Connect with us

Detroit, MI

Trump is threatening to block a new bridge between Detroit and Canada from opening

Published

on

Trump is threatening to block a new bridge between Detroit and Canada from opening


FILE – The Saginaw passes construction on the Gordie Howe International Bridge connecting on the Detroit River connecting Windsor, Ontario and Detroit, Oct. 25, 2023.

Paul Sancya/AP


hide caption

Advertisement

toggle caption

Paul Sancya/AP

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Monday threatened to block the opening of a new Canadian-built bridge across the Detroit River, demanding that Canada turn over at least half of the ownership of the bridge and agree to other unspecified demands in his latest salvo over cross-border trade issues.

“We will start negotiations, IMMEDIATELY. With all that we have given them, we should own, perhaps, at least one half of this asset,” Trump said in a lengthy social media post, complaining that the United States would get nothing from the bridge and that Canada did not use U.S. steel to built it.

Advertisement

The Gordie Howe International Bridge, named after a Canadian hockey star who played for the Detroit Red Wings for 25 seasons, had been expected to open in early 2026, according to information on the project’s website. The project was negotiated by former Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder — a Republican — and paid for by the Canadian government to help ease congestion over the existing Ambassador Bridge and Detroit-Windsor tunnel. Work has been underway since 2018.

It’s unclear how Trump would seek to block the bridge from being opened, and the White House did not immediately return a request for comment on more details. The Canadian Embassy in Washington also did not immediately return a request for comment.

Trump’s threat comes as the relationship between the U.S. and Canada increasingly sours during the U.S. president’s second term. The United States-Mexico-Canada trade agreement is up for review this year, and Trump has been taking a hard-line position ahead of those talks, including by issuing new tariff threats.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney, meanwhile, has spoken out on the world stage against economic coercion by the United States.

Sen. Elissa Slotkin, D-Mich., said the Canadian-funded project is a “huge boon” to her state and its economic future. “You’ll be able to move cargo from Montreal to Miami without ever stopping at a street light,” Slotkin told The Associated Press.

Advertisement

“So to shoot yourself in the foot and threaten the Gordie Howe Bridge means that this guy has completely lost the plot on what’s good for us versus just what’s spite against the Canadians,” Slotkin said.

Michigan, a swing state that Trump carried in both 2016 and 2024, has so far largely avoided the brunt of his second-term crackdown, which has targeted blue states with aggressive immigration raids and cuts to federal funding for major infrastructure projects.

Trump and Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer have also maintained an unusually cordial relationship, with the president publicly praising her during an Oval Office appearance last April. The two also shared a hug last year ahead of Trump’s announcement of a new fighter jet mission for an Air National Guard base in Michigan.

While Canada paid for the project, the bridge will be operated under a joint ownership agreement between Michigan and Canada, said Stacey LaRouche, press secretary to Whitmer.

“This is the busiest trade crossing in North America,” LaRouche said, saying the bridge was “good for Michigan workers and it’s good for Michigan’s auto industry” as well as being a good example of bipartisan and international cooperation.

Advertisement

“It’s going to open one way or another, and the governor looks forward to attending the ribbon-cutting,” LaRouche said.

Rep. Shri Thanedar, the Democratic House representative of Detroit, said blocking the bridge would be “crazy” and said Trump’s attacks on Canada weren’t good for business or jobs. “The bridge is going to help Michigan’s economy. There’s so much commerce between Michigan and Canada. They’re one of our biggest partners,” Thanedar said.

Democratic Rep. Debbie Dingell of Ann Arbor brushed aside the president’s threat, saying she’s looking forward to the bridge’s opening later in the spring. “And I’ll be there,” Dingell said.

“That bridge is the biggest crossing in this country on the northern border. It’s jobs. It’s about protecting our economy. It was built with union jobs on both sides,” said Dingell. “It’s going to open. Canada is our ally.”



Source link

Advertisement

Detroit, MI

Air France flight bound for Detroit diverted to Canada over passenger from Congo, officials say

Published

on

Air France flight bound for Detroit diverted to Canada over passenger from Congo, officials say


An Air France flight from Paris to Detroit, Michigan, was forced to divert to Montreal, Canada, on Wednesday due to U.S. flight restrictions linked to the Ebola outbreak after it was determined that one of the passengers was from the Democratic Republic of Congo, federal officials said.

Air France boarded the passenger “in error on a flight to the United States,” a U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesperson told CBS News in a statement.

“Due to entry restrictions put in place to reduce the risk of the Ebola virus, the passenger should not have boarded the plane,” the CBP spokesperson said. “CBP took decisive action and prohibited the flight carrying that traveler from landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, and instead, diverted to Montreal, Canada.”

CBP did not say when the person had last been in the Congo or whether they were showing symptoms of the virus. It wasn’t immediately clear if the passenger was a Congolese national or had been traveling there.

Advertisement

When reached about the incident, the Federal Aviation Administration directed CBS News to CBP. 

CBS News has also reached out to Air France and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for comment.

According to the flight tracking website FlightAware, Air France Flight 378 from Paris-Charles de Gaulle International Airport landed at Montreal Trudeau International Airport at 5:15 p.m. ET. The status of the passenger from the Congo was unknown. It was also unclear whether the flight, with the rest of the passengers, would continue on to Detroit.

On Monday, the CDC announced that people without U.S. passports who had traveled to Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the past three weeks would be restricted from entering the country.

Earlier Wednesday, the Department of Homeland Security, the parent agency of CBP, confirmed that beginning Thursday, it would require all U.S.-bound flights carrying foreign travelers who have been in Congo, Uganda or South Sudan at any point in the previous 21 days to fly into Washington-Dulles International Airport in Virginia.

Advertisement

The rule, according to its language, is designed to funnel those travelers to an airport “where the U.S. government is focusing public health resources to implement enhanced public health measures.”

It’s unclear how the DHS rule impacts the CDC’s earlier order.

An Ebola outbreak centered in eastern Congo was confirmed May 15 by the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday there were at least 600 suspected Ebola cases so far, including 139 suspected deaths from the virus. 

Health officials say the new outbreak is linked to the Bundibugyo strain, for which there are no approved vaccines or treatments, according to CBS News medical correspondent Dr. Céline Gounder. 

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

Hart of Detroit Summer fest set for Juneteenth with Kash Doll and more

Published

on

Hart of Detroit Summer fest set for Juneteenth with Kash Doll and more


Some of the city’s top music stars will headline the new Hart of Detroit Summer Festival set for June 19 at Hart Plaza. 

The riverside party is 12 hours of hip-hop music, DJs, gospel karaoke, food trucks and a chance to shop small businesses. Headliners include Detroit rappers Kash Doll, Babytron, Icewear Vezzo, Trick Trick, Bruiser Wolf, Babyfxce E, 1UpTee and more, plus New Jersey’s Fetty Wap and Atlanta’s Boldy James.

The concerts will start at 5 p.m. and span two stages.

“Expected to draw attendees from across the Midwest, the festival blends music, culture, entrepreneurship and community into one of Detroit’s defining summer experiences,” reads a press release announcing the event. 

Advertisement

The festival runs from noon to midnight. General admission tickets start at $75.63 with VIP access ranging $139.49-$239.40.

Tickets and a full schedule can be found at 313summer.com.

mbaetens@detroitnews.com

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

After back-to-back days of severe storms in Metro Detroit, cooler, calmer weather arrives mid-week

Published

on

After back-to-back days of severe storms in Metro Detroit, cooler, calmer weather arrives mid-week


4Warn Weather – After multiple rounds of severe weather to start the week, southeast Michigan is finally getting a break from the storms.

The break comes after powerful winds, hail, downed trees, and scattered power outages once again swept across the region Tuesday afternoon and evening.

The latest round developed in hot, humid air as temperatures surged into the mid- and upper-80s Tuesday, helping fuel another active severe weather day across Metro Detroit and much of Southeast Michigan.

While hail was reported, damaging straight-line winds were the primary threat as storms raced eastward.

Advertisement

The severe weather came just one day after violent storms on Monday afternoon and evening, leaving many residents already cleaning up debris and dealing with outages before Tuesday’s storms arrived.

Numerous storm reports were received on Tuesday across Southeast Michigan.

In Oakland County, several trees were snapped at Kensington Metropark near New Hudson around 2:30 p.m.

Additional reports described large trees and limbs blocking roads near White Lake and Keego Harbor, including damage to a camper from a falling limb.

Farther east, emergency managers reported trees and power lines down across portions of Macomb County, including near Washington Township and Stony Creek Metropark.

Advertisement

Wind gusts approached or exceeded severe limits in several areas. Detroit City Airport recorded a 54 mph gust, Monroe’s Custer Airport measured a 59 mph gust, and the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club along Lake St. Clair measured a powerful 76 mph marine thunderstorm wind gust shortly before 5 p.m.

Hail was also reported in Wayne County, including dime- to quarter-sized hail in Northwest Detroit.

Even late Tuesday night, drivers should remain alert for lingering hazards.

Some roads may still have ponding after downpours, especially in low-lying areas.

Utility crews also continue working to clear downed branches and restore power in spots hit by the strongest winds.

Advertisement

Drivers are urged to use caution overnight and avoid any downed power lines or barricaded streets.

The good news is that a dramatic pattern change is now underway.

After highs climbed well into the 80s on Tuesday, much cooler air is spilling into the Great Lakes behind a strong cold front.

High temperatures on Wednesday will struggle to reach the mid-60s across Metro Detroit, several degrees below the seasonal average of around 70 degrees for this time of year.

Wednesday

High temperatures Wednesday will struggle to reach the mid-60s across Metro Detroit, several degrees below the seasonal average of around 70 degrees for this time of year. (WDIV)

Wednesday will feel noticeably different from the summerlike heat earlier this week. North to northeast winds and cooler air off the lakes will keep conditions crisp through the day, with some communities near Lake Huron staying in the 50s.

Advertisement

For Tigers fans heading to Comerica Park on Wednesday evening as Detroit hosts the Cleveland Guardians for a 6:40 p.m. first pitch, weather conditions look much quieter.

Temperatures will likely fall through the upper 50s during the game with a light breeze and dry conditions.

Fans may want to bring a light jacket or hoodie after the sharp drop from Tuesday’s heat.

The cooler pattern continues through the rest of the work week with highs mainly in the 60s on Thursday and Friday.

Memorial Day Weekend

The forecast for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend remains a mixed bag.

Advertisement

Rain chances return Friday afternoon and continue at times Friday night into Saturday as another system moves into the Great Lakes.

A few showers could linger into parts of Sunday, meaning portions of the holiday weekend may be wet at times.

Despite the rain chances, temperatures will rebound into the 70s over the weekend with Memorial Day itself currently looking mainly dry and comfortable.

Monday is expected to feature partly sunny to mostly cloudy skies with highs in the upper 70s, which is favorable weather for parades, cookouts, and outdoor ceremonies.

After damaging winds and cleanup efforts across Southeast Michigan, many residents will likely welcome the cooler and quieter stretch ahead.

Advertisement

If you have storm or damage photos, share them with Local 4 at MIPics.

Copyright 2026 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending