Detroit, MI
Kamala Harris in Michigan • Detroit River rescue • Samantha Woll's murder still unsolved a year later
Kamala Harris visiting Michigan with Liz Cheney
Vice President Kamala Harris will be in Michigan on Monday for a moderated conversation with former Congresswoman Liz Cheney. Stops in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin are also scheduled, too.
MONDAY NEWS HIT – Vice President Kamala Harris will visit Michigan on Monday for a moderated conversation with former Congresswoman Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) about her plans for the United States if elected president.
Details about the visit have not been publicly revealed, but the event is planned for Metro Detroit.
The pair will also stop in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin as part of the conversation tour focused on key battleground states.
Monday’s stop will be the fourth time Harris has been in Michigan in a week.
Last Monday, the vice president and Democratic presidential nominee did an interview with The Breakfast Club host Charlamagne tha God and a watch party for the interview. She then returned to Michigan on Friday to speak in Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Waterford.
Harris stayed in the state until Saturday, where she hosted a rally in Detroit.
Detroit River water rescue
A man was pulled from the Detroit River early Monday after fishermen heard him yelling and called for help.
The call about the man in the water came in around 3 a.m. Detroit firefighters, the Coast Guard, and Border Patrol all responded to help rescue the man.
It is not clear why the man was in the water or how he got there.
Dangers of the river, especially at night, include the temperature, currents, and ships that have difficulty seeing if someone is in the water when it is dark.
“It’s chilly on the riverbank, and I’m going to say the water is pretty cold,” said Samuel Vazquez, a chief with the Detroit Fire Department.
Samantha Woll’s murder still unsolved a year later
A year after Samantha Woll was found stabbed to death outside her Detroit home, the crime is still unsolved.
Woll’s body was discovered outside her Joliet Place condo on Oct. 21, 2023. A suspect, Michael Jackson-Bolanos, was arrested and tried, but a jury found him not guilty earlier this year.
Prosecutors used a drop of blood on Jackson-Bolanos’ jacket, as well as location data to show that he was near the murder scene and accuse him of the stabbing. Jackson-Bolanos admitted that he touched Woll’s body, but only after she was already dead. He testified that he saw her body while breaking into vehicles in the area. According to his testimony, he didn’t call 911 because he did not want to get in trouble since he had a criminal record and was committing a crime.
The prosecutors noted that Jackson-Bolanos repeatedly lied to investigators. A jury found him guilty of lying to police, and he is currently in prison for that. However, jurors did not have enough evidence to convict him of the murder.
Woll’s ex-boyfriend, Jeff Herbstman, was also questioned after calling 911 and saying he killed his girlfriend. However, he was released, and investigators determined his confession was the result of his mental health and medication he was taking.
Woll’s family continues to believe Jackson-Bolanos was the killer, and they fear they will never get justice.
“We feel justice should be served. My sister’s murderer got away with it. That is unbelievable in a country like this,” Woll’s sister Monica said.
Near-record temperatures today
Today’s temperatures will be close to record setting.
The record high for Oct. 21 is 81, which was set in 2007.
With highs forecasted to be about 79 today, we far exceed the seasonal value of 60 and could potentially tie or break the record if temperatures go just a bit higher than expected.
In addition to the warmth, it will be sunny.
Today will be the warmest day of the week. That warmth sticks around for a few days before a cold front pushes temps down later this week.
Live on FOX 2
Daily Forecast
As noted above, it’s going to be a warm and sunny day.
Warmest Day
Temperatures could soar near 80 degrees today. Much cooler by the end of the week. Meteorologist Lori Pinson has your forecast
What else we’re watching
- Michigan gas price averages are down one cent from a week ago, according to data from AAA.
- Jake Bates kicked a 44-yard field goal with 15 seconds left and the Detroit Lions beat Minnesota 31-29 on Sunday, handing the Vikings their first loss in a back-and-forth game befitting of the NFL’s strongest division.
- A 57-year-old runner collapsed and died during the Detroit Free Press Marathon on Sunday.
- A mother and her adult son are both dead after an apparent murder-suicide Sunday in Warren, police said.
- Bobcat United is encouraging people to continue to support Bobcat Bonnie’s after staff at the now-shuttered Ypsilanti location and the business reached an agreement Friday. Workers will receive severance pay.
Hurricane Oscar makes second landfall in Cuba on Sunday
Hurricane Oscar maintained Category 1 strength as the small hurricane made a second landfall in Cuba Sunday evening after rapidly intensifying over the weekend and making its first landfall in the Bahamas earlier in the day.
Oscar rapidly intensified from a tropical storm into an 85-mph hurricane on Saturday, causing islands in its potential path to issue watches and warnings ahead of the system’s arrival.
Hurricane Oscar already made one landfall early Sunday morning on Great Inagua Island in the Bahamas as a Category 1 hurricane with winds of 80 mph just before 5 a.m. ET.
Perhaps some good news is that Oscar is expected to weaken to a tropical storm as it moves across eastern Cuba Sunday night and Monday, but it’s still expected to produce strong winds and torrential rain in the region before moving back across the central Bahamas on Tuesday.
Detroit, MI
Detroit teen charged, will be tried as adult in downtown shooting
A 17-year-old has been charged in a nonfatal ‘teen takeover’ shooting.
The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office charged 17‑year‑old Ramon Javon Perez Smith of Detroit in connection with the non‑fatal shooting of a 14‑year‑old Detroit male. Prosecutor Kym Worthy confirmed that Smith will be tried as an adult.
Smith is charged with assault with intent to murder, assault with intent to do great bodily harm, felonious assault, carrying a concealed weapon, and three counts of felony firearm.
He was arraigned Saturday and given a $500,000 cash bond, along with a GPS tether, house arrest, and an order barring contact with the victim or any witnesses. A bond re‑determination hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, May 27, 2026, before Judge McConico.
Another teen was also charged in the shooting that happened in downtown Detroit during the “teen takeover” event.
The preliminary hearing for a 16-year old from Detroit was held Tuesday on charges of carrying a concealed weapon. He received a $4,000 bond with house arrest.
He was also ordered not to possess any firearms or illegal substances. A pre-trial hearing is scheduled for July 2.
Detroit police were called to the 1300 block of Farmer Street around 9:37 p.m. on May 17, after reports of a shooting. Officers arrived to find the teenage victim with a gunshot wound to the chest. Medics transported him to a nearby hospital where he received emergency treatment and is expected to survive.
According to investigators, Smith was involved in a physical altercation with a group that included the victim. Prosecutors allege that Smith pulled out a handgun and fired multiple shots into the group, hitting the 14‑year‑old before fleeing the scene. Detroit police arrested Smith shortly afterward.
“We are thankful that the 14‑year‑old victim received immediate medical care and will survive this traumatic event,” Prosecutor Worthy said in the release.
mjohnson@detroitnews.com
Detroit, MI
3 injured in separate weekend shootings in Detroit, police say
At least three people are injured after separate weekend shootings across Detroit as of Saturday night.
According to police, a man on the 20600 block of West Eight Mile Road assaulted another man before firing shots on Saturday around 3:04 p.m. Officials said the man shot was grazed by at least one bullet and the suspected shooter was arrested. A weapon was recovered by law enforcement at the scene.
Roughly 40 minutes after the shooting on Eight Mile Road, a man was shot and had his vehicle stolen on the 19300 block of Rosemont Avenue, according to police. The man was sitting inside his gray Chevrolet Equinox when an unknown individual approached with a gun and demanded money.
Officials said the man in the Chevrolet was shot after he exited his vehicle. He was taken to the hospital and, as of Saturday night, is in stable condition. The individual who approached the man left the scene in the Equinox, according to police.
Just before 6 p.m. Saturday, a male teenager was shot while driving in the area of Woodward and West Hildale avenues, near Palmer Park, police said. According to officials, the teen, whose exact age has yet to be disclosed, was traveling in the area when an individual in another vehicle pulled alongside him and fired shots.
The teen was taken to the hospital. As of Saturday night, he is also in stable condition, officials said.
Police have yet to disclose whether an arrest has been made in the shootings on Rosemont Avenue or near Palmer Park.
Detroit, MI
Rain-soaked Detroit job seekers show skills, grit at Comerica Park hiring event
DETROIT – Hundreds of Detroiters ditched the paper application and showed up ready to work Saturday, demonstrating their trade skills live in front of contractors looking to hire — right outside Comerica Park.
More than 620 people turned out for the event, braving wet weather to complete a hands-on skills course designed to let job seekers prove what they could do on the spot.
“We’re out in the rain and we’re supporting the city of Detroit,” said Luke Harris, one of the job seekers who participated.
The rain didn’t slow anyone down. Determined applicants trudged through puddles to finish the skills course, performing directly in front of contractors scouting for new hires.
Guy Cohoon of Clark Contracting Services said he was looking for one thing above all else: “Anyone that wants to come in, work hard, and show up every day on time.”
Partners unite to put Detroiters to work
The event was organized by a coalition of local partners, including Olympia Development, the Detroit Tigers, the city of Detroit, and the Northern Midwest Regional Council of Carpenters.
Tom Lutz, executive secretary treasurer of the Northern Midwest Regional Council of Carpenters, said the goal is simple: open doors. “Getting those doors open and providing those opportunities is what we’re doing,” Lutz said.
Rian English-Barnhill, vice president of government and community affairs for Olympia Development, echoed that commitment. “We are all leaning in to put Detroiters to work,” she said.
For many attendees, the event represented more than just a job fair — it was a chance to change their trajectory.
“I don’t know if it’s a for sure opportunity, but it’s an opportunity,” said Markiest Doss, one of the job seekers who participated. “Just ready to upgrade in life.”
Copyright 2026 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.
-
Business5 minutes agoDefying Trump, California continues to bet big on offshore wind
-
Entertainment11 minutes agoStar Wars strikes back with $102 million projected for ‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’
-
Lifestyle17 minutes agoSniff and find connection? These hip fragrance gatherings tantalize L.A.’s ‘smellers’
-
Politics23 minutes agoL.A. voters will cast ballots in eight City Council districts, two with open seats
-
Sports35 minutes agoLAFC coach Marc Dos Santos hopes to restore attacking identity after World Cup
-
World47 minutes agoChina’s Shenzhou-23 astronauts blast off on space station mission
-
News1 hour agoTorn by war, Israelis and Palestinians tie their fortunes together
-
New York3 hours agoAs Easy as Riding a Bike? Adult Learners Give It a Try.