Connect with us

Detroit, MI

Child shot in Detroit • Michigan Central Station opening date revealed • Man attacked at Redford gas station

Published

on

Child shot in Detroit • Michigan Central Station opening date revealed • Man attacked at Redford gas station


A child was on a couch when suspects started firing into a Detroit home early Tuesday, hitting her in the head.

Advertisement

The 11-year-old girl is now in critical condition.

Police said the home in the 6000 block of Pennsylvania near Gratiot and I-94 was full of as many as 20 people when two suspects approached the house around 4 a.m. and started firing.

“All they heard was a bunch of shots coming from outside,” Asst. Chief Charles Fitzgerald said. “This story doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.”

Advertisement

Police say this isn’t the first time this has happened at this home. Fitzgerald said someone opened fire into the house in December 2023. No one was hit during that shooting.

Michigan Central reopening date announced

The wait is almost over – Ford is preparing to unveil Michigan Central Station in a few months.

Advertisement

Ford Motor Co. has spent the past several years renovating the train station after buying the building when it was in a state of disrepair in 2018.

Since then, the building has undergone extensive improvements. 

Advertisement

Ford will share a look inside the historic train depot when it reopens on June 6.

The company worked closely with the Michigan State Historic Preservation Office and National Park Service throughout the project to make sure that the building retained its history while being revamped.

The process included restoring original pieces when possible and replacing parts that weren’t salvageable.

Advertisement

Though it will no longer serve as a train station, Ford has previously said the building will house its autonomous vehicle teams, while the main area will be open to the public.

Man beaten at Redford gas station

A brutal beating Saturday night at a Redford Township gas station happened in front of the victim’s daughter.

Advertisement

“It just felt like 200 feet kicking me,” said Jack, who wants to remain anonymous in fear for his family’s safety.

The victim sustained two black eyes and a broken nose.

Advertisement

“If I didn’t black out, it felt like I was right there. One of them had brass knuckles – the taller one,” he said. “One of them said ‘get the gun’ and the taller one said, ‘leave it, don’t do it.’ Thank God.”

Jack had just picked up his 19-year-old daughter from her boyfriend’s house before stopping for gas on Plymouth Road. As he went inside, he got the sense that he had walked in on an attempted robbery. 

“It was kind of rowdy in there. There was people in there so I kind of got nervous. I knew I had my wallet on me, so I tucked it down,” Jack said. “Then they bought a black ski mask, and they put it on, and that’s when I knew something was going to happen.”

Advertisement

That’s when he was attacked. 

Propane causes Ann Arbor home explosion

Propane use inside a house caused an explosion Monday morning in Ann Arbor.

Advertisement

The blast leveled the home on S. 7th and sent debris flying in all directions. 

“I got a cup of coffee, went down to the basement to work on my stamp collection and heard the explosion,” said Fred Hutchinson, who lives across the street. “The house literally shook, the windows rattled.”

Advertisement

The gas had been shut off to the house, so the homeowner was using propane to heat his home.

“Unfortunately, this probably could have been prevented,” said Ann Arbor Fire Chief Mike Kennedy. “People should not use propane inside a residence for this exact reason.”

The homeowner was able to make it out with only minor injuries. 

Advertisement

“The house directly to the south has some burn damage to it and the windows got blown out. Outside of that, no other properties were impacted,” Kennedy said.

Woman shot outside Troy steak house

A victim was walking to her car with a friend and a baby when someone shot her several times outside Ruth’s Chris Steak House on Monday night.

Advertisement

Sources said the shots were fired from a white Dodge Durango outside the restaurant on Big Beaver in Troy. Hazel Park police chased the suspect’s vehicle into Detroit but lost it.

The victim was struck several times in the legs. She is listed as stable at a hospital.

Advertisement

Troy police said the shooting did not appear to be random, and there is not a threat to the public.

Live on FOX 2

Daily Forecast

The temperatures are rising.

Advertisement

What else we’re watching

Advertisement
  1. The Office of Global Michigan is looking for resident volunteers to house migrants in their homes and help integrate them into U.S. society.
  2. A man is facing charges after authorities say he allegedly exposed himself in the parking lot of a Dearborn Target and performed lewd acts in the store while following women inside the store. Steven Simmons was arrested Feb. 11 after a witness reported him.
  3. A Detroit man who spent nearly seven years in prison for a double murder that he didn’t commit was recently awarded $10 million. 
  4. A woman’s body that was found wrapped up at a Detroit intersection in November 2023, has been identified as 52-year-old Sandra Miller. Now, her family is begging for answers about who killed her. 
  5. With the presidential primary approaching, Rep. Rashida Tlaib is urging Democrats to vote “uncommitted” in protest of President Joe Biden’s Israel support.

‘America’s Most Wanted’ suspect caught in Florida

A man featured on FOX’s America’s Most Wanted has been captured after stepping foot inside Polk County, Sheriff Grady Judd announced Monday.

Davie Albarran, who had a warrant for his arrest in Osceola County for sexual battery on a child under 12 and lewd conduct with a child under 12, was taken into custody in Lakeland on Sunday night, Judd said. The 51-year-old was featured in 2022 on the revived FOX show.

Advertisement

Albarran’s daughter created a social media post with claims of what her father allegedly did to her back in December 2022. 

“Please share and paint the city with his face. My father Davie Albarran is a pedo, he’s on the run and the cops are looking for him,” she said. 

Read more here.

Advertisement



Source link

Detroit, MI

Detroit teen charged, will be tried as adult in downtown shooting

Published

on

Detroit teen charged, will be tried as adult in downtown shooting


A 17-year-old has been charged in a nonfatal ‘teen takeover’ shooting.

The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office charged 17‑year‑old Ramon Javon Perez Smith of Detroit in connection with the non‑fatal shooting of a 14‑year‑old Detroit male. Prosecutor Kym Worthy confirmed that Smith will be tried as an adult.

Smith is charged with assault with intent to murder, assault with intent to do great bodily harm, felonious assault, carrying a concealed weapon, and three counts of felony firearm.

He was arraigned Saturday and given a $500,000 cash bond, along with a GPS tether, house arrest, and an order barring contact with the victim or any witnesses. A bond re‑determination hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, May 27, 2026, before Judge McConico.

Advertisement

Another teen was also charged in the shooting that happened in downtown Detroit during the “teen takeover” event.

The preliminary hearing for a 16-year old from Detroit was held Tuesday on charges of carrying a concealed weapon. He received a $4,000 bond with house arrest.

He was also ordered not to possess any firearms or illegal substances. A pre-trial hearing is scheduled for July 2.

Advertisement

Detroit police were called to the 1300 block of Farmer Street around 9:37 p.m. on May 17, after reports of a shooting. Officers arrived to find the teenage victim with a gunshot wound to the chest. Medics transported him to a nearby hospital where he received emergency treatment and is expected to survive.

According to investigators, Smith was involved in a physical altercation with a group that included the victim. Prosecutors allege that Smith pulled out a handgun and fired multiple shots into the group, hitting the 14‑year‑old before fleeing the scene. Detroit police arrested Smith shortly afterward.

“We are thankful that the 14‑year‑old victim received immediate medical care and will survive this traumatic event,” Prosecutor Worthy said in the release.

mjohnson@detroitnews.com



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

3 injured in separate weekend shootings in Detroit, police say

Published

on

3 injured in separate weekend shootings in Detroit, police say



At least three people are injured after separate weekend shootings across Detroit as of Saturday night.

Advertisement

According to police, a man on the 20600 block of West Eight Mile Road assaulted another man before firing shots on Saturday around 3:04 p.m. Officials said the man shot was grazed by at least one bullet and the suspected shooter was arrested. A weapon was recovered by law enforcement at the scene. 

Roughly 40 minutes after the shooting on Eight Mile Road, a man was shot and had his vehicle stolen on the 19300 block of Rosemont Avenue, according to police. The man was sitting inside his gray Chevrolet Equinox when an unknown individual approached with a gun and demanded money. 

Officials said the man in the Chevrolet was shot after he exited his vehicle. He was taken to the hospital and, as of Saturday night, is in stable condition. The individual who approached the man left the scene in the Equinox, according to police. 

Just before 6 p.m. Saturday, a male teenager was shot while driving in the area of Woodward and West Hildale avenues, near Palmer Park, police said. According to officials, the teen, whose exact age has yet to be disclosed, was traveling in the area when an individual in another vehicle pulled alongside him and fired shots. 

The teen was taken to the hospital. As of Saturday night, he is also in stable condition, officials said.

Advertisement

Police have yet to disclose whether an arrest has been made in the shootings on Rosemont Avenue or near Palmer Park.



Source link

Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

Rain-soaked Detroit job seekers show skills, grit at Comerica Park hiring event

Published

on

Rain-soaked Detroit job seekers show skills, grit at Comerica Park hiring event


DETROIT – Hundreds of Detroiters ditched the paper application and showed up ready to work Saturday, demonstrating their trade skills live in front of contractors looking to hire — right outside Comerica Park.

More than 620 people turned out for the event, braving wet weather to complete a hands-on skills course designed to let job seekers prove what they could do on the spot.

“We’re out in the rain and we’re supporting the city of Detroit,” said Luke Harris, one of the job seekers who participated.

The rain didn’t slow anyone down. Determined applicants trudged through puddles to finish the skills course, performing directly in front of contractors scouting for new hires.

Advertisement

Guy Cohoon of Clark Contracting Services said he was looking for one thing above all else: “Anyone that wants to come in, work hard, and show up every day on time.”

Partners unite to put Detroiters to work

The event was organized by a coalition of local partners, including Olympia Development, the Detroit Tigers, the city of Detroit, and the Northern Midwest Regional Council of Carpenters.

Tom Lutz, executive secretary treasurer of the Northern Midwest Regional Council of Carpenters, said the goal is simple: open doors. “Getting those doors open and providing those opportunities is what we’re doing,” Lutz said.

Rian English-Barnhill, vice president of government and community affairs for Olympia Development, echoed that commitment. “We are all leaning in to put Detroiters to work,” she said.

For many attendees, the event represented more than just a job fair — it was a chance to change their trajectory.

Advertisement

“I don’t know if it’s a for sure opportunity, but it’s an opportunity,” said Markiest Doss, one of the job seekers who participated. “Just ready to upgrade in life.”

Copyright 2026 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending