Detroit, MI
PHOTO GALLERY: Girls Soccer District Semifinals – Dearborn Fordson vs Detroit Western
After opening up their postseason run with a shutout of city rival Dearborn Edsel Ford in overtime last week, the girls’ soccer team from Dearborn Fordson resumed their quest through the Division 1 state playoffs on Tuesday.
Playing in the second of two district semifinal round games at Wyandotte Roosevelt, the Tractors opposed a Detroit Western International team that rolled by Detroit Cass Tech 7-0 in their respective district quarterfinal match last week.
The two teams played deep into the night and with more late-game theatrics, the locals from Dearborn extended their season for at least one more game with a 3-2 comeback victory over the Cowgirls.
Photo gallery is courtesy of Alexander Muller.
Detroit, MI
Grading Jack Campbell Detroit Lions Contract Extension
The Detroit Lions checked off a major item from their offseason to-do list Thursday.
They inked linebacker Jack Campbell, the heart and soul of their defense, to a four-year contract extension worth $81 million (reportedly $51.5 million guaranteed). It was a well-deserved extension for Campbell, who was named to his first Pro Bowl and earned first-team AP All-Pro honors in 2025.
The 25-year-old will enter the 2026 season as the second-highest paid off-ball linebacker in the NFL at $20.25 million per year, trailing only San Francisco’s Fred Warner ($21M/year).
Campbell led all Lions defenders – and finished second in the league – with 176 tackles last season, while playing in all but eight of the team’s 1,105 defensive snaps. He also notched career-high totals in sacks (five), forced fumbles (three) and fumble recoveries (two) while recording a Pro Football Focus overall grade of 90.2. It marked the second-best PFF overall grade among 88 qualified linebackers a season ago.
In addition to his high-level production, Campbell has donned the green dot and served as the de facto “quarterback” of the defense the last two seasons, relaying calls to the rest of the unit from Detroit’s defensive coaching staff.
Lions head man Dan Campbell offered high praise for the middle linebacker this past December.
“He’s our bell cow,” Campbell said. “He’s smart and he’s instinctive, and he is snap to whistle all out, all the time. In practice, too. And he doesn’t take plays off, he doesn’t take days off. He goes after the football, he’s a ball guy. So, he’s invaluable.”
Additional Lions Insider Analysis: Exploring If Germany Game Will Significantly Impact Lions 2026 Season
The fourth-year pro has grown into an immensely valuable member of Detroit’s defense, morphing from an inconsistently productive, part-time starter in 2023 (57.3 PFF grade) to one of the NFL’s very best linebackers. And the Iowa product has proven to be especially proficient against the run, with no less than a 75.9 PFF run-defense grade in his first three NFL seasons.
Campbell has proven time and time again he’s capable of captaining a defense, and he’s more than validated Detroit general manager Brad Holmes’ initially criticized decision to select an off-ball linebacker at No. 18 overall in the 2023 NFL Draft.
“This is Jack Campbell’s defense,” Lions defensive coordinator Kelvin Sheppard told reporters at the NFL combine in February. “And I don’t hesitate when I say that. This is Jack Campbell’s defense, and everybody in that locker room knows it, point blank, period. It all goes through Jack.”
He’s more than earned the right to be the leader of Sheppard’s unit, and Detroit should be in good hands with Campbell patrolling the middle of the defense in 2026.
Holmes & Co. made an extremely wise decision locking up the gritty linebacker until 2030 and should be commended for such. At this present juncture, I believe the Campbell extension deserves an “A” grade.
Follow
Detroit, MI
Southfield Freeway closed after shooting in Detroit, state police says
The Southfield Freeway was closed Thursday night after a shooting occurred in the area of M-39 near Joy Road, the Michigan State Police reported on X.
“Troopers are currently in the preliminary stages of the investigation, and additional information will be released as it becomes available,” the state police said.
Officials said the freeway is expected to remain closed for “several hours while investigators process the scene.” There was no indication about whether anyone was injured in the shooting. The state police gave no further details.
“The roadway will be reopened as soon as the investigation allows,” the state police said.
rburr@detroitnews.com
Detroit, MI
Former Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan drops out of Michigan governor race
DETROIT – Mike Duggan is dropping out of the race for Michigan’s next governor.
The former Detroit mayor announced his withdrawal as an Independent candidate from the 2026 gubernatorial race on Thursday, May 21, on his campaign website.
You can read his full statement below:
Dear Friends,
I am so disappointed to have to write you this letter.
For the last 18 months I’ve worked every day to try to change Michigan’s toxic party politics. I’ve been supported by hundreds of volunteers who believe deeply that years of constant Democratic-Republican conflict in Lansing have led to our schools declining, our housing costs rising, and our young people moving out of Michigan in record numbers.
We knew the Independent route was filled with challenge. Even against those odds, the excitement for real change carried this campaign upward for more than a year. In every one of the 5-10 town halls a week I was holding across Michigan, we hosted Democrat, Republican, and Independent neighbors all mixed together in lively and positive discussions. It was a remarkable experience.
But by April, the mood of the country had shifted suddenly and dramatically. Democrats (and many Independents) were unified in anger as Trump’s war in Iran dragged on and gas prices rose above $5 a gallon. On May 5, the Democratic State Senate candidate in Saginaw won 60% of the vote in a seat Republicans thought would be very competitive.
Against the Democratic headwinds, we worked twice as hard. We continued to pile up huge numbers of union endorsements, once the unions learned that Michigan election law allowed voters to vote both straight ticket Democrat and also vote Duggan as an Independent.
But for the public in general, our internal polling showed the intense anger over gas prices and Iran was boosting Democrats in every office nationally. The Chamber poll last week showing we’d fallen 11 points behind the Democratic candidate reflects that reality.
Being down 11 points in May wouldn’t discourage me – I’ve been down worse than that in the past. But this time it’s compounded by our inability to build serious national fundraising support. Michigan donors have been extraordinarily generous in supporting this campaign – 94% of my donors come from Michigan. We raised more in-state than any other candidate.
But Governor’s campaigns are today funded overwhelmingly from well-established networks of national party money, which is why I’ve been all across America meeting with national groups to try to build a competitive fundraising network for Independents. There is much interest, but we’ve finally concluded the national fundraising for these groups is too much in its infancy to be of great help to our race in 2026. As generous as our Michigan donors have been, we will be strongly outspent by the national Republican and Democratic parties this fall.
If we were even in the polls and behind in fundraising, we have a path to winning. If we were behind in the polls and even in fundraising, we have a path. But we’re behind in both. It’s just not right to ask our volunteers, faith leaders, unions, elected officials and donors to continue in a campaign that, in my heart, I no longer feel good about our chances to win.
I got into this race to try to change our politics, not to be a spoiler. I’m still hopeful our campaign will prove to have a real long-term impact. 23% support in the last poll means more than 1.6 million Michigan voters are today looking for a Governor candidate serious about reducing the toxic partisan politics. If the candidates on the ballot this year take that message to heart and truly reach out to those voters, we will have accomplished something important.
I will never be able to express the gratitude I feel for all your support and encouragement. I wish I could have done better for you.
Mike Duggan
Duggan was the first candidate to announce his bid for governor, as he made the announcement after he finished serving as Detroit’s mayor.
The once-Democrat was credited by many for leading Detroit out of bankruptcy into a thriving city.
He was elected mayor in 2013, running a write-in campaign after a ballot challenge.
Since Duggan was in office, violent crime decreased, and Detroit’s population increased slightly in 2023. That was the first uptick in population since the 1950s.
Current candidates running for Michigan’s next governor include Democrats Jocelyn Benson and Chris Swanson, and Republicans John James, Aric Nesbitt, Mike Cox, Perry Johnson and Ralph Rebandt.
Benson, in response to Duggan’s announcement, released the following statement:
“I want to thank Mayor Mike Duggan for what he brought to this race and for his years of service to Detroit. At a time when politics can feel divided and cynical, we need more civility, more listening, and more people willing to work together to move our state forward. I welcome Mayor Duggan’s ideas, his supporters, and everyone who believes Michigan’s future is bigger than division — and that it can be a place where anyone can afford to live, work, and thrive. We may not always agree on everything, but we share a commitment to building a stronger Michigan. And that work continues in this campaign.”
Jocelyn Benson, Secretary of State and Democratic candidate in Michigan gubernatorial race
James also released the following statement in response to Duggan’s announcement:
“I want to thank Mike Duggan for his years of service to the people of Michigan and Detroit. I respect anyone willing to step into the arena and serve something bigger than themselves. While we have real disagreements on policy, we both recognize Michigan is headed in the wrong direction.
Our state has endured too much decline and political dysfunction. I’m ready to work with anyone willing to deliver real solutions, reject the politics of division, and fight for safer communities, stronger families and economic growth. Our state’s future is too important for anything less.”
John James, representative for Michigan’s 10th district and Republican candidate in Michigan’s gubernatorial race
Copyright 2026 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.
-
Lifestyle13 minutes agoVideo: Stephen Colbert Closes Out “Late Show”
-
Technology24 minutes agoTwelve South’s AirFly Pro 2 has hit one of its best prices ahead of summer travel
-
World31 minutes agoEbola treatment center set on fire in Congo after residents clash with authorities over victim’s body
-
Politics37 minutes agoTop Republican warns Trump against making a deal with Iran: ‘Finish the job’
-
Health43 minutes agoHantavirus exposure risk may be higher than believed in parts of US, study finds
-
Sports49 minutes agoGiants’ key defensive tackle tears Achilles tendon during practice, out for the season: reports
-
Technology55 minutes agoInheritance scam email looks real but steals your data
-
Business1 hour ago
Another California tech company lays off thousands