars. That’s part of the job description.”
Rossi needs crutches to get around because he can’t put weight on the ankle, but he was able to get in and out of his car, drive on the simulator and react to situations to the satisfaction of IndyCar medical officials. Rossi will have a brace on his foot, but was able to wear his usual shoe.
Before knowing for certain Rossi had been cleared, Conor Daly was asked about the drivers’ mindset in regard to injuries.
“We’re a bunch of psychos, honestly,” Daly said. “If you have this job, you’re very lucky to have this job, so you don’t want to let that go away at all.
“You’d have to rip his limbs off to have him not in that car.”
Pato O’Ward was caught up in Rossi’s crash and also will race a backup car.
At Indy, where qualifying laps average more than 230 mph, a high percentage of crashes are brutal, O’Ward said, and yet there cannot be any second-guessing.
“But after you have that first shunt, one, you definitely feel more like a man when you get back in it, and two, I feel like it just puts some reality into your head,” O’Ward said. “Like dude, you’re moving. You need to be aware of your surroundings, be careful who you’re running [around]. You do grow quite a bit. At least I did.
“I way much rather would be doing this than doing something else. … We are kind of risking our lives, but this is straight-up badass.”
The Penske-fication of Andretti Global
For the first time since 2009, two-time IndyCar series champion and 2018 Indy 500 winner Will Power is at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with a team not named Penske.
Andretti Global is happy to have that experience at its disposal.
“There’s a lot of things that we’ve been able to kind of bounce off him to figure out exactly what we need,” said Andretti driver Kyle Kirkwood, who is again a title contender. “Fortunately with him coming in with his experience and his work ethic, it’s been a big push for our team because he’s like, well, these were the expectations when I was driving at the other place and we were winning races, so these are now the expectations now.
“I think it’s kind of pushed people along really, really nicely, and it’s been a really good atmosphere among the team with him involved and kind of pushing us. There’s been a lot of positives out of his tenure so far.”
During Power’s time at Penske, the organization has collected six of its 20 Indianapolis victories and five of its 17 series titles while Andretti won three 500s and one championship.
Don’t say the ‘r’ word
The weather forecast for the weekend and beyond leaves a bit to be desired.
After a long two weeks, most drivers and teams are ready to move on come late Sunday afternoon. In fact the full-time teams have to turn the page quickly. They’re on track in Detroit five days later. But not everyone.
“I’ll do it on Thursday, I don’t care,” said 33rd starter Jack Harvey, who has no more races on his 2026 driving schedule. “We have to extend this month as long as we can.”
Pick a finger
Times change. So do the gestures from angry drivers.
“The thumbs-up has become the new middle finger,” second-year starter Louis Foster said. “’I feel like maybe we’ve become a bit more politically correct over the years and gone to a thumbs-up.
“Which I think is even worse. If someone cuts me off when I’m driving, I don’t middle finger them, I thumbs-up them, ‘You’re a great driver, man.’ I haven’t seen anyone flip me off recently.”
That brings us back to Rossi and his injuries from his crash. In addition to the procedure he had on his right ankle, he suffered an injury to a finger on his left hand.
Which finger?
“I can’t show you that one,” he said. “I’ll get in a lot of trouble.”
Those other racing sausages
The “Weenie 500” featuring the six Oscar Meyer Wienermobiles was an instant hit in 2025, so naturally it is back. Last-row starter Sting Ray Robb is among the IndyCar drivers scheduled to serve as crew chiefs.
“I think the jokes write themselves,” he said. And indeed they do.
“You want to relish that opportunity, I guess,” responded IndyCar’s Dave Furst, the moderator.
“It’s good that you mustered the courage to get that pun out,” preceded the next question.
Indianapolis, IN
Standouts on and off field: 3 finalists for Indianapolis City Male Athlete of the Year
Bishop Chatard senior Kalen Sargent is the City Male Athlete of Year
City Male Athlete of the Year Kalen Sargent picked up track as a sophomore at Bishop Chatard. He will run at IU on scholarship.
The Marion County Athletic Association will soon name its City and County Athletes of the Year, an award that dates to 1950 and grew to include girls’ achievements in 1979.
The awards are geared toward athletic achievement, but almost every winner over the years has exhibited impressive credentials in and out of their athletic, academic and personal areas. Generally, multi-sport athletes are given consideration over single-sport athletes, though in some cases a single-sport athlete has been so outstanding that he or she has been selected as the winner.
Here are the three finalists for City Male Athlete of the Year (Bishop Chatard’s Kalen Sargent was last year’s winner):
Phoenix Boyer, Bishop Chatard
Boyer, a track and field and cross county standout, was the state runner-up in the 300-meter hurdles as a junior and state runner-up in the 4×400-meter relay as a sophomore and junior. Boyer was an All-City in cross county as a junior, a three-time sectional champion in track and field and a six-time state finalist (with the spring still to be completed). He was part of two City championships in cross country and three City titles in track and field. Chatard finished 11th in state last year. Boyer, an honor roll student with a 4.17 GPA, is the school record holder in the 400, 300 hurdles and 4×400 relay team. He owns the fourth-fastest time in the 300 hurdles in state history. Boyer plans to run track at Indiana.
Kyle Harden, Cathedral
Harden was an eight-time letterwinner in football and wrestling for the Irish, winning four City championships during his high school career. He was the City Defensive Player of the Year as a junior and was twice named All-City. Harden won four sectional titles, three regional championships and three semistate titles in wrestling. He helped his team to four City championships and four sectional, regional and semistate titles. Harden, selected for the IFCA North-South All-Star game, was named Academic All-State and is part of Cathedral’s student athletic board. He will play football at UIndy.
Corshawn Sartin, Crispus Attucks
Sartin earned a total of 12 letters in high school in football, baseball, basketball, boys volleyball and track and field. He was named to the All-City football team, earning Athlete of the Year designation. He was two-time all-conference, two-time All-City and an all-state defensive back. Sartin helped his Attucks’ teams to four conference football titles. He is a member of the honor roll and plans to study business and play football at Trine. Sartin volunteered with the Red Dog Youth Football organization.
Call Star reporter Kyle Neddenriep at (317) 444-6649.
Indianapolis, IN
Indianapolis VA Medical Center receives federal funding for facility upgrades
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center announced it received new federal funding for facility upgrades aimed at improving care for veterans.
The funding is part of a nationwide $4.8 billion investment through the VA’s maintenance program.
In a release, hospital leaders say the upgrades will help ensure safer facilities and better care for local veterans.
The projects include repairing roofs on two buildings and replacing the parking garage sprinkler system.
According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, “this investment is just one of the many ways the Trump Administration is making VA work better for veterans.” The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs says 100,000 new veterans have been enrolled in VA health care this year, and since January 2025, 34 new VA health care facilities have opened.
In addition, 51,936 homeless Veterans across the country have been permanently housed in the 2025 fiscal year, according to the release.
“Improved facilities, equipment and infrastructure mean better care for Veterans, and these funds will enable Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center to achieve that goal,” Michael Hershman, Medical Center Director said.
“Better care for Veterans is our goal, and these projects will enable us to achieve just that.”
-
Detroit, MI1 minute agoSouthfield Freeway closed after shooting in Detroit, state police says
-
San Francisco, CA13 minutes agoSan Francisco soccer league Girls Got Goals ready for World Cup in Bay Area
-
Dallas, TX19 minutes agoDallas felon arrested after allegedly shooting 14-year-old inside vacant Pleasant Grove home
-
Miami, FL25 minutes agoSister of high-ranking Cuba conglomerate official arrested by ICE in Miami
-
Boston, MA31 minutes ago
FIFA permit delays for watch parties deepen World Cup woes in Massachusetts – The Boston Globe
-
Denver, CO37 minutes agoPolice investigate shooting at Montbello Recreation Center
-
Seattle, WA43 minutes ago3 Seattle Seahawks UDFAs Who Could Steal a Spot on 53-Man Roster
-
San Diego, CA49 minutes agoColorado Muslims grieving, want accountability after San Diego mosque shooting