Ohio’s weeklong deer hunting season has officially wrapped up and the final numbers are in. Here’s how Mahoning Valley did this year.


According to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) hunters took a total of 70,118 deer this year. This is a slight decrease from last year’s numbers with the state reporting 71,931 deer taken. The three-year average is 71,322 deer.

During the hunting week, Ohioans checked 25,044 antlered deer, accounting for 36% of the harvest and 45,074 antlerless deer counting for the other 64%.

Locally, the final numbers in the Mahoning Valley are as follows:

– Columbiana County: 1,464

According to ODNR, straight-walled cartridge rifles have become more popular for deer hunting since becoming legal for hunting in 2014. This year, these rifles were used to harvest 60% of the deer checked this season.


Meanwhile, shotguns accounted for 34%, 4% were taken with a muzzleloader, 1% were taken with archery equipment and 1% were taken with handguns.

If you missed out this time around, hunters have another opportunity to harvest deer with firearms during the bonus gun weekend on Saturday, December 16 and Sunday December 17. The muzzleloader season is January 6 through 9 and the archery season remains open through Sunday, February 4.