Cleveland, OH
East Cleveland neighborhood sees cleanup progress, residents hope for more
EAST CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) – A lot that used to be filled with trash is now clear. A street covered in potholes now has fresh asphalt.
A woman living across the street says the improvements on Potomac Avenue came a few weeks after a story from 19 News.
Trucks arrived at the beginning of May to clean out the lot.
“It’s not at all the same, not at all the same.”
Maldria, who grew up on the street, said the recent work gives her hope, after watching the area fall into disrepair for so long.
“It’s a good feeling, maybe the city is coming back. I see a lot of rebuilding,” she said.
Grass is growing where trash used to fill lots.
Patches have smoothed out the road.
But Maldria said abandoned houses still break her heart.
“Hopefully, in the next two to five years we see a difference. I’m praying that we do, I see a difference; it’s coming back slowly but surely,” she said.
Residents want cleanup to expand
She and others living in the area are hoping the work extends one street over to Northfield Avenue.
Following reporting from 19 News, potholes on that street were patched last month, but piles of trash continue to grow.
Large pieces of garbage are threatening to fall onto the sidewalk and road.
Tires are stacked in piles.
Road conditions and abandoned houses remain on the list of concerns residents want addressed.
When asked what it would mean to see not just one street but a neighborhood cleaned up, Maldria said it would be almost like a dream.
“Oh my God, I mean it would be unbelievable, almost like a dream you know?” she said.
19 News reached out to the city’s line for reporting illegal dumping took down the area information and said it would be forwarded to the director and the mayor’s office.
Copyright 2026 WOIO. All rights reserved.
Cleveland, OH
Current, former Cleveland firefighters among 122 people arrested in Attorney General’s latest statewide sex sting
(WJW) — A statewide sex sting coordinated by Attorney General Dave Yost’s office led to the arrests of one current and one former Cleveland firefighter on prostitution charges.
Dozens of law enforcement agencies across Ohio between May 13 and May 20 collaborated on Operation Spring Cleaning, which led to 122 human trafficking arrests in 15 counties, according to a news release from the AG’s office.
Of those, 38 people were arrested on felony charges for allegedly trying to meet with undercover officers posing as minors for sex. Another 84 “johns” were caught dealing with prostitutes, authorities allege.
The investigation also identified 42 human trafficking survivors, who were referred to health care and social services organizations.
Search warrants executed at 15 Ohio massage parlors suspected of offering illegal services — in Akron, Grafton, Willoughby and elsewhere — yielded $120,000 in forfeitures and other evidence.
Cuyahoga, Lake, Mahoning and Trumbull counties
The Northeast Ohio Human Trafficking Task Force arrested seven people and executed a search warrant at a local spa.
- The search warrant was at Oriental Spa, 37812 Vine St., Willoughby, where the task force seized $20,000 in cash as part of an ongoing investigation.
- The task force arrested Jason Petrov, 57, of Brooklyn, and Patrick Moner, 63, of Cleveland, each on a count of engaging in prostitution. Petrov is an active Cleveland firefighter and Moner is a retired Cleveland firefighter, according to the AG’s office.
- Dustin Crowder, 41, of Georgia, and Jeffrey Murphy, 53, of Lyndhurst, both believed they were meeting with juveniles for sex, according to the AG’s office. The task force arrested both on charges of compelling prostitution and possessing criminal tools.
- The task force arrested Michael Pavlov, 29, of Newton Falls, on charges of rape and endangering children in a case involving a 6-year-old.
- The task force arrested Jeffrey Villanueva, 56, of Niles, and Jeff Anders, 55, of Boardman, on charges of attempted unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, importuning and possessing criminal tools.
- The task force also secured the indictment of Misti McKinney, 38, of Youngstown, on charges of trafficking in persons, promoting prostitution, soliciting, robbery, retaliation and others. McKinney is accused of coercing victims as young as 17 into prostitution, as reported by FOX 8 sister station 27 First News.
Huron, Erie, Ashland and Lorain counties
The H.E.A.L. Human Trafficking Task Force made one arrest, executed one search warrant at a local spa and identified three human trafficking survivors who were referred to social services. They also seized $18,622 in cash.
- The task force raided King Me Spa, 35111 Royalton Road, Grafton.
- The task force arrested Mesha Michael Savi, 33, of Carlisle Township, on a charge of pandering sexually oriented matter involving a minor.
Medina and Summit counties
The Summit Regional Human Trafficking Task Force charged three people with sex charges relating to minors and raided a spa.
- The task force executed a search warrant at La Lune Spa, 102 Western Ave., Akron.
- The task force charged Izaeik Groos, 24, of Akron; Jordan Novak, 38, of Euclid; and Tyrell Taylor, 38, of Akron, each with importuning and attempted unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.
84 ‘Johns’ charged
Of the 84 “Johns” caught during the operation allegedly trying to buy sex, nearly 50 were from Northeast Ohio. See the full list of arrests below:
Yost’s office has conducted eight large-scale human trafficking busts since 2019, which have resulted in more than 1,000 arrests, according to the AG’s office.
Cleveland, OH
2 shot at Cleveland barbershop, suspect on the run
CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) – Two people were shot at a barbershop on the city’s East side Thursday afternoon.
This happened around 1:30 p.m. in the 3000 block of Superior Ave. in the city’s Goodrich-Kirtland Park neighborhood.
The barber shop where the shooting happened is located in a building at Danford Court and East 31st Place.
Police say the individuals who were shot were a 14-year-old and an 18-year-old.
Cleveland police and EMS have responded to the scene.
At this time, officers are searching for the suspect.
This is a developing story. Return to 19 News for updates.
Copyright 2026 WOIO. All rights reserved.
Cleveland, OH
Off-duty Cleveland Police officer involved in deadly shooting in Glenville neighborhood
CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) – A 26-year-old man was shot on Cleveland’s East Side Wednesday night by an off-duty Cleveland Police Officer.
The incident happened just before 8 p.m. in the 1400 block of East BLVD.
Preliminary information indicates that an off-duty Cleveland Police officer was at this location when a verbal altercation ensued and shots were fired. A firearm believed to belong to the man was recovered at the scene.
Police said the man was pronounced dead at the hospital.
The investigation is being handled by the Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Office.
The off-duty officer was not injured.
More information related to this shooting will be released when it is available.
Copyright 2026 WOIO. All rights reserved.
-
Detroit, MI20 minutes agoMichigan man dies months after alleged attack by DoorDash driver
-
San Francisco, CA32 minutes ago20 women sue SF sheriff after alleged mass strip search ‘for training’
-
Dallas, TX38 minutes agoFriends are rallying for Ruby Gonzalez’s family after the crash
-
Miami, FL44 minutes agoMiami Heat’s Bam Adebayo wins NBA’s Social Justice Champion award for his work helping underserved communities
-
Boston, MA50 minutes agoSecond suspect charged in armed bank robberies in Boston
-
Denver, CO56 minutes agoFamily identifies teenage victim of deadly shooting at recreation center in Denver
-
Seattle, WA1 hour agoSeattle Social Housing Developer buys $60M apartment building
-
San Diego, CA1 hour agoPhotos: Graduates of the University of San Diego