Connect with us

Cleveland, OH

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo evacuates ‘out of caution’ after reported threat

Published

on

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo evacuates ‘out of caution’ after reported threat


CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) – The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo received a similar threat to those reported across the country Sunday afternoon.

According to the zoo’s Director of Communications Jacqueline Gerling, the zoo proactively evacuated the premises out an abundance of caution.

The evacuation is to ensure the safety of all guests and staff, and the zoo will remain closed for the day.

Gerling told 19 News that the zoo looks to reopen tomorrow.

Advertisement

This is the second threat in Northeast Ohio as Akron Zoo also received a threat earlier this morning.

Akron Zoo evacuated after bomb and active shooter threat

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo is working closely with local authorities and will provide updates as more information becomes available.

This is a developing story. Return to 19 News for updates.

Copyright 2026 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Cleveland, OH

Cleveland officer shot, others hurt after suspect fires at police

Published

on

Cleveland officer shot, others hurt after suspect fires at police


CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) – One cleveland police officer was at shot and others injured Saturday afternoon following responding to a shooting call.

Police responded to a call of a 33-year-old man suffering from gunshot wounds at 5222 Fleet Ave. by the Open Pantry at 2:13 p.m.

Police initiated an investigation and canvassed the scene.

While investigating, police saw a vehicle circling the scene and obtained information suggesting a suspect could have been driving the car.

Advertisement

The Cleveland Police Department said the 24-year-old suspect is believed to have shot at officers several times before fleeing the area.

Allegedly someone shot at the officers’ car on Fleet Ave., Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association President Andy Gasiewski told 19 News reporter Keith Grant.

One officer sustained shrapnel-related injuries from bullet strikes.

With assistance from the Real Time Crime Center, officers located the vehicle near Track Road and Martin Avenue.

Officers attempted to make contact, but the suspect fled, initiating a pursuit.

Advertisement

While in pursuit, the suspect shot at officers, striking their windshield.

In the car shooting, a second officer suffered a graze wound, possibly from a bullet or shrapnel.

One officer fired at the suspect.

The pursuit ended near 15617 Chagrin Blvd. when the suspect crashed into a building.

The suspect attempted to flee on foot, but was taken into custody.

Advertisement

During the pursuit, one police vehicle was involved in a crash and struck a tree.

Another police cruiser, attempting to respond for assistance, was involved in an additional crash near East 75th Street and Kinsman Road.

The officers involved in the East 75th Street and Kinsman Road crash were transported to the hospital.

Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association President Andy Gasiewski told 19 News reporter Keith Grant that the suspect encouraged police to shoot at him.

The first officer who was shot was transported to the hospital and is in stable condition.

Advertisement

One of the officers who sustained injuries received hospital treatment and was released.

All three officers involved in the crash are reported to be in stable condition, with one sustaining injuries.

Police expect the suspect to be released soon, as he was not shot during the incident.

Following his release, police say he will be transported to the county jail.

Charges are still being determined.

Advertisement

The Cleveland Police Force Investigation Team and the Cleveland Police Accident Investigation Unit will conduct the investigation.

Copyright 2026 WOIO. All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading

Cleveland, OH

Family releases statement after off-duty Cleveland Police officer involved in deadly shooting of 26-year-old

Published

on

Family releases statement after off-duty Cleveland Police officer involved in deadly shooting of 26-year-old


CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) – The family of the 26-year-old man who was killed in a shooting involving an off-duty Cleveland Police officer released a statement Friday morning.

On Wednesday night, at about 8 p.m., Cleveland Police officers responded to the parking lot near 1435-1451 East Boulevard for a reported shooting.

When police arrived, they found the victim suffering from gunshot wounds. Officers provided first aid until Cleveland EMS arrived and transported the man to University Hospitals, where he was pronounced dead.

He was later identified as Akili Hammond. The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner has ruled his death a homicide, with the cause determined to be multiple gunshot wounds.

Advertisement
Family releases statement after off-duty Cleveland Police officer involved in deadly shooting of 26-year-old(Family of Akili Hammond)

Police said a group was arguing when the situation escalated and gunshots were fired. The 22-year-old off-duty officer was at the scene when the shooting occurred.

Scanner traffic captured the moment officers discovered one of their own was involved.

Police found a gun at the apartments that they believe belongs to the victim.

Below is the statement Hammond’s family released:

Investigation underway

The Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Office is handling the investigation. The initial investigation revealed shots were fired by multiple individuals, including the off-duty officer.

According to the Cleveland Division of Police, the off-duty officer appeared not to be acting in an official law enforcement capacity at the time of the shooting. The officer was not injured.

“We are deeply concerned by the circumstances surrounding this incident and the actions of the individuals involved,” Cleveland Police said. “The Cleveland Division of Police holds its members to a high standard, both on and off duty.”

Advertisement

The investigation remains active. Police said more information will be released when it is available.

Copyright 2026 WOIO. All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading

Cleveland, OH

East Cleveland neighborhood sees cleanup progress, residents hope for more

Published

on

East Cleveland neighborhood sees cleanup progress, residents hope for more


EAST CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) – A lot that used to be filled with trash is now clear. A street covered in potholes now has fresh asphalt.

A woman living across the street says the improvements on Potomac Avenue came a few weeks after a story from 19 News.

Trucks arrived at the beginning of May to clean out the lot.

“It’s not at all the same, not at all the same.”

Advertisement

Maldria, who grew up on the street, said the recent work gives her hope, after watching the area fall into disrepair for so long.

“It’s a good feeling, maybe the city is coming back. I see a lot of rebuilding,” she said.

Grass is growing where trash used to fill lots.

Patches have smoothed out the road.

But Maldria said abandoned houses still break her heart.

Advertisement

“Hopefully, in the next two to five years we see a difference. I’m praying that we do, I see a difference; it’s coming back slowly but surely,” she said.

Residents want cleanup to expand

She and others living in the area are hoping the work extends one street over to Northfield Avenue.

Following reporting from 19 News, potholes on that street were patched last month, but piles of trash continue to grow.

Large pieces of garbage are threatening to fall onto the sidewalk and road.

Tires are stacked in piles.

Advertisement

Road conditions and abandoned houses remain on the list of concerns residents want addressed.

When asked what it would mean to see not just one street but a neighborhood cleaned up, Maldria said it would be almost like a dream.

“Oh my God, I mean it would be unbelievable, almost like a dream you know?” she said.

19 News reached out to the city’s line for reporting illegal dumping took down the area information and said it would be forwarded to the director and the mayor’s office.

Copyright 2026 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending