Cooper Kupp was eager to return to the field, but other priorities kept the Rams’ star receiver sidelined for most of the team’s offseason program.
Kupp’s longer-than-expected recovery from an ankle injury was ongoing. More importantly to Kupp, he and his wife were expecting the birth of their third child.
The Kupps recently welcomed another son.
“As much as I … love this game and how much I love these guys here — I had to be with my family,” Kupp said Tuesday after his first full on-field workout during organized team activities. “It was something I chose to do because that is a higher priority than football. So I had to be there.
“But I’m very glad to be back.”
On Tuesday, Kupp mainly worked on the sideline with trainers. He went through agility and strength drills, ran short pass routes and counseled younger receivers. At the end of practice, Kupp joined the first-team offense for a two-minute drill conducted at jog-through pace.
Despite being limited, Kupp was present and his presence on the field was palpable, coach Sean McVay said.
“He really is an extension of the coaching staff, and he sees so many different things,” McVay said. “But he really wants to pour into his teammates.”
Kupp, who will turn 30 on June 15, is one of the three pillars on a Rams roster that has undergone a drastic makeover since last season’s embarrassing 5-12 finish. General manager Les Snead traded, released or declined to re-sign nearly two-dozen players as the Rams went into financial retreat with an apparent eye toward 2024 and beyond.
Kupp, the 2021 NFL offensive player of the year, is scheduled to carry a team-high $27.8-million salary-cap number this season. That eclipses star defensive lineman Aaron Donald, who has a $26-million cap number, and quarterback Matthew Stafford ($20 million).
In 2021, Kupp achieved the so-called triple crown of receiving by leading the NFL with 145 catches for 1,947 yards and 16 touchdowns. Last season, Kupp was sidelined for the final eight games. He finished with 75 catches for 812 yards and six touchdowns, with one rushing touchdown.
Kupp sounded frustrated that he was not able to return sooner.
“This is not the timeline that we expected this to be,” he said, adding, “That’s the point of the surgery, to try and get back quicker and, unfortunately, things didn’t work out that way.”
When a player suffers a season-ending injury, “that season kind of just drags on forever,” he said.
“There’s never really a stopping point where you leave the facility,” he said, “because I’ve been in here still rehabbing, doing all that stuff. So it does get long, but man, if you love football it doesn’t really matter.”
Kupp said trainers have not given him an exact date for when he could resume a full workout regimen. But he is “feeling really good” about his progress.
“It’s a good place to be now,” he said, “where I feel like I’m asking for more and wanting to do more and feeling like you’re getting held back, versus feeling like they’re pushing you to do more.
“So we’re in a good place now where I feel like I want to get out there and play, and they’re being cautious with it.”
Kupp’s absence has enabled receivers such as Van Jefferson, Tutu Atwell and rookie Puka Nacua to take more reps with Stafford, who did not throw passes last offseason because of right elbow tendonitis.
Stafford, preparing for his 15th NFL season, has been a full participant in offseason workouts. Kupp said that he and Stafford would work together before the start of training camp.
“We’ve already been talking about what that’s going to look like,” Kupp said, adding, “We want to maximize these next couple months and the time we get to have together.”
Cubs announcers rip Braves over ‘absurd’ play stoppage for Ronald Acuña Jr. after historic moment
Atlanta Braves superstar Ronald Acuña Jr. continues to make history.
In the 10th inning of Wednesday night’s game against the Chicago Cubs, Acuña stole his 70th base of the season. Last week, the Braves outfielder hit his 40th home run of the season during a game against the Washington Nationals.
Acuña became the first player in MLB history to enter the 40-70 club.
Moments after he stole the base, Acuña grabbed the base pad from the dirt as Braves fans gave him a standing ovation. The Braves also played a short video montage on the outfield big screen.
The Chicago Cubs’ broadcasters took exception to the extended pause in the game. Announcers Jon “Boog” Sciambi and Jim Deshaies said the decision to stop the game and recognize Acuña’s accomplishment was “absurd.”
BRAVES’ SPENCER STRIDER OFFERS SCORCHING HOT TAKE: ‘GET RID OF THE FANS’
“We’re really stopping the game to do a highlight montage?” Sciambi said during the Marquee Sports Network broadcast.
Deshaies then questioned the need to remove the base during the game.
“Can we get the base after the game? This is pretty absurd. I mean, it’s a hell of an accomplishment, but …,” Deshaies said.
Sciambi reiterated his frustrations with the video montage.
“Totally, but you can’t stop the game to run a highlight montage,” Sciambi said.
The Cubs are fighting for their postseason lives after missing the playoffs the last two seasons.
Shortly after Acuña made it safely to second base, All-Star second baseman Ozzie Albies hit a walk-off single to give the Braves a second straight one-run win over the Cubs. The loss dropped Chicago to 82-76, and the team is tied with the Marlins for third place in the NL wild-card standings.
“It’s really an incredible moment,” Acuña told reporters after the game through an interpreter.
Acuña has hit 41 home runs this year. Alex Rodriguez had been the only player with 40 home runs to steal more than 46 bases in the same season. In 1998, Rodriguez had 42 home runs, 124 RBIs and 46 steals.
MLB added bigger bases this season to bring more base-running excitement to the game.
Acuña and Los Angeles Dodgers star Mookie Betts are widely considered the front-runners for NL MVP.
Preakness winner heads stakes race fields as Santa Anita starts fall meet
Santa Anita opens its fall meeting Friday with higher than normal anticipation because it closes with the Breeders’ Cup on Nov. 3-4. What that means is a mad dash to get in as many big races as possible in the first two weekends of its 19-day meeting. This gives the horses enough time to recover and run in the million-dollar races the first weekend of November that signal the unofficial end of the racing year.
Starting Friday there are nine stakes this weekend, including the Grade 1 $300,000 Awesome Again race that features Preakness Stakes winner National Treasure among a field of nine.
Next weekend there are six stakes over a three-day weekend that ends Monday with three races where the winners are automatically entered, all expenses paid, into a Breeders’ Cup race. Of course, when you are racing at this year’s Breeders Cup track, the expenses for the sanctioning group are a whole lot less.
Saturday’s Awesome Again, also a win-and-your-in race for the Breeders’ Cup, is the most intriguing of the weekend. It grew less interesting Wednesday when trainer Tim Yakteen decided not to enter Practical Move, winner of this year’s Santa Anita Derby. The colt was all set to be one of the favorites in the Kentucky Derby but spiked a fever two days before the race and was scratched. He hasn’t run since.
The entering of National Treasure was a mild surprise, but trainer Bob Baffert has been liking what he’s seen of the 3-year-old colt since he returned to Santa Anita.
“I liked the way he breezed last week,” Baffert said. “The Travers (finished fifth) was sort of a disaster. But I’m putting the blinkers back on. He just doesn’t get into the race without it. You have to just draw a line through the Travers.”
Horses are given blinkers near the outside to their eyes to help focus a horse’s attention on what’s in front of them and not what’s going on around them. National Treasure won the Preakness with blinkers.
The Awesome Again is a 1 1/8-mile race, 1/16th of a mile shorter than the Preakness, which he won in front-running style under a masterful ride by John Velazquez. Juan Hernandez, who has been Baffert’s main jockey of late with Velazquez riding at the Belmont at Aqueduct meeting, will get off Baffert’s other horse, Defunded, to ride National Treasure.
The morning line disagrees with Hernandez’s decision to move to the Preakness winner, making him the 4-1 third choice. Defunded is the 2-1 favorite.
Defunded is no slouch, having won this race last year. He was underwhelming in his last two races at Del Mar, a fourth in the San Diego Handicap as the odds-on favorite, and sixth in the Pacific Classic.
The 5-year-old gelding has been pretty good at Santa Anita, though, winning four of his six lifetime starts at the track. The other two races were a second and third.
“He always run his best races at Santa Anita,” Baffert said. “He never looked comfortable at Del Mar. He’s just a horse for the course down here. He’s worked well here. We’ll see if he runs his race.”
Edwin Maldonado returns to ride Defunded, which he did last year when they won the Awesome Again. The 40-year-old Puerto Rico native finally is starting to get the better mounts as he keeps winning. Last year’s win in the Awesome Again was his first Grade 1 win. On Saturday, he won his first $1 million race, the Grade 1 Cotillion at Parx near Philadelphia, riding Ceiling Crusher over a very sloppy track. The 3-year-old filly is based in Southern California for trainer Doug O’Neill.
The Awesome Again has a pretty good field, which includes Senor Buscador (5-1 odds), winner of the San Diego Handicap; Slow Down Andy (5-2), who always seems to be near the top in tough graded stakes; Skinner (8-1), who was getting a lot of buzz before scratching out of the Kentucky Derby the day before the race this year, and Stilleto Boy (6-1), winner of the Santa Anita Handicap but was eased and didn’t finish in the Pacific Classic.
Another interesting set of matchups Saturday is in the six-furlong Grade 2 $200,000 Santa Anita Sprint Championship. Dr. Schivel, who lost the 2021 Breeders’ Cup Sprint by a nose, won his last race at Santa Anita easily in May. He then finished fifth in the Met Mile at Belmont and third in the Bing Crosby at Del Mar. He is the 9-5 morning-line favorite.
The 5-year-old had to overcome a 10-month layoff after suffering some bone bruising when he ran in the Golden Shaheen in Dubai. His Santa Anita win was his comeback race.
Baffert has three contenders in the nine-horse field. Most notable among them is Arabian Lion (5-2), who recently won the Sir Barton Stakes at Pimlico and the Woody Stephens at Belmont. Baffert also has Fort Bragg (6-1), winner of the Pat Day Mile at Churchill Downs and the Dwyer at Belmont, and Speed Boat Beach (12-1), a bit of mystery in that his last three races were on the turf and his last race was in December, a win in the Cecil B. DeMille at Del Mar.
Hernandez will ride Dr. Schivel and Maldonado will handle Arabian Lion.
There are two other graded stakes Saturday, the Grade 2 $200,000 Eddie D Stakes, which is 6½ furlongs down the downhill turf course. The race is named for legendary jockey Eddie Delahoussaye. There is also the Grade 2 $200,000 City of Hope Stakes for horses going a mile on the turf.
Friday’s opening day has the Grade 3 $100,000 Chillingworth Stakes for fillies and mares going 6½ furlongs on the dirt. Eda is the 4-5 morning-line favorite for the Baffert-Hernandez combination. She has won eight of 10 lifetime, despite a 13-month layoff from 2022 to this year.
Sunday’s card has three graded stakes.
Travis Hunter, Henry Blackburn appear to bury hatchet after brutal hit
Colorado Buffaloes star Travis Hunter and Colorado State safety Henry Blackburn appeared to bury any animosity between them on Wednesday night.
Rams defensive lineman James Mitchell posted on his Instagram Stories showing Hunter and Blackburn shaking hands and meeting.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXBUSINESS.COM
“God has a bigger plan,” Blackburn wrote on his Instagram Stories.
Blackburn and Hunter were caught up in controversy during their game this month. Blackburn nailed Hunter with a late hit after a pass meant for the two-way star flew over his head. He was later hospitalized – reportedly for a lacerated spleen.
“It’s football at the end of the day. Stuff like that is going to happen,” Hunter said in a Bleacher Report interview on the Monday after the game. “Just gotta get up and fight again. Good thing the doctors stopped me because if there was no doctors there I’d still be out there playing.
DEION SANDERS PRAISES HISTORY-MAKING FEMALE COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER, CONCERNED FOR HER SAFETY
“But we’re going to do what we’ve got do to take care of him,” Sanders said. “So, I know Travis like a book, he probably is going to want to be out for two weeks, but we’ve got to make sure his health is more important than this game.”
Blackburn reportedly received death threats over the hit.
Colorado coach Deion Sanders condemned the vitriol.
“Henry Blackburn is a good player who played a phenomenal game,” Sanders said. “He made a tremendous hit on Travis on the sideline. You can call it dirty, you can call it ‘he was just playing the game of football.’
“But whatever it was, it does not constitute that he should be receiving death threats. This is still a young man trying to make it in life. A guy that is trying to live his dream and hopefully graduate with honors or a degree, committed to excellence and go to the NFL. He does not deserve a death threat over a game.”
Fox News’ Joe Morgan contributed to this report.
No. 7 Arkansas Stays Perfect in SEC Play
California college employee who killed retired administrator sentenced to life
Colorado athletic director sends letter urging students to refrain from ‘rushing the field’ at home games
NTSB: 2021 Connecticut plane crash that killed 2 Boston doctors caused by parking brake
A craft brewery closing and a new police chief hired. Test your Delaware news knowledge
Colorado Rockies game no. 116 thread: Zac Gallen vs José Ureña
See it: Tesla crashes into Columbus convention center at 70 mph
Fox News Politics: Georgia the whole day through
Death of missing Oregon girl found in stream ruled homicide
At least 2 dead as tornadoes hit Alabama, damage homes across Southeast
Former Michigan marijuana board head gets almost 5 years in federal prison
German-Italian riff thwarts EU deal on new rules for migration crises
Fossil fuel rules catch Western towns between old economies and new green goals
Fox News Politics: 5 fiery moments from the second GOP debate
Thai police seize $8.15m worth methamphetamine pills, other drugs
Technology1 week ago
What’s next for Windows and Surface without Panos Panay?
Movie Reviews1 week ago
‘The Peasants’ Review: ‘Loving Vincent’ Directors Return With a Sumptuous Animated Portrait of a Polish Village
Politics1 week ago
Fauci and wife’s net worth exceeded $11M when he departed government post, disclosures reveal
News1 week ago
5 Americans freed from prison in Iran land on U.S. soil
Movie Reviews1 week ago
The Hollywood Reporter Critics Pick the 15 Best Films of the Fall Fests
Technology1 week ago
Microsoft’s next Xbox, coming 2028, envisions hybrid computing
Technology1 week ago
Google quietly raised ad prices to boost search revenue, says executive
News1 week ago
Suspect arrested in ambush slaying of US deputy sheriff in California